/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread - CUT THE COMMIE TRIPFAG SHIT OUT EDITION

Previously /**Experimental:
*Wire chat - add @helix to get started
*/

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AACS_encryption_key_controversy
gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671
dev.solus-project.com/T233
github.com/arybczak/ncmpcpp/blob/master/doc/config#L186
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/01/ubuntu-new-terminal-app-snap
vicerveza.homeunix.net/~viric/soft/ts/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Free namefag

> can't play dvds out of the box

when did linux get so cucked?

Linux is a kernel.

its only you tbqh

Should I try Antergos or Fedora? I heard Redshift is glitchy with Fedora.

It sucks, but it's not linux fault, but rather stupid laws that don't allow you to break encryption.
And DVDs are encrypted.
To uncrypt them (legally) you need a DVD software, where the software provider paid for the keys. In windows and OSX, those keys are bought and provided for by the OS vendor.
And in linux, you have to search for the evil hacker software libdvdcss to break the laugable DVD encryption. Or you see if you can find a paid for DVD player software. I think in the early 2000s, there was a version of realplayer for linux that could legally play DVD.

is Opensue tumblerweed any good?
Herd that it is supposedly very nice and stable from some friends, but I'd guess that as a rolling release it is anything but, by definition.
What gives?

How do I get wine/playonlinux to open my game on the primary monitor? I can't play this game in windowed mode (i.e. drag it over) because of a bug. Even if I alt tab out and use Cinnamon's "move to other screen" option, it goes back to the secondary monitor when I restore the game again.

The Linux kernel is only part of the Linux operating system.

Your friends don't know what "stable" means and are probably Archbabies.

Which is a kernel, which can't decide whether or not to play DVDs. You're thinking of a Linux distribution.

They mean stable as in:
>been using it for 5 months now, and haven't had a single crash or weird bug that stops me from working
but certainly not
>certified enterprise®™ stable

Ironically, I am asking this, because I think about distrohopping, since my certified enterprise®™ stable CentOS has now totally shat the bad the second time in the last two months.

Why is hardened linux something you have to patch in? Why don't they just include all those protections in the default kernel? If it was always like that then all software would be written considering it and it would easier for everyone no?

reposting this question I had better get an answer this time or you will all regret it.

/r/linux or /r/linuxmasterrace?

GNU/Linux*

Sup Forumsfglt
theyre all the same, pretty much

/r/linux_gaming

Nice try, Dr. Shill - but I'm only the one who posted . I do like how utterly infuriated by it you are, though - it warms the cockles of my heart.

Tripreport from Funtoo in bhyve:
It's not too shabby, at all - especially when you can grab march specific stage 3s which saves having to re-compile the kernel.
Need to figure out how to do root on zfs, though - should be possible to dualboot this and FreeBSD off the same zpool since I've got plenty of free space and don't want to run it in hardware virtualization for any length of time.
It's also possible to completely avoid systemd with a bit of messing around (even found a github to help me get gnome3 if I wanted that, although for now I'm sticking to i3).
Oh, and emerge --jobs is possibly the best command line switch one could want for a system that depends on being compiled from source. FreeBSDs portmaster(8) could make use of this - maybe FreeBSD and Funtoo should have the same relationship that FreeBSD and Illumos have; ie. taking inspiration from each others best features (see: jails directly inspired zones, crossbow directly inspired vimage/vnet).

Also discovered glances, which is really nice and available from pkg, so it's going on every one of my FreeBSD systems in a tmux session.

Manjaro.

Are there any distro that's geared towards malware scanning?

I dont know.
There is a distro geared towards recovery.

>There is a distro geared towards recovery
I know about those.
I used puppy linux on USB flash drive for that.
I need to copy files from external HDD, that's most likely to be infected with malware for windows, to another machine.
I don't want the malware to infect the new machine.

I love vivaldi but im thinking of dropping it because i think it doesnt support flash on linux even tho its a chrome based bower. anyone has a solution to this ?

Grab streamlink and streamlink-twitch-gui, that lets you use mpv or another player to watch Twitch streams instead of watching them in-browser.
Chatty can be used for chat, so you may also wanna grab that.

I already do that sometimes ; i just wanna know if there is a way to enable flash support in Vivaldi on a linux distro

Can't help you there - I'm one of those people who think flash should die and have it permanently disabled in my browser. I'll rather spend hours working on a work-around, than not use flash.

Hasn't Twitch used HTML5 video for months?

GNU/Linux*

>how to enable malware support on a proprietary browser
can't believe what I'm reading here

decrypt*

Fun fact: Some countries allow you break encryption (by any means necessary) on physical media you own or borrow for the expressed purpose of backing it up.

>uses a free operating system
>goes out of his way and installs something as widely available as a webbrowser that's proprietary and not free

You're an idiot. Let me guess, you fell for the "it's fast!" buzzphrase.

I remember when some fag found out the dvd key and posted it everywhere on the net, kek
I guess blueray isn't that easy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AACS_encryption_key_controversy

Jon Lech Johansen aka. DVD Jon.

Also, 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0. Why do I still remember it.

Does anyone else hav problems with network manager breaking when the system suspends? I just searched online about the problem and the threads about the bug hav been around since 2012. Do they never fix bugs or what? FFS I'm running ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS which means these things shud be stable.

>Why do I still remember it.
because it only takes a second to search it.

they finally fixed it in 16.10

I mean sure, but I actually do remember it. Why would I lie about that? I stand nothing to gain from it, I'm an anonymous poster just like you.

back in that days people had better brains
we were actually able to save stuff like full phone numbers, it's nearly unbelievable

had the same issue.
It's not Network Manager, it's the applet. At least for me and other people. After returning from suspend, the icon shows no connection while it's still working without problems.
I'm on version 1.4.4 and it works, without that bug.

vivaldi looks very good thats why i use it
if annyone has the same problem ; i actually fixed it by these commands in the terminal :
sudo apt update && sudo apt install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra

anyone got source on OPs pick? Looks indycar to me. Never see Linux in motorsport

>flash

the problem in the end wasnt flash ; vivaldi doesnt initially support mp4 format videos

>using your browser as a media player

why would i keep copy , pasting links of short videos which alternate in watching . thats not comfortable at all.

seconding, I'm having issues with babuntu right now and opensuse looks kinda interesting.

>tfw stuck with Debian-based distros because APT/Synaptic is superior to other package managers
>tfw missing out on Fedora/CentOS, OpenSUSE, and Manjaro because of this

>APT/Synaptic is superior to other package managers
please don't bait me like that

what up with that retarded interpunctation?

im using an azerty keyboard for the first time

Parted Magic can do exactly this

Since Infinality died, I decided to ditch it before things got too bad.
I followed this guide: gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671

My font in urxvt, GTK (set with lxappearance), and dmenu is Terminus. After I removed Infinality all of those broke. I tried installing terminus-font-ttf from AUR but it has issues (lines in urxvt are too far apart vertically, dmenu doesn't seem to find the font at all).

Is it possible to get my comfy Terminus back in a way it was with Infinality? Or at least get something close?

>terminus
>ttf
What? Terminus is a bitmap font.

Exactly. It disappeared from the GTK font picker, so I hat to install the terminus-font-ttf package. I assume this is a wrong solution to the problem, so I'm looking for the right one. All this font stuff is confusing.

And before you ask, yes I do have and always had terminus-font package installed.

Solus is a fucking meme. Why didn't I listen, Sup Forums? Actually installed it on my laptop

dev.solus-project.com/T233

What's the best software to use widgets on Ubuntu 16.04? Conky freezes up a good bit.

>looks good
>browser looking good
An ideal browser would be invisible. Only the web content should be visible, idiot.

>all those guides

Ha ha, no.

>copy-paste that one fontconfig found on the wiki
>install deja vu fonts
>have more than acceptable font rendering now

The majority of you wouldn't even be able to distinguish those and name which one is which. You're almost the same as audiophiles.

There's a thread on the Arch forums. How about you search your distribution's forums first?

Why do people connect Linux with communism?

because of this guy

I assume font handling is distro-agnostic. I'm pretty sure I've had this problem with not being able to use Terminus where I wanted to back in my Ubuntu days.

>>all those guides
Your post is a retard's ramble, I'm not surprised counting to 1 is hard for you.

For some reason they regard U.S. patent law as communist.

Can I use 256 colors in ncmpcpp's "song_columns_list_format" or am I limited to the listted 10 colors?

The manpage lists only 10 colors, but bringing up the help window in ncmpcpp shows I can use 256 colors.

It's, but you're using Arch now.

>Your post is a retard's ramble, I'm not surprised counting to 1 is hard for you.
There has been more than 1 guide on how to "bring back Infinality" during this week.

nvm fixed it ;)

github.com/arybczak/ncmpcpp/blob/master/doc/config#L186

Terminus is called "xos4 Terminus" for some reason. Solved.

>arch toddlers btfo again

On Gnome 16.04
I installed Dropbox and this panel appeared on the bottom of the page. I want to remove it. Tell me how.

>ubuntu developes its own terminal """app"""
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/01/ubuntu-new-terminal-app-snap

What's that snap stuff

How do I get the watch command to play nicely with programs like youtube-dl which update the terminal output?

Instead of printing the progress text being updates, it keeps printing it repeatedly (even worse, with no newlines unlike wget)

Why would you want to use watch with youtube-dl?

>Wire chat - add @helix to get started
What is this?

Can other users in the chatroom see my IP address?

Install Gentoo.

I use task spooler (vicerveza.homeunix.net/~viric/soft/ts/) which allows me to place commands on a queue. I can then print out their output in another terminal.

The other alternative I suppose it to connect the second pane to STDOUT of the running process but I'd have to write a wrapper that can switch when the running task changes.

>linking to a clickbait site

Found a solution. In case anyone needs it, yes, you reading this on warosu. Just install TopIcons extension.

People in this thread are useless.

So, I heard Kali is pretty good for pen-testing (which I need).
Say I'll get a new laptop for 700-800$, will it be good enough to VMware/Vbox Kali and if so what distro should I use as a desktop OS?

Do you really _need_ Kali? I'm sure you can just install the few tools you'll actually be using on your main distro just to save yourself from ever bothering with virtualizing Kali. There's a repo for Arch that has all of Kali programs, so that's an even simpler solution if you choose Arch.

With your main distro choice just stick to mainline, don't go obscure. *buntu, Debian, Arch, Gentoo -- something along those lines.

Thanks, I'll think about that. That's probably true.

Is Linux really as insecure as developers in the community say?

In what aspect?

I'm using ranger in urxvt with w3m-img for displaying image previews on debian jessie.

Once I select an image in ranger I get those rendering bugs like on the attached picture on the right side and the bottom-right.

Does anyone know what's causing it or knows a possible fix?

I always see people record a portion of their screen as they click some links and shit and post it as a webm here on Sup Forums.

How is that done? How do you capture a portion of the screen and then save as webm?

As with anything video related, answer is always ffmpeg

Funny you should say that. I'm downloading a video on that topic here

>or knows a possible fix?
abandon hope, image previews in terminal have always been broken and will be broken forever.

SimpleScreenRecorder? OBS?

Conversion of anything to webm can be done with ffmpeg, as already mentioned.

Link to the actual video.

>As with anything video related, answer is always ffmpeg
what's the command line?

yeah, I don't know what they use. I'd like to learn how to create a simple webm when doing something on the screen.

>yeah, I don't know what they use
well SimpleScreenRecorder is what you should probably use.
It's pretty straightforward, can output to webm. There's probably some tutorials if you get too lost.

....please tell me you're not asking what the command line is.

Speaking of the command line, plan9 was kind of neat in that way - if you wanted to take a screenshot you simply did this:
togif < /dev/screen > screenshot.gif

Similarily it had a truly distributed file-system (any remote sources via ftp or any other protocol would be treated just like local files; even to the point that if you had a soundcard in a secondary machine you could simply access it from your current machine by cat /dev/random > /dev/snd0), UTF8 was built-in and even SMP was well-integrated.

Anybody here having problems using lemonbar with bspwm? For some reason it's gone wonky

For one, it fucks with the 'bspc config top_padding' setting, like it reduces the padding by 10 pixels. Secondly, if I have an external monitor connected along side my laptop monitor, and then run lemonbar, everything gets fucked up and I can't figure out why.

You have to go back.

no, just what ffmpeg options to use. there's hundreds of them and I have no idea how to tell ffmpeg to actually capture screen.