Vulkan has only 8 games utilizing it

>vulkan has only 8 games utilizing it
>recent benchmarks from December has only closed the FPS gap for each card.
>even with some updates, Nvidia is still taking the lead in some games even in 1440p

I haven't fell for the 1060v480 meme, I'm still using the 660 but I feel for a upgrade. Should I stick with the 1060? I only expect to upgrade every 1 1/2 years.
I'm tired of waiting at this point, I expected AMD would get their shit together and improves the drivers but seems like Nvidia is also working on theirs to avoid them from closing the gap in some areas.
Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html
youtube.com/watch?v=CiYQqNiqQKU
youtube.com/watch?v=s12S74umruY&t=163s
youtube.com/watch?v=gEw3CaNSbUo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

480 vs 1060 is not an easy decision but I'd still go for the former. it just performs better overall.

and you don't have to deal with the apple-tier ecosystem shit nvidia is trying to build for itself.

Even considering 1440p on a midrange card seems retarded. You'll probably choose a 1060 based on your questions.

what 8 games use Vulkan?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support

those cards are perfectly good for 1440p, especially with adaptive sync

the only game I don't get stable 60fps in is witcher 3 and that game was engineered to give nvidia an edge

>4 Android games
>4 windows games, one of which doesn't support Vulkan yet

Looks like DOOM is the only significant release

>480
>performs better
You are aware that the 1060 outperforms the 480 in multiple games at launch and even until now with the shitload of drivers AMD and Nvidia has done right?

I'd go for a 480 just because it has 2gb extra vram

Like nvidia's 3.5 meme car is choking now, so will the 6gb 1060 when scorpio is out

I have a 480 and get 60 on gtav, not sure what they were doing wrong with that test.

Do you use 4xMSAA?

at least we know that Valve will have full Vulkan support for all the games they're never going to make

Literally no difference in benchmarks for the 2GB VRAM difference, except for maybe Hitman or Doom since they're optimize for ayymd.

Post multi game score instead of cherrypicking.

both TPU and canucks do it IIRC

>Dec 5 Benchmarks hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html
>Relive update benchmarks youtube.com/watch?v=CiYQqNiqQKU

with goyworks on sure, the game does better on AMD equivalents without meme settings enabled.

AMD has Memesync as well and just barely keeps up. Even with the two running out the meme function the 1060 still wins.

I wish more games would support Vulkan but it seems like DirectX will win again

Shouldn't the Dolphin emulator be listed? It's had support for a while.

>Should I stick with the 1060? I only expect to upgrade every 1 1/2 years.
yeah, especially since you can oc gtx 1060 easily to perform just like 8 less frames below stock gtx 1070

that's actually bullshit

see signs point towards the same old dichotomy, except with Vulkan replacing OpenGL. the big difference here is that DX12 is (AFAIK) much easier to re-implement than older DX versions. considering we already have OGL wrappers for DX (eg for games like Witcher 2 on Linux), it only makes sense that Vulkan wrappers for DX will come out eventually, and the overhead will be much lesser.

at worst that means more Linux ports and more modern engines with Win7/8 support. at best that means full DX compat in Wine.

It's not a game.

Not yet. Wait two years and you'll start seeing games that can top up 6GB easily.

You're not a game.

He'll "go with the 1060" because this threads is designed to shill for nvidia.

He's not actually buying anything and the OP's in these threads never substantiate anything they say with any evidence.

secondlife already does

What's holding back games from using more vram is the huge number of 1-2GB vram cards right now. Developers build their games around the mid-low end cards in the market, not the high end.

In an ideal world, they'd design around the high end and have settings that lower for regular users, but incompetence tends to make that impossible in practice.

I know this is an nvidia shilling thread, but 1060 vs 480 is pretty braindead simple: The 480 is cheaper but equal in performance, with some games being better for one, and some games being better for the other. Then consider the 480's got actual hardware implementations for vulkan/dx12 tech which the 1060 doesn't, and it's got 2GB more vram; the 480's going to age better.

>designed to shill for nvidia
Sorry bud but I'm not autistic, why the fuck would I spend time and effort fanboying for a company? I only care about numbers and wanted Sup Forums's opinions if the AMD would outperform Nvidia in the future with drivers as they did the 7000 series that still worked pretty good even with today's standards.

see >amdfags on suicide watch

Shill or not kid, but Nvidiots win this round.

why would you spend time and effort doing anything? salary of course

you got Sup Forums's opinion. the 480 is better now. not in the future. now.

if you'd actually read the hardwarecanucks benchmark you would notice that they had the two cards performing equally at DX11/1440p and the 480 handily winning at DX12

>"So which one of these would I buy? That will likely boil down to whatever is on sale at a given time but I’ll step right into and say the RX 480 8GB."

holy shit it's like you're being retarded on purpose

You keep telling me I'm shilling for Nvidia but I post links with references and benchmarks, everyone here is saying 480 is better now but have no proof of whatsoever to present

what happened to the ayymd wait meme? I thought there cards were supposed to be better over time?

>links with references and benchmarks
was it you that posted the hardwarecanucks review?

the one that literally word for word says the 480 is better?

I chose the AMD option and am very happy with it so far. I really couldn't find any good reason to pick the Nvidia alternative. Any review, they are always within 5% or so. Its not like Im going to notice a 6 fps difference anyway. Now that AMD is going full open source on their drivers, I know it will have good support on any OS. Nvidia has had more driver fuck ups this year to believe that they care about their customers that much. And I won't have to sign in to Facebook® or have the GeForce® Experience ® telemetry spyware installed to download the newest drivers.

Freesync doesn't increase FPS

You were supposed to buy a 480

youtube.com/watch?v=s12S74umruY&t=163s

youtube.com/watch?v=gEw3CaNSbUo