/guts/

Mismatched parts edition. I just got an old HP and I like the case so I'm going to try moving my build into it after this post.

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709037
youtube.com/watch?v=vJj0DmX2mqU
youtube.com/watch?v=wrfBAGYbtgI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That's such a classic build technique, gutting a prebuild and using the case and whatever salvageable parts are inside. I did it for years...

main build

1/5 current builds that will POST, 4 bootable currently.

need a new camera

As clean as I'm gonna get it with a non-modular and a HAF912.

LAN party build

Win 10. Really need to get that rear end some ventilation. Though I ran P95 and Furmark for a good 30 minutes and it didn't...Appear..To overheat.

confirmed: cooling a meme

2/5 POSTable builds

first build as it was in 08 save for some fans, new PSU and drive.
Win 7 pro X64

I put way WAY more time and money into rebuilding this thing than was wise.

3/5 POSTables.

The FT05 isn't the best when it comes to cable management.

literal random hodgepodge of parts that somehow POSTs and I could probably install an OS on. Also fucking loud.

>Raidmax case can't remember name
>Some meh tier Athlon from like 09 with bent pins and thermal grease all over it
>Random Gigabyte board with onboard video that doesn't work, though could be CPU
>cooler from a Vishera 8350
>ATI Radeon 6450
>floppy drive that //may// just sit there and make noise, or may work.
>shitty USB card reader
>shitty DVD drive
>2x WD 40GB IDE drives
>250GB Seagate SATA
>red, green, and blue 80mm fans. Not RGB. Just all three of those colors
>450W chromed PSU with 3 blue LED fans and a side window for some reason, but I really like it
>that shrinkwrapped side panel fan
>loud as fuck
>front LEDs that don't work

I traded it from my friend for, I think I ended up buying him a shitty Corsair case for the entire build sans the GPU and drives and that one odd green fan. I think I came out ahead. What a total shit box. Original plans were to install a fuckload of different OSes on it and just USB boot or whatever different linux distros and stick Vista on the 250 and XP on one of the 40s.

Sup Forums how shit is this build out of 10 10 being shit and 1 being god tier

4/5 that will POST.

JESUS CHRIST WHAT IS THAT GPU COOLER

and then an HP barebones I'm restoring for some reason.

Friend gave me a pair of them in like 2010 or so and it was 5 years old then. Said I could try to fix it if I want or take both PCs and try to make a good one yeah whatever I don't care basically just trying to get rid of it. Literally did not touch them until yesterday when I decided to boot this guy up and it went straight into XP then BSOD, bad RAM stick. Plopped in 3GB of DDR2 I had lying around and replaced all 3 DIMMs from 2GB. New CMOS battery, new thermal grease, dusted out, wiped the drive and reinstalled XP and drivers, flashed up the BIOS to the 2009 revision and we're good to go. Working on getting updates. Also it's a P4 machine, I got a brand new Pentium D 945 coming in the mail I got off of Ebay for a few bucks (literally a few) to upgrade the P4 630. Tried a Core 2 Duo but HP's BIOS doesn't support that CPU so I'm stuck with the 945 when it gets here.

fuck why am I even bothering with this damn thing. I have a really nice shitty PC now.

5/5 boots into XP just not done yet.

then all my shit boxes and my battleshitston

The HAF isn't where to go if you want A E S T H E T I C cable management, but it stills manages, and you can't beat the airflow and size for the price, shit's chilly as fuck ever since I grabbed two 200mm fans

selling both 1070s when the 1080ti comes out

Prolimatech Mk 26 w/ noctua fans

That's a 340s right?

How do you think it would be for two 1080s if there's an AIO fitted?

>March
Waitfaggots get cucked

Here's my build. Temps are fine, but you're gonna want good fans. With furmark running they don't go past 65c.

Can anyone here recommend ML120 fans for my h100i v2

Just looking for some quiet

#Teamred
#vega
#Ryzen

;^)

Holy fuck that mushroom dude cute af homie

Be quiet or Noctua then. The ML's spin very fast and are loud as a result unless you control them.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709037

Fuck I wish I knew about this case when I was choosing my mini build

None of you faggots replied in /pcbg/ for suggestions

I like you user. Don't change :)

This is a mid tower case though :o

Every once in a while I wish my 2500k could die so I can justify a sidegrade for a 4690k/z97 combo or even the full upgrade 6600k/z170/DDR4.

Still that thing is a beast and never failed me for my light gaming habit and shitposting

what did you had before the 6600k?
any word on the upgrade ?
thanks

Speaking of mismatched parts

It's a dam tiny one

I'm just mad because my Corsair shit sucks

Yeah it's pretty compact, just thought I'd make it clear you know? What corsair case do you have?

Matched parts but badly painted amiibo edition !
There used to be a Predator 360 in there. It will be back in February once I replace the tubes and get my 4690k delidded.

Oh and

OP here. After taking apart the ancient HP and my computer I realized that the backplate for the motherboard on the HP is part of the case, like it doesn't pop out. Kind of a let down because it would have been a much better fit for my mobo. Oh well, doing a full rebuild in two months. New mobo, case, cooling, maybe gpu, maybe ram because i want dat 4266mhz.
extremely arousing
Amiibos are a good idea. I wanted a little figure to put in my computer but I don't actually watch anime so I didn't know what to use. Also I like your stacked HDD bays, aesthetic.
Every time I see that fucking GPU i cringe at the though of how much nicer it is than my 1060. Pic related is the fucking heatsink that was on my $250 gpu. That's actually it. A fan goes on top.
I mean a 7700k at 4.9-5.1ghz and some good ddr4 would be a huge upgrade. Not needed for like 60fps games though, only 144/240hz is gonna be cpu bound on a 2500k. I like the blue.
cable management GOD
glowing RADEON makes my eggplant hard
i wish the us had gainward :( buy red fans for your cpu cooler.
solid proof that you're not 14. is that a TV or a monitor behind your cases? its massive
if i was your friend i'd give you my spare mobo, i3 6100, and gtx 760. you def. out did me with the whole mismatched thing, fuck
dat vga cooling. Is it significantly better than stock?
Better pic of gpu please

>Amiibos are a good idea. I wanted a little figure to put in my computer but I don't actually watch anime so I didn't know what to use. Also I like your stacked HDD bays, aesthetic.
Yarn Yoshi is the best amiibo, but the matching pair is neat too. Shame about Zelda's shoddy paintjob, though.

I used to have the HDD cages stacked on top of each other, but this resulted in >>a lot

Why don't you move her over so her head is holding up the GPU to stop it from sagging so badly?

She's not quite tall enough for that.
Also she usually has a place on my desk along with the others anyway.

460x

Fell for the tempered meme

So same size shit anyway I guess but the cable management is awful with SSD cages in the back

In terms of sheer performance no. I get around the same temps in more demanding titles, like The Witcher 3 but in less demanding titles I haven't seen it go above 75°C and this is @1440p. The real benefit comes from the noise reduction and as I'm a bit of a quiet freak this was a big factor for me. For lower temps aio cooling is the way to go.

Oh those are in an awkward spot, this case puts the ssds in the back as well but I don't think the get in the way too much.

Well with this "finfet wall" or whatever it is that keeps pascal at 2150mhz with next to no scaling past that even with hard-modded cards there isn't much fun to be had with cooling solutions. I "installed" an AIO on my 1060, that is wedged it onto the chip, and it was dead silent at 50c at 2150mhz. Tons of thermal headroom, but if it went 1mhz higher it crashed instantly. This isn't unique to my card either, every single gtx except possibly the Galax HOF 1060 exhibits this behavior. Someone hooked up an EVGA e-power to a 1060 so he could use whatever voltage he wanted, put it under water, and got to... 2200mhz. lol. So when I do my rebuild I'm considering going with air on the cheapest 1070 I can find. Won't have to worry about pumps burning out and it makes no difference for OC.
I was just curious about your cooler specifically because it looks really unique but not all that better than most partner cards. I can imagine that the noctua's are WAY quieter than those fucking jet engine dc fans on gpus.

Ok well for pascal it might be good as they do run noticeably cooler already. I have a 980ti and this keeps it in check but as I said, it depends on the title. Witcher 3 all the way up to 84°C compared to say under 70°C in GTA 5. Also I'm not 100% on this but I think the orientation of my case hurts performance a bit, it might do better in a standard layout. I want to see what it will do in a generation or two when cards get even more efficient.

soon to be old guts

so much empty space, it hurts.
Also your picture is inverted?
>1000w
I love that case even though it's big for ITX
breddy good
I like it.
SSD placement is awesome
I fucking love aftermarket GPU cooling
10/10
good god
is that PSU fucking chrome?
Beefy heatsink hnn
Those cards are fucking sexy
Black series K2-SO?
Worth it?
>double trips
cables remind me of muscle
I know that feel
I'm pretty close to selling my 3570k/p8z77I deluxe/ ram to offset the cost of 6700T/Z270/ ddr4
Sapphire makes pretty stuff
tonsofemptyspace/10
Looks like the exact same cooler my 750ti had.
I think bequiet! makes my favorite CPU coolers
I wish they made something with the same aesthetic as the dark rock pro that was under 145mm tall.

OP here. Yes, the picture is upside down. Case used to housse a 2500k/6950 build that fit it better. Didn't feel like wasting money on a new case yet. I will soon.

You mean Toad? He's in my other build bru
Wasn't planning on it, my hobbies are PC building and cars and some other small stuff. I got enough parts for like 3 other systems and an iMac color I haven't touched since I bought it from my friend for 25 bucks in highschool. Should really reload the OS on that shit. :)
>solid proof that you're not 14.
yes I'm 23 i hope I don't seem 14 lol. Still live at home but whatever.
>is that a TV or a monitor?
Two monitors. One is a vertical ASUS 24" 1080p 60Hz which was upgraded to the main one which is an ASUS 27" 144Hz 1440p Freesync boyo. MG278Q. Both on arms that I'm not super happy with. Need a new desk and chair too, that's why my cable management sucks because I'm planning on upgrading soon. It was the only monitor I could find with those specs that wasn't shitty looking. Yes it's TN but it's a good TN, 1ms response time too over the other Asus' 2ms. Figured if I'm going to upgrade I might as well upgrade. Now I'm pretty much limited by my 8350. Zen can't come soon enough. But the 8350 will make a great server CPU with all dem coars.
>fuck
Don't give me too much credit there's no OS on any of that shit on that PC. I have literally no idea what the fuck to do with it.
>1000w
Was buying my next build in pieces. Was planning on a dual 490 Vega and Zen build (hence the massive cooler on a non-overclocked 8350 and the dual card capable GPU bolster) I did HAVE the 8350 clocked up to 4.5 stable but I dialed it back cause the pre-post shit when running overclocked is weird on Gigabyte boards and I didn't want to start/stop all my drives twice every time I turn on the PC.
>SSD placement is awesome
Literally no other good place to put it tbqh There's a 1TB black hiding buried under the top.."attic?" part for main storage. A 600W Silverstone SFX powers the rig. Really need some better cooling but I don't want to tear up the original case.

>is that PSU fucking chrome?
Also yes, it is.
Only 450W and I don't know if I've heard of the maker (forget what it is right now) they printed the fucking spec label on top of the PSU and there are THREE damn fans in the fucker. All blue LED and there's a blue side panel window to the PSU.
It's kind of shit but at the same time I think it might be one of my favorite PC components I have.
If you couldn't tell I have a huge hard on for like 07-10 super gaudy "Side panel windows are still novel" era hardware.

>Better pic of gpu please
290 at 1350mhz

I see, it's the brace that was throwing me off. I'm about to order one of those nzxt braces. Water cooling is the way to go for gpus.

Nice case. Really like the 904. Feel like you could put a "RADEON" logo on the front instead of InWin and people would probably believe it.
Breddy gud for what you got in it, obvious care was taken.
I actually like the Noctua colors in this specific build. Nice.
nice waifu
I like yours every time no matter what everyone else says. It's well done.
HOH
Breddy gud bru
R9 Fury is it?
Agree with other user saying the cable looks like muscle, at least the stuff coming out of the GPU. I actually stared at the backside more than the main part
Very clean. Nice.
Hello patrician/family heirloom tier GPU friend
largest yea boy ever but I bet that fucking water loop actually works and was cheaper than the boutique stuff thats out there now
o no dat GPU sag I know technically its nothing to worry about but hoh
I do really love the looks of the dark rock (if that's what that actually is) BeQuiet really makes some good looking coolers.
Jelly of this compact build hng

Last pic is pretty old. This is just quick and dirty

just finished cleaning her up.

What's should i be looking for in a new MoBo? Multiple USB3.1 Gen 2 ports, M.2 ports, PCI-E 3.0, what else?

You forgot to mention use case. Some of the asrock boards can OC locked kaby like chips. Turning the i3 7100 into the $200 i3, the i5 7400 into the 7600k, etc. Outside of connectivity the main differences are CPu and memory overclock potential, and aesthetics like the RGB LED header and shit. If you don't have an external DAC then onboard audio might be a concern.

make sure that it actually is ATX standard size. I know lots of motherboard manufacturers make them shorter, thus bending extremely easy when connecting the 24pin cord because there is no motherboard stand-off at the edge.

Take a look at my motherboard here, it was listed as ATX but it's almost an inch shorter.

>fuckhuge tower
>itx

I win...

Fug :DDD

you must be gnu here

>mama, no entiendes. necesito un torre llena

why is it outside?

that pump placement irks me

is that a Hyper TX3 Evo ?
I have the same. Works pretty work well, desu ?
I literally got mine for half the price of the 212.

Yeah. It works alright, managing 4.6 GHz at... Not particularly impressive temps, but it chugs along acceptably.
It's pretty good for its size, but I can hardly wait to get my Predator 360 back in the system.

I'll take a better picture when I have a little more pride in my parts.

are you me from the future?

First build, 1070 is an amazing upgrade from my old laptop with 765m

What temps and OC are you getting with that 212? Is it loud?

nice case

weeabo/10

good looking build

thats a lot of computers

how much disk space is that in total? great cable management

happy with the nitro? wanted to get it but ultimately bit the bullet and got the 1070

ppl keep putting figurines into their cases why

reservoir of pisa

here are my guts

>ppl keep putting figurines into their cases why
Just for the picture and so you can ask why, really.

Im okay with that

I'll be building my third computer this year, and I have some burning questions.

While I have improved on cable management I see these gorgeous builds here and just can't figure out how people do it.

Are there guides? I'm going modular to keep my PSU clean, but what about things like those bastard tiny case attachment pins (so the case buttons work)? Or where can I hide cables best?

need to get some nice white atx cables

definitely go for a case with a basement

An Msi armor with gpu sag?

I have been using the same FT02 case for almost 8 years now, its the best.

yep

You poor thing

Going to transplant this all into an Nzxt s340 soon. Can't decide on White or Black/Red chasis. Probably white.
Also are custom cables worth?

very nice looking. Do you have any front intake fans though? I highly recommend installing one or two, given the convenient mounting points you have there. Also shame about the gpu sag. I imagine it's probably the motherboard and not the gpu.

r8 & h8 ;)

Modular PSU.
Cable Management oriented case.
Having sleeved cable is usually easier to work with instead of the default rubber.
Cable comb/velcro/zip tie
Time and patience
As for the power button cable use a sharpie or even some tape to make them look black.
You can look at my guts
Bottom right you can easily see that mine are taped

youtube.com/watch?v=vJj0DmX2mqU

youtube.com/watch?v=wrfBAGYbtgI

Sorry to jump on your thread, but it's close to topic, and I really need help, and google isn't helping

>that one intake fan on the bottom
Why?

oops meant for and My big thing is to just always make as much use of the routing holes as possible, use lots of tiedowns (twist ties > zip ties if you are like me and suck at it) PLAN OUT where you are going to put the cables instead of just doing it. My build is which isn't perfect, but I'm a blithering idiot and can make it look half decent.
Also some cases just don't have good cable management potential and you kind of just have to jurry rig something that werks.

I don't really know what the problem is but dang, your system is old as FUCK.
If the problem is probably the graphics card, try a different graphics card to see if it works? If you take it to a local PC repair shop they may just let you use one to test boot. I did that once. That's as much as i'm willing to help because Sup Forums isn't your personal tech support.

ever try reversing your fan intakes/outake?
something doesn't sit right with me when using warm case exhaust air as a means to cool your rad
even with 2-4 intake fans your nb/sb, vrms, ram, the socket/cpu itself, gpu, drives, will be warming the ambient case temp pretty hard

There's 3 intake fans. The 2 on the front are hidden by the chassis.

I was concerned about heat stagnating @ the bottom, so I added that intake.

Just taking it for a walk.

seems fine desu. I wouldnt want all those hard drives getting hot. Wtf is up with those video cards though?
Also what's the purpose of this machine? Im going to assume video editing because beefy cpu cooler + many hard drives and wimpy gpu's.

>Wtf is up with those video cards though?

The 950 on top is purely for the host OS.

The bottom is a 970, which is a dual-purpose CUDA grinder / 3D VM passthrough card. The host OS runs Linux.

>Also what's the purpose of this machine? Im going to assume video editing because beefy cpu cooler + many hard drives and wimpy gpu's.

It's my home workstation. I use lots of concurrent VMs & need to rebuild software regularly, so I use a 6800K @ 4.6GHz w/ 64G of RAM.

The HDDs are in RAID10 & are multi-purpose; They house my VMs, archived media, and I also process some business data here before archiving it to The Cloud™.

The CPU cooler is because I was planning on overclocking it from the start. Call me old fashioned, but I don't like getting water near my $3k box.

I have a Best Buy $25 gift card, should I get the Corsair 400c for $69? I currently have an Antec three hundred two and it looks ugly. How much can I sell my Antec case for?

I've seen some antec 300 cases go for $25 off craigslist

inb4
>wut

Ok. I'll bite.

Why do you have a 1.2KW PSU on a computer which won't pull more than 350W from the wall during peak load?

Shitty picture because too lazy to move it to another room with better lighting.