Ruby

Why does everyone hate ruby?

It's fine if you're writing something for personal use, but good god is it hard to read someone else's Ruby, just a little bit shy of Perl's unreadability.

I typically do my scripting in Python, even PHP sometimes, and I was recently tasked with taking over a Ruby project at work, it is a complete fucking shitshow

Flavor of the month, and associated with web development?

I dunno, if you have to use Ruby at work its not like you have a choice. People become very dogmatic about programming languages, and it always leads to someone trying to re-invent the wheel with some new programming language that has its own problems: like Ruby.

It's barely more readable thn than Perl.

I use it. It's comfy for small projects but the slowness gets to you sometimes.

General association with web developers, and the fact that it's as slow as Python.

It is possible to write some extremely unreadable Ruby, but idiomatic usage is generally pretty clean. It reads like English.

It's not C#.

/thread

Hopefully, Crystal will solve #2.

The language is amazing for text manipulation and scripting (basically a perl replacement), but the community got flooded with webdevs, as others in the thread have said. That led to a huge amount of very low-quality code written by complete beginners or just retards. Python has almost the exact same problem, desu

Python is better in every possible way. There python library for everything, in ruby you will probably find something, but its going to be shit or just not as good as what python will have.

Plus more jobs in python than ruby.

Because Groudon sucks

Ii doesn't have any real use when you have php and javascript. Still better than python though.

Ruby is faster than Python, PHP, Node.js, etc, performance wise

however many developers overlook:

Code readability (the difficulty of understanding others code)

and

Development time (How long does it take to program in that language to make an X task)

this brings problems when working in groups, as a lot of time is wasted on understanding and debugging other coworkers code as well as having them explain their code to others

So while the end product of a ruby web app/server/etc might be more efficient ans save server/processing costs, it takes more man hours to produce and given that good programmers earn $250+ per day of work using ruby on some cases is more expensive if you plan to continue developing for it on the long run

That being said, the longer a group of programmers work together, the better they get at understanding other's code and programming in a similar way to reduce time explaining others what the code does

In my opinion, for having a one-time development of a web app that is blazing fast, then Ruby is great, but if you want to continuously develop things over time, of you don't have the necessary logistics or management to actually get the 100% of your programmers, then Node.js or Python (or both thanks to Node.js running javascript)

>double entering

Ruby is the best scripting language imo. I'm a systems engineer at work and mainly work on automation, I use both Python and Ruby, but I'll always choose Ruby over Python when I can.

FYI Php and Node are an order of magnitude faster than python or ruby. The rest of your post is aimless drivel. You should probably off yourself when you get the chance.

people using libraries that contain one function and depend on 25 other libraries.
Ruby devs cant write code them self

- Tends to be write-once read-never
- Gem authors like reinventing the wheel and breaking shit
- Hipsters use it
- Performance & memory usage tends to be shit compared to stuff like node
- Almost as bad as JS

It's popular to hate on it. There are more try hards on Sup Forums who can't fizz-buzz than gentooman who can code. Among those who can code, there aren't too many complaints.

You quickly run into style/design issues on all free-form languages like perl/python/ruby/lua, but those come from the fact that they let you do it however you want to, and don't shoe-horn you into one way of doing things. The way to make things readable is to be consistent. With python, you use pep8. Ruby, you use rubocop. If you keep those happy, it all remains consistent and fairly easily readable, even if it's noty our own/preferred style.

>Hopefully, Crystal will solve #2.
Crystal? I'm not familiar with this one.

Oh man

>Crystal? I'm not familiar with this one.
Basically Ruby minus all dynamic facilities plus macros/generics/well compromising type inference to make up for it compiled by LLVM.
Unfinished, so don't expect it to just werk now. Wants to add go channels for concurrency.

TLDR -> It's basically golang minus the retarded restrictions with Ruby syntax instead.

The best feature though is the crystal logo you can spin on the homepage.

Syntax sucks ass and so do the naming conventions.

>naming conventions.
this to be honest, never let nippons or mathematicians name things