I don't know where else to go. Please help me Sup Forums or I'm fucked...

I don't know where else to go. Please help me Sup Forums or I'm fucked. I have a dual booted laptop ( Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.10) and Linux won't load. It keeps going to this blank screen. I've tried rebooting from GRUB and every terminal command I know and nothing has worked. What the fuck do I do? Reinstall Linux? I installed Ubuntu 14.10 initially. I'm fucked. The screen is on.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Live boot from a flash drive. Open a terminal.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

This should fix your whatever problem grub is having. Good luck user

Did ye reboot after upgrading to 15.10?

I upgrade to 15.10 months ago. Yesterday I was trying to install silverlight via some package and it must've fucked it up. Fucking Linux can't even play Netflix but hats besides the point.

How do I live boot from a flash drive? Do you mean reinstall Linux on a flash drive?

Yea, just like when you first installed Ubuntu on your computer.

No reinstall. Just boot from flashdrive and select live.

Are you able to boot to windows?
Ye that's what I meant hehe

I loaded failsafe from GRUB and tried entering the first command you said and it said "add-apt-get: command not found"

No user, you have to load Ubuntu from a flash drive.

And enter those commands from that live boot from the flash drive.

>add-apt-get
wrong command
add-apt-repository to add a repository

Just reinstall the distro.
>Yesterday I was trying to install silverlight via some package and it must've fucked it up. Fucking Linux can't even play Netflix but hats besides the point.
Just install Google Chrome in a persistent GNU/Linux flash drive and enjoy.

Okay guys I'm going to install 16.10 onto a flash drive and re-dual boot my computer. Will that solve the problem? Sorry being a retard I really should stop using Linux. The past 2 years with it have been nothing but problems.

first off you can start by not posting a 5k image you prick

wrong. Use 16.04. It's LTS. Always use LTS over latest version.

Okay I used 16.04, let's see how this goes

Didn't work, I fucked up my computer even more. I can't even reinstall Linux on my computer.

You sound like you deserve this
I am secretly happy you are not a part of the linux community anymore.

Jesus christ clean your screen first and then disinfect your keyboard

Your computer isn't "fucked". Your hardware is fine. You probably have messed up GRUB installation.
Also, why don't you install a fresh Windows. Wipe the damn hard drive. Jesus Christ is that so difficult?

What I mean by that is, you either install GRUB to / or you just install Windows.

You're evil

I tried to re dual boot linux alongside windows and it didn't work. What the fuck is going on? Ubuntu still won't fucking load. GRUB loads fine but nothing works. Now I have 2 options to get to ubuntu and none of them work. My windows won't load normally and now I have to manually select windows after clicking the button that would normally just take me to windows.

Disable uefi SecureBoot?

Though, if you installed successfully it probably isnt that.

So you can get to winders?

Also why the fuck would I wipe my hard drive? And lose all my pictures and documents? No thanks. Linux is such a piece of shit.

I can get to windows yes. But I can't dual boot for some reason. I'm going to try tomorrow again but I don't remember what I did the first time. My attempts to mimic it have been in vain

1. If you don't have a backup, youre a subhuman idiot. Especially if you're planning to mess around with your OS.
2. Copy your files to an external drive via live OS.
3. Don't make Linux responsible for your inability. It's way less restrictive than Windows when it comes to modifying your system but with great power comes great responsibility.

wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

you seem to be everything that is wrong with linux at the moment

How do I do number 2? I tried installing fresh Linux on to a USB drive and it won't load. It brings me back to my main problem a blank fucking screen

Not sure which steps to take. Every command in GRUB fails

It won't load if you select it as boot device in your BIOS? That's.... unfortunate. Have you fucked with your BIOS senpai?

Get out of fucking grub and boot a live linux distro. Go to the cli. Did you not read anything? Am I going to have to explain what commands are ubuntu specific vs Arch? This is why Ubuntu is cancer. This right here, people like you.

You guys need to chill out and stop giving OP a hard time.

He tried something and fucked up. Big whoop.

I didnt fuck with anything it worked this morning. I don't even know how to mess with my BIOS. I just went about my day as usual and now Linux won't fucking load. I reloaded 14.04 and fresh installed 16.04 and tried both. Won't load. Keeps going to a blank screen each. I wish I could make a webm of what the fuck is going on.

Bro I can't boot a live linux distro. I installed two versions of Ubuntu on a USB and it won't load at all. Just leads me to a blank fucking screen if I select Ubuntu.

Fuck off OP, you can't even Google your problem, you ignore directions, and you come to /g to beg for help. Not technical support, sorry kiddo. If you get your 'buntu back, never update it ever again. You don't use your computer for anything anyway, and you will still get updates with LTS for years. Or just use windows. Just give up on Linux, it's not for you. Quit trying to fix your ubuntu and give up. It's not worth it.

If you can, try loading Linux from DVD, then copy your files to an external hard drive, then install Windows. If that doesn't work, you've got to take out your hard drive and back it up on another computer, then wipe the whole thing, then put it back, then install Windows.

I did Google my problem you fucking dick. Nothing I read was related to what I had to say or I didn't understand what to do so I didn't want to fuck it. I'm not a lazy shit and you're placing too much value on yourself since you can't even help me. Not even the guy who wrote that either. I can't give up now

How do I load it from a DVD? Do they make ubuntu DVDs? Or I just install ubuntu onto a disc? I don't have another computer I can use desu unless I borrow someone else's and get my back up hard drive and copy it there

No.1 Did you choose "legacy" or efi in your bios?
No.2 You have a choice of booting the usb as a live distro or installing it. If this option does not comes up somewhere, download some other distro.
No.3 The black screen can mean many things, including your bootloader is fucked.

1. Download and burn the ISO to DVD. That's the traditional way.
2. How could you create a new live USB stick if you don't have access to another computer?

I used the same USB stick to create a dual booted computer again but downloaded another version of ubuntu (16.04).

Um yeah but you need a computer to create a bootable USB stick. So if you downloaded another version of Ubuntu, you would have had to create a bootable USB stick using a working computer.

Guys I got to my terminal. I had to type in my username and password. What now? I need to get to my home screen and GUI. I tried startx but it didn't work

Damn, you all are being pretty patient with OP while he's being pissy/10.

OP don't be such a brat while asking for help.

Start in recovery mode, hold shift while rebooting.

I got the problem fixed guys. Unfortunately I lost everything and now have a new version of Ubuntu. Thanks for the help I appreciated it.