catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb3212642
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Windows XP was.

WIn 7 is damn good though.

member when widgets were a thing but removed because there were so many security issues that microsoft just removed the feature instead of fixing it

What the hell are you talking about, I can still add widgets to my 7. I just disabled them all together because I don't use them.

that taskbar, isn't that Vista ?

7 is the best (:

They disabled them in 8 and 10

Yes
Oh ok.

Look at the bottom right corner. Superbar was not implemented yet.

Pretty sad that most people will never experience macOS levels of comfyness.

what was wrong with Vista other than it running slow on trash computers ?

For fuck's sake, let us have a thread about OUR beloved-hated OS and get your own thread. Fucking shill.

>Windows XP was
It still hurts

No need to be trigreed because I cited something made a brand you don't like.

When will rand loyalty children grow up?

I miss XP. Gonna install Gold XP tonight!

I'm sorry dear user. Usually these kind of statements derail a thread from it's normal purpose, and instead turn it into an OS circlejerk. And I'm tired of these kind of circlejerks. Excuse my overreaction.

buggy at first release and wasn't updated soon enough, this led to unpopularity

most people were also used to windows xp and didn't want to switch

vista was like the counter strike source of windows

Would an RX 470 work on Windows 7?
I've got a gaming VM that's currently on 10 but wouldn't mind being able to do some old school 7 ricing
I know there would be no dx12 or whatever

I used OSX from Tiger to Mountain Lion. it's nothing special. Mounting things was neat, compared to how Windows handled ISOs at the time (it didn't)

i remember installing win 7 for the first time in 2010 and being amazed about how beautiful it was. of course that was before i came to Sup Forums and got brainwashed with loonix and installed it as my main OS
>2010 was 7 (SEVEN) years ago

This I was still running XP when Vista was out and then switched to 7 when it got released.
I have a dual boot OS installed for both 7 and 10 but I still primarily use 7. I only start up 10 to play Hitman in DX12.

I still use Windows 7 SP1 by the way. 10

Is w7 actually faster than w10?

I can get both free from my university and my notebook is a shitty i3 with 4gb of ram

That would be Windows 2000.
Close though.

Yes

Aero is just a bad clone of Aqua. Prove me wrong.

>i3
>4 GB ram
Win 10 will only bottleneck your system since it's very resource intensive. It also sends all kinds of data to Microshit every minute or so.

Get 7.

K might make the switch when we get home.

You can also make a partition or grab a 2nd HDD and create a dual boot.

Task bar doesn't inflate like your mother's dildo and windows don't slurp themselves into the corner like you slurping cum when you minimize them

This guy is not wrong. Ever since Ballmer took over they have obsessively copy Apple

Since when is Windows 10 resource intensive? It's the opposite. xd

lol no

7 is more lightweight

and some benchmarks

Wrong.
I know because I had both versions installed on my shitty notebook. Win 10 ran like ass and slowed everything down. Switching back to 7 fixed it.

>Not installing POSReady

Hm

I dont really care about data being sent to MS but I guess I will give this a try.

Wouldn't using 7 be less secure though?

>Wouldn't using 7 be less secure though?
No

Vista's Aero Glass did glossy the best.

Not at all, you have all the security mitigations that are on 10 as well, such as ASLR, DEP..Both are equally secure. On the contrary actually, you could make the argument that 10 has a larger attacking surface due to all the crap that's being added to it.

Dual boot is retarded imo,a VM is fine. I give it its own SSD, 16 GiB RAM, and a graphics card. Plays games fine with no reason to shut down my host

>Wouldn't using 7 be less secure though?
Not really. It still gets security updates and whatever extra 10 has are backdoored.

Whatever suits your needs.

Anyone has that list of updates you need to install to make Win 7 update again? It is stuck at checking for updates for 10 hours now.

google.com

it has more to do with the monitor than the OS features (that are totally customizable)

>installing piece of shit ready

Get Convenience Rollup followed by catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb3212642

only for 3 more years

ONLY 3 YEARS!!!!?

lel
I tested Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 on a Lenovo (2013 or 2014) for around 300€.
Windows 10 runs better than 7, 8 and 8.1 on it.

Windows 7 with Aero disabled and 2000 theme enabled here. Everything else is trash tier. I run i3-4170 4GHz + 2x2gb DDR3 with one memory channel broken and everything runs as smooth as butt. Decided to wait for ryzen but I don't know if I even have to upgrade.

Sure:

> [1] Installing and searching for updates is slow and high CPU usage occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

> [2] How to update the Windows Update Agent to the latest version
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

> [3] April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

> [4] July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

avoid:
KB2952664
KB3021917
KB3068708
KB3080149
KB3184143
KB971033

Win 10 has better drivers most of the time. I hope you downloaded the drivers from manufacturer websites.

It's comply but I don't really like the file manager or their fullscreen mode bullshit

Then use 8.1
Updates for 6 years

You don't need them..

yeah, I member

>install windows 7
>forget how to install network driver
>google it
>shitty unhelpful result
>install windows 10
>problem solved

That is gay af

>forget how to install network driver
Sup Forums everybody

windows 7 was the last windows I ever used.
win8 was so bad I switched to hackintosh.
won't be going back to winshit ever again, aside from dualbooting for gaym

That is a funny way to say Windows 2000 user.

>>forget how to install network driver
what

>i'm.. not... joking..

one day you'll forget how to breathe

Windows 10 was handcrafted by best sofware artists of the world to deliver you superior user experience. Why would anyone use outdated Windows 7?

I'm currently working on a copypasta reply for Windows 10 hate threads. Basically a non-Sup Forums user's list of issues with Windows 10. Should I post the current version?

Yes

ouuu yeah, my nigga

10 is way more optimised than 7 is.

What makes 7 comfier than 10 is that its not a retarded mix of the tile/flat design and old aero.

Yes, 7 was still full of old legacy win98 design like all windows, but it was much less noticeable.

putting windows 7 on my computer was like pulling teeth. Apparently it doesn't play well with USB 3.0 and skylake, so I had to get a install disk patcher from some corner of ASRock's website (I use a gigbayte mobo, go figure) so that the install USB would work. It's been running like a dream now though. Windows 10 would have a severe problem every couple of weeks (infinite login screen loop, constantly putting candy crush back on my computer, etc.) and I haven't had a single issue since.

haha, wow, delusional pajeeta really believe this.

As much as I would like to support your point, these are ancient-tier benchmarks. There has been tons of both driver and subsystem improvements.

no, it's not..

you realise tjat doesn't affect the cpu bound benchmarks, right?

How would subsystem like the kernel not change those as well?

Right, I think this is in a postable state. I'll appreciate feedback, my English is pretty shit and I'm not Sup Forums yet. I've probably only spent about 24 hours max over my entire life on any OS other than Windows, although I guess that makes me somewhat unbiased.

I'll have to break it up into multiple posts, some of the sections seems to fit nicely into just one post so I'll try to stick to that.

Issue #1 - Loss of control
This is the big one, I honestly don't feel like I have control over Windows 10.
-There's unstoppable, undocumented updates which are entirely capable of breaking your PC and often give you needless bloat. I can understand there being mandatory security updates but very little beyond that can be considered acceptable, particularly when it's nearly impossible to find out what the updates actually do.
-You'll often find shit that you've never heard of running in the background of your PC without you being able to stop it. Your fan randomly increasing in speed coupled with sudden lag is often the only warning you get that something strange is going on. Most people would call that malware.
-On the malware topic, Windows 10 gets downloaded automatically if you run Windows 7 or 8.1 (3-6 gigabytes of data some people absolutely do not want or need) and I've heard horrors like "Windows 10 resets your default applications to built-in Microsoft's ones after each major update" not to mention stories of stuff like Skype being auto-reinstalled.
-The Windows Updates can change the settings on your machine. Particularly annoying ones include making certain services mandatory or removing old services. I've personally had issues with this in relation to Windows Defender - Windows Updates are entirely capable of making it reenable itself and start scanning your machine against your will.
-Did you know that Microsoft actually installs non-Microsoft software on to your PC without even telling you? Do some looking around - you probably have Candy Crush installed and despite how bad that already sounds, it's actually worse than you think. When have Microsoft been given the opportunity to see the source code for Candy Crush? I doubt they ever have, which means that they've put software on your machine without even knowing that it's safe.

Issue #2 - Privacy
W10 basically monitors everything and they'll surrender your info if they believe that there is good reason to do so (read the Privacy Statement). This is a power that is far too easy to misuse. As one person put it "no fucking way we can trust them with this, because as soon as they have the ability to tell your computer to package up some data and send it to them, some asshole in law enforcement is going to demand they misuse it."
-Here's a relevant quote:
"Wow, just wow: Microsoft now openly publishes its collected data in regard to Windows 10 users:
"Over 44.5 billion minutes spent in Microsoft Edge across Windows 10 devices in just the last month" - we spy on Edge users.
"Over 82 billion photos viewed within the Windows 10 Photo app" - you're using our Gallery app, right? Great!
"Gaming continues to grow on Windows 10 ? in 2015, gamers spent over 4 billion hours playing PC games on Windows 10" - we now know what apps you're running and for how long."
-In the simplest possible way, Windows just isn't secure. Any idiot with access to your machine can get past your Windows password, they don't even need to crack it.
-Trying to permanently "fix" the privacy issues in Windows 10 is a waste of time. The fact that they make money off your data is the very reason why they could afford to give out Windows 10 for free. You're not going to win, it's in Microsoft's best interest to make you lose.

Issue #3 - Quality
A lot of Microsoft's stuff is just plain bad.
-Microsoft has some very questionable practices when it comes to their products. They'd rather ditch a program for a new one so that they can market the new one's improvements rather than patch up the old one (go have a look at all the programs they released with Windows 8/10 to replace the 7 versions). That being said however, anything they don't ditch always has one of these three bad things happen to it:
1) It simply gets worse over time. The examples that comes quickest to my mind are Windows Movie Maker (it was great until the Vista version removed most of the features), Outlook (Hotmail used to be good but Outlook just fucking sucks, aside from being hilarious slow it's got some other big issues like its spam filters being so bad that they're known to even filter emails from Microsoft. I've even had {malicious} email sent to me that we're automatically flagged, marked as high priority, and had triggered Outlook's own special thing to tell me that the email is safe), and Skype (it gets more bloated with every update, and for some reason you can no longer send pictures to anyone any more - if you send a picture to someone on Skype the quality of the image gets reduced and it gets uploaded somewhere external, what the other uses is sent is a disguised link to it)
2) It remains totally stagnant, as if they've forgot it (e.g. pretty much anything that we've had for more than a decade, Paint and the Calculator come to mind).
3) It gets (very quickly) surpassed by third parties. To find some examples you only need to pull up a list of whatever software you immediately install upon getting a new PC.
The only solid counterexample I have for all of these is Microsoft Office. It's no wonder that for some people Office is the only reason they've got Windows installed.

Ah shit, this one is bigger than a single post.

-Microsoft's vague error messages make for difficult debugging.
-The official Microsoft support stuff is just plain shit. This includes both the staff and the guides they write.
-Never forget the XBONE. Something's been giving Microsoft some really bad ideas recently.
-Most malware writers target Windows as the most popular desktop OS, so it has the biggest number of viruses among all other OSes
-W10 probably fucks with your Internet - all that calling home can't be good for you up/down speeds. Nor can the updates. Windows 10 sucks terribly if you are an unlucky user of a metered Internet connection

Issue #>3 The Nitpicks:
-You can't run files with large locations/names
-'Trustedinstaller'
-.zip is shit and it's got worse since XP. Why can't you easily password protect them any more?
-Both AppData and the Registry are unholy clusterfucks. Nothing seems to uninstall in any tidy way.
-The volume control is shit. It should take me two fucking clicks to up the volume of an individual program, not 3 which includes a right click.
-You need a third-party program to make things 'always on top'

'Windows rot' is often brought up by people who know what they're talking about, I've never been able to pin it down as a cause of any issues, but hey - there's that.

That's everything, how have I done? I doubt it's screencap tier, but hopefully it was at least accurate or readable.

>That's everything, how have I done? I doubt it's screencap tier, but hopefully it was at least accurate or readable.
Some good points, thanks you for your efforts.
Thankfully I am on LTSB so I don't have to endure this shit.
I am switching to macOS soon so byebye Windows, good night sweet prince.

Try it. I did my own bnchmarks as well on multiple versions. From what I can tell, currently performance wise, they're:
7 = 8.1 > 1607 LTSB >>> 1607 Pro

>LTSB
It's filled with garbage as well. 1507 doesn;t even support newer Nvidia GPUs. And 1607 is a complete mess.

Will do, actually. Need to get a new OS set up on my new M.2 SSD.Currently running 8.1. Unfortunately, there are a few advantages that 8.1 has that I like, such as higher x264 performance.

I am on Build 10240. Just werks.

Anyone has list updates that add "features" from win 10 to win 7?

How does a Mac cost in Serbia and Croatia?

Windows XP bitch

>I know there would be no dx12 or whatever
Vulkan is available for windows 7.

Post your speccy and list steps to installation? And why would an asrock tool work on a gigabyte mobo?

shift+f2 screenshot --fullpage entirethread.png

Because all that tool does is integrate the USB 3 drivers. You don't necessarily need that, there are many other ways of doing it, you can even install them post Windows installation and you can even set your BIOS to emulate USB 2. Assuming you haven't bought the cheapest shit that's out there.

Literally what I thought word for word by the time I got to the last panel.

fuck Dx12, there is barely a game which utilizes the capabilities of DX12

+ Telemetry
+ Forced updates
+ Square "design"
+ Software as a shitty service

Too much for you to own one

>posting such an ancient joke

Windows 2000 was.
Just a shame most game authors ignored NT based Windows until XP.