>install exherbo

Windows/OS X

fedora 25

Windows 10

Solus

funtoo

it's like gentoo, but fun!

Ubuntu

reason why you get so much conflicting information, is that you have to finish your sentence.

>Distro that just werks
>Distro that just werks (for me)
>Distro that just works (for me (and I am a super autistic dropout fuck) )

dropout-fuck distros do indeed appear to "just werk" if you are a dropout-fuck

install gentoo

i don't know about most others, but i really like Linux Mint 18 with its easy as shit packet manager and the easy to use download center, that actually works instead of standard Ubuntu shit

>inb4 shill
he literally asked

gen2

Linux Mint

Except if you want to use a printer. In that case it will fuck your shit up

In my opinion no distro "just werks" from the start. Without solving problems which are individual for specific hardware Linux is installed on, it hardly ever works flawlessly out of the box. The question is: can the user resolve the obstacles?

>projecting

by "just werks" I'm talking about sound, graphics, wifi and shit. I will run wangblows VMs on it anyways so I'm not gonna fiddle with it alot.

Linux Mint

>inb4 hurr durr backdoors

Linux from Scratch.

OS X. It has a learning curve, it's unstable, some features don't even work right compared to windows, and the options for the most annoying "features" (like workspace auto switching) are hidden in the command line only "defaults" system.

It's just like linux except it just werks

Crunchbag

OpenSuse Tumbleweed just werks desu

>mfw plebs don't program their own OS
have fun with your botnet and shitty drivers

Beginner friendly distros like Ubuntu/Linux Mint allow to test hardware in terms of multimedia by running them in so called 'live' mode (system resides only in operating memory and doesn't "touch" anything on hard drive). If everything works fine in this mode you may start installing it permanently.

Fuck off jew.
Install OpenBSD.

Depends whether you suffer from severe mental retardation.

I assume you're a Windows user, so Zorin OS.
It literally just werks for people like you.

Im gonna go full fucking stallman, drop chrome, wangblows 10 and all that botnet bullshit and actually install noscript like a retard. fuck microsoft honestly

>"just werks"
first use? updates within it's lifespan (or forever for rolling release)? upgrade to next version?

beginner friendly distros are usually "just works" initially. once you try to upgrade to the next release, things start to fall apart. it's usually easier to just reinstall at that point.

distros like debian and rh take some more time to get going, but will be more likely to continue to work across versions.

rolling release distros will break (need config adjustments) sometimes, because that's how they work.

FreeDOS is the true and only "just works" OS

shut the fuck up

u mad bro?

u can even play games without any graphics driver

Pretty sure workspace autoswitching is something that can be disabled in GUI.

Yeah but for every feature that isn't there by design you have to purchase a shitty tool.

Like for "Aero Snap" or a editable firewall

Korora.

It's the only one I used that even had fingerprint auth out of the box along with everything else Just Working.

Korora is nice, I just hate RPM Fusion, those patents on multimedia software are a pain in the ass

Linux Mint
macOS

Manjaro. Tried all the rest of the basic newbie recommendations: Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Open Suse, Fedora, Xubuntu. None of them seemed to have a nice balance of friendly gui and advanced cli options like Mj. All of the buntu spins were buggy, didn't boot, or needlessly complicated actions with endless and questionable gui choices. My choice of graphics drivers are available on install. Userbase is knowledge and helpful. Just werked.

Debian
Linux Mint
OpenSuse
Ubuntu

LFS

Windows 7/10

there is none. even the common babby's first distros dont have working vsync out of the box

Install Gentoo?

A Ubuntu or it's derivatives work fine, avoid the shit out of Linux Mint, it's bloated slow and has terrible security

Debian falls pretty well into this category OP. Easy to use, extremely stable and reliable and not as pathetic as ubuntu. When you grow some testicles and a few brain cells, move up to a real man's OS.. i.e gentoo or Arch.

install source mage

Which takes maybe 5 minutes to Google, and then configure

This

Literally and unironically Debian.

my man. i hope you chose xfce.
wanted to shill Manjaro as well.

debian often has problems with wifi bc of proprietary drivers.
problems meaning it just doesnt werk out of the box

You can get a Debian installation image with the non-free drivers included.

Otherwise, they can be loaded off of a USB or CD during installation. The installer prompts you when it has detected you have hardware that requires non-free firmware.

Alternatively, you can enable non-free repos in your sources.list, then download the non-free firmware over ethernet.

That's three different, easy ways of going around that problem. Other than that, everything just works and is very unlikely to break.

>not using apt-get

>not using eopkg

On my x220 Fedora has worked perfectly from first install with no driver issues, hardware issues, or any issues at all. Has literally just werked right out of the box.

I had a good experience with fedora

kevin please leave

Not even memeing, but once you literally install gentoo it just works.

arch

literally takes 20 minutes to install

I hopped distros for years and landed on Fedora, have been happy ever since.

Sane defaults but high customizability and very up to date packages are what sets it apart. It's like an extremely well-configured arch install out of the box.

Try the XFCE spin for a taste of the true patrician life.

>not knowing you literally can use apt-get on mint out of the box

>just werks
Mint
Debian if you're careful and stick to the well-trodden path
NOT LMDE
Feladora
OpenSuSE

Obongo is botnet

Rather TrueOS. OpenBSD has many merits, but "just werking" isn't one of them.

Apart from the minor inconvenience of no multimedia support what so ever

Why would you use Fedora and not use GNOME w/Wayland? Given the vast attack surface X imposes on everything I fail to see why someone would chose to use an insecure, vulnerable display server over the superior, patricians choice that is Fedora/GNOME/Wayland/SELinux

Ubuntu

Ubuntu.
Or if the interface is too much of a departure for you to adjust to, Ubuntu Mate.

I might say Mint too, but they've been having security issues recently.

elementaryOS

end this thread already holy fuck

Someone give them a sandwich or two. For each. Not one to share.

There is no such one. Gnu+Poonix is shit.