/hpg/ - Headphone General

Diamond edition

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
ebay.com/usr/dwi-international-8
keeweeshop.com/product/studio-headphone-isk-hp-580/
head-fi.org/t/752877/3d-printed-closed-headphones-with-hd800-driver
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for memephones

Recommendations for closed headphones that isolate and are comfortable? Budget

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

World's best headphone edition

*brrrraaaaaaaaaaaaap*

I've been using a pair that has moderate isolation with good comfort AT-M50x. ~120$

I just bought pic related to try them out, and they isolate really well, but are quite uncomfortable, what replacement pads or other ideas are suggested for these?

DT 770
Comfy as fuck, and somehow still isolate greatly with velour pads.

>m50x
>good comfort
pick one

Hi, Tyll at NiggerFidelity here.

>mfw when everyone on here said the hd600s would sound about the same as my dt880s
>mfw i went ahead and bought them anyway
>mfw i heard them
ya'll niggas deaf or summin. they're a pretty good second reference

i sold those not too long ago. the 1350s are absurd things: i've spent a significant amount of time with 2 different pairs - 1 gripped my head like a vice and the other didn't even form a good seal. the bass response was a bit lacking in both desu, but the loose fitting pair were just not very good.

>DT 770

? I have occasional discomfort once every few days along the bottom of my ear while wearing these, and never notice fatigue from weight or itching beneath the band. Mildy warm. I never said Great Comfort, but I'd say they qualify as good.

>>mfw when everyone on here said the hd600s would sound about the same as my dt880s
No one has said this ever.

Where's generally the next step after these headphones anyway? I feel like I've hit peak performance for the price range.

Do not have an AMP, is that what's going to get the next step? Or what headphones / price range are the next real noticeable quality jump?

i asked in 2 or 3 different threads that i wanted a sidegrade from the 880s and every single time i was told not to bother with the 600s because: too similar.

Sounds like your ears are just larger though and don't play well with round cups.

Anyone who said HD600's would sound the same as DT880's are fucking retarded.

After what headphones

Oh sorry, the Beyerdynamic/AT M50x/VMODA m100s.

They all are very similar in the amount of quality you get. Each gives in some areas but performs in others, but they all seem to equal about to the same.

I've got a K712, what's a good second ref

880/600 guy here - either one would be fine. the 600s are more 'fun' imo mostly because of tighter bass at the cost of width + less prominent sub. but desu either pair would be more fun than a 7xx.

I use a k712. The HD650/600 are meh. The veil shit is true sometimes with them.
You're pretty much pissing money away when jump from the $300-$500 headphones to some $1000+ headphones. You get into the real audiophile bullshit territory with that. Tubes amps etc. Where suddenly a Schiit Stack or O2 odac don't work but are detrimental to the music some how.

Also in the past years these "hi-fi" headphones like the HD650 or now labeled "mid-fi".

what volume to listen at?

Best budget headphones coming through.

you don't want to be putting too much pressure on your eardrums. You literally lose sound quality because of how your ears work. So, loud enough to hear what you want to hear, but you never want to be flinching from the noise, and you definitely don't want to feel fatigued after hours of listening. (A steady slightly-too-high volume is also damaging given enough time.)

If you're looking for actual decibels, fuck me if I can remember. I have never dealt with an environment to need to concern myself with that kind of information.

If it's just personal use, do what is comfortable. Discomfort in listening is not a good thing.

I don't have any solid numbers but I just go loud enough to match surrounding/environmental noise, then down a few notches. I want to keep my hearing for as long as possible.

Id rather the slightly muddy midbass 558's over the grainy highs of the 9500's

Still good headphones if you can get them cheap enough, but the $20 more for 558/598's is worth it imo.

600 > 6xx

But the 650 is 8.33% better than the 600.

Anyone out there?

>Budget
$400 max
>Location
United States
>Source
iPhone 7 Plus (My sister bought it for me as a gift) / Fiio E10k
>Type of headphone
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Hella comfy
>Sound signature
I don't know if it's possible to get a sound similar to AKG Q701's, but anything close would be great.
>Past headphones
Currently using MDR-7506. I didn't like them at first, but they've grown on me.
Had HD 558 before that, didn't like them and returned them.
Before that AKG Q701. Loved them, but couldn't afford to replace them at the time, so I sold them. I'd order them again now, but I want noise isolation.

There's a k7xx drop on massdrop right now for $200. Very similar to Q701s.

Try MSR7 with aftermarket pads. It is more treble-focused than most closed headphones in its price, which fits your preference, but as far as isolation goes, it isn't the greatest. For pure isolation, you should look towards IEMs.

Did you even read the post?

Shit, sorry, I missed the closed part.

is the soundstage and bass on the m50x REALLY that bad? I'm thinking of getting the white ones because they look so damn cool, but not if I'm going to hardly use them

>I want to keep my hearing for as long as possible
Yeah me too. I work in a loud environment with machinery and my coworkers think I'm insane for how dedicated I am to wearing ear plugs at basically all times. When I started I stupidly didn't bother and now have lightly audible tinnitus. I only hear it totally silent rooms tho and thankfully hasn't affected my music listening.

does somebody own a parrot zik 2/3 headphone in here?

the endgame is a Stax earspeaker system

what's more important than hearing damage is hearing skills

not with the thin bass, sealing issues, farting and high sensitivity to dust and humidity that make them only usable in certain situations

is your reference m50x when you say thin bass? because it sounds like it

no my reference is most dynamics or even planars

i can tell you've never listened to an estat in your life.

but the speed dude. the speed

>Stax
The only company that beats Sennheiser in terms of shit build quality for the money.

What about hifiman?

You can have practically the same damn headphone if you eq them. It's autistic to fight over the two.

It's essentially, do you want more bass or do you want a more neutral sound signature? They're more alike than they are different.

What about them? I wouldn't call their build quality bad. At least they're not charging hundreds or thousands for plastic headbands and overpriced cables. For the most part they use standard cables these days. That's a huge plus as far as build quality goes.

are these worth it just for movies?
how much of a better sound difference is it from a pair of hd 559 and my creative gigaworks t20 series II speakers?

How are them grapes? A little sour?

>thin bass

Not an issue with the Omega frames. Just saying since the guy was talking endgame. Even some lambda stuff like the 207 or nova signature has flat bass, though that's not typical for the series.

>sealing issues, farting
You can only have one, not both. The first doesn't happen outside the rectangular models though and is pretty easily fixed with some 507 leather pads.

>high sensitivity to dust and humidity
That's generic of stats. Stax doesn't have this issue hardly at all compared to koss/sennheiser/kingsound/etc. Their dust guards are really good. And the humidity thing is basically a japanese meme. If you don't wear them with wet hair, you can live in swamp and they'll still last 30 years.

only the 007 and omega don't have incredibly thin bass, the 009 still does.

The 009 has peaky treble but can make bass fine. It's not like say a SRX-MKIII where it straight can't even with EQ. Still, I don't know why the hell they decided to voice it like a bog standard lambda. Hopefully they fix it with the 009MkII or whatever the new flagship they're working on is.

wasn't it just an SRM-T2 successor? no new headphone

Don't know, it seemed like they were working on a T2 successor for 2018'ish and vague stuff about working on a new omega frame with no projected release date.

dt770 or 880 ?!

Open or closed?

don't mind as I will be only using it in my room with the laptop, which one sounds better and is more comfier
I will get an amp later, which impedance should i pick for the headphone and what amp should I get for them

i would buy the 880 600ohms then. but i donĀ“t know what sound signature you like

for the amp, the magni 2 or buy a o2 kit

770 if you want bass and treble with reduced mids, 880 if you want more neutral with a bit of treble. The 770's isolate more noise since they're closed, but don't have as good of a soundstage as the 880's. The comfort is pretty much identical same with build quality.

picked them up for $50 on cyber monday - good deal at that price.

>no veil
Veil is literally Sennheiser's sound signature and what makes them so "not fatiguing".

the 600 can be fatiguing if you listen to a lot of vocal centric music

>7XX dropped today
>already ended
How the fuck? Did they just sell out or what? I was looking to get either those or the 6XX but I guess I'll have to be quicker next time.

Alrighty /hpg/ I'm in need of assistance. Pic says all. Send help.

I would go for the senn hd 25-1ii

Stop getting scammed by kikedrop and buy 712, they're better.

I'd hope they're better because they're also over $100 more.

ebay.com/usr/dwi-international-8
^^^wait a few days for this guy to get his stock back up (he usually has 10-15 at a time) . He sells them at $235. I bought some and they came within a week. I thought it would be fake shit because it was coming from Hong Kong but they are authentic and I couldn't be happier.

599 if you want warm mid-centric non offensive sound
DT 990 if you want insane treble and low end. super fast high energy bumfuck sound

880 is probably the best middleground of the two. treble is a bit hot for some, but its fairly neutral and has better low end than 599's.

Massdrop memes edition

God the 6XX paint is ugly. It'd be cool to dip them in something.

Is onboard soundcard (ALC662) have enough power for Headphone with 3M cable ?

keeweeshop.com/product/studio-headphone-isk-hp-580/

I like it better than the stock 650 desu, it's too glossy looking.

should be ok

Cable length means nothing below like 20ft unless its shittily insulated. Those are just superlux 681. You can get them for like $28 USD from China. Onboard should be satisfactory.

Ive never liked any of the 650/600/6XX looks desu. Im planning on building my own HD6?? one day. Gonna buy the drivers and housing from sennheiser or try and find a used model, and then build my own housing, and use a Beyer headband. Should hopefully be breddy cool.

Thanks

Budget- Around $100
Location- US
Source: Laptop,phone,ps4
Type of headphone- Full size
Closed
Comfort level: Doesnt matter
Sound signuature: Doesnt matter
Past Headphones: Beats solo HD

M40x

Why not use the HD800 drivers?

Havent seen them anywhere cheap, and the housing system is a lot more complicated.

I mean as far as building housing around them surely it wouldn't be that much more complicated?

I'd like to see the driver in an HD580/6xx/Orpheus style housing though

Nah, the 800 enclosure is a lot more complicated. So much more shit for sound to reflect on, and material choice is a major factor. HD6?? Are just drivers straight up facing the ear in an oval enclosure. You can buy the entire driver, and housing 'frame' part for $70 USD each side. All I'd need to do is manufacture an oval enclosure, a way to fasten pads, and a mesh back, and then attatch the headband. It's not exactly the simplest, but its cheap and I end up with a nice product without the retarded sennheiser build and cabling.

You don't need to replicate the HD800 housing for the driver though, it's the reason why the 6kHz peak exists in the first place.

A better enclosure would let the driver show its actual potential and the distortion is lower than the 650 driver

Makes sense. I'd still need to be able to source the drivers affordably.

or build something like an akg k1000 with hd800 drivers - would that work?

FWIW head-fi.org/t/752877/3d-printed-closed-headphones-with-hd800-driver

No idea what FWIW means, but damn, that's cool as fuck. Still, affordably sourcing the driver is the main concern.

You've never seen their Edition X or HE1000?

For what it's worth

Any closed back alternative to the m40's at the same price?

NVX XPT100/Takstar Pro80

NVX XPT-100 or Brainwavz HM5
Both are built worse than the M40x though, and dont quite have the same raw sound quality. Close, but not quite there.

I present to you the BeyersnapheiserAKGMAN HD1000. It is a homebrew solution that combines the best of the best dual drivers purchased on aliexpress from China, they are actually the same drivers used by high-end models like HD800 but cost only a few dollars, the big corporations are scamming you!
Each driver has its own frequence response especially adapted to the intricacies of the human ear canals.
This innovative design does not use outdated concepts like earcups, instead the drivers are placed directly on your ears, which provides deep bass, impressive soundstage and world-class isolation, all while being a completely open-back design.

Tired of the headband on your Sennheiser snapping? Worry not, the high quality, aluminium headband will last you a lifetime. The best thing? These headphones are fully modular and completely open-source, do not waste your money on propietary snake oil!

Holy shit, that's revolutionary. Truly the pinnacle of audio reproduction.

isn't there a way to fund your project?

They're probably one of the best headphone below $200. They're easily powered and very comfortable but they break rather quickly :/

>not the Orpheus II

Stax is outdated. At the price of their complete TotL system you can get an excellent dynamic/planar headphone setups. Lately there are a lot of great high end headphones popping up in the market. I think they're a much better alternatives for Stax, easier to maintain too.

What

crowd funding or something like that

Daily reminder that most of these headphones are for mixing and mastering, something your pleb brains can't understand.

Of course they are going to sound like shit when you use them for listening to music because they're designed to give a flat response across all bands and make no attempt to hide flaws in sound. Don't buy studio headphones if you're an audiophile.

Didn't realize Sup Forums was so autistic.

Needs a subwoofer to be truly endgame.