How do you maintain your laptop battery?

How do you maintain your laptop battery?

Keep it on the charger when I'm not using it.
The less you cycle it the better.

I don't

Let the battery die
Then charge to 100 %

My MacBook lasts so long on a charge I don't really care. It's almost a year old and has like 40 charge cycles on it. I just shitpost and browse the web so it hardly dies lately.

Just typically charge it when it hits around 30 or 40 percent then use it off charger.

>2017
>people still think ni-cad is the norm
kill yourself

WHICH ONE IS IT

This literally keeps it active as it charges to the max and let's go of some power

Don't do this, my brother's blown the shit out of two laptop batteries into 1h battery life doing this

Fucking hell. This board truly is infested with third-world poorfags using tech from 2004.

If its thinkpad I use software to do the shit for me.
If its anything else, like my current fav laptop (hp elitebook 8470p) I usually use it whenever I can without one, but if its days without charging/discharging I try to spend some time doing so.

Take out battery, disable onboard, use mains. I do that with my thinkpad when I'm at home. Aside from that I usually buy a new 9 cell ever other year

The firmware does it for me.

I leave it plugged in and on 24/7 for years.

>being this autistic
I just use it and not waste precious time worrying about the optimal usage pattern to eke out another 10% of its life. By the time a modern battery degrades any noticeable amount under any reasonable use, it's time for a new machine anyway.

this, I do absolutely nothing to maintain it at all

Take it out every few days and blow on the connector. It's like an NES game

This. No need. May as well buy a new laptop by the time the battery dies.

I use my laptop with battery disconnected, and plugged in with ac, connected to a monitor and a wireless kb and mouse

my "battlestation" can be moved easily

>being this dumb
Stop spreading fud, you cunt

The proper way is to have it charge at 50-60% when storred outside of the laptop. Inside wont matter if you use it sometimes so it's charge goes up and down. Leaving it at 100% and 0% slowly kills it. Letting it heat up kills it faster too. Go read about li-ion batteries at battery academy com please.

It differs between different batteries.

>he uses a laptop

>he exist

>Posts smug snail

This, and don't use quick chargers.

I just use it until its runtime noticeable drops. Then I buy a new one for $30-something.

You don't

You use it like you normally would want to, and then replace the battery when it goes to shit

Keep percentage between 40 and 80%.
Keep it cool (at room temperature).
Unplug it from the laptop when it reaches 80% (dispays as 79% sometimes) when you have the laptop plugged in.
When storing for long-term, bring it down to 50-60% and then unplug it completely (from laptop and cords).
That's pretty much it; also use TLP in Linux.

All this folk-lore.
Not at all based in reality.

How so? This is what battery engineers recommend for Li-Ion batteries.

My 12 inch MacBook with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

Stay on A/C and run it down fully and charge it back up once a month.

>Had laptop for 4 years
>Use it for anywhere from 1-25 hours every week
>Laptop battery life is only around 40 minutes less than when it first came out of the box

I just use it. If I know I'll be leaving, I charge it to full, or as close to full before hand. I typically start charging it around 15-20% and let it charge to full. Sometimes I unplug it at full, sometimes I leave it plugged in over night. You're all investing time into a meme thread.

>99 problems
>But hey, at least this isn't one!

From my two years experience with my last laptop, following the manufacturer instructions, using battery every week, doing a complete cycle every 3 or 5 days and not a noticeable drop on battery time.

And this is how I do it:

>I try to do a complete cycle every time I use the battery (Normally every 3 or 5 days). When I come home with 50% for instance, I keep using it on the battery at home until is empty.

>I keep it cool. This is, when I'm doing heavy processing stuff, I unplug the battery out first.

>I set the OS (windows) power management to power saving mode and set the screen brightness to low when using the battery alone. I try not to force the battery into drawing too much current.

>When not using the battery for a long time, I keep it unplugged with a 70%-80% charge in place at room temperature and do as following:

>When using it from week to week or more I make sure to perform a complete cycle every week. Two weeks max.

It started lasting for +8 hours when new.
Two years later of regular use it last for 7 to 8 hours.
I do this in my two years smartphone as well and it doesn't show a noticeable drop in capacity either, my be just one or two hours.

I don't know if this is the correct way but is doing the job better than fine.

>plugged in 100% of the time
>battery discharges to 98% due to self-discharge
>laptop forces more voltage into the battery to get to 100%
>battery slowly being overcharged

Enjoy your bloated battery in about a year.

I like to drain it completely, then soak it in anodized water for a few hours.

Let it dry completely before you recharge it.

>he doesn't use both a laptop and a desktop

This. My ChromeBook doesn't have a removable battery but it still holds out great for a few hours and much longer than my t420i any fucking day.

I buy a new macbook
I'm not poor

no, this was the case with older batteries, but is not the case with the newer lithium ion batteries.

Best practices for lithium Ion are to charge them when they get to 70%. just keep it topped off and don't let them get super hot, that's really all you can do to try to keep them healthy.

I dutifully maintain my batteries. Every night for the last 13 years I will

>discharge to 40%
>shutdown laptop
>remove the battery
>warp the battery in plastic
>insert into a magnum condom
>lubricate liberally with silicone based grease
>place in freezer
>go to bed and let sit overnight
>unwrap and allow to come to room temperature
>insert into laptop
>used like normal

oh shit, what are you doing, you need to put silica gel packets with the battery before you wrap it, you could still be trapping moisture in there.

Fuck. Just pretend that's a line of greentext in my post.

Thinkpad doesn't have this problem.

Charging threshold to charge when under 40% to 80%.

Buy x200
Battery dies after 400 cycles
Buy new battery
Use old battery for projects (18650s)

What's the best way to extend the lifespan of lithium-polymer batteries?

see

>proprietary software that runs only on botnet os

>t. mactoddler

should I not leave my t420 charging overnight?

>works for me

if you don't have a maximum of 80% set, either through Windows software or tp-smapi/whatever the newer one is, you should not be doing that.