My intern manager says everything im learning is useless

Hey Sup Forums I know y'all hate 's students but I started my internship today at the college I'm currently studying for. My intern manager said the languages I was learning, visual basic, C# and sql were useless in the real world.
Why would we learn something useless?
Is she right?
>pic semi-related, she has blue hair

CS students*

I don't think our janitor knows either of these so yeah

Visual Basic is useless garbage.
C# is useful, but you would do better by learning C++ or Java.
SQL is eh.

>visual basic
useless
>C# and sql
not useless

VB is probably useless, C# and SQL are not necessarily useless, but less useful than say Java or C++.

Probably.

I asked about c and c++ but she wants us to use python. Were use raspery pis to change the schools display systems

I kind of learned early on that vb is pretty dead compared to other languages but I didn't think c# or Sql were

>intern manager

You learn the basics of programming, not specific language stuff. You will have to pull up documentation and write in obscure languages often but it wont matter since you will understand basic programming syntax.
What you need is the basics, interpreted languages, compiled language, OOP, functional programming, assembly.
So python, c++ or java, racket, and some form of assembly (C is useful here) are the languages you should be learning in particular.
Then theres programming techniques, algorithms, etc. C# is a meme language. Its not useless but its specialized and you should have learned c++ in its place.

>she has blue hair
nevermind what she says then

Trust me, I go to a Faculty of Letters, I've had my fair share of dealing with chicks with blue hair. It's a psychological trait

>blue hair
I don't think anyone with a visible manifestation of shitty life choices should be taken seriously.

That's not what is offered in the curriculum.
I understand the basic concepts but why learn specific syntax and waste time learning a langauge (especially in depth) if job out look is bleak
Yeah I'm what to call it all happened very quickly. Also on the toilet

>Also on the toilet

Your intern manager is trying to sabotage you. C# and SQL are very in demand. Seriously, go on Indeed right fucking now, check how many programming jobs ask for these languages. Also valuable right now is Node.js. Are they the most fun to play with? Not really. Will you get hired? Fucking probably.

>Were use raspery pis to change the schools display systems
Woah, slow done there Knuth.

Lol why you got to make fun of me

Python is good as well if speed is not a priority. These three languages (C++, Java, Python) should fulfill all your OOP needs.

shitposter

That's the other thing. When I was looking for internships and jobs there was a lot of c# offerings.
I mean that's what were doing.
How else do I explain it

Visual Basic is Microshit proprietary code
C# is Microshit proprietary adaptation of the C family
SQL is Microshit proprietary web dev hackery

Why the disdain for ms languages?

>there was a lot of c# offerings.
That's how you know she's lying through her teeth.

C# is free as in freedom software with a MIT and Apache2 licensed compiler and runtime officially released by Microsoft themselves. VB.NET doesn't run on it, but C# and F# do, as well as Powershell. I actually find it kind of funny that F# got a port before VB.NET, but I think that's perhaps because nobody gives a fuck about VB.NET in 2017.

SQL was not made by Microsoft, and is a common standard language for interfacing with databases. Though Microsoft has their own SQL implementation, there is also MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQLite, which are all free as in freedom software.

C# is usefull.
Knowing how to formulate good SQL requests will always be valuable.
>VB
lmaoing @ your life

You need to become one with the basic concepts. You dont want to look up documentation every time you make a for loop. Also what is offered.

Honestly famalam, even though VB is shit, it's not that bad to know it. It is still being used, and if for some reason you have to use it one day, knowing the language will mean that you will be able to work around the horrible limitations it has.

>she has blue hair
kek'd.

just do opposite of whatever she says and you'll be more than fine.

yea better to listen to the bald and/or grey

>she has blue hair
lol no, just do the opposite
C# is really usefull if you wanna get a job, just see a website of job's vacants but you should also learn another programming languaje like python and/or java

>F#
lol wut

wut?

language is irrelevant anyhow.
if you aren't a shitty you should be able to recognize commonalities in design and be useful in virtually any language.

also, your stack is pretty fucking gross and M$ laden. stop being a winfaggot, faggot.

TFW starting Visual Basic class in two weeks. It's mandatory for CS in my program and I know its a total waste of time that I'm paying straight cash to take. Going to be a long 6 months although there's a local company doing internships and Visual Basic happens to be the language they're lookin for oddly. Eh whatever I suppose it'll be easier a bit to learn new languages after this.

>there's a local company doing internships and Visual Basic happens to be the language they're lookin for oddly

enjoy your spreadsheet, bizcuck, hell.
Only take it if they pay, at least $18hr

VB is more of a learning tool, but C# and SQL are not memes. Anyways, learn C# and grasp the basics of programming so you can learn C, C++, python, etc.