Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S76pHIYx3ik
nordier.com/v7x86/
ex-vi.sourceforge.net/.
ex-vi.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

type in vi into your prompt, make sure it's not aliased to vim

mongoloid

Some people should be banned from touching any electronic device.

I'm a babby with this stuff, yeah it's aliased after I installed vim on fucking-kill-me ubuntu, wasnt there outta the box

Did you mean to start a thread?

it's all good, dunno why you need vi but it's going to be present on pretty much every unix since the 80s

have fun

Compatibility mode won't work?

why do you need vi? vim is fully compatible. Else you can just use nvi, look it up, compile it, you know that shit.
Unless you don't, in which case you need to start using your computer

It just has to be Vi, no forks. Sucks but I need it

Uninstall vim, then, retard.
Why the fuck do you need vanilla VI?

apt remove vim
or something like that depending on how the ubuntu package manager works

youtube.com/watch?v=S76pHIYx3ik

sudo rm -rf / should uninstall vim for you

you're pretty dumb for not knowing that command hasn't worked for 10+ years

take your joke back to the 90s

You could've at least used sudo rm -rf /*

Type in /usr/bin/vi at the command prompt.

It works, you're just too fucking stupid. I bet you ran it in a windows cmd too

On the topic of vim, are all terminal text editors hell until you get used to them? It doesn't seem very intuitive coming from gui

y tho.

u cant rly no vim until u no vi

Brings me to Vim instead of just Vi, I don't wanna buy an old Power5 just to do this thing I gotta do

lol idiot hasn't even read the rm manpage

hint: it doesn't work

Nano/pico is easy.

?

>open vim
>:set compatible
>???
>profit

I don't know if vi exists anymore. Try installing this nordier.com/v7x86/ in a VM, it may or may not have vi (it probably will)

It works on UNIX complaint systems

GNU's Not UNIX bitch

vim has a huge learning curve. not as big as emacs, but it's a significant time investment.

however, knowing one of vim / emacs is *fundamental* to being considered a proper '*nix' person. especially if you ever want to be considered a real engineer. you'll get a lot of respect from other devs / tech people if you're proficient with it

it's worth the time investment, in that sense... practice it a few nights a week, then use it as a notepad for everyday tasks, then eventually you'll get comfortable enough to use it as a full time development environment, and you won't want to go back

if you really want to learn vim, prepare to read about vim, read / skim books about vim, etc. it's not something you can pick up casually or intuitively until you're a few weeks into it. it requires legitimate effort and discipline

Real programmers use Vim and Emacs.

The source code for ex/vi can be found at ex-vi.sourceforge.net/. Download the latest release, unpack it and then type 'make'. If there is no compilation errors (none on my ubuntu machine) you can then run ex in visual mode (vi) by typing: ./ex -v while you are still in the build directory. Hope this helps you!

Oh yea, if you want, you can make an alias for vi to be 'ex -v' which means you only have to type 'vi' into the command line. After compiling the ex program you can copy it to any directory that exists in your $PATH variable. Just type 'echo $PATH' and copy ex into one of those directories (usually /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin). After the program (ex) is in one of those directories and you have made the alias you should be able to type 'vi' from any directory.

OK, last post. If you get error ' Unknown terminal type' or 'Visual needs addressable cursor or upline capability' you need to define an environment variable to work with the bundled libterm library.

Here is the copy paste from the website:

Terminal capabilities
=====================

vi normally uses the termcap library to gather information about the
capabilities of the terminal it is using. A BSD-derived termcap library
is included with the vi distribution, and is usually the preferred choice.
On some platforms, though, either no /etc/termcap file exists, or the file
lacks up-to-date entries. In these cases, two workarounds are possible.
First, vi can be linked against libcurses, libncurses, or libtermcap, if
these provide access to a proper terminal information database. Second, it
is possible to use the included termcap library with a TERMCAP environment
variable that contains a complete termcap entry. Most terminals in current
use provide a superset of DEC VT102 capabilities, so the following will
normally work:

TERMCAP="vt102|$TERM|dec vt102:"'\
:do=^J:co#80:li#24:cl=50\E[;H\E[2J:\
:le=^H:bs:cm=5\E[%i%d;%dH:nd=2\E[C:up=2\E[A:\
:ce=3\E[K:cd=50\E[J:so=2\E[7m:se=2\E[m:us=2\E[4m:ue=2\E[m:\
:md=2\E[1m:mr=2\E[7m:mb=2\E[5m:me=2\E[m:is=\E[1;24r\E[24;1H:\
:rs=\E>\E[?3l\E[?4l\E[?5l\E[?7h\E[?8h:ks=\E[?1h\E=:ke=\E[?1l\E>:\
:ku=\EOA:kd=\EOB:kr=\EOC:kl=\EOD:kb=^H:\
:ho=\E[H:k1=\EOP:k2=\EOQ:k3=\EOR:k4=\EOS:pt:sr=5\EM:vt#3:\
:sc=\E7:rc=\E8:cs=\E[%i%d;%dr:vs=\E[?7l:ve=\E[?7h:\
:mi:al=\E[L:dc=\E[P:dl=\E[M:ei=\E[4l:im=\E[4h:'
export TERMCAP

Thank you very much! Looking alright

ex-vi.sourceforge.net/

It is installed by default on almost every *NIX distro/project. Vim is just usually symlinked to the vi command. Literally remove the symlink, and you have regular vi.

>implying its not already installed

download setup_vi.exe from softonic.com you mongoloid

set compatible

It worked when Vi was a thing and Vim wasn't

I don't know what problem you're trying to solve but you probably not gonna fix it with replacing Vim for Vi.

Vim has something called "compatible mode" where you can use all pure Vi commands.

Just enter Vim and type ":set compatible".

But honestly, I've thought for about 5 minutes but I couldn't come up with a valid reason why you would use Vi instead of Vim. I'm curious: Is this some sort of bet or are you interested in ancient programms?

/usr/bin/vi is probably symlinked to something to do with update-alternatives

Emacs has something very similar:
M-x viper-mode
And set the silly expert level thing to 1. I'm not too savvy on vi/m (I use evil mode in emacs but I use it as a hybrid with normal behaviour in the insert mode) but from the documentation, viper mode seems pretty complete.

Simultaneously

closest you're gonna get to vi is nvi.