Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Procedural-cosmetic-filters#subjecthasarg
samsung.com/us/business/support/owners/product/LS23WHUKFK/ZA
accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-AHGF
asus.com/us/Monitors/MG248Q/
pcpartpicker.com/list/pMknNN
wiki.debian.org/Keyboard
help.ubuntu.com/community/Custom keyboard layout definitions?action=show&redirect=Howto: Custom keyboard layout definitions
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-16-04-alongside-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/
thewindowsclub.com/fix-unable-to-boot-the-system-with-error-code-0x490-with-windows-startup-repair
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just found out that MS still allows free Windows 10 upgrades.
microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade

So I pulled out all my old PCs and I'm running the upgrade to license them, but one is telling me that the CPU is not compatible. Its a Pentium D Presler. wtf ms

Is there a way to force the upgrade anyway?

Which VST is good to start with if you're a beginner?

i got a xeon e31230v5. you can only oc by turning up the base clock. i gave got it to 4ghz. anyone got it to anything higher?

mpc-hc or mpc-be?

Could electronics be damaged if they're used while a power cord is loosely connected?
I accidentally pulled out my router's AC adapter slightly yesterday while I was cleaning it. I continued browsing the internet for a couple hours with intermittent connection issues before I noticed the problem.

I'm planning on buying a new PC /sqt/, but I've been pretty much out of the loop for the past ~5 years

Here's my current PC:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.2ghz)
8 gigs of ram
Geforce 9800GT (it's humiliating, I know)

Is anything worth keeping at all? Or just trash the whole thing and start over from scratch? My budget is about 350-400 dollars.

Upgrade the whole set, but if you're not planning on gaming you can keep the 8gb of ram.

You can eBay Flagship parts for your gen, and max everything out on the cheap.

Example, Get the Black Edition Phenom X4 9850B on eBay. Its like $30.
Max out your RAM
Look on Craigslist for anyone selling a SLI video card setup. I recently saw a pair of GTX 680s go for $200. Or you can find a cheapo 980TI for around $300ish.
Oh, and upgrade to an SSD. That will be the single best speed boost.

is 8 gigs of ram enough for 1080p high-medium gaming?

The 9850 is a Phenom 1 you mongoloid.

Need some outside perspective.

Got a job offer at IBM, Fidelity and Forcepoint. Does anyone have experience from either company about their culture or work environment? All jobs are in IT (cyber security) but was wondering if anyone have some info about either and how they work within

How stupid of an idea is it to modify my locale to show the year as "current year + 2"?

no you need 16 to at least support chrome

Yes.
I'm running 8GB DDR4 and its more than enough to max out any game at 1080p

So the PC has a Pentium D 820, and the upgrade utility tells me its not compatible.
I have seen Windows 10 run on Pentium D.

I can buy a 960 for $30 on eBay right now. Should I?

i decided to try some google alternative and my choice was the startpage
everything works fine except for image results
(it's not because ublock or umatrix)
what went wrong?

My bad. Fine. Phenom II X4 980

$65 shipped on eBay

I want to dual boot. How many partitions do I need to make in Windows for Linux? Is one enough?
My idea of it: partition C: with Win OS and partition D: for other Win files; partition E: for Linux OS - is that enough? Does the Linux divide the 3rd partition I set in Windows itself or do I need to do it myself?

I recently installed powerline ethernet in my house since my router is a bit too far from my desktop to play online games well over wifi. However, maybe once or twice a night, the connection will crap out for 5-10 minutes before seemingly being fixed on it's own. This does not happen over wifi (although that connection is obviously consistently worse) and it didn't happen when I ran a longass ethernet cable to my desktop as a test. Any ideas on things I could try to resolve this? Or is this just a known issue with powerline ethernet?

you can do partitioning with linux instalator
you can also install linux on one partition but (if that matters for you) it'd be better to separate / from /home. (also /swap if not enough RAM or /boot if you want to use "exotic" filesystem)

You don't make partitions for Linux in Windows anyway. You only make empty space on the drive.
Make sure to read a guide.

I'm trying to create a uBlock Origin element filter to hide reposts on soundcloud. I have the appropriate selector figured out to find the list items which are reposts (pic related), but how to I now block those items at the .activity or .soundList__item level? Is this even possible?

Here's the selector:
.soundList__item > .activity > .streamContext > .soundContext > .soundContext__line > .soundContext__repost

How would I enable FreeSync on an Asus MG248Q?

I would like to have it via Displayport, but it's only 1.2 and I've been told it's only on 1.3 and above.

Something in your house is causing interference on your power lines. Could be anything, try to figure out what's turning on at the times you experience interruptions.

What's the best site to build computer around 700 euros? I mean if i'd have to ship parts because i live in europe.

pcpartpicker.com
you can change your location on the top right

I just got a laptop what do?

github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Procedural-cosmetic-filters#subjecthasarg
.soundList__item:has(.soundContext__repost)

Laptop things.

The Pentium D supports everything Windows 10 is asking for.
NX is enabled in the BIOS, and I even force enabled it in the cmd promt. Still wont allow me to upgrade to Windows 10.

perfect, thanks user

I mean i'm not from 1st world country, so that might be a problem.

ADSL? Most likely your filter, too easy to break those fuckers.

I have a laptop with Windows installed and no visible product key. How do I test whether I like Linux on it without having to infringe copyright to go back?

use a livecd

speccy should tell you your cd key, or there's a vbs script you can run to get it

nobody?

just use duck duck go like a normal person

okay but i'm curious what could cause such an effect

could be the browsers rendering, custom css, window scaling, their shitty scaling, your DE being fucked, who knows.

If it's only that site, it could be just them not supporting your browser version.

have you visited that page before?
I see a white background, yours is blue.
if you did, then an old stylesheet might be still cached in your browser.
Try Ctrl-F5.

that's not it
>it could be just them not supporting your browser version
yeah, it's probably this. tho it could be some add-on as well as i tried a vanilla one

How the hell do I read www.spec.org? I want to find the most computationally powerful processor but I don't understand the charts. How can I tell what manufacturer they're from? It seems like they're all Intel.

So I finally got the hdmi wire for my 24mp68 monitor and enabled freesync on it, but in doing so, the screen moves up and comes out from ther bottom.

This only affects windows, but not the games on it.

So I just upgraded my rig with ram, new cpu, new gpu, and new PSU, and while it works when I restart it I have to turn the PSU on and off a few times and it will say, "system failed to boot several times" and then it will load without issue. What gives?

>mpc
i'd also like to know

Here's a picture of the two monitors with printscreen

speccy must have gutted the feature and the vbs script just prints a bunch of Bs.

What tools would you recommend I buy to clean my PC? I know you need canned air but I'm useless when it comes to deciding what to buy, so anything specific would be appreciated.

It sounds as though you have a corporate version of Windows, since there's no key in your registry files. These only offer a one-time install and to get the key you'll need to contact the people that installed it onto your machine.

So instead what you can do is create a separate partition with Linux and when you boot up your PC you will be asked which OS you wish to use.

Nevermind, I solved it.

It was an error in the monitor properties and having one of the windows moved along with a bug with having the monitor snapshotting it when you enable it.

Works in firefox here

>Press power switch to turn on computer
>Fans spin for half a second, then stop
>About five seconds pass
>Computer turns on, boots normally

What the actual fug

Let's say you're a digital painter/animator who uses Photoshop and wants to make games so it would be nice to have accurate colors BUT you also play a crapload of shooters and have never experienced playing games 144 FPS on a 144 Hz monitor and want to make games that operate at this speed.

And let's say the best monitor you have ever used is this:
samsung.com/us/business/support/owners/product/LS23WHUKFK/ZA

~

Between the following two monitors, which one would you pick? Let's say they are the same price.

1) Dell Ultrasharp 24" InfinityEdge Monitor U2417H (IPS panel @ 60 Hz)
accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-AHGF

2) ASUS MG248Q 24" LED Gaming Monitor (TN panel @ 144 Hz)
asus.com/us/Monitors/MG248Q/

first pc build. Where can i trim the pricing a little? to be used as a gaming pc and general web surfer.
pcpartpicker.com/list/pMknNN

What's the best free/easily pirated IDE?

get a H110 motherboard and a cheaper case

IDE for what?

Fact, but don't skimp on RAM (quality that is, not quantity, anything over 8gb is a meme unless you do video editing or VM stuff a lot.), those things are fucky bastards and the extra spent will save you a lot of trouble.

Sorry, I wasn't very specific.
C++/C#/Java at least, with a compiler.

visual studio community, intellj IDEA, visual studio code

all free.

You contact a big box store and see which model is their most popular.

Thanks.

Would anybody help me identify what keyboard layout this is? I'm running debian and all of the secondary function keys dont work or are binded to the wrong key.

what would be "quality" RAM? complete newb sorry

WD Blue is $10 cheaper than the Segate and generally better quality. If all your SDD is going to be is OS + a few select programs, then 120GB will suit you instead of 250GB. Your case can come WAY down in price, around to $50-80. No need for a $140 case.

That alone should save you $100+

There's also not a ton of point in the Z series motherboard if you aren't getting a -K series CPU (and don't plan on getting one), so you can settle for an H series mobo. Should be another $30-50 knocked off there too at least.

Put it on your lap.

how much space does each partition take? let's say i have 100 GB to distribute

what is going on here?

VM

It's groaning and telling you "5 more seconds".
Almost every computer I've used does this; mine does it. It could be one of a few reasons, either A) it runs on a curve and just stores the last value before shutdown, and just goes to that value when it turns on. ii) the voltage change caused it to turn its fans on in preparation. Or 3) the computer just turns everything on to test if they're alive or there, which causes the CPU to think it has a heavy load. It could be any one of those, I don't know.

Intellij is good. Unless you want to download 16 TiB of random microsoft crap bundled together, stay away from visual code. Unfortunately, most average people don't share that sentiment, so if it's marketability you're going after, get used to visual studio.

>look up "linux change keyboard layout"
>first result is debian wiki
I swear to God this spooks me out every time.
This will probably solve your problem. wiki.debian.org/Keyboard (I'm saying just rebind your keys or make your own layout, but I'm not really sure how easy/practical this is)

dang i was hoping that there was just a keybindings file i could download and be done with this problem.

hookay.

So I have this PC with DVI out, and no spare monitor to connect it to.

I need to get into it. RDP is not setup on it, I dont have a windows password.

How can I blindly power it on, and get RDP working. I know the gpedit you need to do to remote in without a password, but I dont know if I can blindly do that.

Maybe power it on, ctrl alt del, and set a windows password from there? and hope that RDP is enebaled in system.

suggestions?

Seems like an odd thing for a debian user to say. Here's a link to help you create your own keyboard layout, since that's the obvious first step.
help.ubuntu.com/community/Custom keyboard layout definitions?action=show&redirect=Howto: Custom keyboard layout definitions (ctrl+f, create. That is, if you can "ctrl" your ctrl button)

When i install Ubuntu or an other Linux based OS with Dualboot parallel to Windows 7. can i easyly delete my ubuntu Installation when i want to get rid of it?

Also: Do i need a second Partition for it?

How do I play webm in safari?

yeah, second partition, and if you want to get rid of it, just delete the partition and reclaim the space by expanding your windows partition

Just don't get the cheapest RAM you see,
Update: Needed to flash some new bios firmware, luckilly there was an easy utility for that so it was a snap.

Be honest, how bad is it Sup Forums? I took it off to repaste on the advice of someone here but the metal part tore clean off.

The pins are still good so could I just solder it back on somehow? I need to get it installed again before the boss comes back, its running a legacy server application for the store.

Xubuntu is buggy. It'll sometimes not load up after sleep, and it'll loop forever while shutting down until it eventually crashes(?) on occasion. Should I reinstall it?

No you should replace it with Fedora.

>wayland

Do but make sure to back up anyway. It's probably safe, but there's really only a couple ways you can fuck up everything, and this is close to one of those ways.

>Do you see someone's address when you buy from them, or just their name and contact info?
Isn't this the type of question you should ask before you sell something? Are you in a hurry to sell something illegal? I'm asking because you're in a hurry, trying to evade a question, and don't want your address to be seen. If so, I'd recommend just returning the money and cancelling the order. After that, do your research and then sell it again. If this is actually legal, google that question I quoted, and if the answer is "no", just continue with the sale.

>I need to get it installed again before the boss comes back
Not happening. You can't solder the pins back on for one, and two, you're doing this on carpet and you just set down a CPU on a carpet. I get this is probably bait, but just in case it's not, you deserve to be fired for not following protocol and asking your boss for their advice.

May as well. Just save your config files for whatever programs you have opened RIGHT NOW and leave everything else. (also obviously save personal files, etc.)

I followed this pastebin to install Windows 7.

pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

I am trying to activate Windows 7 using the loader from the pastebin, but an error in red appears when I run it saying "Unsupported Partition Table."

How do I get around this so I can activate Windows 7?

Is there a youtube no country redirect extension for chrome? i hate using the cucknadian edition

just duct tape the metal bit back on, it'll be fine

is NVMe a meme or is it actually good?
rebuilding soon, thinking of replacing my boot drive

How do I download linux(probably ubuntu) on my windows 10 computer. Ideally I would want a dual boot system so I could run one or the other, I need Linux for a program for research

Updated from my s2
what apps do normies use

google play store

>gapps

tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-16-04-alongside-with-windows-10-or-8-in-dual-boot/
it's good

What in the fuck causes a soft brick on an S7 edge. I try not to download bullshit, just a simple root, and a removal of bloatware. Nothing out of the ordinary.

normies don't use gapps?

Error 0x490, windows 7. Restored gho to vmdk. Can't boot. Safe mode doesn't work. Pls halp I'm doing this for money

on mpv, can i assume that pic related means that my shaders loader correctly?

Try thewindowsclub.com/fix-unable-to-boot-the-system-with-error-code-0x490-with-windows-startup-repair

If it still fails to boot then search Google for Windows boot error 490 and try different solutions

Hello Sup Forums!

I was lurking Sup Forums today and I came across a thread about Nintendo's plan to have a paid online service.
The one one thing constantly said back and forth is that "Nintendo shouldn't charge a fee for online when it is so cheap!"

Now I know that thread is just a rant thread and I know that Sup Forums hates video games but it got me thinking...

Is cheap to maintain an online service?

I assume not when servicing up to millions of people at any given day, but a common comparison is to Valve and how they don't charge a fee. What do you think?

Thanks giving the time to read and answer this.
~Lurker

Pic unrelated, but still one of my favorites

Early Pentium Ds have a bug in the CMPXCHG16B instruction, which 10 requires to be working.

Will humans ever travel the stars?