Home server thread?

Home server thread?
Why not.
>
>
>
>*insert OP question here*

After numerous servers and failures, I've decided to throw money at my needs. Replacing all my servers with one.
My goal:
200w limit normal usage
Capacity for VMs
Over 10tb storage

Here's my parts list so far.
Https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QGD76X
I'm going to get an ES of that cpu for around ~$150, slightly lower base clock, but fuck it.
The drives are all used, I'm not sure so far on redundancy solutions yet, maybe raid10, maybe zfs

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/pedge_r810_specsheet_en.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>$1000 12 core processor
You don't need that. Buy a 6 core on a dual-socket board (google, you can find them for similar prices). That's more than enough for what I assume to be a fileserver+some VMs. We have dual socket 12 core servers (48 threads) and the only time we max them out is when we're running overnight UI smoke tests.

A dual socket board with a single 6C/12T processor will give you expandability in the future without loss of function now.

also
>the drives are all used
Like buying a pre-chewed hamburger

i run a server with a $50 mobo/cpu combo in a minitx case with an 8tb red
i could easily add 2 more drives but am short on cash for them
seems to run just fine for torrenting (5000+ torrents) and streaming over the LAN
i also watch videos on the tv is connected to
uses 40W under full load with 1080p display active

Hgst used 2tb is like buying a slightly cold hamburger, they last a looong time.

>dual socket
>on a 200w budget

>$1000
That's why I'm getting an engineering sample for $150.

I have a 15 year old dell desktop with a few no-name pata hdds and 512MB ram and runs an ancient version of OpenBSD.

I use it mainly for Samba shares on my home network.

I did that once
P4 based with a Excalibur 12port Ide and 12 drives.
It fucked up almost immediately.

Mind sharing your specs?

Its a bad idea. I looked into it and people get wired errata on es chips. Like kernel panic your fucked time to reboot stuff. You'll probably ignore my advice because you have your mind made up already. But try to look for the latest stepping or revision. These chips go through multiple revisions before they are unleashed on the general public. Get an early stepping, you get the bugs that come with it. You have been warned.

Absolutely fucking pointless.
Running that will probably cost you as much as using AWS.

My running costs are free

My upload is 2mbps, and download is 16mbps so I could not stream any of the 4k content I have on my current one

Copying my current datastore will take fucking months.

Can't map it as a drive and use it as general storage because slow

>cloud is better hurr

How do these things work (in terms of working together as a unit)?
No hate pls, I'm genuinely interested in this

The one I'm looking at is stepping 0.
Its worth the risk to me, but with that information, ZFS sounds like a bad idea.

In searching, I could not really find better options. I need at least 8 cores, and prefer 12, as I will be running quite a few VMs on it if it goes well.

Any suggestions for a low power server? I just want to push all my network traffic through a vpn, and host a media server. Tried using a rpi 3 but it significantly lowered my speed.

Get a NUC

X E O N - D
E
O
N
|
D

My centos 7 server will no longer talk to the land but will still talk to the Internet. It's not the firewall. What else might it be?

I have a similar setup.
My Dell desktop has 256MiB instead and it's running FreeBSD. I'm using it as a file server.

meh, need to take a better pic sometime

nothing exciting, atom d510 running pfsense for routing and firewall, couple of raspi2's running raspian as a print server and other stuff, j1900 runnning xenserver and two HP N36L microservers for storage

Two weeks ago, some buddies and I bought a 2008 Dell PowerEdge R810 for $250. It runs whatever the latest Ubuntu is, and it has 64GB of ram (though it's old DDR2 533 megahertz ram). Here's the spec sheet: dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/pedge_r810_specsheet_en.pdf

We're going to run a Minecraft server, and we're also going to host a very spartan website for the server that I made with my 1998-tier HTML skills. It should be a lot of fun, and hopefully, when we get enough kids playing on the server, it can generate some cash flow

Unfortunately, it won't be up until my friend (who is very well versed in networking, and can run Linux from the command line like some kind of wizard) comes back from college with his router. I can't wait until it's up, though -- it's been a really fun Christmas break project

The R810 isn't a bad machine. Though I think a 4 socket server is overkill for Minecraft.

Also, FBDIMM's run hot.

cache coherency protocols on a dual-socket board makes things a lot slower than a single 12 core CPU, just saying.

>cache coherency protocols on a dual-socket board
Except where core speed and thermal envelope makes up for the difference.

And because NUMA is a thing, the penalty is usually only 10% - 15% up to 4 sockets, and about 5% performance at 8 sockets.

Not that it matters, because 8 socket x86_64 systems are fucking expensive anyway.

>CentOS box
>running plex
>ftp
>file server
what else do i need for a decent home server?

Give your 10th of pirated content to the cloud! Yea... that's a good plan.

not everything is NUMA-aware. But I agree with you. Also single threaded performance is probably more important than muh cores for most applications.

>>CentOS box

>most common enterprise OS
>bad

What should I do with my dual socket 1U server with 128GB of ECC ram and 2 xeons with 4 cores / 8 threads each? I used to live where there was fast internet but then I moved and now I only get 10Mbs/800KBs internet speeds max, and usually only 200KBs, so now I can't host anything or use it as a seedbox anymore.

I really would like to put it in someone elses datacenter and just pay for the space/electricity/internet monthly from them, but I don't know how expensive that usually is, or what that is even called to search for it.

actually those speeds are wrong as they are download speeds, my upload is about 1/10th that.

Run a home server off this.

vacuum your shit

>not everything is NUMA-aware
It doesn't usually have to be. Memory management is handled at the OS level for anything that needs to be memory aware.

Some sort of automation to constantly and consistently feed plex content to be streamed

>colocation
Look it up

thanks, somebody mentioned the word before but I forgot it, and google wouldn't give it to me with the searhes I tried.

>asrock x99 and E5-V4 Xeon ES
motherfucker, stole my idea, was going for a mini itx X99 though

I'm using a E5-2670-V3 ES on my desktop, shit is wack, and I haven't noticed any weird bugs or problems relating to the CPU (had problems at the start, but turned out the motherboard was bust), then again I looked for one with as late stepping/model as possible and got one reasonably close to end-stepping

picked up a used HP Z400 to use as my server. going to through a couple TB drives in there and call it good.

any recommendations for a HDD? Are the WD Reds a meme?

Hitachi or go ~

Throw ESXi on it so you can use for multiple things at the same time. Servers like that are pretty much built ground up for virtualization.

INB4 I get told how high my power bills must be. Only thing I keep powered on 24/7 is the switch, packetshaper and router. Everything else is only powered on when I'm using it.

my home server is a raspberry pi 3.

postin' test server 1

and 2

Buy enough of whatever you buy that reliability isn't an issue.

Used drives are fine if you monitor the S.M.A.R.T. early and often. I've never had a disk fail completely without several days notice. With proper RAID and backups, disk failure isn't a problem.

What mobo should I use for a $40 Xeon E5-2650

didn't mean to quote

I got 16 blades. brety gud.

What is a good mobo for a dual xeon 5140 setup? I already have a supermicro x7dtc but i cant fit It anywhere

It does okay, i get about 80-110Mb/s up down over LAN
OpenMediaServer with a 2tb hdd atm,

I plan to get more drives soon.

I might connect up my old i7 laptop to do all the heavy lifting for plex, this does not have enough power to do much.

I also have a couple of atom netbooks that I sometimes use, i used to run ftp and some game servers on them

Please disconnect LED

Synology NAS in garage
file server
email server
web server
plex server
torrent box

Not a single regret.

Have you got yourself a job yet?

I put some tape over it, it also goes red when something is broken so im going to keep it connected.