Why does everyone hate GNOME 3 so much?

Why does everyone hate GNOME 3 so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=695371
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Interface nazism

UGLY AS FUCK

I don't. I would use it as my main DE if i3 didn't exist. But I can see why people would be turned off by the interface, since it's basically made for tablets.

Systemd
Designed for and by autists.

Also GTK3

It's the most painful to use desktop environment I have ever seen.

how?

It's a massive downgrade from gnome 2 in design and functionality, but a step up in ricing and shitty design

Because they are 87 years old and need menus to find programs on their computer.

The main problem is that it sucks. If it didn't suck so much it might be better.

It is better than Unity in a sense. It manages to suck even more than Unity. My guess is that Canonical set out to make the shittiest DE imaginable, but they failed, because Gnome 3 exists. Canonical literally fails at everything, including failure.

What about it do you take issue with exactly? Saying it sucks is just lazy, explain yourself faggot

low customizability

counters intuition in some aspects

the hotkeys are retarded and and again counter intuition, you have to adapt to them or change a shitload of things

fairly heavy

it's like unity and kde had a defective child

I love hot corners though.

>counters intuition in some aspects
How?

>the hotkeys are retarded and and again counter intuition, you have to adapt to them or change a shitload of things
Which hotkeys are different than other distros?

>fairly heavy
What does this mean?

It lacks functionality and requires third-party garbage like Tweak Tool to be even remotely usable.

i hate it because of the stupid app drawer. Reminds me of an Android phone. Disorganized and disgusting.

Far less features than other DE's and crude in its configuration.

Because it's cool to use non-standard desktop environments or window managers where you have to configure half the stuff that just works out of the box in GNOME, Unity or KDE.

>spoonfeed me pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease
no

you have one question worth answering, the first, and I'm not answering it because I can't remember it, I don't use gnome 3 regularly.

Because in earlier versions it was terrible. Since about 3.16 it's been okay.

It still has its flaws, but much of the hate today is a sour taste from the early days of 3. With good reason too, things were a shitshow.

It is actually great and the people saying it is not are not using it (as shown by replies).

However, there are things like this :
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=695371

Try it instead of asking!

because it's shit made by programmers who thinks are good in design so they force you to use your desktop their way

I have to move my pointer to the corner of the screen to switch applications. I know I can use an extension to fix it but Gnome shouldn't have be shitty by default.

because KDE, or XFCE if you can't run it, is the only logical choice in 2017

Pretty much this .

Today Gnome 3 is a great advancement over Gnome 2. It's simple enough that Grandma can use it out of the box and not get overloaded with options or fuck something up. It was way too easy to accidentally click or drag something in Gnome 2 and end up missing important taskbar widgets. Old people fuck up with the mouse more than you can imagine.

They don't force you to do anything. They just set you up with simple defaults (minus the system tray in the bottom-left. wtf were they thinking?). You are free to use extensions, themes, and even modify the program itself.

Alt-tab, or press the Windows key.

Ubuntu is great if you ignore Unity.

I tried Fedora earlier today. It's still shit.

>you are a 87 years old man who needs buttons to do shit lol just do this autist shit instead it's more modern you old fag

tell me how to move top panel to the bottom so...

inb4 low this web site to install something that should be installed by default

I am too normie to use shortcuts

this

>dwm
you have to learn C

>awesome
you need to know lua

>i3wm
ugly as shit out of the box, i3docs are nice but trying to find each config for the bar and windows are retarded. so is simply changing the border colors. which are stupid nonetheless

>openbox
not bad

>every other wm
has one small feature over i3 and shitty documentation. NO i dont want polybar i want a default fucking bar preconfigured. NO i dont want to pipe a bash script into literally everything

also, name one WM that has rounded corners.

only thing i hate about gnome is systemd. but even with systemd, the programs in systemd are good. it is a fully functioning init system. sure it may be the fat bloated init system, but it works perfectly fine and everyone just loves the hate train

>Super key -> alt + number for window
>LET ME MOVE HAND OFF THE KEYBOARD AND ONTO MY MOUSE TO CLICK THIS ICON HERE

Which is really more efficient?

the second one is more natural and that's how you should do UI instead of forcing your user to learn your autism cmd

you can set hotkeys in gnome easily lol

Normie Android and iOS users get along fine without a taskbar on the screen all the time.

The first one is gnome by default.
You can still be an inefficient retard in gnome if you must.

literally a dock at the bottom of ios. and virtually all applications have a form of taskbar

> ok it's shit but you can do our work by improve it by yourself-DE

>you have to learn C
not really, i think dwm is so well written that pretty much everything is obvious

op of that post

dwm is a great looking, and functioning, wm. i get that that goal is to make it small, but would it could be made so much better by a simple config file. i dont feel like recompiling everytime. also, the config file could finally give the devs some rest from users complaining about problems they have when using the binary version instead of compiling from source

For me it was the fact that they started taking away all the options for customization so that they could start a "brand". Fucking dumbest open source decision I can think of. Also, they shit on any and all of their user base who had the audacity to question their decisions.

Because gnome haters are either hypocritical retards or autistic.
There are some legit design flaws, and gnome devs have hard-on for removing perfectly normal features because "they don't use them, so why would anyone else?"
But any gnome issues can be fixed with either extensions, tweak tool, or dconf-editor.

paid shills

>he thinks reverse shilling is shilling

adorable

they keep removing useful features and replacing previously good designs with hipster 'innovation' bullshit redesigns.
the developers have a stuck up "we know what you want/need better than you do, we know best" attitude.
they deliberately make customisation difficult, for example they keep breaking the fucking theme API, I've had to rewrite my custom gtk.css like 4 times. they deliberately obscure configuration options, and they've removed many configuration options altogether.

no, fuck you gnome developers, this is my fucking computer and I'll use it how I see fit. if I want windows or a mac I'd fucking buy windows or a mac. fuck off.

>Ubuntu is great if you ignore Unity.

Ubuntu is great if you avoid the official release, and go with one of it's derivatives. Xubuntu or Mint are usually what I'll recommend to people wanting to give Linux a try.

Isn't this what customizations are?

The thing that boggled my mind is the lack of minimize/maximize window buttons.

Slow, sluggish and wastes so much screen space with App drawer

Is the way GNOME integrates with Firefox a security risk? I want to use GNOME but I feel like the need for third party extensions and Firefox integration is just a huge security flaw

Mostly for historical reason, Gnome 2 was a really good and stable DE and the first versions of Gnome 3 were a disaster, they were trying to make a desktop for smaller machines like laptops and tablets because of the 2009 tablet craze that cause everyone to buy the "Desktops are dying!" meme.

It took Gnome years to fix the mess that was Gnome3, but after a lot of effort and PhDs on UX design it's mostly usable today.

I'm pretty sure the plugin only works on the GNOME website

I love it. Hate KDE, Cinnamon and Xfce so much. They are so ugly

> cinnamon
> ugly

bitch please.

That was the ugliest out of them all kek

Its designed for touchscreens and has little customization

I use parts of it in Cinnamon.

Gnome 3 : basic missing things thats you need to fix yourself = unfinished shit
KDE : lot of features thats u CAN choose, with simple GUI = customisation

I'm trying GNOME 3 right now, after a long time of refusing to even touch it. Its not so bad as it though it was.
You can make it look bretty good and behave like a proper desktop environment with a few tweaks.
It also feels pretty fast and responsive.
But GTK is a mess right now, it seems like they're changing stuff way too fast and the people making themes for it can't keep up. After two hours or so of testing lots of different GTK themes, I've decided on using the default dark one because all my favorite themes are broken in one way or another. There's a problem where most themes will make the window buttons disappear on non-GTK programs, and nobody knows why or how to fix it.

Its fucking unusable.
>literally can't minimize a window unless you install some tweak tool

Right click window title bar -> minimize?
I agree though, having to use a tweak tool just to regain functionality every GUI ever has by default is just bonkers

>Cinnamon
>ugly
bitch please

>I love hot corners though.
cinnamon has the best implementation of that.

I gave KDE a try but absolutely hated the task switcher, didn't like their Expose implementation and the mouse acceleration always felt off. I've used Windows, Mac, Unity and mouse acceleration/movement was very consistent. KDE never feels right to me. Maybe if you can get used to all these annoyances, KDE can be good for you but I never got into it.

As for GNOME3, I fucking hate everything about it. I hate those unified window UIs, I fucking hate that pointless bar at the top, I hate the File manager it ships with and I ABSOLUTELY HATE how there's no menus on anything and how fucking impossible it is to customize things.

Seriously, fuck GNOME3. I'd use KDE over GNOME3 any day of the week... if I had to and Cinnamon wasn't available.

Cinnamon gets almost everything right.

ugly, bloated, gtk, slow, inefficient interfaces.

I like it and I've never actually heard valid points against it

SystemD is horrible garbage.
Other than that it is a nice productivity a focused DE.
I'd recommend it to anyone

dopesmoker?

Post pape pls

It makes OS X look like a compact, well designed conventional UI for productive professionals

I have never seen anyone praise it who did not either fullscreen fucking everything or live their live in a terminal and a web browser, so, most linux users

>SystemD is horrible garbage.
why?

Probably for the exact same reasons most other software a typical linux user uses is garbage

But he only cares about systemd, because he's too lazy to read the docs for unit files and muh bloat in PID1

What about bloat in the kernel huh faggot? What about bloat and obfuscation in the libraries linked to fucking everything and your de-facto compiler? It's GNU/Linux, violating the UNIX way harder than a 12 year old anime girl swimming in an octopus tank is in the name.

A guy I know at work decided to give Linux a try few months ago and he told me he hated it. I asked him why and he said he hated how desktop works. I asked what DE he used and he didn't know the name but after describing it, it was obvious it was GNOME3. I told him to try other DEs and he just said he doesn't wanna waste any time and will stick with macOS and Windows.

GNOME3 gives Linux a bad name.

If you're in Linux's target audience it's great.

Normies who don't even check their email in vim can just leave

Even though gnome 3 is a bit more lightweight and less "complicated" than unity, I prefer using unity over gnome 3. I like Unity's "osx-like" implementation of the top menu that works integrates fine with gtk/qt programs. I also like how when programs are in full screen mode, the title bar of the program merges with the top bar. This saves more screen space compared to gnome.

This image some other user made explains it well.

GNOME has GNU buried in its name. If you expect it to be a high quality DE you're a fucking idiot.

Nothing GNU makes is 100% good. It's always an okay concept executed very poorly. See: Emacs, bash, gnutls

Compare: Vim, zsh, libressl

>that bottom bar
Looks like shit famu

let's see your setup. until you post it, your opinion is worthless.

>Go to a restauarant
>order goodfood a la carte
>get badfood a la shit
>complain to chef because your goodfood tastes like shit
>"non miss sewer, if you can not cook ze better dish i do not want to hear it, your opinion is worthless hon hon hon"

It's hidden 99% of the time. I have it on autohide but showed it to make a screenshot. Can't do that with GNOME3 shit.

And it looks perfect to me. It's just Arc Dark theme.

>another windows toddler is trying to troll on 4chins
>he can't even post a screenshot of shit shit setup

Sorry, but this is not the new desktop thread.

Have a maki to sate your sick weeaboo urges instead

__ _ _______ _____ __ ___ __ ___ ____ ___ ____ ________ _ ____ _______ ____ ___ ___ _____ ____ _______ __ ____ ___

They have to be enabled via tweak tool. Makes hardly any sense I know.

because they're for plebs.

gnome is trying to help you. maybe one day you'll even learn how to use a tiling window manager.

Got no wifi on me laptop. So im taking a screenshot via phone

My bar hides as well...

That's not me

>chrome
>bottom right icons fuckery
>ghostery
Kys

Why the hell do you have top right exit, minimize and screen resize on Chrome
Then a top left resize, exit etc on Terminal.

Literal Autism

What theme is that?

not him but you can't modify chromium.

You can't make the comparison with LO, because it doesn't use GTK3 HeaderBars.

Get ready for gtk4

So their phylosophy is make a user friendly desktop and theres where the shit starts.
For most linux user this isnt so important, they prefer somthing more complex and customizable normies use windows and MacOS not linux thats a fact, it was a shit move from them and disenfranchise big part of their user base.

The old versions of gnome you where able to customize it without gnome telling you what you can use or not. For example if the top panel was crap you could use other types of panels and disable the default on

They force programs on you without even needing them. Some crap tools cant be disabled you have to chmod -x if you want them out.

Customization sucks balls, the plugin system breacks often, having to install a plugin to change the color of the top bar is retarded

I actually like it, but pic related, GNOME, and Wine don't go well together so I am using Mate (I use FreeBSD).

too much whitespace

it's a mild pet peeve but one which fucks with my productivity quite a bit, when I switch between work spaces, it doesn't separate the ALT-Tab windows the way other DEs do

So I get in an annoying situation where i've got two workspaces open with two different word documents and two difference instances of firefox open, I get taken back to the first workspace when I alt-tab to firefox when I was actually just trying to switch to firefox in the second workspace

>Unity
>Bad
It has the best high DPI scaling

>Gnome
>Bad
Second best

People don't use 1376x768 screens anymore you guys know that right?

any uis for linux with are 1;1 of windoes?

>Android and iOS
you fucking nigger
those are mobile OS
I need a desktop environment for desktop computer

FreeBSD w/XFCE is a glorious experience

gnome tweak tool should be shipped with gnome instead of gnome games

they know only manchildren rice thier desktop

opinionated bait

SAtan is Cool

/thread

>I have to move my pointer to the corner of the screen
>I have to