Stupid Questions Thread

Old Thread

This this is for questions that don't need their own thread.

Spend at least a few minutes on Google before posting a question to help trim the fat.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/181909486149
ebay.com/itm/231181401394
amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-15-au147cl-Touchscreen-i7-7500U/dp/B01N1FYI9K/
wiki.openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v5a
automatetheboringstuff.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm wondering why it is that 5GHZ WiFi is faster (or has more throughput?) than 2.4GHz WiFi. I suppose it has higher "bandwidth", but I'm not exactly sure why that translates to higher bitrates.

Also, I've read that 5GHz WiFi is more susceptible to interference from walls and such. Why do 5GHz waves have a more difficult time traveling through solid objects than 2.4GHz waves?

>Got 2 Monitor
>One 144Hz Gaymen TN, one 60Hz IPS (Both 24 inch, the TN actually has better colors/blacks than the IPS)

I want to replace the IPS one, what do you guys recommend in €200-300. Also does Freesync worth it? Got an R9 390.

Can NEETs get girlfriends? Are there college age girls who just want to hang out at a NEETs parents house with the NEET bf?

Throughput is theoretically higher with 5Ghz.

The real difference is made when it's crowded with other access points on 2.4 GHz.

5GHz attenuates more through walls. If you have connection problems at places in your house futher from your AP then I'd recommend 2.4Ghz

The higher attenuation is precisely why you will see less 5GHz APs in range and why 5GHz can work better when close enough to your own AP.

Only very young girls. They will leave you when they find out you are nog going to increase their status.

After I put my PC to sleep, within time of ~30 minutes it turns back on for 5-30 seconds, then goes back to sleep by itself.
What's the reason for it?

I'm running win10, AMD gpu, 6600k if tht matters..

Used a ps2 - hdmi converter with my monitor and it says hdmi out if range. Is this due to the resolution the ps2 is outputting? Any help?

Women are generally atracted to driven and motivated men. But hey, there's 3,5 billion girls on this planet, some of them must be desperate enough to go for it. Many other factors can come into play to, like similar interests, good personality, maybe you're really good in bed (that's unlikely), so I'd say it's not impossible, just not very likely to get a nice gf. Best you can hope for is chubby NEETgirl.

>win10

What's an example of an apPlication where following the ACID design pphilosophy would be more beneficial over that of BASE?

>5GHz attenuates more through walls

I understand that, but I don't understand exactly why. Why do 5GHz electromagnetic waves have a harder time traveling through solid objects than 2.4GHz waves?

It's just a property of the object's material to absorb certain wave lengths more.

So, if my house were built out of a certain material, would it be possible that 2.4GHz waves would attenuate less through the walls than 5GHz waves?

Yes. Just like a house of glass absorbs less visible light then a brick house.

I have no idea, however, what material would attenuate 2.4 GHz more than 5.

Thanks bruh.

what's a good voice recorder app?

Win10

Just ask Microsoft for the transcript.

My air conditioner is broke and the next week is going to be 40+ degrees Celsius. How can I stop my computer from overheating?

underclock and undervolt it. Remove GPU and don't play vidya until it cools.

Can i power this screen
ebay.com/itm/181909486149
with this cable
ebay.com/itm/231181401394
without fucking up the screen?

Fans

I have been trying to cluster my old computers but every tutorial I find is hard as fuck to understand
maybe its because I lack the basics

Can you guys suggest me a book to understand this topic?

I can't fucking find the Sup Forums Tomorrow theme. Is it because i have Sup Forums X installed?
Fuck, I feel retarded. I looked in settings/Misc, still nothing.
>helpls

Is it possible to have a system be all in one when it comes to network security? Or are having separate devices doing separate things more efficient?
Example being: have one device being the VPN/Firewall/adblocker/host a website/act as a switch for main systems? Which is more secure, I'm really just trying to avoid paying thousands for separate embedded devices

What are some good e-mail providers? I'm thinking Protonmail. Anything else? No cock.li please.

dont open any settings shit, just scroll all the way down and look on the right bottom

you're my nigga, thanks.

Move to civilization where its winter time you aussie pleb.

Why is PCI-E not PnP? Is there anything preventing anyone from implementing PnP on it? I find it retarded having to shut down my PC to plug in various x2 and x4 devices.

You're acting like shuting down and booting takes more than 30 seconds combined.

Also, that's not a question but a rant. Fuck off.

PCI bus devices are are enumerated when the motherboard POSTs.

No POST, no PCI device detection.

Try 2-3 minutes excluding the work needed to remove the side panel, putting the PCI-E card inside, and screwing it down, then putting the side panel back, twat.

Thank you!

So a couple weeks ago I was playing Dark Souls 3. I was getting a decent framerate but my gpu was getting super hot and my fans were going like crazy. I decided to replace the thermal paste on the gpu and then my temps dropped. Now, out of the blue, when I start DS3 I get really low frames. It's like the card isn't "getting up to speed" quick enough. By the time my framerate gets up, the game has already booted me into offline mode for low frames. Any ideas what the issue might be?

I want to buy a virtual private server or cloud and spread the resources for my multiple websites. Basically I want to spread the servers resources and attach them to different domains.
My question, how can I learn this? What can I read, watch, what is this topic even called?

Bump

I'm running Win8.1 on a laptop. It runs fine at all times that aren't the first five-ish minutes after logging in, at which point keyboard input lags to hell and back. There's no issue when typing my password after a reboot, and the mouse is completely unaffected. The onscreen keyboard doesn't help. I've tried disabling all my startup programs, but that doesn't help. Any ideas?

Don't turn it off

what is a decent non-botnet/non-prism alternative to evernote?

Thanks for telling me what I already know. The laptop gets plenty of sleep.

However, Windows updates and shit cause reboots, so I tend to reboot about once a month. I guess I should reword my question: Any ideas what's causing the issue?

I would like a VPN for my internet. I torrent, play games, browse the web, etc. I don't know where to start though. Any suggestions?

android is my overlord and google is stingy with transcripts

Is Firefox still worth using or should I find an older version to install? Just bought a new laptop.

Would anyone here happen to know some things about hardware exceptions, on ARM specifically even? Is it accurate to say that poking the IRQ input would cause an IRQ exception? As well as FIQ with its respective input, etc?.. If so, how would one trigger an undefined instruction via hardware? is that what jtag is for? or is jtag sandboxed somehow?

I'm using my computer for gaming and VM (with VMware Workstation).
Is this a good idea to build my next computer with an Hypervisor (so better VM performance) or the gaming will be too much impacted ?

Which hypervisor would you recommend ?
Hyper-V is pretty neat for the small experience I have.

Anyone?

The port of Steam is blocked in my university...
What are some good free VPN services?

Not turning it off

I have 55mbps internet, but 2MB/s torrent speed even when there's 5000 seeders available

I should be getting 6.5MB/s

What's wrong?

is2.Sup Forums.org is slow as fuck, while images from is.Sup Forums.org load normally. Any way I can automatically get all images from is.Sup Forums.org instead of getting some from one and the rest from the other? Using Linux, if that matters.

I'm looking for a laptop being able to do most things.
I can buy a version of this amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-15-au147cl-Touchscreen-i7-7500U/dp/B01N1FYI9K/

-> with an i5-6300 ; 16 Go DDR4 ; GTX960 ; 1 To HDD + 128 Go SSD (which is enough for me)

-> 750$

Is there something better coming near ? Does Sup Forums still throw up at the simple mention of HP ?

This is dumb as hell. I just installed ubuntu, and I have tried several keyboard layouts. Yet, when I attempt to type the pipe symbol I produce the following: >, depending on whether shift is pressed or not.

Any solutions? Google has been no help

learning python. Anything useful I can make that doesn't involve gui

OP here, I found a decent work around.

Go to text entry, keyboard settings, then typing, and change the Alternative Characters Key to on (your key of choice). This allows you to type | when the key is held.

It still sucks since you lose some functionality.

What happens if you try AltGr + the symbol?

I am not sure what that is. I am using a US Keyboard, and under the layout it looks correct. Yet, the key produces the wrong characters.

I'd like to make a backup of my important data.
What's the best thing I can buy reliability/price per GB ?

Is there any language I can both code in and compile on Android?

Also I'd like to be able to use and compile it on Windows as well.

I recently got a Moto G4 with Android version 6.0.1.

How do I select multiple text messages for deletion? I can seemingly only delete one or the whole thread. I can't even find a "lock" option to keep the ones I want and delete the rest.

Are there any low impact programs for windows that allow me to save the last X minutes of gameplay on hotkey press? Shadowplay only allows me to record in fullscreen mode (which is a pain since I run a multi monitor and like to tab out in between matches or rounds and won't be able to see when I need to go back to the game again) OR requires me to put activate Aero for desktop capture which tanks my framerate something fierce.

I don't wanna stream, I don't wanna record terrabytes of footage, I just want that "save last X minutes" feature

Is this thing supposed to be shit?

It has good reviews but mine has packet loss with only 5 devices connected and I have to limit torrent connections to 20 max or it shits itself.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or if I got a faulty one.

Which laptops better?

hp 17-x100na or New Inspiron 17 5000

Hey Sup Forums I can't decide if I should get a 1070 to replace my 770 2GB. I have 2 1080p monitors. and the 770 does me well in pretty much all respects except for the VRAM, but I've found a 1070 for £360 so I'm thinking I should take the offer whilst I can. It'd last me at least 2 or 3, right?

Is that the 5 or 6? You can install OpenWrt on the 5, but you'll need a soldering iron.

wiki.openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v5a

Oh and they're supposed to be good.

Are you participating in that homehub hotspot bullshit? You might have some parasites poncing your connection.
All those BT hotspots are in fact customer routers, i believe it's an opt out service.
You'll lose the ability to use other's hotspots but in turn they lose yours.

automatetheboringstuff.com/

Retard who doesn't understand networking here.

For work related reasons I'm away from home >50% of the time and the dorm I live in finally got covered with wifi.
So I subscribed and got myself an adapter, but it turns out the hotspot is public and unencrypted.
I asked the ISP about it and they answered it's like that to let people connect short term after they send a text payment and receive a temporary login, and it's not gonna be encrypted, ever - but the network has client-to-client forwarding disabled.

How fucked am I, realistically, if I'm going to be using this for everything?
Should I get a VPN? Or is it enough to check for a certificate before I login into internet banking and shit?

tl;dr how suicidal is it to use unencrypted wifi network 24/7?
How much less fucked am I if the network restricts client-to-client forwarding?

modify your hosts file to have is2.Sup Forums.org point to the ip address of is.Sup Forums.org

SMR drives, but note that they are WORM (write once, read many)

Use a VPN on any network you don't trust fully (ie. you setup yourself). Even AES2 Personal is relatively easy to break as part of the encryption relies on the same hash. Only way to be safe on a shared wifi network that you don't trust fully is to use AES2 Enterprise which relies on 802.1x via RADIUS.

Also ensure that any network you connect to uses AES2 CCMP and not TKIP, since the latter is not cryptographically safe.

Source: Am CCIE-certified network engineer at tier1 SP.

Forgot this: Of course you're not safe from whoever runs the network even if they use AES2 CCMP Enterprise, as they can still tcpdump your traffic on the router as the traffic passes by. If you need full privacy, get a L2TP/IPsec VPN or OpenVPN that supports AES-128-GCM.

Thank you user (SMR guy)

Just as a precaution, it needs to be said that WORM really means just that. Never try to overwrite data on a WORM drive. Once it's full, put it on a shelf and get a new one. Make sure to use labeling.

I have a "non-smart" TV and I want to watch a x265 video from my One plus e on the big screen. How?

I got a job offer that I'm pretty sure is shit, but I just want to know what it is

The fk does FSO mean in FSO desktop support?

I'm not aware of any phones that play HEVC, so I'm gonna say that you don't.

a LOT of phones support HEVC playback, the oneplus one included.

Is there any way to make the "pi-fan" (30mm) to be more quiet?
A way that is simple.

Like instead of the 4500-6000rpm, have it go at like 300-800rpm?

Yeah my OP3 can play it flawlessly in VLC I just mentioned x265 as I have a Blu-ray player attached to the TV but it can only play x264.

I had a look at USB to HDMI and Chromecast but they don't seem to be able to perform what I'm after.. playing a video from the OP3 use the phone CPU to process and output on the non-smart full HD TV. Please help!

Does using Tor browser on a virtual machine (OpenSUSE) increase my security?

>using hardware virtualization for software isolation
What you should do is put Kali Linux on a USB disk and boot from that when you need to use tor.

Reduce voltage. You might not be able to go that low though.

Kali is not secure. Use Qubes or Tails.

Source? Not that I disbelieve you, anonposters usually have less reason to lie than other posters, but I'm more interested in how it's not secure.

I only run tor on openbsd on burner hardware that I bought with cash money (not credit card) in a city I don't live in specifically for the reason of running tor.

Yeah, as long as the DC plugs are the correct size, and polarity, some are negitive center, others are negative outside. Get a volt meter and measure the plugs polarity and reference the part sheet of the controller and see if they match.

Your limited by how fast everyone else uploads, so if there is 1000 people at .001mb/s the you only get 2mb/s total.

There's also the fact that a lot of the block lists are now out of date now, or simply block more than they're supposed to.

There was an outage of electricity and then a spike in my house. The modem got screwed, my phone got screwed and my desktop computer started to smoke and now it doesnt start. Is it propably just the psu that got burned? Or did the current would it have affected the mobo or something else too? I dont have spares of anything.

Depends on how big the spike was and the quality of your PSU. If you had a good PSU, it should have offered at least a degree of protection, so most likely just the PSU got fucked. No guarantees, though.

If the phone and modem got screwed, there's a fair chance the network cable gave your mobo a zap. I couldn't rule out either part without testing.

Does your PSU have surge protection?

Don't worry about this, I bought it thanks to peer pressure. HYPE!

It wasn't mine really. The computer (pre-fabricated one) belongs to my aunt but I was wondering if I could just buy her the psu and fix it. I wont bother because all her electric shit got destroyed and if there's a chance other component might be damaged there's no need to waste money.

Thanks.

What are these type of cables called? What is this connector type?

They're proprietary

Schuko

Hey, can i connect Y splitters to the fan headers in the pic and run a total of four fans without Andy issues?

Let's assume the fans are rated at 1,56 W and 12 V

Why the fuck did no-one tell me this existed?

It's always poobar,musicpee or clelentine

How do you reinstall or extract files from an install.esd or from a .wim file? i deleted cortana and didnt made a backup, i want it back because my search bar isnt working

4k screens that are good?

why is firefox slower and heavier after every update? good alternatives?