Virtualbox vs Vmware

Which is best for you?

I like Virtualbox more, probably because I use it since years. Any reasons to use Vmware Player instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xwHmdAWkbx4
linux-kvm.org/page/Windows7Install
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/PCI_passthrough
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

KVM/QUEMU

Why?

Enjoy wasting 12 hours installing Windows 7

Neither they are both shit.

qemu/kvm with virt-manager and libvirt

Because.

WHY

virtualbox and vmware both use proprietary shit and they need kernel modules to be rebuilt every time you update your kernel.

Also they provide literally no advantage over qemu/kvm.

The advantage is ease of use. Not everyone wants to write their own custom script. Proprietary shit like this just werks.

virt-manager is easier to use.
Everyone stopped using virtualbox and vmware when it came out.

proprietary? virtualbox is GPL compliance

Also the proprietary shit doesn't just work, the kernel modules are pain in the fucking ass.

If you want to use rdp usb and a few other things you need the proprietary virtualbox extensions. Without them its garbage.

Ill check it out, thanks. Having to do cli work with long, drawn out commands to find a combination that werks is somewhat daunting.

VMware is a drama queen, never seems to work as intended, needs to download additional bullshit for Linux tools. It is usually for enterprise level use.

Virtualbox has worked faithfully and very straight forward for simple users. I go with that.

Its pretty slick, spice has come a long way.

>12 hours
youtube.com/watch?v=xwHmdAWkbx4
Hardware assisted virtualisation

VMware is vastly, vastly superior to virtualbox

QEMU/KVM is for freetard faggots
Hyper-V is for businesses with a technet subscription (read: any of them with a dev team)

Well fuck it looks like just what I was wanting, but only fedora/debian/gentoo/bsd packages. Ill see if I can roll my own. Or just install gentoo this weekend.

ITT: people who don't use VMs regularly

VMware is leagues ahead of anything else in terms of ease of use. It even handled fucking Plan 9 with zero additional configuration. Even if you're nust running Linux or Windows in a VM, VMware is also significantly less resource intensive. In my experience VirtualBox and qemu eat resources even while the VM is idle.

linux-kvm.org/page/Windows7Install
>Some facts: Installing Windows 7 with IDE drivers require about 12 hours

Are you using a distro that doesn't have systemd or something? If you are don't bother its required.

Arch. Ill look around for a build.

>drivers
That depends entirely on your hardware. How about stop spreading FUD and watch the actual fucking video of KVM in action instead of being in denial

just pirate VMWare Workstation

A build for what? Arch has qemu and virt-manager on the official repos

Yeah I just found it. I was only reading the official website, and what they had available.

Virtualbox is more convenient in several aspects, but there are vmware-specific passworded VMs I might need to access, hence using VMWare

> Everyone

yes

UNITY
N
I
T
Y

The main reason I'm using VMWare Workstation.

Qemu/kvm or xen with virt-manager is best

Wow, doesn't look that easy. Will stay with Virtualbox where it needs 10 klicks to make a VM.

I still find Virtualbox easier to use. But I'm using Vmware more now, maybe my opinion changes.

>can't go over 128 mb vram
I can hardly genuinely use anything in there

For Linux, yes. Windows 256mb. Vmware can use up to 2GB. Pretty much okay for lurking and .mkv movies etc.
Is it possible to gayme with KVM/QUEMU? Would like to play some games that not work on Wine like Anno 2070 Uplay version etc.
Maybe there is indeed a reason to try it.

VirtualBox lets you set a limited cpu usage, but VMWare has better video card support in my experience

>Ubuntu
>auf deutsch
>Torsten Tränkner
>sudo bash
stopped watching
0/10

VMWare, but just because i run ESXi on my server.

youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/PCI_passthrough

Then don't install it using IDE drivers, duh.

How's the weather in Mumbai, Rahul?

Filled with large paychecks and free time, since I'm not spending 16 hours a day troubleshooting some open source workaround fix for a virtual machine.

Was hast du gegen Deutsch, Jonge.

Know this video. Pass through is no solution, because the video card can't be used from the host. So it's pretty much like running Windows with a Linux guest.
Also I'm too stupid and lazy to try this. (But I hope in the next 5-10 years will be a real working solution for gaming on Linux with VMs.)

Better options now with Nvidia's GRID vGPU tech and Intel's is probably usable by now with Windows clients.

>kraut guy launch a script
intredasting

>because I use it since years.

What the fuck

Tech muss auf englisch sein.Einfacher für jeden.

>KVM/QEMU is complicated
... Why not just use virt-manager?

Hyper-V is the best but Virtualbox is the best one that can run on any OS.

VMWare because virtualbox doesn't run my vIOS VMs

I use Vmware workstation, it's amazing for me

For someone new at virtualization what would you suggest? VirtualBox, VMware or Qemu/KMV?

What if some one wants to make a specific distro for virtualization?
Like running puppy linux from RAM as a Host for a VM of another OS?

Virtualbox always crashed for me so I swhitched to virt manager like a year ago. No problems since then.

Which solution has a workable remote UI that can be used from almost any web browser and allows access to VMs from said browser?
Exactly, now fuck off shill.

If you're on windows then just pirate vmware, if you're on linux, go for either virtualbox of virt-manager (virt-manager, or virtual machine manager is just a graphical frontend for qemu/kvm). I would not use qemu/kvm in itself since setting up vms from the terminal sounds like a hassle (and it's not like I'm afraid of using the terminal).

>linux
That's what I'm going for.
I'm running debian, but I don't want to install application that I might not use frequently, and have to allocate resources for it.
So I thought if I create a live USB and install virtualization software on it then use it to run vms, and use whatever space left in the USB flash drive for the VM.
Is this a good idea?
Are there any distros that come pre-installed with virtualization software?

It took 10 minutes on my array with VirtIO.
Windows installer has some single threading bottlenecks.
I saved a copy I can duplicate to spin up VMs faster.

Where do you get the ISOs for windows to use in VMs?
Do you use Tiny7 or MicroXP?

My collection of digital river ISOs.
The torrents are still out there so you can still get all of MS's untouched ISOs.

>Are there any distros that come pre-installed with virtualization software?
I'm using debian too. Literally all you have to do is to type
sudo apt-get install virtualbox
or
sudo apt-get install virt-manager
into the terminal, you don't need a virtualization-specific distro to do this.
>create a live USB
Just install the virtualization software on your PC and keep the images on the USB if you're so anal about disk space. It's not like the virtualization software will take up more than a couple hundred megabytes at worst. Also, your USB should be at least 32 gigabytes if you plan on running any recent version of windows in the vm.

And use DAZ?

VMSPico and DAZ loader depending on 7 or 8.
Both work just fine.

I know that.
I don't want to install stuff, that I might need only once then have to delete it.
>Moving the image to USB flash drive
This is a good idea actually.
>Pre-installed VM
I meant, is there a distro with VM purpose in mind.
Like how TAILS is based around anonymity and KALI towards penetration.

What about drivers for the VM? for example...
1. If I run windows inside a VM then connected a printer, would I need to install the printer's driver on the VM as well as the host OS?
2. If I used VirtualBox, etc to boot OS installed on HDD from another machine.
How would the driver works?

>If I run windows inside a VM then connected a printer, would I need to install the printer's driver on the VM as well as the host OS?
You could install the printer's driver's on the host machine and it will automatically transfer over to the VM if it supports those drivers. At least with VMware.

What's the minimum hardware requirement to run a VM?Windows 7 for example.
Is Core i5 2520m with 4GB of RAM enough?

The only vm-oriented distros that I could find are aimed at server-virtualization, which makes sense, since you don't need to customize your OS for ordinary virtualization as much as you'd need to for privacy or hacking.
Btw if you want to delete something you can just sudo sudo apt-get --purge autoremove , that should leave the least possible amount of unnecessary files around after uninstalling (sorry if you already know it, I just have no idea about your skill level or why you want to avoid installing programs so much).

I ran windows vms on a windows host on a machine that had an i5-760 which is an even older CPU, although it had 8 gigs of ram instead of 4. Anyway, your system should be able to handle a windows 7 vm.

VMware is definitely better because it does nested virtualization. Completely necessary if your are running something like a GNS3 VM.

Hyper-V, because AVMA and commercial support.

Mostly because AVMA.

My support VM server is an eight-core Avoton motherboard. It doesn't haul ass like my Xeon D-1521, but it still does alright for light-usage VMs like running four different seed-boxes at the same time.

>leave the least possible amount of unnecessary files around after uninstalling
True, but it still leaves some stuff, and if you try to do that you inevitably remove an important package.
APT make it very safe but other package managers like Pacman or Yum, make this a nightmare.
>Skill level
Average?
>avoid installing programs
Keep things to minimum, is what I'd like to say.
But I'm using a laptop, and nearly everything I use is "modular".
I have a several USB flash drives with different distros modified to do specific tasks.
For example I have one with manjaro for general purpose, debian with different IDEs for programing, etc.

They both suck.

HyperV or KVM/QEMU because you need proper networking.

I ran win 10 beta on a celeron 1007u and 4gb ram in virtualbox. It's surprisingly good.