/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

hodinkee.com/articles/a-seventy-five-dollar-watch-that-looks-like-a-million-bucks
youtu.be/6qBxG3OhqUc?t=20m1s
watchobsession.co.uk/collections/new-in/products/hirsch-rebel-nylon-nato-style-watch-strap-in-green?variant=16913568645
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Screw you, Chas.

why don't they make these kind of movements anymore?

The boring answer is 'because quartz'. I'd love a modern tuning fork movement though.

Is there a site that has detailed information / reviews about specifc movements?

17jewels.info has some

Hi. Getting a leather strap for this later.

Wear it in good health, my friend.

Don't. Seikos only look good in bracelets.

Thoughts on scvs011? Wanted to buy a sarb033 but this thing is cheaper. I can't seem to find anything about it

Really now

Literally took me two seconds in the Google to find out this was discontinued and no longer made. Don't know how you know it's cheaper when it isn't made anymore.

got my Seiya field watch today

It came with a screwdriver?

2 from 5
5 from 3

yessir. screw bars for the strap.

>stowa

what's wrong with stowa?

Dial type A looks pretty close to the murph watch (fucking put it up for sale, hamilton). If only I didn't already have two 9015 watches I'd pick it up.

I'm personally not a fan of date windows right next to a numeral on the dial but I like the cathedral hands and the minute track on that one. The build quality is pretty solid but I'm trying to refrain tackling the lug screws until I'm actually not drunk so I'm going to have to hold off on wearing it for at least one day. Never heard of the "Murph" watch until your post, it looks pretty cool. Too bad they're not going to sell it. Seiya seems pretty receptive to his customers, maybe he'll do it without the date window at a later point.

can you post some pics of it when you feel like it

yeah, I'll definitely post pics of it in decent natural light within the next few days. it's dark outside, it might start raining, I'm kind of drunk, and i don't have a lightbox to take decent pictures indoors.

I'm looking at buying this vintage tissot, how much should I pay for it? Would servicing be expensive?

How fast does it drain the battery?

About a year or so.

That's surprisingly not that bad.
I mean, if it's not a "10 years battery" like in all the other watches.

Thanks, I got it yesterday and so far its wearing well.

I got this partly because of hodinkee.com/articles/a-seventy-five-dollar-watch-that-looks-like-a-million-bucks

Looks okay in photos, not so great in person. Going to try again.

Need to figure out a better way to do the edges.

How do you make the loop to snug in the strap?
I always have trouble with that whenever I try to make a strap, they're usually loose as fuck.

youtu.be/6qBxG3OhqUc?t=20m1s

This guy shows it pretty well.

Can't see this being very practical

Start at 20:00.

You need to make them taper bro!

leather much better
>Seiya
whats that? a online watch shop?

tissot heritage costs about 420€
brand new guarante and without sevicing iusses, take that as a reference

looks much better than mine if you ask me

How are the internals of Meistersinger? I want to buy myself a nice gift in around 8~ months when something significant is happening for me

They taper towards the end. Do you mean taper the entire way down? Can you show me an example?

Thanks, bud.

>8~ months when something significant is happening for me

>falling for the reproduction meme

>when you get a new watch and you wear it the first time for a full day

Any regular strap does that, goes from 20mm to 18mm or 16mm usually

Nah fuck kids. My job ends (in a good way not a fired way)

They don't all use the same movements. I know the Phanero is a Sellita, which I suppose is fine. Nothing to get excited about.

THICC MOON

But really love the extremely 3 dimensional dial, so much better than just another flat one. Also the crystal does add real vintage character and the pushers feel tacticool as fuck.

Alright thanks. Is there a resource I can use to lookup the movement and then do some research on the different types

Looks like that one uses an ETA manual wind clone.

The circularis uses the same movement as some Christopher Ward watches at $6k.

How many Hertz does that watch operate at ?

3big5you

2Hz for the seconds and 8Hz (I think) for the chrono

Didn't really help, thanks though.
Guess the leather I'm using is just too soft.

>Seikos

Do you have any idea how many models Seiko has made over its history?

i'm sure it's at least a dozen

>I'm looking at buying this vintage tissot, how much should I pay for it? Would servicing be expensive?

If you have to ask us, you have no business buying vintage watches.

Before buying a vintage watch you should have done enough research on your own to be able to evaluate the originality, condition and value of particular vintage watch model for yourself.

Trying to buy vintage without having done that research is a recipe for getting scammed.

Newfag here, wondering if I've put on the dial is too big for my hand, whether the NATO strap is properly put on and whether the watch itself is too tight or not from the photos. Are there guidelines to how tight a watch should be around a wrist?

This might be a /fa/ question but is it OK to wear this with the NATO strap and rolled up striped dress shirt and black trousers for work (business casual)? Or should it only be leather or metal bands?

you wear it way too close to your hand, for one. tightness and shit is up to you. and yeah go ask /fa/ for those questions.

The strap is fine. It's on properly. However you wear a watch behind the wrist bone, not on your hand m80.

Luch one hand
Made in Belarus
Sorta homage
Under 100usd

coated pot metal, tiny old women's watch movement

How does it keep time? I like that a lot but I am also willing to spend a bit because it's for a special occasion. That being said I don't want to waste my money if the meistersinger isn't amazing

Ew.. That is one ugly speedmaster homage

After visiting multiple dealers and trying on every model, I decided to choose the Metro model from Nomos.

The deciding factor : the fucking lugs.

While I was trying them all on I couldn't quite put my finger on why the Tangente and the similar variants didn't look right.

The lugs on those shoot out straight, while the lugs on some of the other models , like the Metro, angle downward and follow the curvature of the wrist.

Makes a huge difference in how they wear.

The club, lambda and lux also looked great on my wrist. But the Metros wire lugs won out.

the club has huge lugs too doesn't it?
did you try the minimatik?
anyway post pics. i like the metro.

Meistersingers aren't amazing. They're definitely pretty good, but they get away with those prices because they have a pretty unique concept with no competition.
You'd get the same quality for less money if you went for a three hander.

Ew thats one retarded poster, who can't even recognise the other only moonwatch...

Morning Fellas

ight so "Swiss Made" is a meme.

is "Japan Made" a meme too?

Made in China.

even more of a meme

hello
jubilee bracelets are for grandpas

nice bro!
what year was that made?
i seem to be developing an interest in Omega general

Less of a meme since Japanese laws state that china shit needs to be supervised by japanese dudes

Any idea where to buy this exact watch in the UK

Article related
hodinkee.com/articles/a-seventy-five-dollar-watch-that-looks-like-a-million-bucks

For refernce the watch in question is the Seiko 5 SNKl23 with a pinstriped dial.

so, like less of a percentage of the watch's value can come from Japan, compared to Switzerland?

It's not the same criteria at all. I don't recall all of it at the moment, but I'm sure you can find them online.
But basically, a watch doesn't even have to be actually made in Japan.

>jubilee bracelets are for grandpas
And fathers (pic related)

It's from 1969, so it's now only two years from its 50th birthday (and still, in perfect condition)

Maybe. Depending on the brand and pricepoint. Right now, the three major labels "Swiss made", "made in Germany" and "made in Japan" are dealing with shady business models, mostly from lesser brands, that downgrade reputation and therefore, degrade quality and recognition.

this. you should buy the brand and not the country that's on the dial.

anyone here ever buy a watch from jomashop.com?

>the newer accutrons by bulova arent still good
gr8 b8

I asked this and got no replies. From what I've read you have to assume the warranty they give is virtually worthless.
So add the cost of a full service (plus customs into your country) to the watch and if it's still reasonably cheaper than from an authorised dealer then go for it.

Anyone ordered from WatchObsession before? I'm considering pic related from them.

watchobsession.co.uk/collections/new-in/products/hirsch-rebel-nylon-nato-style-watch-strap-in-green?variant=16913568645

that's beautiful, but why isn't it on a chain?

anyone used creationwatches before

All the online links for that exact watch are american

I swear someone asks this every fucking thread, search the archives first

New citizen arrived today its fuck hueg but very comfy vostok for scale

that chapter ring wtf

That is what made me pull the trigger on it, I find it attractive can not say why

fair enough, enjoy your big watch

>xbox hueg

>only two years from its 50th birthday
>dat condition
>mfw

Honestly, it's really quite amazing the condition you can find vintage watches is if you invest the time in finding good examples.

This is a 1971 Seiko LM Special 5206-6020 with a NOS crystal replacement.

Have any of you bought a watch that you soon came to regret buying?
Cos I'm not sealed on the snk809 and don't wanna be dissapointed

And a 1967 Seikomatic-P 5106

>tfw when your 1967 Seiko is in as good as shape.

I really need to take better pictures though.

>snk809
geez, they're only around $60.00, aren't they?

is a 1975 King Seiko Special and this pic is a 1974 Omega Speedmaster 176.0012 with the Lemania 5100 movement.

Uploaded the wrong one.

>replacement
so no original

I can see lots of scratches desu

broken bezel/ring

more scratches

I fail to see the amazing condition desu

NOS implies that the crystal is of the same make as was used originally anyway.

>I fail to see the amazing condition desu
but you excel at being a hueg douche