/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00T6XUL8S
amazon.com/Ultrasone-900i-S-Logic-Headphones-Black/dp/B0188Z2I76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484152262&sr=8-1&keywords=ultrasone pro900i
qobuz.com/GB-en/info/Hi-Res-Guide/S-M-S-L-Panda-System-the-power-of177725
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

chifiman good

My Fidelio X2s arrived today and my first impressions are great, I also have He-400is coming. Initially this was all I wanted in headphones as I have IEMs for portable use. However I think I may want to have a closed/portable headphone for portable use and not sure if 2 pairs of headphones for desktop use is justifiable as a University student. I've decided that I should either return my x2s and buy either the Modhouse argon or Meze 99, or keep the x2s and purchase a pair of Vmoda m100s for portable use as they are relatively not very expensive. Please help me as I really do not know what option to pursue.

I currently have Monoprice 8323's; they are nothing compared to my monitors so I'm looking for something better, but I also don't want to have anything be a downgrade from the 8323's either.

>Budget
$150 or under
>Location
Home
>Source
iPhone SE; sometimes computer
>Type of headphone
Over the ear
>Open or closed
Whichever
>Comfort level
Comfortable enough
>Sound signature
Accurate but not fatiguing
>Past headphones
Monoprice 8323

The Senn HD598's seem really appealing, but the one thing that worries me is all the comments that they're a little light on the bass. Can anyone here who has experience with both the Monoprices and the Senns comment on just how much less bass the 598s have compared to the 8323s?

>That horrible taste in music

its meme

Your Bob Marley SkullCandies are a meme, faggot.

>Budget
$150-$200 nzd
>Location
New Zealand
>Source
I will be using these headphones predominantly for gaming, music producing and listening to music off my PC.
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
don't care
>Comfort level
Comfy for long sessions
>Sound signature
Not too much bass, but certainly need a little there - not too fussed, just as long as they sound good
>Past headphones
shitty 10 dollars ones

Cheers, would be great if you would help a brother out.

L4 gaming ,music, movies (7.1) headphones with changeable cabel, comfy af, sound quality as high as possible

>"Location"
>"Home"

Nice.

My DT 770 PRO just broke today (no sound on right side) after it passed the 2 year warranty by 3 months.

Just looking for closed headphones now that will last for a long time.
Sub-$70 preferred. Anything on sale that fits the category?

>still to lazy to remove the dt880 from this list

>fucking slut

template and post your own

K553 pro

>Not posting Sennheiser.

bump

I'm looking for a longer headphone cable.

Needs to use 2x 2.5mm to the cups.

At least 2m long.

And I'm in Europe.

558 for open
m40x with replacement pads for closed

the day has come my comrades. after 2 and a half my mx170 have died out. the jack started to fail and i no longer have audio on the right speaker. i need to buy new ones. what are good earphones like these, not like plugs. jvc and sennheiser are priority because they lasted the longest for me. need to have good sound and comfortable for sleeping since i can't fall asleep without listening to something

What's the name of those third party earpads everyone praises?

brainwavs

just posting some of my stuff

Yeah those are the ones I think!

The earpads on these 400i are kinda shallow. Since I got such a huge head they clamp on quite hard.

pls help

just ordered totally-not-beats by sennheiser, what can i expect from them?

Can anyone explain how to find headphones with similar sound signatures?
I love my AKG 701's but I'm looking for an upgrade that has the same clean, analytical sound.
I've tried DT 990 pro's, ATH-M50X's, hd700's and even a pair of ie80's but none of them have the same clarity and detail as the AKG's (Using an gen1 Schiit stack).

I feel like the answer is in the numbers but frequency response graphs don't mean much to me and after reading too many ludicrous forum posts by self-proclaimed audiophiles (the last one claimed their amplifier sounded different after their electricity supplier swapped from coal to wind/solar) I feel like I was asking in the wrong places.

Got a new pair of headphones yesterday. Gave them a listen, sounded kinda hollow.

Let them play overnight, sound much better already.

When memes proves themselves to be legit, it feels good.

flat sound, headache, warranty claim within 3 months. and most important of all, regret

have you tried the audio technica r70x?

My friend says he wanted to buy some Sennheiser HD 569s
should I tell him to get something better or do you think it's okay for normie-tier headphones?

>Budget
Around $250 USD (roughly $350 AUD)
>Location
Australia
>Source
PC; don't have a DAC+amp, and I'd rather not have to get one
>Type of headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Enough to be comfortable for moderately long periods
>Sound signature
Doesn't matter

Oh I was looking for mr speakers alpha pads.

They look so comfy. But they also look like they will change the frequency range significantly.

Too bad I'm a filthy european.

i need a good unidirectional microphone i can attach to my headphones because my desktop mic picks up all the sound from my keyboard.

any recommendations? i was thinking this
amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00T6XUL8S

did you look at some mic tests?
modmic seems to sound pretty bad in the comparisons I've checked

yea i've noticed that just now too, seems to be shilled really hard, thats how i found it.

any alternatives?

I'd look into cheap shotgun mics, there's plenty for budget filmmaking.

can you use desk mics?

Get HD 558 for good sound stage (gaming) and relatively flat frequency response (making music)
they are certainly not to bassy but the bass they do have are good and clear.
You can easily mod them to a HD559 (google)

Repair them, all parts are "user replaceable"

>You can easily mod them to a HD559 (google)
598*

>You can easily mod them to a HD559 (google)
you mean to a 598*

I need some headphones for my Android from amazon.co.uk below 20 GB pounds to get free delivery

would prefer a working control

what should I get?

jvc or sennheiser

Is there any difference in sound quality between the Grado sr60e and sr80e?
How strong is the headband in these models?

AKG Y50 at 50€, how good of a deal is it?

>Budget
Around $70, would go 100$ if really worth
>Location
Israel (us and eu are OK to order from)
>Source
Phone
>Type of headphone
Iem
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Enough to be comfortable for moderately long periods
>Sound signature
Neutral

Su Sup Forums. Not totally headphone related but didn't want to make a new thread.

I have this old PCI sound card for my PC but now that I'm upgrading to kaby lake but seems like pretty much every manufacturer droped it everywhere but the low end models.

Is it even worth it to keep looking for a decent mobo with a PCI slot or just drop it and get anything with a decent onboard audio?

Shit, get a AKG K240 for that amount

What DAC is that?

Fill out the form, or at least give a budget and tonal preference.

why not an external dac/amp?

This Shotgun mics are incredible for not picking up keyboard/mouse sounds. I use a cheap Chinese one for my YouTube videos and it sounds pretty decent. You may need 48V phantom power though.

Get an external soundcard, or an audio interface if you need microphone inputs.

>frequency response graphs don't mean much to me
That's what you really need to learn to look and listen to multiple pairs of headphones. Being able to tie what the plots show to how it sounds like is a learned trait which can only be achieved by experience with sound signatures and knowledge of the measurements. Using an equalizer or a program like Harman's how to listen will make this learning easier and quicker.

>flat is boring meme

dt770

Stuf like Essence STX/STX II is similar or better than most of external DAC+AMP combos in the

STX II is better than most discrete units you can buy. Headphone amplifier part is a little limited but the I/O options and DA-converter performance is excellent.

My old STX (first version) still behaves like a champ, has zero white noise, crackling or anything of the sort and can drive my 600 ohm DT880s without issues. I can also plug my speakers into it and they get more than loud enough, which is a big plus to me.

Meanwhile the shit stack I bought didn't sound any better but started to exhibit sound issues just past the warranty period and Little Dot MK2 I purchased after, somehow managed to sound worse than the STX and one lamp died not even 2 after the purchase.

I sold the shit stack for scraps, returned the chinkdot and dusted that STX, gonna be using it until I save enough for real equipment or some non-meme midfi techology appears on the market.

flat is boring though if you are on the go for example.

i just got myself some parrot zik 2 headphones and the added sound enhancements just make it so much more fun than my magnetostats.

of course it can't beat the detail, articulation and speed but damn it sounds like a concert

Yeah I mentioned STX II specifically because it's kind of extremely good for the price no matter what you compare it to.

No it means the music you listen is boring.

>detail
Well that is part of the response and relates to the flatness quite well.
>articulation
Fluff term.
>speed
Zik could very well be better at that. Not that it matters which one is. Fluff term aswell as most people use it to describe things which has nothing to do with speed.

Those kinds of hyperbolic expectations are totally unrealistic, the sort of thing only someone without a clue would say.
As for sound signature, which seems like such a simple concept to find totally incomprehensible:
HD202 - W-shape
V6/7506 and M40x - mild V-shape, some bass boost, low mid cancellation, treble spikes
HM5/XPT100 - generally sloped-off response, some bass boost

SHP9500 - would be somewhat even if not for the substantial low frequency rolloff
518 and 558 - boosted upper bass/lower mid, somewhat recessed upper mid/treble

Bass response on closed headphones may vary significantly.

>your music is boring

it's called taste user, i hope you figured by now that it differs per person

i don't know why you criticise my description words. did it trigger your autism?

if so i'm sorry

about the Zik. yeah but for 120€ as good as new, i'm really surprised by how much detail it spits out. it has more details than the akg k712 pro i previously owned. probably due to the enhancing algorythms which of course make them sound artifical but it simply works

Not him but if you claim that the FR that keeps all the instruments at the same volume is worse than one that enhance one part it means that what you are listen to truly bores you, you might need better samples like 320k mp3 too

SMSL Panda stack or JDS Element?
Will be using with AKG K712poo.
Anyone have experience with SMSL products?

also, a 16v adapter will work fine in the UK, right?
If i get the Element it will be from a german website, it's not going to explode when i put it into a bongland power socket is it?

a frequency reponse alone doesn't keep instruments at a realistic space.
a drumkit can sound close or distant depending on how the headphone is built.

ultrasone headphones for example use a special buildup for a native soundstage enhancement even on a closed back design which i really prefer on a mobile setup.

amazon.com/Ultrasone-900i-S-Logic-Headphones-Black/dp/B0188Z2I76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484152262&sr=8-1&keywords=ultrasone pro900i

i'm a hobby music producer so i know some shit about frequencies and properly equalise them on my output devices to make them sound natural on my ears by what is possible.

i listen to Haywyre, Just A Gent, Noisia, B-Motion from my own CD rips

Why does my 400i sound so.. it's like I'm in a can, and I can't tell if the different instruments are more prominent on one side than the other.

Everything seems to be slightly shifted towards the left.
Soundstage seems tilted.

Faulty pair?

>a frequency reponse alone doesn't keep instruments at a realistic space.
>properly equalise them on my output devices to make them sound natural on my ears by what is possible

I can agree with this, not everyone has equal hearing and hearing age, isn´t very hard to make sure that everyone is going to listen the same thing that you produce, in all honesty i haven´t use that many headphones, right now i´m buying basic under 300 usd ones

Probably. Hifiman quality control for you.

either one of your ear has a hearing damage, your eardrum pressure level is uneven, or your product is faulty.

try some sneezing aor pressure evening methods maybe, or stretch out your jawbone

What happens when you flip the headphones around?

I thought I had a channel imbalance, but it was just hearing damage...

After further testing, with my D2000, it seems to be the source. Flipping them around, changing between the two, the same issue remains.

I'm awaiting another amp to compare the two headphones, but the D2000 sounds overall much better than the 400i.

I really hope it presents itself better in a few days.

>did it trigger your autism?
Kind of as there are terms which are used to describe sound and terms which are used on a whim without any kind of definition of what they are. These are terms which change their meaning from one person to the next. Worse yet is when you use a term which does actually have a definition in describing sound signature(warm), perception(transparency) or what is happening physically(speed) and use it wrong to describe something it doesn't have a definition for. It's confusing and nobody actually knows what you are talking about.

>320k mp3
Not only is that extremely vague, it has a very different effect on the sound than frequency magnitude assuming it has any effect at all(transparency).

>a frequency reponse alone doesn't keep instruments at a realistic space
What is this space?
>a drumkit can sound close or distant depending on how the headphone is built.
Vast majority of this is related the the FR.

thanks.
thanks again, you said you will write something up by this thread about how to describe audio in a more quantitative fashion.

i'm doing some very sensitive testing here with my 400i compared to my 558 and it seems to be fucking fine

In-ear headphone recs for >$150?
Currently using Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear and enjoy them. I also have a pair of cx500 that i dont think sound as good, but its probably because I bought them froma guy in Hong Kong and their counterfeit.

Am I going to have to return these for a new pair..?

I got 2 weeks to play around anyway.

Fuck! There a pair of Audeze lcd2's on headfi for 575. I'm so tempted. I've never seen them that cheep before.

>frequency reponse alone
You don't grasp what the entire frequency response is, only a portion of it. Unfortunately, most audio folks don't know what a frequency response is supposed to be either.

>special buildup
Driver aimed away from canal entrance, meant to maximize pinna interference. That's what the ad copy claims, anyway. Of course the frequency response can describe that.

bumping this post
someone help me figure out smsl
i see their stuff getting good reviews from reputable sources like qobuz.com/GB-en/info/Hi-Res-Guide/S-M-S-L-Panda-System-the-power-of177725 and other reviewers but i go over to reddit and the schiit fangirls are absoutely bashing everything and anything made by SMSL.
What to believe?

They were $500 during black friday, b stock straight from Audeze. But that's still a good price.

I plan on buying the beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium (250 Ω). They cost around 150 (Euro) here. I want to buy the FiiO E10K Olympus 2 as a DAC but it is out of stock everywhere. Any suggestions on another reasonable (~80 Euro) DAC as an alternative?

wow, I wish i'd have jumped on that!

> FiiO E10K Olympus 2
>250 ohms
what are you doing

No one online talks about them for a reason. I'm trying to sell mine right now. I wonder if I can get $50.

The brand is good and cheap, the m3, m6 and amps are reccomended

HD600 vs SRH1540 vs SRH1840?

> Beats are one of the few headphones that include a no-bullshit 3,5mm on both sides replaceable cable
> It's the only part that isn't glued in and designed to break if you try to remove it
What the fuck is this? every other brand uses some meme connector that you can't get in your local electronics store for a dollar.
Why did Monster/Apple get this right and nobody else followed suit?

Just spunked in the mesh of my roommates HD600's after fapping to his gf's Facebook, that's what you get for breaking my phone while you were drunk you retarded asshole.

The oppo ha-2 really brought these 400i to life.

They are surprisingly tough to drive, but the amp is also contemplating the flaws of the 400i.

what DAC or amp should I get for my DT 770 PRO 80 ohms

none

Would be very hesitant in giving any money to Hifiman when you see the bullshit you're funding, like this new Edition 6

Check with other 2 headphones

I have some amazon giftcards from christmas left, is it worth buying a cheap DAC?

What are YOU doing?

Anyone?

Why the fuck would you base your purchasing decision on what other product they are developing. Unless the edition 6 needs orphan blood then you're a fuckwit.

Why would you willingly put money in Fang's pocket when their products are garbage and the only things being upgraded in their products are the prices?

400i is the best headphone in its budget or double its budget if you want neutral