Why doesnt the R9 390/X get included in benchmarks anymore

why doesnt the R9 390/X get included in benchmarks anymore

Because it outperforms the 980 now

Which is actually really fuckin embarrassing

shit, really? i got a free xfx r9 390 and wanted to know if it was so shit they didnt include it in benchmarks anymore

Depends on the game.
It basically on par with a 980.

But the 980 is power efficient and not a housefire

Because it's essentially the same performance as a 480. Like, within 5%

It's technically superceded by the RX480.

to be honest i think the house fire is a meme, and the power efficiency doesnt really matter unless you live in a 3rd world country where electricy costs a limb, at which point you shouldnt really be buying or playing videogames

yes because when I think about power efficiency and saving on my electric bill I don't think about my 1900W refrigerator, my 2200W air conditioner, my 900W washing machine, my 1500W vacuum cleaner

I think about the 200W 980 vs the 250W 390

fucking retard alert

Why? Isn't the 390x a more powerful card?

I have a sapphire R9 390 that I bought in 2015. Did I fuck up?

not at all actually, the card will be good for years to come in 1080p and it does quite well in 1440p too

No, it's older

I didn't ask if it was older

I'm pretty sure a 429.99 MSRP card should be more powerful then a 239.99 MSRP card when all that separates them in time is less than 8 months.

Is the 390 equal to the 290x in terms of performance?

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES does not outperform the GTX 980 at all

It's not.

fuck off shill go play with your 3.5 gb or something

Yes if you OC the 390. Might be 2-3 fps slower give or take. Maybe the same. Maybe I have no fucking idea what I'm talking about either. So maybe just fuck off.

So AMD is confirmed gimping then?

no, the higher MSRP is because the R9 390 has 8 gigs of vram while the rx480 has 4

are you high

>But the 980 is power efficient and not a housefire

It only uses around 30W more in games, and it isn't a housefire unless you are a retard who uses reference coolers.

What about 290x and 390x?

the X version offers 100 mhz overclock and thats not even counting the after market cards which usually have some factory OC that comes closer to the X model

this, PE is basically just so that you know:
what psu you can get, and\
if you go more PE, can you save

It matters in the sense that you have to evacuate all the heat it produces from your case unless you're one of those fags who runs an open bench. And believe me even a 220W GTX 980 takes a lot of airflow to keep cool. The 390X is just a monster.

If I had one of those, I would have to severely underclock it. Either that or install some delta screamers.

So I'm pretty set with my 290x for a while?

I think you forgot where the housefire meme started nvidiot shill

AMD didn't have to copy it.

yea pretty much, the card still does and will do great in 1080p for a long time

Dawg pls. I'm still running two GTX 980s in SLI that I bought when they first came out and one will still make my room hot. A 20-30 watt difference isn't much when it comes to the grand scheme of things.

I also had a GTX 480 SLI setup back in the Fermi house fire days as well. Those were the true house fire days on Sup Forums.

i have an overclocked r9 390 to 1100(which is about the r9 390x clock)
i have 2 fans in the front and 1 in the back i havent had any house fires so far

Yea well, do you actually have high performance fans and high room temperatures? Because I have the latter and not the former. The fastest fan in my computer goes at like 600 RPM.

>And believe me even a 220W GTX 980 takes a lot of airflow to keep cool. The 390X is just a monster.
As someone with a 200w GPU, you're so full of shit it's leaking out your eyes.

i got it at the end of the summer so i couldnt test the high room temps but man its fuckin winter in eastern europe my room is 17C at the moment and im not sure about the high performance fans though

When will be the time to upgrade to 4k with a card that will run 4k well?

I know how hot the exhaust air from my PC gets when I put it under full load. You're not going to convince me that just because you are talking out of your ass here, it's going to change reality.

During winter I got no problem. The room temp is low and cooling efficiency is high. I could probably get away with even a R9 390X. It's not really a problem during summer either, but I'm riding a pretty high temp under load when room temps can get as high as 30C. I think that was with my old processor though. Which was 95W. My new processor is only 72W.

well that depends on you really, i would change my gpu whenever it stops performing good which for me means less than 60-65 fps on medium

>And believe me even a 220W GTX 980 takes a lot of airflow to keep cool

Horse shit. I have a Define R4 with all the vent covers on and three case fans undervolted to 5V (two front intakes, one rear exhaust). I've had such 250W housefires as the 280X, 290X, 780 Ti and 980 Ti in it (multiple models of each in fact, since I'm an autist who can't ever be happy with what he's got), and have never once had a problem with temperatures with any of them.

Airflow is in no way hard if you don't live in some dusty shithole and didn't fall for the ITX meme.

AMD cards are made to endure high temps and as long as you dont do 24/7 on full load it will take it for years and years

My computer is not ITX, but it has about half the space of a Define R4 inside, mATX form factor and 5 hard drives.

>AMD cards are made to endure high temps and as long as you dont do 24/7 on full load it will take it for years and years

I have a 6950 that is unlocked to 6970 and is overclocked, I ran it 24/7 during the bitcoin crazy with the stock cooler and then an aftermarket one, on max load for over a year.

Bought it on launch day, and the card is STILL working perfect. The only precaution I take is turning up the fans when I'm playing modern games that push the card, or don't have functional frame limiters.

>I know how hot the exhaust air from my PC gets when I put it under full load.
Holy fuck you're a retard. The hotter the air is that comes out of your PC, the more efficient your cooling system is. You're one of those idiots that thinks watercooling your PC will make your room not heat up aren't you?

sure but a lot of times it depends on the card

How does that follow? No, the problem with hot air coming out of my PC is that it indicates high temperature of the air inside my case. Which is also reflected by peripheral temperatures. Such as HDDs at 40C

I don't want the internal temperature to be high. High ambient temperature lowers cooling efficiency.

>390/x
>4k
really makes you think

well it gets a "you tried" award in 4K

The 390 has more processors but the 480 has higher clock and is more advanced. They are usually within 5 fps in benchmarks while the 390X/290X are right up there with it.

I have an HD4870 that started artifacting a week after MSI's warranty was up.

But it only artifacts when I turn it on, until the driver crashes, then the driver automatically reboots, and the card runs perfectly till I turn the computer off again.

I blame the early GDDR5 chips for that, the rest of the card is a fuckin tank mang. I figure when the drivers reboot it figures out not to use the bad memory sector or something.

>using an open air cooler so you can melt all your neighboring pc components instead of the reference design so you only melt the shitty GPU

retard alert

its shit

AMD cuck.

I replaced it with a 660 Ti a bit after, but I keep it as a backup card.

660 Ti failed a year in, sent back in, got a 7950 when they were clearing stock for cheap before the 290X came out and the bitcoin price rise happened. Cards before the 4870 were: 8600 GT, 9500 (used the 9700 trick), Voodoo2, and Imagine 128 II

Currently waiting to see how Vega 10 turns out, may buy, may hold off. Alot of shit still runs just fine on my 7950. I've only got a 1920x1200 screen currently.

Forgive me if I am way off base here, but maybe don't overclock them.

Never overclocked the 660 Ti, back then I still had a 1680x1050 screen so it ran practically everything on high anyways.

So if I can get an r9 390x for $200 should I just got for that over the rx480 4gb?

i live in phoenix. i skipped a 980 ti and opted for the 980 because of its lower power usage in comparison. performance doesn't matter to me if it comes at the cost of making my room 115 when its already 115 outside. during may to september the walls of my house are warm to the touch. WITH AC ON. i also can't set AC to anything lower than 77 because during july, 77 already lands me a $380 electric bill. which also leads into issue #2. electricity cost.

if i lived in buttfuck no where idaho where its 20 outside then sure thing. i'll gladly pick up a house fire video card. low electrical rates and the video card acts like a mini heater. keeping gas prices down for the furnace. but no, i live in the land of the fucking phoenix.

I found one for $165 and snapped it up, used parts are a gamble though.

390x shits all over the 480.

290x is better by a hair.

depends.

i bought my 290x for 150$ (which is shit cheap in Norway) 480 and 1060 cost around 320$

it was a good buy

It's only slightly better and runs a lot hotter.

Looks like its still tested by guru3d.

lmao, guru3d is just adding in the same result from previous times. they dont actually retest the card.

Nopbody actually retests all those cards - not even TPU despite their claims.

The one i'm looking at is Sapphire new.

doesn't matter, any gpu thats pushed hard puts out a fuck ton of heat, amd makes the room hotter faster, but nvidia is not far behind.

amd peak use is about 20% higher then nvidia, but nvidia goes above amd once you oc the 980, the difference is honestly negligible.

personally, im going to duct my computer area so all the heat goes into the air return soon, so heat will never matter.

3 years, not 8 months.
on a die about half the size.

because it got gimped by AMD after they release 480 and tried to sabotage r9 390/290 every new drivers

yes

kek

Phoronix does. GNU/Linux wins once again. :^)

Where can i get my free copy

Snipsnip.org/snippy

India, If you gonna get sexed by pajeet they will give u one

>I didn't ask if it was older
No, but thats the reason its not more powerful. Don't get taken aback when the answer isn't correct and you just don't agree. The 390X is an amped 290X with more VRAM. It's not 8 months separating the architecture, its nearly 3 years.

And the release dates between the 390X and 480X is 12 months anyways. Stop pretending to know shit and kill yourself already.

The 390 has less processors than the 290X. What are you on about?

the old x is still better than a 480

nigga

360-460
370-470
380-480
390-490

we will prob get a 480x and 490x in late 2017-2018

it's a throwback to the nshidia days when they were using the x 400 line
now amd is using x 400, and it too is a housefire.
good power efficiency, but that heat is absurd.

The 980 was also 1.5x+ the price of the 390

>we will prob get a 480x and 490x in late 2017-2018

Vega is only just around the corner.

A 430 card is replaced by a 240 card less than a year later

At least Nvidia has the decency to charge twice the price for 3 year old hardware and then sell the same performance a year later for half the price.

You don't think the people who bought a 390x feels a little screwed? They sold a refresh of a refresh of a housefire.

>360-460
>370-470
>380-480
>390-490

Are you retarded?

>Vega is only just around the corner

Half a year away is not around the corner.

>refresh of a refresh of a housefire
wat
390X was a refresh of the 290X sure, but the 290X was a new chip

Not water cooling your r9 390 so you can have a shitposting/space heater in cold winters

>you bought a r9 290 in 2015

I love that page. They still show my 760 gtx in a good portion of the results.

I'm perfectly happy with my 390.
Never had real heat problems either, although most of the games I play are either RTS or fighting games.

the 480 runs cool as an ice cube

stop lying

Same with 7970 / 7870

On release they competed with gtx580 / 570, at current year they are still relevant and are on par with gtx780 / 960

t. r9 390 owner (former 7850 and 4870 owner)
I'll upgrade when this is 50-60% performance of the next "high end" 400-500$ ayymd cards.

390 ocd to 1100 core. Never goes over 75c. It's a housewarm at least

DESU I bought a 4870 right after its launch and I kept it for around 3 years.

Best GPU purchase (from a price/performace/durability point of view) I ever made.

>good power efficiency, but that heat is absurd.

Doesnt that go against thermodynamics?

I actually thought for a long time that my 6950/70 was dying since sometimes it had serious artifacting, and the card pcb got a bit bent over the years (the cables and the aftermarket cooler are probably at fault).

It turns out that it was just Ati Tray Tools incompatible with the card. It really has no other problems, other than very minor coil whine, and that happens only when I scroll 2d content (scrolling in an image viewer etc).

I'm not even sure if it's the actual coils that whine, or if some noise just creeps into the 5.1 analog audio out, which is a rather poorly shielded cable.

Anyone knows a decent FPS viewer that works in all games, and is extremely lightweight? That's the only reason I kept Ati Tray Tools around.

>The hotter the air is that comes out of your PC, the more efficient your cooling system is.

No, that just means that you are circulating hot air inside the PC. If the air inside the case is as hot as the heatsinks are, then they won't be able to cool them down.

Turn up your intake fans, get some cool air in there.

No, this is a fucking meme.

The reference cards had $5 aluminium blocks as their "coolers".

nonreference parts don't even break 75C unless you use Furmark in a case with no airflow.

because it's gimped with new drivers

This is why I got a 390x when I built a new desktop a while back. They were very similar in performance, but the 390x was like $100 less.

Now try playing Witcher 3.