Self taught programmer looking to learn advanced math

I've been a self taught web developer for a few years now. I eventually want to get a formal education in computer science or math, but first want to teach myself as much as I can to decide if it's worth pursuing.

I know JavaScript is cancer but I want to make some cool games and visualizations with HTML5 canvas.

I'd like to start from college math all the way to linear algebra. If you guys have any good sources or math books that can help me get started and work my way up that would be great, thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

Sup
archive.org/details/algebra00chrygoog
archive.org/details/algebraelementar01chryuoft
people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/
archive.org/details/DifferentialIntegralCalculusVolI
archive.org/details/DifferentialIntegralCalculusVol2
joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>All the way to linear algebra
user, that's entry level shit. I think I took it in the first year of my computer science degree.

>I'd like to start from college math all the way to linear algebra.

Don't you have like a basic education?
We were taught that in like 7th class.
No idea what the form of school is called in English.

>f(x) = 2x+5
>advanced algebra boiii

Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics
Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

he's probably talking about stuff like working with matrices, eigenvectors and other decompositions, which are relevant to lots of areas in modern CS

That's not linear algebra stupid fuck, that's normal algebra. Linear algebra is used in graphics and machine learning.

why I can't understand math but can program just fine?

>Algebra: An Elementary Text-book for the Higher Classes of Secondary Schools and for Colleges by George Chrystal
archive.org/details/algebra00chrygoog
archive.org/details/algebraelementar01chryuoft

>Book Of Proof by Richard Hammack
people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/

>Differential & Integral Calculus by Richard Courant
archive.org/details/DifferentialIntegralCalculusVolI
archive.org/details/DifferentialIntegralCalculusVol2

>Linear Algebra by Jim Hefferon
joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/

""""""""""""'web programmer""""""""""""'

thanks, this is the kind of response I'm looking for

thanks I'll check these out

Yes this is exactly what I'm talking about.

yes, JavaScript pays my bills

>linear algebra
>entry level
>took it first year of computer science

Wow, CS students must be geniuses because I took it 3rd of my physics degree.

No, you just went to a shit school. It's a 1st/2nd year class depending on rigor.

Unless you meant advanced linear algebra.

>Sup Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>Contrary to the popular belief, learning to use a
>1970s style terminal text editor like vim/emacs is
>completely unnecessary and unhelpful.

Because programming isn't math faggot. It's man made.

>why I can't understand math but can program just fine?
Let me ask you this, user:
Why can I build awesome structures with lego blocks but not know shit about structural engineering?
Because theyre different. With legos all the hard work is already done and your just snapping premade pieces together.
But maybe if you have an understand of structural engineering you can make some bigger and better lego structures

This is not a good approach, user. I'd suggest just writing what you want and seeing if/where you get stuck.

Khanacademy.com has most of what you need

>don't know what linear algebra is
Stop embarrassing yourself

>calculus
Again I must ask. Why the fuck would a CS bother with calculus at all?

>college math all the way to linear algebra
top kek, people who are bad at math must be literal subhumans

only that they are different in scope.
There's nothing special about linear algebra, math majors see it in 2nd semester.
Only that for physics calculus and real analysis are much more relevant, at least at the first stages, I don't know what lies beyond.

Well, the pre-requisite for it was Calculus III so I don't see how anyone can take it their first year...

And the reason I took it my 3rd year is because my 2nd year I was doing advanced mathematical methods in physics, mechanics, quantum mechanics, e-m, etc. It would have been silly to overload myself.

Then it was probably more advanced than the typical intro to linear algebra class. Although I'm not sure what you would get out of Calc III that would be useful, other than some mathematical maturity.

>We were taught that in like 7th class.

That's great if you are still in school. People who've been out of school for a while, and haven't used more than the basic math one is likely to need in day to day life since graduation will not likely retain it so well. I use geometry, and some trig on my job (machinist), so I'm comfortable with them, and know enough to build on that knowledge relatively easily.

Algebra (for the most part) on the other hand is something that I haven't used since about 1999, or 2000, and my experience with it back then wasn't with practical, real-world application of it, nor was I actually interested in it beyond wanting/needing to pass the class. I'd pretty much need to relearn it again if I wanted to use it today.

My step-mom has a MS in mathematics. Math is something she genuinely loves. She ended up working in the IT field, starting back in the early 70s. She learned some quite advanced types of math in college, but never really had a practical use for much of it. Throughout her career she mainly dealt with writing financial/business software and databases. The kind of math she dealt with regularly, and needed to be proficient with was business math. Her knowledge of that sort of math is still fresh in her mind, whereas say calculus is not. She says that she thought calculus was very interesting, but she's never once used it for anything outside of school, and there was little reason for her to maintain a working knowledge of it.

shut the fuck up subhuman faggot.

>t. mathtoddler

here, a solid fuckton of books
hxxp: volafile.io
.r.kUFzLJ

replace . with /

They are not the same thing. Depending on what you program, you may or may not need more than basic math skills at all. Math is extremely beneficial for all programmers however, albeit indirectly. Math teaches you to approach problem solving logically. This also happens to be a great way to approach programming.

It's not necessarily the only, or best approach though. Critical, creative, and analytical problem solving skills are also beneficial.

You probably aren't great at problems that involve recursion and dynamic programming. That shit is mathy as fuck. If you're just using some API and following cookbook style programming with a framework then all you need is a good short term memory to juggle all the different modules you're interacting with to solve problems. They're entirely different skills but both are pretty hard. It's rare but sometime people who are good at math actually aren't especially good programmers. I read some blogpost by a guy who got hired because he was good at math problems (he had a math degree but little programming experience) but ended up actually getting fired because he couldn't learn fast enough to be useful.

Maybe he was just a retard though.

Maths are man made....

Which is rather philosophical...

Philosophy is man made..

*enters loophole*

I'm the same way user. I can program all day, do all logic and analytical thinking, creative problem solving, but if you give me a worksheet with lots of numbers and equations I'll freeze and say fuck where's the calculator.

>few years
>Web developer

>advanced math
>linear algebra

Advanced CS requires it.

How is it not a good approach? I want to learn more advanced math than I currently know. Just asking for resources here.

Sometimes they might need to calculate rate of change of something.

Calculus is super useful for anyone who works with the physical world.

Calculus, linear algebra etc is not "advanced math", I'm currently doing functional analysis and I wouldn't even consider this to be a lot more than basics.

If you want advanced mathematics look into algebraic geometry, group theory (lie groups/algebras etc), advanced complex anysis and so on.

Math people are doing whole degrees on just the Grothendieck-Riemann-Roch theorem. It's very focused work.

You should know calculus regardless of what you're doing

wow good for you want a cookie?

What you're PROBABLY asking for is an introduction to proofs.

It's tempting to dive right into something like Spivak right off the bat, but in addition to the more advanced concepts of calculus that you may not be familiar with, you'll also likely wrangle with the level of rigour needed in a proof, which can be unintuitive when starting out.

There might be more contemporary books, but personally I recommend Foundations of Analysis by Landau. It starts with the absolute basics and as such has plenty of proofs of rudimentary arithmetical theorems. You get further explanation of concepts you're already familiar with while also seeing plenty of examples of how proofs are constructed.

spoiler: you can't program as good as you think

but you already knew this, didnt you

okay, get:

an introductory calculus book (stewart, spivak, etc, they all have the same stuff)

intro linear algebra book

intro stats book

introductory discrete math (grimaldi)

differential equations book

there, that's the first two years of a math degree

math is made by reality
humans just codified it with their symbols

It's from /sci/, not Sup Forums. They actually care about getting shit done.

>stewart

NO. Stewart is GARBAGE. If you want an alternative to Spivak there are plenty of better alternatives, like Apostol.

Courant & John > Courant > Apostol > Spivak >>>> Stewart

whats the GOAT book on linear algebra? I took it accelerated and it didn't really stick.

Also discrete math

I'm doing a masters in applied math and the people from a pure math background have difficulty doing anything practical in a reasonable timeframe. They don't have the concept of 'good enough' so it takes them forever to do things.

>getting shit done
>by wrestling with a shit GUI

lol no

not all branches of mathematics is "made by reality"
Geometry is based on observations.
Linear algebra is useful tools we use to approximate stuff in "reality" to an ideal model.