Highest Watt PSU I'll ever need for a single gpu system

What is the highest psu wattage I would ever need for a single card system? I want to make sure whatever card that comes out down the line from AMD or NVIDIA, that I can run overclocks/overvolt on both of them. is a good 750w with solid ripple control right or do I need more?

Other urls found in this thread:

10stripe.com/articles/who-made-your-power-supply.php
realhardtechx.com/index.html
outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194034
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

6Kw is absolutely necessary if you want to run anything better than a voodoo card

Yep 6000 watts is what you need

What this user said. I'd SLI/Crossfire my 6000w PSUs if I were you.

pls srs

800w becuasee they degradew at 10% per year

And what you plan on keeping it for a year? You clearly need 6000 watts.

But my EVGA memer grade PSU has a 10 year warranty

>no power output in 10 years
>my ten year old psu still works
really gets the cranium cranking

Scary... Of all the PSU this was the picture you choose.
I just put that 500W Apevia PSU in the closet.

Is there any drawback to having a fuckhuge power supply except for the fact its a waste of money?

no, just waste of money

Some of them could be most efficient at, for example 40-60% load. And if you have a fuckhuge (like 1200 watts) one that you aren't utilizing fully, it could be a bit less efficient in terms of power usage.

I don't claim to be an expert on this, but it might just be a small difference in efficiency is what I heard.

Is it any drawbacks redlining the car will full load all the time except for being a retard?

Get a semi passive PSU with enough wattage so it doesn't need to start the fan because it's using all it's power just because you start the PC and the PSU isn't the most effective when it's at full load either.

Just get a 750W

Just get around 500W, hardware is becoming more energy efficient anyway.
If you need more power at some point you can just get another 500W PSU and go dual PSU.

it's compounding so an 800w after 10 years still has 279w left

>evga
Lol make sure you also get fire insurance is

278.94275208W
Have to be precise here.

750W is more than enough and perhaps overkill for a single card system.

A good 500W PSU is enough. That is actually enough for a 65W CPU and a AMD GPU and 5 HDDs and one SSD. Get a 650W if you're in doubt, it could be handy in case you want a second graphics card or something later (consider your next build, a PSU lasts a long time).

Note that I am saying a GOOD 500W PSU is enough. There really is a big difference between a cheap 500W PSU and a EVGA PSU or a Coirsair RX PSU.

^^consider this post before buying, because this is absolutely true. There are review sites which will show you how efficient various PSUs are at various loads. Tip: They are absolutely NOT efficient at low loads. You'll probably not be playing games all the time, more likely your PC will mostly idle and most PSUs are really bad at 10-30% of their rating.

my 650w corsair that is from a core2duo build years ago still works great on my current rig (4.1ghz i5 3570k oc r9 290, 4 hdd, 1 ssd, dvd-rw)

Oh wow, that's a new one.

built my pc in 2012. 750w psu still running strong

That's no how switching power supplies work, fa.m

That's not how providing proof it doesn't, fag.m

>800w becuasee they degradew at 10% per year

While 10% per year is a ridiculous figure.. they do degrade a bit. Probably more like 1%/year, depending on load.

I used an older 460W PSU for a mining rig with a 95W CPU which was CPU-mining and a Radeon 7850 GPU which was GPU-mining. It handled this just fine for 7 months or so. Then the rig just turned off. It could apparently no longer handle this load continuously. A close-up inspection of this PSU revealed that it was full of dust. I opened it up and cleaned it and while I didn't use it in said mining rig it still works just fine on another computer with an APU (no graphics card).

so should i get a 750watt seasonic prime meme psu if i have a 5820k and plan to get one of the vega 300 watt housefires?

750w will be good. don't listen to these other clowns. If it where up to them you'd be running gentoo on a Lenovo T500.

Jesus christ why do I ever come to this board. You're all just shitstain trolls.

OP, probably only a few hundred whats but you wanna aim about 500W so you have a safety margin. For some reason 650W is the smallest you get in a lot of the gaming brand's GPUs, and the alternative is like 200 watt office desktop PSUs, so you're probably gonna end up with a 650 and that's fine.

Probably the cheapest, highest efficiency one over 500W? 750 if you ever think you'll go dual GPU or start OC-ing.
Either that or budget you components and look at their full load ratings and add 10% and select whatever PSU is greater than that. Dunno if fan ratings are super easy to find, think I usually rate them a flat 5W.

8000 Watts for maximum harcore gaming

400W or so is more than enough with a modern GPU and CPU. You'll likely be fine with 300W too, but it's good to have a little safety margin.

How many watts would the integrated graphics on an i7 6700 use? I have an 6700/1070 build with a EVGA Supernova 550 G2 and was thinking about enabling the integrated graphics at the same time as the discreet. Would the psu be able to power both? Is hybrid multi monitor even still available on Skylake?

Single card or Single GPU? A single card can have dual GPU.
750W-800W for either cases.

You don't even need 800W for dual card. Waste of money

Which is why I gave a range?

750W or 800W, it doesn't matter. You might as well have recommended 2000W. Your whole range was stupid.

>it doesn't matter
Which is why I gave a range in the first place because the difference doesn't matter.
The first 3 replies in this thread deserves more of your attention...oh wait you are that /wsr/fag.

>degradew at 10% per year
kek I bet some people actually believe this garbage.

I have a 600w PSU in my system and i've never pulled over 400w.

The efficiency curve for PSUs sucks anus at the low end of the curve, so a 1,500w PSU rated with an 80+ silver rating, or even gold rating will only test PSU loads down to 20% load. Which 20% on a 1,500W PSU is 300w.

My 5820k at 4.2GHz with a GTX 960 and 32GB DDR4 doesn't even draw 300w when watching netflix or youtube videos. It idles around 110w and pulls about 200w web browsing around 250w watching videos.

Meaning that 1,500W PSU would likely be ~70% efficient, potentially even lower, so that 200w power draw turns into 260w simply because your PSU is super inefficient at low load levels.

It makes FAR more sense to buy a ~600w PSU, than at 20% load levels you're drawing only 120w and it's still 85%+ efficient. meaning that 200w load is now only ~225w from the wall instead of 260w+.

Since the majority of the time you use your computer you will be near idle or just basic web browsing loads, you WANT a PSU that is going to be efficient at low load levels.

TLDR; stay away from HUGE PSUs because they waste a TON of electricity while you idle or web browse and do other basic tasks, big PSUs are only effecient at large load levels (500w+) which are only reached in extreme benchmarking or stress testing, or non-stop AAA ultra gaming. If you aren't doing these things ALLLLLL the time, it just makes more sense to get a smaller PSU.

That's not how percentage decrease works.

It's 800 * 0.90^10 so it would end up as 279W. That explains why your PSU still works user.

/thread

650 is all you need make sure it's from a decent brand.

Except PSUs don't degrade ANYWHERE near that much.

Rubycon (makers of capacitors) rates their capacitor life to exceed 15 years before serious degradation occurs that could effect your electronics.

There will be NO discernible wattage loss due to degradation in the life time of your other components. If you keep your computers 5 years, feel free to use a PSU for two builds before replacing it.

But there is simply no need to replace a PSU after a few years, or buy an over-capacity PSU simply because you're afraid it will degrade over time, it simply wont.

Stay in denial then user, but don't come crying back to me when you find your computer doesn't boot in 10 years time because you cheaped out and bought less than a 1kW PSU.

Single GPU system provided you aren't running more that three to five SSD/HD's you can sit pretty with a 400/450w no problem. You can go lower if you're running just an SSD and maybe a mechanical drive or two. Provided you buy a decent PSU that's 80+ made by Seasonic or another reputable manufacturer.

10stripe.com/articles/who-made-your-power-supply.php

realhardtechx.com/index.html

Well my previous build was using a PSU from 2004, and I replaced it in 2015. That's 11 years of operating.

It started life in a 90nm P4 machine, moved to a Q6600 in ~2007. With various graphics cards over the years, eventually ending with an R7-260x in 2015. It worked the whole time. Even with an OC on the Q6600 from ~2010-2015.

Stop trying to troll, unless you actually believe the bullshit you're spouting in which case i'd recommend educating yourself further so you don't come off as a retard next time.

Oh and just to add, the PSU from 2004 was a 550w PC power and cooling, not some massive 700w+ thing.

Must have been a mix up at the factory that caused your 5500W PSU to be labelled as a 550W by accident then user, you got lucky!

>implying a 5kW PSU would even fit in a computer case in 2004.

Of course it would user, 5kW PSU's are standard size, and 2004 was when they were in peak production. Where'd you think all these "new" 500W PSU's they're selling today came from?

You're not even trying anymore, just sad

Not as sad as how long you kept replying for :^)

I've been in the thread for exactly 59 minutes. I'm at work and have nothing better to do for the next ~7 hours.

Like 600w. Power consumption is going down and will continue to do so. This isn't 2005

This should give you a rough idea on how much power your system will use:
outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Depending on your setup, you might just need a 550W PSU. If this is the case, I would recommend an EVGA G3 PSU.

I have pcs going back to 486 and old consoles back to pong. I have had to replace some capacitors here and there but everything is still running. Biggest problem you'll face as things get really old is data rot.

>600w
This. I run an overvolted R9 Fury series card on a 600W PSU and it's just fine.

How can I chech how much watt my psu pulls?

Kill-A-Watt meter, or a UPS that tracks current power draw, or one of the newer PSUs with software monitoring tools that tell you the current power draw.

nice bait, so have my reply you faggot

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194034
I have this baby since 2009 served me good.

Not sure how I feel about a 525w PSU having 3 12V rails rated at 300w each.

Only if you are buying shitty stuff.

Any Good PSU should last forever.