Are APUs a meme? My friend fell for A10 7860K

Are APUs a meme? My friend fell for A10 7860K

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NVnKPTC1CXM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i fell for it too. I was surprised for the cost, runs Battlefront 3 okay, but only alongside a R9 380. Wouldn't wanna push it much further

He plays only meme vidya like CS GO and LoL so i think that is enough for him

Bulldozer and all its iterations are a meme friend

they're meh. constrained by nature due to slow DDR3 RAM.

not a bad choice if you want a cheap machine with a beefier iGPU than Intel's stuff but with the tradeoff of a weaker CPU though.

I'm expecting a lot out of the Zen/{Polaris,Vega} APUs though. imagine a laptop with i5/470 level power and shared HBM2 memory.

I'll probably put together an zen APU for my sister.

She doesn't need vidya gaming performance out the ass. Just something 470 tier would be good enough, and I imagine she'll save money on the APU vs buying the two separate.

Really seems like a no-brainer for the mid-low end of the market.

very much
fmx(+) platform is a meme
no upgrade path
lured in by cheap gaming
but you have to stay there because there is no upgrade path because a better gpu will be bottlenecked

> imagine a laptop with i5/470 level power and shared HBM2 memory.

>470 tier
>APU
You must be joking.

It's a good solution for anyone who isn't an enthusiast/gamer. Or at least it sounds like one, I don't really know much about them.

>Are APUs a meme?

That was so pathetic.

Intel: Here's a CPU with an integrated GPU.
Public: Cool, now we can save $$$ on budget systems. Thanks!

(Two years later)

AMD: Here's a CPU with an integrated GPU.
Public: Yeah, we kinda expected that from you guys eventually.
AMD: No, really, we created something special -- it's called an "APU".
Public: WTF are you talking about?
AMD: "APU" is our special way of combining a CPU and a GPU.
Public: Big fucking deal. Intel has that already.
AMD: No, it really is a big deal!! See, it has the new name "APU"!!!
Public: Give me a fucking break.
AMD: But the "APU" is what makes it special and unique!!
Public: Go away.
AMD: Intel doesn't have an "APU". We do. That's why we're better!!
Public: Just shut the fuck up already.

ok jew

They're really awful if you actually want to play any decent games

Well the 6700k 530 can play meme games like CSGO/LoL/Dota2 and Overwatch, GTAV, Serious Sam3 (low) at 1080, and given that this is slightly better than th3 6700k's 530, it should be just fine for such games. If he has a lower res monitor, it's a great buy.

They were a meme and will be bigger memes when they start making them with Zen cores and faster memory.

i gamerthr same one arriving soon.

im not a hard core gamer i just need it to play rust online and do some edittinan here and there its decent.

cheap too.

seriously why can't people into that apu's are limited by the slow 10-20 gb/sec system ram?

any self respecting gpu is pushing over 100 GB/sec bandwidth on gddr5.

>load up GPU-Z
>339.2 GB/sec bandwidth

feels good man

damn my phone keys are tiny as fuck hard to write things right

Intel's IGPs were horrendously buggy, and could barely do anything aside from 2D.
The HD4000 series was so incredibly weak that AMD's first generation Llano APUs completely trounced it despite having a huge dis advantage in CPU perf. APUs were actually revolutionary, and they were such a big deal that they caused intel to invest over $1,000,000 into development of their IGP arch, and even more money into developing foundry IP for dense eDRAM in the Crystalwell package.

Even after Llano it took intel multiple years to solve basic driver issues with their graphics performance. Shadows not rendering in Source games, geometry glitches, instant crashes in DX11. There were dozens of issues.

>APU
>use R9 390

Pick one

>This fucking stupid about APUs on Sup Forums

Built one the other day for my gf to play vanilla and tf2. Couldn't run tf2 at a constant 60. Returned. Built a small Intel system with a 1050ti instead. Plus I got to build in a node 202 case which I've wanted to do for a while.

APUs are master race

at least tell him to step up to dota

god damn you should get back to Sup Forums immediately if you are used to that level of storytelling

there so many wrong things in your post.

let's make it clear, APU is an AMD invetion to introduce Heterogenous Compute abilities and further expand the abilities of todays cpu's.

AMD is just ahead of its time, like they usually do

What's it like knowing you suck?

youtu.be/NVnKPTC1CXM

you were supposed to spend the extra money for an RX 470

The 7860k is great value for money.
Much better for gaming without a discrete GPU than competing Intel chips.

Tell that to LibreOffice calc.

A10-7870K owner here: they are pretty noice.

Without a graphics card I get ~60 FPS in medium (except textures/AF in ultra) 720p settings in BF4.

My whole build cost me less than $300. I don't play vydia much so this was good enough for me.

Ok time for summary:

Vega is the biggest fundamental architecture change since they switched from Terascale to GCN 1.0
The new NCU means a massive boost to efficiency in the shader core and a much easier ability to fully saturate the GPU with work.
The biggest problem with Fiji(furyX) is that its 4096 shaders didnt mean very much because of large bubbles in the pipeline and large ammounts of shaders idling and doing no work each cycle.
Even with a low Level API like Vulcan which is best case scenario the FuryX is still not running with all cylinders firing because Vulkan only solved the Driver overhead problem. There is still bubbles in the workload because of the fundamental design of the GCN architecture itself.

AMD is switching from standard 4x16-bit blocks of a normal GCN CU(compute unit) to This new design of a variable 8+4+2+2 block and either four of these or a mix of these and standard 16-bit blocks in this new NCU(next compute unit)

They could not Do this in the past because they did not have the technology to build a Hardware Scheduler and Memory Scheduler Complexed enough to run this kind of architecture.

We have test samples of Vega with NCU's disabled and with very low clockspeeds and its beating a 1900mhz overclocked gtx 1080 in DOOM. Now there is a gain from using Vulcan over DX11 and OpenGL for AMD but thats on the Driver Overhead side not on the fundamental shader operations side. IT just means the CPU is feeding draw calls to the GPU at peak efficiency.

Alot of people dismiss the test because its vulcan but they dont know what they are looking at. The Vega sample is running FIJI 1.2 drivers Which means the instructions are running through the Vega NCU's like they are standard fixed 16-bit blocks like you have on a FuryX card.

So you need to look at it from this perspective.

This New architecture is more advanced than Maxwel/Pascal. You are going to see unreal performance from Vega when its finally released. Poor Volta

WTF does yiur blogpost have to do with APUs?

Its copypasta from another thread, I'm not sure why he posted it here.

APU's are CUTE. They are great. Everybody should have one build in their house.

>A8-7600
~$60
~700 GFLOPS for the iGPU

>i3-6300
~$160
~440 GFLOPS for iGPU

Both have similar multi-core performance. Yeah breh, intel is totally not ripping you off.

can't wait for zen tbqh
I only want to play some FIFA now and then

reads like a trump tweet

Zen APU's are gonna be balling good.

this will revive the HTPC market mark my words.

it won't revive it, it'll change it completely
you pretty much couldn't game on an HTPC except for old console emulation, this is going to make gaming an option as well

I suppose the poster wants to point out that ZEN-based APUs are going to completely slaughter any similar competitive offering since they are rumoured to be based on the ega architecture.

I too hope we can finally see RX 460 performance out of an integrated GPU.

5ghz/2ghz Ryzen APU with HBM2 on package fucking when?

Crazy thing is that they're talking about having a 16cu gpu on the top end apus. That's more than the rx 460 if you don't bios unlock it. If it turns out they're using Vega with on board hbm, depending on just how much better Vega is than Polaris. You could see something closer to 1050ti performance. But that's probably close to a year away from now, so it's all just hopes and dreams at this point.

I will say that the apus present a good low end budget gaming solution, and an even better media solution. If opencl ever gets adopted more broadly, they would be amazing productivity platforms.

Its 12CU, not 16CU

Which?