Windows 10, here I come

Well, Sup Forums, after 4 years of using Linux I think I'm going to switch back to Windows. Linux still feels like a cobbled together mess and I can't stand it anymore. It seems like every little odd thing I want to do involves hours of research and tweaking that usually just ends with no solution, some half-assed "work-around", and just plain frustration.

My plan is official Win 10 ISO + kmspico. Please tell me what else I need to know to not have the basic shit Windows installation with random restarts and the like.

Install Gentoo

get education or enterprise, use gpo to disable updates, use O&O ShutUp10 to disable telemetry and other unwanted shit

Excellent. Thank you

No, I get it. The problem with Linux, is that there's so many fucking variants. It's like the progressive-genders-list of OSs.
>Don't like a specific flavor, change whatever you want
Fucking fanbois of this one and that one. Often with an excuse of:
-this is too bloated
-this has systemD
-this is too autistic
-this is for children
Look, I get what Stallman wanted. He wants freedom of information, freedom of source code, freedom to change code to how you want. But this whole "but doesn't it fit MY identity" thing has gone too fucking far.

"too many variants" is not a problem. it never was and it never will be. especially not in the libre software world.

the real problem is that there isn't a single good one.

spot on.
unless you're developing i'd rather just use windows.

This. I decided to just use windows on my desktop with a Linux VM when I need it.

Linux on my lappytop all the way though.

I'm not even worried about the fragmented and narcissistic community. It's just the plain simple fact that it does not Just Work™ if you want to do anything remotely out of the ordinary web browsing and hentai fapping. There's ALWAYS a bug, a goddamn gamebreaking bug, in everything

>get education or enterprise, use gpo to disable updates, use O&O ShutUp10 to disable telemetry and other unwanted shit
So, is this the general consensus?

Thank you Pajeet. $0.10 has been deposited in your bank account.

Well memed

Get a Mac, it's UNIX and it's actually usable just like Windows

You're a funny guy

have fun with you 5 hour long updates, many crashed programs and security flaws which are inherent in windows.

I switched 100% to linux from windows 4 years ago and its the best choice ive ever made.

any sort of "cobbled together mess" you may experience is from lack of knowledge from the operator

>any sort of "cobbled together mess" you may experience is from lack of knowledge from the operator
Keep telling yourself that

Use 8.1,
10 is a buggy piece of shit and I'm upgrading to 8.1 pretty soon

Yes, get Education, it's better than Enterprise

Do you crack the activation or do you have to buy the key somewhere for education?

No idea, I got it for free from my school. It should be pretty cheap on ebay though

W10 is a bigger mess thanks to the great corporate "culture" at MS.
You can screw up your life as you want but it doesn't mean W10 will be a better OS.

Why? I thought they were the same

t. retard

Great answer

FreeBSD is whole and complete OS, you could try that if it supports your hardware.

>windows 10 still feels like a cobbled together mess
FTFY faggot

Go drink some bleach, you dumb fucking shit stain.

Stop using huge, bloated distros put together by somebody else. If it breaks, you should have broken it. Arch, Gentoo, Debian minimal, Slackware, Linux from Scratch and all those other distros are for you.

get enterprise, education or ltsb

I use arch with cinnamon. I've never broken anything major. The problem is with everything that is already broken

You could also try Windows Server 2016. I think the windows store and parts of cortana are disabled by default.

kys bastard

>filename related.

Shouldn't a Os be transparent to the end user?

Is there any downside to using Windows 10 Enterprise for gaming?

Nope absolutely not. Its just works™

Yes. This is the way to go

Mac just purchased UNIX license, FreeBSD is more UNIX than Solaris, OS X and HP-UX itself, FreeBSD just didn't paid for license. And btw OS X took the code for VFS, Network Stack and some userland shit from FreeBSD.

The only "untouched" enterprise iso I can find is a tech bench dump on MDL but it says insider preview. Do I or do I not want that? Isn't that their beta

And not just Mac, SunOS is basically BSD with some features added. And SunOS is basis for Solaris, its fucking irony and pity to see OpenBSD, NetBSD and FreeBSD as not certified UNIX systems. They just didn't gave money for certification.

Indeed, OP. I'm currently on Ubuntu Mate. It's nice for my Thinkpad, with it being such a retro style of laptop.

But also
>Wifi icon currently doesn't say I'm connected to any network even though I am
This is just one typical random Linux glitch of many that just makes the whole thing feel thrown together without the quality control that comes from paying money to developers.

I also know that if I went for a more modern style laptop with high res display, it'll be full of inconsistencies in how applications and toolkits handle it. It's bad enough already when you can tell "ah I'm running a Qt application on my GTK desktop" or whatever.
I know Windows has DPI issues as well, but at least it has a clear way forward, where Linux is full of free software projects competing like businesses instead of working together like all the warm fuzzy OSS stuff seemed to intend.

Sorry, forgot tip.

Install Chocolatey first, then get what software you can via that. That way you can have the equivalent of 'apt upgrade' (or whatever other Linux distro command) and not have quite as much of the pain of every bit of software pestering you to update independently. It makes using Windows much more tolerable.

> (OP)
>It's like the progressive-genders-list of OSs.
Saving this for future use, ty user

GraciaS

Fuck these Lincuck neckbearded virgins in their Mommy's basements. Win10 is solid, stable and fast. WSL gives you a *NIX playground to get work done. Linux is for headless machines only unless it has a robust UI like Android.

These distro DEs these faggots lust over suck stank nuts. Constant crashes, ugly UI, security vulnerabilities.

Oh yeah, that's another thing, these Linux distros have MASSIVE security holes. I work for a security company we see them all God damned day long.

Fuck off Lintards

Unless you need the store there are a lot of us who prefer LTSB(10 Ent LTSB or Svr 2016). Sometimes build upgrades tend to screw up for some reason especially if your hardware is older.

learn to use the local group policy editor
maybe deactivate all animations

Fucking all of this. HighDPI on Linux is an absolute disaster. Anyone who claims it works is a liar or blind.