Drawing tablets in GNU/Linux?

Anyone here works/worked with one of these? I've been wanting to buy one to fool around and maybe learn how to draw, specifically, the smallest and cheapest Intuos Draw model. It has an active area of 152 mm x 95 mm, which I think is too small, but maybe you can scroll it or whatever. What is your experience with drawing tablets? Do they work good on GNU/Linux?

Wacom tablets (and some other brands like huion) have great plug in play support in Linux. Just make sure to stick to desktop environments like unity, gnome 3, cinnamon, or plasma if you want a GUI to easily configure things with the tablet.

Also if you're buying for art check out the programs my paint or Krita.

Old thread, but I'll weigh in on what I decided to do as a compromise when upgrading.

I got an Android tablet. Yep.
Android tablet + VNC / RDP client. Specifically one with a decent stylus.
Works really well for remote control and as a graphics tablet.

You'll NOT get pressure control, but I've never cared for that feature at all.
Every time I have ever tried to use it, it always felt shit and unpredictable.
The only reason you'd ever want it is if you wanted to emulate using traditional media when drawing. I still find it vastly superior to steer fucking clear from emulating traditional media and techniques when drawing.
It's so much easier to deal with A single pressure that is reliable.

The lack of buttons can be overcome by having an on-screen keyboard open and writing some simple scripts in your favorite language (you can get nice small keyboards, or use a standard one)
Or, you know, just using your keyboard.
In the case of Windows, I just wrote some shitty simple Autohotkey scripts and mapped them to the function keys, which in my client I could have visible all the time. (Jump Desktop)

Speaking of clients:
I use Jump Desktop. It's the only one I've found decent enough for drawing with. It has 1:1 mapping of the stylus to the screen.
It has zooming mode so you can even zoom in closely for precise movements. Extremely handy.
Another one that is fairly decent is VNC Viewer. It doesn't have 1:1 mapping, but it still works reasonably well. You might not want 1:1 mapping so you can use another section of the screen for moving the mouse so you can see what you are doing. Also has decent zooming. (which moves the mouse relative to the scale)
bVNC also works kind of nice as well. Has various input methods you can switch between, but I found it fiddly.
Biggest advantage is if you get a Samsung tablet, it has multi-window support.

My Huion H420 worked out the box with Antergos.

Let's see your art, because what you just said is absolutely fucking retarded.

Get fucked, dickhead.

sounds like fucking hell

Your sense of scale is rather off.

Why retarded?

All it is is an tablet working as a graphics tablet.
There's no weird magic going on. It actually works well.
It's exactly the same as using a standard graphics tablet, sans the pressure and maybe some custom buttons. And in the case of higher end models, slightly less precise. (but just like Android tablets, you get what you pay for, don't think your chinkshit will work well as a graphics tablet)

I do it as well to draw my animeme sketches.
Here's some I did earlier while sitting in the living room.
Will probably fix these up and color tomorrow.
Oh, and actually make them separate images, of course. These are just clean sketches for the layout, after all.
Laugh at my shitty arm. oh god be gentle

Not him, but it's pretty true to Doom's unrealistic scale.

officially BTFO by a loli drawfag

>You'll NOT get pressure control, but I've never cared for that feature at all.
I had the first generation Galaxy Note (phone, not tablet) and I remember it having the pressure sensitivity when drawing something. Stronger pushing gave a thicker line.
If the feature is there on the Android device maybe there's a way to get it to your computer as well.

I'm not OP and I'm not even that interested in the subject, I just thought of that thing while reading the thread.

No I mean with sending it through VNC / RDP to a PC.
I've not found any client that supported it.

Not that I actively tried to find it to be honest.
There probably is some that support it via RDP. I don't think VNC supports that API.

Not too bad, do you change the brush size for thinner lines? I use pressure so I don't need to.

Yeah, I prefer fixed brush sizes.
I never could get used to dynamic pressure. (which is weird because I can draw great with traditional media)

Admittedly I only recently started doing digital work semi-seriously.
Doing a bunch of sketches at once every week to practice, pick a few I like and color them.
I've always had a nasty habit of not finishing pictures for years, or half-assing them.
Perfectionism is a curse I am trying to kill.

RDP sends pressure information if you're running Windows 8.1 or later. Not sure about Android to Windows.

What tablet are you using? I only had an issue with finnicky pressure sensitivity on the Galaxy Note 1 phone, which is fixed with a Thinkpad X60 Stylus.

Never did try out RDP.
I had heard it sent pressure information on newer OSes now that you mention it.
I stuck with VNC because I was used to it.
Luckily Jump, which seems to be the best client as mentioned above, supports RDP too.

Using a Galaxy Note 10. Like, one of the first models or some shit.
The pressure sensitivity seems to work well from testing in various drawing apps.
I mainly got GN10 because the multi-tasking, which I find highly useful.

Only app I ever stuck with drawing in was that Sketchbook Express. The full version fucking blows because of the horrible UI. Holy inferior UI decisions Batman.
But given how limited apps are, I decided to try out the tablet + VNC + PC method I had been hearing about.
It worked pretty damn well considering.
Saved me getting a graphics tablet of my own.
They are fine devices, but I find this method far more useful because I can now draw anywhere around the house in comfort now.

Wrote a few hotkeys to map to some features, sorted.
Jump is really handy in that it has a little strip of buttons that normally don't appear in most keyboards (besides Hackers Keyboard, which I use anyway)
Saves having a full keyboard open, just map the function keys to copy, paste, undo, delete, and so on. It technically has some of these keys, but some of them are a scroll or few away from each other. I'm lazy as it is fuck.

I have an old wacom bamboo and the support was actually better on Linux than it was on windows 7.
Back then the bamboo came with 3 CDs and it didn't inform me which one had the windows drivers, so I wasted a few hours installing a lot unnecessary shit before I could start working with it.
When I tried Kubuntu I was surprised to see that the bamboo worked by just plugging it, without having to configure a single thing. The drivers were all there right out of the box and the programs used to configure the tablet on KDE was way better than the Windows ones.
Since then I've only booted windows to play games, and very rarely since almost everything I play has Linux support.

You don't use a android tablet with vnc to draw stuff, user.
That's like trying to film a movie with your cellphone and then complain that it looks like shit.

Works great in Linux.
>xf86-input-wacom

Inspiration hasn't hit me yet. I thought I would transform into a meme generator.

It looks fine for someone who draws lolis for memes.
But someone who actually do art for money would never use a shit setup like that.
>I don't care about pressure
That pretty much sums it all.

My intuous 4 is over 6 years old and still works like new.

The one built into the X220T works great.

How much do the stylus thingies even last?

Tip wear is based on your touch so if you're very heavy handed you might need to replace those but the replacements are cheap. The pen that came with mine has a silicone grip that is loosened up but no holes worn through. All in all you pretty much get what you pay for, and no other company is trying to compete quality wise vs wacom

head looks out of place and your taste is bad

On Linux? Did you have to configure it in some special way?

My sister does all her drawings in Krita running Ubuntu Gnome with that wacom tablet you speak off.

The linux support of wacom tablets is really good (better than Windows), you just plug the thing and it works (at least in Ubuntu), you can configure the sensitivity and buttons on Gnome Settings.

that's not how someone holds a knife

Don't comment on shit you don't understand, retard.
You too.

The tablet is just an input device, it doesn't affect quality.
Also, millions of people do art for money without using pressure-based drawing.
Hell, there's loads of people that use mouse only and get by fine. (or trackballs)
There's even people that prefer it after having used a graphics tablet.

Pressure-based drawing is only fine for a very small subset of art.
For anything else it's fucking retarded.
Good luck getting fine lines with pressure on.
The advantage of digital art is it ISN'T traditional media and it can be relied on to be 100% predictable.
Traditional media doesn't even compare to a digital tool.
You can replicate all traditional media advantages with none of its disadvantages simply using density and opacity.

What if I'm using a DE like XFCE?

Wacom models all work without hassle.
They workwith less hassle than on Windows actually.

You forgot the duck face.

also visible cleavage and skimpy clothing.
And selfie stick.

It just werks on Linux. Using mine wacom with my i3 desktop

Linux support most of Wacom tablet out of the box.
It's configuration that might have difficulty with.
So far user-friendly DEs have best support for this, especially KDE.
Other DEs require you to install wacom utility which would break xorg.
You can install kcm-wacomtablet, but it would mean you need to install many KDE dependencies, which in that case you should go with KDE from the beginning.

What linux lack, is creative software to use wacom with.
Krita is good but not industry exclusive.
Gimp is a prove of concept.

So you need to use Windows, to utilize wacom full potentials, or have to fiddle with WINE to get a partially working PS with no pressure support for wacom.

The artwork is pretty amateurish but i commend you for having the balls to show it here, good sir. Your setup seems good enough for napkin animeme sketches but if you want to do properly inked stuff you ought to consider a real tablet. Used Wacoms are 30-40 bucks on eBay, there's no excuse.

well meme'd

It was literally a sketch I did in the living room.
It's not even finished.
I put barely any effort in to it.

They aren't even remotely needed.
You can color things just as well on a shitty Android tablet as you can a graphics tablet. There's zero difference besides the pressure sensitivity and maybe some buttons on better models.
I don't care for doing pressure-sensitive drawings since you can, and most do, emulate it with opacity and density. (which is why most programs added the ability to anchor pressure on to both of those facets of your brush instead of the width because dynamic-width is a niche thing even in most digital art)