/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

hodinkee.com/articles/greubel-forsey-announces-mechanical-nano-project-with-180-day-movement-in-less-space-than-in-a-conve-2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bling bling faggots

Rubber chinkstrap for the sea urchin is in the mail

Smart watch is just fucking retarded, especially Apple Watch.
Good thing I watch Youtube video review before buying any smart watch.

1. Watch face
I'm expecting at least 100+ different built in watch faces, but you only see 10 at most, and it's mixed between digital and analog watch face.

2. Up to 18 hours battery life
Yeah, with built in 334 mAh battery.
What a fucking joke.

3. Activity / Fitness tracker
I don't exercise

4. Notification
Unfortunately, the smart watch screen is so fucking small so you still need your phone to reply.

5. Display
It only turns on if you move your wrist to check the time.
This is a real turn off for me.
Well, with 334 mAh battery, what do you expect ?

6. Price
Price range starts from $400+.
With all those "features" above, only a retard will buy smart watch. Call me back when it has Gatebox feature.

tl;dr :
There's no single good reason to get smart watch.

>Unfortunately, the smart watch screen is so fucking small so you still need your phone to reply.
you're supposed to use the microphone

>Buttmad because he can't join the wrist botnet

Why would you obvious samefag on a new thread?

Have some soviet

Russia

should i?

look cheap/uggo

get an explorer instead

They're ok. How long did it take you to save up for it? For not a whole lot longer you could get an explorer.

used explorer is like 4 times as much but uglier. i don't buy watches for brand recognition

For what reason? There's no reason to buy this EXCEPT for brand recognition.

Time to trigger g.

it looks great

Nice 15202ST.

Why would this trigger though? The cartier is monkey dick ugly and the yachtmaster should be replaced with an explorer otherwise it's fine I guess.

It's a $1200 eta 2824.

but very few people know the brand

Too bad money can't buy taste

Thanks how the hell can you identify it so fast?

Yeah Cartier is trash. And the YM is being sold soon

Nice stamped clasps.

i can get it for $900 new

It's one of my grails, along with the chronometre bleu.

Nice

Even at $900 it's a stretch. The only reason it costs so much because of the brand name. The brand is known for its technology. This is the brand without any of the technology.

Tegimented or bust

If you're not getting a sinn for brand recognition then why the fuck would you get a sinn?

you have stuff that i can't afford

build quality and minimalist looks?

That's why it costs half of any of their watches with their tech in them! Kind of unusual to see the hardcore tool watch brand being called overpriced, what can you get that's nicer for less money?

$900 for a solid watch with a quality movement isn't too much to ask.
Seiko ask no more for a Shogun. With a worse movement than the 556 to boot. If I recall correctly the 556 totes a Top Grade 2824, so well within +/-5 seconds a day.

Why bother buying a Sinn with an ETA 2824 and without a tegimented case, or dehumidifying technology?

Nice collection, seriously considering adding an AP to mine but can't bring myself due to their supposedly extortionate servicing policy. Guess that's the cost of owning such pieces.

Nice collection user. Welcome!
How long have you been collecting m8?

Are those your only two watches? They look so similar.

To me they're completely different watches, i guess they do look the same but they wear and feel very different. I have a few more. Here's my GMT

Rate my meme

Seiko Turtle

I'm a poorfag neet, what kind of cheap automatic watch should I get?

seiko snk809

orient

Why would this trigger /wt/? You're literally not even the richest poster ITT. 15202ST is good choice though.

I'm the user who also posted this
Snk809 is my poorfag grail :(
I'm thinking of getting a vostok or parnis

why would you need a watch if you're neet?

I can sell you mine for about tree fiddy

Because I still go outside and have a girlfriend... I like being able to check the time instead of pulling out my phone.

How does it feel knowing that you can't treat your girl?

am I reading that right, you can't afford $60?

in b4 sugar mama

>neet
>gf
not for long

Here's my whole poorfag collection.
I'm not completely broke I'm just frugal so I wouldn't buy a 1000$ watch. And if anything my girl treats me :)
I can I just want the most bang for my buck aka value for my dollero.
Hahaha 2 years so far we might get married..

>2 years
>might get married

Did you just turn 18?

oh you meant already have one

Is this a watch thread or a shitpost about anons relationship thread..?

Anyway I know you guys are gonna spaz out but has anyone bought one of these chink skeleton watches? If it lasts a year I'd be happy.

What's your wrist size? I love the sea dweller and gmt. Good job not falling for the submariner meme. But I wouldn't own a deep sea and a sea dweller.

Yeah, some user spent $80 on his and we showed him his exact one for $7. Don't think he's been back.

Looks like a mallwatch/10

Poorfag guy here. How fucked would I be if I bought this? 80$

Someone will usually post >rolex
And I'm definitely not even close to the richest person here and I know it. I'm an old single fuck.
I like it. But I like your deep sea more.
Hey I was never really into collecting watches till maybe this year. Only the DSSD YM and 15202st are mine. Rest belong to bro. Started spending on watches 22 years ago. Tag 2000>Tag 6000>YM>datejust fluted>Omega seamaster. Sold most of those over 10 years ago. Gonna dump the YM to put towards a PP in maybe years.

Yeah it was tough to swallow. Especially in Canada with weak CDN dollar.

I bought a Parnis about a year ago. You get what you pay for, so I would recommend saving up a bit more and buying a similar Seagull, which gets you guaranteed quality control.

Remember that Parnis is not a brand, it's just a name chink shit watch makers use.

I like mine, but I was lucky. If you get one anyway, keep in mind that you have to change the band since it's utter shit.

Looking for a decent diver for around $200-$300 as a first watch for everyday casual wear. Mainly been looking at Seiko and Orient stuff.

I have wrists that are a slightly larger than 6". Any suggestions?

You're a bit of a wristlet, but try looking into the SKX007, Orient Mako 2 or Ray. Or save up a bit more for a SRP77.

It actually doesn't/10

R8
I could watch the face all day.

Skx013.

Is it a big watch or do you just have tiny wrists?

I'm a huge/tiny wristlet.

Hey Avocado can you post your collection pic again?
I forgot to save it.

Fucking hell it's like people can't do things for themselves.

Lol

>There's no single good reason to get smart watch.

Let's see, it can impress technologically illiterate rich clients. It leads to friendly chats, builds good relationships, which will end up bringing in more money than what you used to buy the watch itself.

At least that's what my friend said to justify the purchase. I'm still not touching those pieces of shit myself.

>It leads to friendly chats, builds good relationships
>At least that's what my friend said to justify the purchase
You know what leads to friendly chats? A friendly person and approachable attitude. And seriously
>buying something supposedly builds good relationships

check the archive you little crippled bitch

>You know what leads to friendly chats?
obviously not, where do you think we are.

who /saving for a speedy/ here?

God speed user.

It's all I want. It's everything I want.

>>>/reddit/

>damagedgoods.jpg

Why the hate nineball?

not hating, just having fun.

Please don't bully me nineball, I'm just a guy saving for a speedy and I come to these threads to look at watches.

What's your next purchase btw?

not planning on buying anything

Very nice collection pic, user. Saved already.
Congrats, if you do get married.

barf.jpg

>There's no single good reason to get smart watch.
Most undisputed truth ever.

Thanks, comrade.

Have you found a good deal? Maybe if the price is right and you like it very much.
Btw, I just found it at 900 usd in the web alone; push that deal harder.

>their supposedly extortionate servicing policy. Guess that's the cost of owning such pieces.
>mfw I just paid 15 hundred bucks for a service

Nice too.

You'll get there sometime m8, I'm sure.

>Hey I was never really into collecting watches till maybe this year.
Well my friend, it seems you're in for a downride to financial hell. :^)
Congrats and good luck m8.

Here m8, no problem.

When you get it, please post pics here. I'd like it very much.

well you are no fun

will do famalam

Should I get Japan made Seikos? Honestly I don't care about 'made in..' label, but greater quality will be nice. I am talking about cheap watches, such as SNKN13.

At the same price - yes, but you shouldn't pay extra for it

got a lot of watches, and want the money for traveling and potentially starting a business.

From what I've gathered they come from the same malaysian plant, but if a Nip oversees the last phase of QC it can be called "made in japan". Not 100% sure it's true, but it certainly could be; made in japan is a lot more lax than swiss made.

Horry shet, I don't think I'll ever get to that point in collecting. I just don't like having too many things to take care of/store/secure. Nice shot though. I think I'd be a 5 watch max kinda guy. Just upgrading along the way. My old YM was 15 years old.

I'm sort of into hifi as well. So using funds towards that.

Do you use a winder or suggest using one? I really am lazy at setting the time and date. I had some Ebay one some years back and it died after about 7 years of use.

Anything on your wish list? I don't plan on buying anything for at least another few years. But who knows what Baselworld 2017 will showcase.

>mfw I just paid 15 hundred bucks for a service
>not servicing your watches yourself

Hey ninegag i'm assuming you saw the greubel forsey teaser. What do you think it could be?
Replacing the balance spring with an air resistance wheel? But that couldn't possibly give accurate timekeeping...

I have not, link?

hodinkee.com/articles/greubel-forsey-announces-mechanical-nano-project-with-180-day-movement-in-less-space-than-in-a-conve-2

>Do you use a winder or suggest using one?
Nope. I just wind them and adjust the hour whenever I use them. I can't left any electric devices on in the bank's vault anyway.

>Anything on your wish list?
Yeah. Google "watches" and there you have it.
But seriously, right now I'm starting to drift into rare vintages and independents, so who knows?

>>not servicing your watches yourself
not wanting to fuck up my watches

I think he is referring to this:

Well, if it's Greubel Forsey it's bound to be good, and expensive. I really don't know what it would be

>dat collection