/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Standardization Edition

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

General Tips:
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider substituting an i5 for an i7 if you are not a content creator
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Always consider an SSD for your build, the difference between one and an HDD is night and day

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with
Remember: Be nice and courteous, but don't tolerate people who don't accept help.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCCss3QxegBkF8BAetIo0qXA?&ab_channel=TechDeals
amazon.com/Acer-GN246HL-Bbid-24-Inch-Display/dp/B00KO4518I
pcpartpicker.com/list/Vs9Y2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/49hLbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/pJF9RG
pcpartpicker.com/list/GCQGd6
pcpartpicker.com/list/6GDdJV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Any suggestions for table or similar microphone? Already happy with my Senn HD202's for headphones, so looking for something nicely priced for bang for buck. Better then shit, but not audioautist tier.

I remember a friend suggesting I buy a used or refurbished snowball off of amazon, but that was years ago. $20-30 looking to spend.

Is there any sigificant difference between the many gtx 1070s?

there are a few below $400USD now, so Im wondering whats so special about the rest.

Not really, different brands use different coolers and make use a PCB with more or less VRMs and such, but the pascal series already runs cool and power delivery has been more than adequate for all the major 1070s
I got a $380 Gigabyte 1070 card and it overclocked to 2.1GHz, stays below 75° during benchmarks

hello Sup Forums, I've come up with a build and i wanna hear everyone's opinion on it before buying it. I don't plan doing any overclocking.
I still haven't picked a monitor, I was thinking something 1080p, 144Hz, about 24'', not too expensive ofcourse.

Anyway, here's what I've come up with:
processor:
Intel CPU Desktop Core i5-6500 (3.2GHz, 6MB,LGA1151)
motherboard:
MSI B150M Mortar (s1151, USB 3.1, SATA III, LAN, DDR4) mATX
RAM:
Crucial DRAM 8GB DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) CL15 SR
HDD:
WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Blue (3.5", 1TB, 64MB, SATA III-600)
graphics card:
Sapphire RX480 Nitro OC 4GB GDDR5
case:
Fractal Core 2500
PSU:
Fortron Hyper 600W, 80+

balanced?

Looks nice, get an small-medium sized SSD and look into freesync monitors, as I feel like that 480 won't be hitting 144fps very often
Look for a PSU with 80+ bronze at least, I don't know how much yours is but I can image anything quality being more than $10 extra

Is that 2x4 ram or 1x8?
Get 1x8 and remember exactly what model of ram you bought, ITX motherboards only have two ram slots and you don't want to be stuck at 8GB when the demands inevitably increase, you could just get one upgrade stick instead of replacing both stick

Apparently ASUS ROG Strix is the best 1070, and then Gigabyte G1. The Windforce is tempting because it's below $400 and is the coolest, the quietest.

I'm still not sure which of these to get

Get the cheapest, I did and it's outperforming essentially any 1070 on the market right now
Cooling doesn't mean jack shit for pascal anymore, I bet the single slot 1070 would run just as well as the $500 uvergaymenmaximoFTW card
Just gotta win the lottery

And noise can be easily fixed with aftermarket fans if it really bugs you

Gigabyte G1 gaming has a lot of people with bad coil whine issues
My windforce whines maybe 1% of the time, there only two programs I have that make it whine and one of them is a benchmark

The Asrock Z170 mobo I ordered wasn't in stock for a long time so I changed the order for a Gigabyte one.
Did I fuck up or not? It ended up being a little more expensive (Yurop) and the gaymen design is kinda meh, but it's actually got pretty decent reviews.
All I really care about on a mobo is good VRM and non-shit integrated sound, and it looks like the Gigabyte one is a bit better at both (even though the Asrock has more phases).

I've never had problems with Gigabyte across like 6 different builds. The only thing I can honestly say I don't like is their BIOS layout.

I'm completely new to PC building so I don't know what most of the shit are.

How important is backplate and a third fan? Because the Windforce is missing one fan and backplate compared to the Gigabyte G1.

Are there real world performance difference (affected by those)?

Third fan would make it cooler (which isn't a problem with 1070s), and maybe allow them to run more slowly (quieter)
The backplate is for aesthetics and preventing GPU sag, which only happens after long periods of time and affects nothing

Here's my current build. Suggestions?

I mainly have two concerns:

Should I upgrade to Kaby Lake (7600k) and a Z270 MoBo?

Also, How do I pick a MoBo and GPU once I've decided on a chipset? What makes a particular Z170 or GTX 1060 better than another?

Thanks for any help.

People here seem to like Windforce

>Should I upgrade to Kaby Lake (7600k) and a Z270 MoBo?
Kaby Lake is a car crash in slow motion, don't bother with CPUs. Motherboards are at least okay and they'll still work with Skylake chips.

Sure, but is there really a reason to use a Z270 over a Z170 if I'm not using Kaby Lake?

no
unless you plan on hopping on Intel Optane memory meme

>tfw waiting for muh parts
couldn't afford a GPU but will be getting pic related when possible.

how did I do

Do the Vega cards have any chance of coming out in the next 2 months?

I'm already ordering the parts I don't think I can wait any more.

Im using a Z170 board with a Kaby Lake CPU.

this is possible since Kaby and Sky lake are essentially the same. Kaby have a few more features, but for general purpose stuff and gaming there isnt much of a difference. I went with a i5 7600k only because my old computer was from 8ish years ago, with Q6600 cpu. So an extra $20 wasnt a big deal for slight improvements (that i likely wont even notice) over the i5 6600k.

However to use a Kaby lake CPU in z170board you need to first update the motherboards Bios with a Skylake CPU.... without one, a Z170 and Kabylake wont work together.

so if you dont have a skylake chip you have access to, either pay more now for some slight upgrades on kabylake and z270 boards or just stick with skylake z170.

>What makes a particular Z170 or GTX 1060 better than another?
z boards allow overclocking and have more lanes to the cpu so more stuff can be connected to it.
And if you plan to overclock, having more power phases seems to be important

1060 - great for 1080p over 60fps in current games
1070 - 1440p over 60fps in most games
1080 - you hate your money :3

disclaimer: im new, just finished my first build after a billion hours of youtube videos and reviews.

what are you going to play?

ive been watching a lot of Tech Deals on yotube, and you should be fine at 1080p if you turn some settings down, even newer games.

Especially if you are going to play CS:Go or Overwatch... since you can play those things on an Electric Birthday Card.

youtube.com/channel/UCCss3QxegBkF8BAetIo0qXA?&ab_channel=TechDeals

thoughts ?

I can get a 1080 for €499, should i get it to replace my og 970 or wait for vega ?

Overwatch and emulators is all I need. Other than that I just do programming.

I'm hoping the IGPU will suffice, at least in lowest settings, until I can get the dedicated card.

nice video game consoles

Question since I wouldn't know where else to ask and didn't wanna make a thread.

How often do you guys dust out your PC with cans of air and how often do you do a full pull apart of your PC for cleaning?

I personally do a full blast dusting with my electric duster every 3rd of the month and was debating on doing a yearly pull apart w/ cleaning at the end of the year.

I would advice against disassembling the PC, things could get fucked or something. Unless it's really really dirty, which would be weird desu

>Just about ready to start building
>Forgot about ordering a new display cable for this motherboard's video out
>I don't have a GPU to use because I don't play gaymes
I just check the dust filters every few weeks or so and clean them with a hair dryer. Sometimes I check inside my case and wipe around with a paper towel and isopropyl alcohol. I use the hair dryer for the CPU heatsink too.

Do you use dust filters for all your fans?
Debating on putting some on my exhaust fans.

My current build is in a Define R5 and there's only dust filters for the front intakes and the bottom intakes. Kind of a dumb idea to put dust filters on exhaust fans since the dust is being blown out anyway.

So I think this is the tread to ask. I'm looking to upgrade my shitty ass rig.
But all I know about this stuff is shit I got from youtube.

I got a decent graphic card and power supply about a year ago when they failed, now I'm looking to get a decent CPU, which means new motherboard and new ram.

These are what I'm planning on getting:
>Intel Core i7-6700K (4 GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 8 MB cache, LGA1151 Socket Box)
>MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, S-1151
>HyperX Fury Black DDR4 2x8GB 2400MHz

As far as I can tell they are all compatible with each other but I'm not entirely sure if they're compatible with the rest of my computer.
Can anyone spot any problem of am I good to just order?

You can get much faster ram with your Z170, 3000mhz is usually a decent price
And how expensive is that motherboard? Don't fall into the idiot-trap of paying $200-400 for a motherboard

Also you'll need a decent cooler if you're running a stock one

look into an SSD man, the difference truly is day and night. imagine booting into windows in a quarter of the time it took me to write this post.
this is the monitor I recently got, its not freesync though it is cheap:
amazon.com/Acer-GN246HL-Bbid-24-Inch-Display/dp/B00KO4518I

>press power button
>turn on monitor
>booted, at the desktop by the time I sit down
I don't know why people think speed is a meme just because it costs 50% more per anime stored on it

The motherboard is around 150$.
I kind of purposely held back on the ram with the intent on upgrading later on, you think its worth it to go for something better?

Will my current one not suffice?
I assume you mean cpu cooler, I hadn't really thought of that.

No joke, I thought it was just something you can add later as a side at first but it's really fucking good to boot windows from
The only problem is their price tho

what is your current cooler?

Don't think speccy can tell me much more than the fan speed, which is 1695 RPM.
Says Intel E33661-001 on the label. Sounds like a stock fan, I'm guessing that'll be insufficient?

yeah, Intel stock fans are pretty shit. if you're looking for budget, the hyper 212 evo is cheap and effective, albeit with a rather clunky installation process.

how is the PNY GeForce GTX 1070 8GB XLR8?

That's actually really cheap, it looks pretty clunky though.

Is there any down side of going with something like Cryorig C7 CPU Cooler?
It looks like it'll be much easier to attach and build around while at a similar price.

What should I even be looking at when picking a cooler? RPM, Air-pressure?

That's not a bad one but the tower style coolers are usually better than low profile cooling
Either way just get something that isn't what you have, the stock cooler is loud and just enough cooling for the locked CPUs, to overclock you'll want a better one (but don't spend over $40 on one, you don't need the best cooling to overclock a 6700k nicely anyways)

Something with a replaceable fan would be nice, you just want a big heatsink and quality fan

I'd personally go for a top-down cooler (or C cooler) like that Cryorig. The reason is that pre-Core i Intels had Northbridges that ran pretty hot. A C-cooler would bring additional airflow down around the NB area for a bit more cooling.

Good thing he's getting a Z170 and skylake setup

Oh right, he's upgrading from a Core2. Never mind then.

After looking into is for a bit, the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo seems to be the best cooler for its price that has relativity low noise while still having decent RPM which I assume means its the better choice.
It's also pretty slim which is good since the MSI Z170A apparently has a bit tighter clearance than other motherboards to make room for the pointless led thing.

Thanks for the recommendation, pretty sure I know everything I'll be getting now.
Time to start ordering stuff.

Sorry, I'm talking about what makes a particular Z170 board better than another Z170 board.

Like, A Gigabyte Z170 vs. an MSI Z170, or even the different Gigabyte Z170 offerings.

Honest question, why don't I hear more talk about X99 boards. Is it the 2011v3 processors? I feel so alone.

Most people are either too poor to afford them or are just building gaymen PCs.

What's up Knickers

pcpartpicker.com/list/Vs9Y2R

I mean, that'll work...I guess. Okayest build ever.

>Upgrading from Q6600 to 7600

Are you me? I thought I was the only one still running a dinosaur. It held up well ya? Mind posting your build?

hey /pcbg/ i just pulled this qt out of storage
last time i turned her on was in 94
im seriously thinking about turning it into a sleeper modem day pc
may even try to get a key startup for her

any recommendations?

pcpartpicker.com/list/49hLbj

You guys are faggots

Go ahead and waste your money to win the fight over who is poorer.

Don't give a shit about spending money. My dad is jewish, nigger.

I've obvoiusly been BTFO'd. Let me just BTFO, then.

Look at all this money I'm saving.

pcpartpicker.com/list/pJF9RG

are kabylakes good? i was goona go with i-6500, but im just looking and i should just go with the fresh i-7600

Anyone know any good clean cases for a hackintosh? leaning towards the enthoo envolv but not too sold on it yet

I want a $500-599 rig that I'll be able to upgrade a year or two from now. Does that mean I should get a really nice Mobo now?

No, just get an i5-6600K and OC to 4.5Ghz like a normal person.

Yes, get a GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3 and you're set to throw all budget shit on that and work your way up.

Nigga get a G4400 and stop being retarded.
Also, get 2x 4GB Ballistix sport ram instead if you're going budget RAM.

That'll make your build like $20 more but worth it.

Thanks! Is there a go to case for that Mobo?

If you want something sexy and cheap, get a NZXT s340. I love it so far and it's really spacious, you can fit anything in it.

If price isn't a problem when it comes to cases, get the Elite edition with the tempered glass side panel because it's fucking gorgeous.

Whoa that's cheap and better looking than the crap logical Inc recommends

posted something similar once, was called a faggot and the list was called meme parts...

I bought a 7600k and a z270 mobo due to no local computer store stocking the 6600k.

I also aint waiting any longer for Another Massive Dissapointment

I buy the cheapest case available and just add speed holes.

Pic is my current CPU ;-;. I've more or less decided on the parts I'm getting, bought half of them already: pcpartpicker.com/list/GCQGd6
>i7-7700K
Has a bit of a higher clock, making it easier to reach decent OC. Some people were saying Kaby Lake is binned Skylake chips, idk though, it's nearly identical to 6700K in price so w/e.
>Cooler
It's a cooler, good reviews.
>Mobo
Judging from reviews, this board seemed to be the best Z170 ITX board on the market. inb4 why z170 instead of b150, etc. Has the features I want.
>RAM
It's RAM, nothing flashy
>Storage
I ordered one PNY CS1311 120GB, but two arrived; called Amazon Customer Support, they said keep it. Already installed Win7 from an .iso and used Windows Loader for it to be "genuine."
>GPU
Idk, just seemed like a decent deal at the time. At least w/ new drivers, it's about the same as a 1060.
>Case
Great reviews, only thing I'm worried about is the proximity of the graphics card to the PSU.
>PSU
It's a PSU w/ good reviews, don't need more that 550W.
If you have any constructive criticism, I'd appreciate it. Don't critique purchased parts cause I already bought them.

Kaby Lake is only bad if you already have a decent CPU and are trying to get decent improvement. If he's a first time builder, he should be fine getting the 7600K.

This.
Too many memesters around here.

You may need a skylake cpu to update bios on a 100 series board to work with kaby lake.

Check the bios version of the board and look onlibe to see if it is compatible without needing to uoadate it.

Worst case scenario, I grab a skylake celeron and update bios. Currently trying to figure out if the Z170I has support for the Asus bios flashback utility, which wouldn't requrie me to have a skylake cpu installed to update bios.
www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-kaby-lake-bios-update,32813.html
Thanks, btw

Anyone here know a thing or two about watercooling parts ?

Specifically, fittings. I have an EK-XLC Predator 360 that I would really like to use because of the way the reservoir and pump are mounted to the radiator. I RMA'd it once because the old unit started leaking and, well, the replacement unit was leaking out of the box as it turns out.

So, do EKWB's fittings suck a bag of dicks, or was this one just improperly assembled ?
Which fittings should I get to replace them, partly for aesthetic reasons ? I was looking at Bitspower, but they're twice the price of EKWB's fittings. Are they that much better ?

I know that you can get wicked temps

Can anyone give me some advice if this is decent?

I need a temporary build for since I sold my 4th gen rig because of some stuff which has been sorted out now. I just need a decent rig that will last me a year or two, I already have a GTX 1060, NZXT case and a Seasonic PSU from the old rig. Does this look ok? I was planning to use the stock cooler but unsure if it's okay, I'd like to save much money as possible for funds in Uni.

BTW I chose the Z270 because of the audio ports, I have a pretty decent 5.1 speaker and needs the audio ports for it but can't find any other mobo cheaper with the ports.

Right now i have Xeon E5430, 4GBDDR3 ram and HD7850 OC to 1050Mhz/1450Mhz. Will upgrade to G4400 or x4 845 worth it? Or should i wait for zen or G4560 becoming more avaiable in my country?

Bitfenix prodigy

Maybe, but not that wicked. Whatever that is, it's not water.

I have a backplate on my GTX 770 and it doesn't prevent sagging at all. I had to put together a support for the card, because it triggered my autism

Dual core isn't a good idea tbqh

Literally everything these days is optimized for 4 cores, and any Intel quad core bought now is going to last you many years.

How do I pick a good non-gaming oriented mobo? Do all the "skylake compatible" mobos use UEFI? I only want to install Ubuntu minimal core on it which doesn't work with UEFI.

Of course that works with UEFI.

So Sup Forums i am planning on building a PC by using 8 bit microcontrollers. For example i am keen on making it be able to browse files from a USB thumb drive and have an sdcard to serve as its internal harddrive. I will be using an atxmega as the core smaller atmegas and attinys to interface with other components such as wifi card (planning on using ESP8266) and i2c bus (attiny have a built in one), etc.
I am however boggled about what to use for display. On the internet numerous people have succeeded in generating various kinds of video signals, VGA, RCA, you name it. I have absolutely no idea about video signals, so i dont know how i would go about accomplishing this. I want my computer to have one main screen something like one of those Nokia color LCDs and another display out to a bigger screen.
Also another problem is external ram. What should i get? I have never used external ram before since i somehow managed with the internal ram, but this time, even if i want to drive a bare minimum 320x240 8 bit color screen, i would require a staggering amount of ram, almost 650KB. What should i do?

There's plenty of recovery programs online, can't remember the exact name because the last time this fucking happened to me was 2011 because I'm stupid in using flash drives, I have a functioning 16gb flash from the same year and still works fine.

whoops wrong reply sorry senpai

The picture is what im currently on.

this is what i threw together between Black Friday and Kaby Lake. :3 lots of sales.
its sitting next to me awaiting a gpu.
pcpartpicker.com/list/6GDdJV

pny 1070 is a place holder since Im waiting for Nier: Automata, so i can wait for AMD to do something or watch the prices drop a little. not sure if i should wait for Vega or if they will just be a disappointment.

Oh it says it runs in BIOS compatibility mode. That doesn't sound like it should be a problem right?

Your motherboard can do that, yeah. They all should be able to.
You can also just add the required files for UEFI boot to the Ubuntu minimal installer, it's not difficult. Google "ubuntu minimal uefi" for a guide if you want, but you just gotta copy the EFI/UEFI directory over from any of the other ISOs and it works.

Why is Anti-glare shit?

>trying to remove the 24 pin ATX power lead from the motherboard

New standard fucking when

So you utter faggots, is it worth to upgrade the graphics card now or is the next Blunder Of The Century™ just around the corner?

Can I run my pc parts off of the motherboard box while I wait for the case? The pieces of shit at FedEx delayed my package

This is a good time for buying graphics cards. If you're interested in high-end then 1080ti and Vega are coming soon, but it'll probably take at least 3 months before they're in stores.

Yes. Just be careful, don't drop the components or anything onto them.