/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously boards.Sup Forums.org/g/thread/58466699#top
/**Experimental:
*Wire chat - add @helix to get started
*/

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

theinvisiblethings.blogspot.co.nz/2011/04/linux-security-circus-on-gui-isolation.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I don't like cocks but I suck it from time to time. Fuck.

Windows > GNU/+Linux

But we are not talking about malwares

The OS picker lists bodhi on the track for not ubuntu based but the bodhi linux landing page says it's built on top of linux. What gives?

They probably moved to Ubuntu Base

What's a good dirsto/DE for a HTPC?

do you have any prior experience with linux and how old is the HTPC

How long does the Linux phase last for you dweebs?

As long as Linux remains the best OS.

I use linux in my work (not server management but using it) and I've messed around. HTPC has an AMD 5350 which I think came out in 2014, with 8GB ram.
Goal is relative ease of use on a TV, so no small text. Currently running debian but haven't found a comfy solution for the UI

How can I change fonts in xterm (permenantly)?

What the fuck am i doing wrong here? I just wanna fucking make this fucking application.

what are you trying to build?

When did Windows 8 come out? I've had it since then.

qjackrcd, a jack application to auto cut up audio upon silence detection.

GNU/Linux*

can someone make a korora wojak

did you read the README?
qmake -config release
make clean
make

You can build it in your /home directory without root then sudo make install

Ive reached this point, im so close to getting it now.

Does latest Korora come with Wayland? If it does I am sold.

First result on google with your error

yeah. Korora is a nice distro and you should definitely check it out.

In fact if there was no ubuntu I would install korora straight away

Friendly reminder that if you are running X and not Wayland then your system is insecure and vulnerable by default no matter what you do.

Friendly reminder that if you are running Wayland and not X then your system is insecure and vulnerable by default no matter what you do.

new fag how do i install an rpm file on korora i tried extracting

It can't be helped.
At least not until NVidia and firefox support wayland natively without beta versions

never mind i opened it

Also mpv. and a non shit terminal for wayland would be nice too.

kek that's not how you usually install a software in Linux

sorry, I meant GNU/Linux*

Is ulibc more compatible with things than musl?

musl sounds better but bash broke and I couldn't be bothered fixing it.

oh well download new WM and see how you like them

How can i run a series of mouse movements or clicks on startup? some stupid application im using only has a button that cant be activated via command line and i need it for the entire system to be automated.

xdotool

I've done i3, XFCE, and LXDE none of which feel comfortable to use from 8 feet away on a tv. Configured XFCE to use fuck huge fonts with DPI scaling but it just looked awkward.
I love using i3 but if literally anyone that might visit my house tried to do anything they'd be completely lost.
I haven't tried configuring LXDE yet but it's alright to use sitting infront of the TV, but everything is too small to use from the couch.

Do you have any recommendations?

I should be hating X, right? What will Wayland bring to the table? I remember watching a video or two on Wayland's writer but it was mostly on how everyone hated X.

regarding other people using i3 - just write a small manual on a piece of paper

theinvisiblethings.blogspot.co.nz/2011/04/linux-security-circus-on-gui-isolation.html
This is old news

Why hate?
It's just outdated and something new is needed. By my understanding X was written to do a whole shitload of stuff (like being an actual graphics library) that it isn't used for at all now. So Wayland is just a more modern take on it with all the fat cut out.

Damn, I didn't know this. Switching to GNOME/Wayland

Remember to set up SELinux too friend, Fedora comes with all of this OOTB if it's worth anything

>What will Wayland bring to the table?

If my current experience is any indication: constant crashes and weird application specific bugs.

How do I get thumbnail view for the firefox file picker? I can't shitpost like this.

How come Linux users consider themselves intelligent while they too retarded to disable spyware in Windows 10?

You can use the file manager

Windows is closed source and Microsoft has a long history of datamining. Even though you believe you "turned off" spying it does not mean it has been disabled.

I dual boot win7 and elementary OS

I want to take some space from Eos and give it back to win7 partition

Best way to do this?

openbox box or you could run conky with i3 for your friends

im going to elaborate on the conky thing. if you didnt know its a little more than a system monitor it can write text to the screen so you could write a cheat sheet for your friends and only run conky when they come over

>ffmpeg still not working intermittently
>test it on 3 different files
>works perfectly
>try to make 2 webms from different movies I actually want
>doesn't work right
>test another one from different movie
>works
>try to make a 3rd one I actually want from ANOTHER movie
>fails

From a live image

>I totally turned every privacy infringing feature off because I clicked a bunch of icons, executed software from some pajeet, and copy and pasted powershell commands.

I know what I've executed in command line.
>b-but muh hidden spyware
In that case why you don't afraid that it's also possible for linux vendors to spy on you?

open source dumb ass

Ban Indian IPs

Is Ubuntu still botnet ridden or is it safe to use now?

I use it. They will ask if you want to give feedbacks. Although other DEs don't have this feature

I think Unity is the problem, Ubuntu should be fine

Changing default file manager does nothing. Firefox always opens GTKFileChooser.

The amazon dash search is still shipped but disabled after all the rage, so it's basically save to use.

The file picker is part of the GTK toolkit, it's NOT the filemanager you're using. It justs looks simliar because it's using the same theme.

There is currently no solution other than patching and recompiling and that only works for GTK2 programs. If you can't live without thumbnails, use KDE. Alternativly organize your files better or drap and drop from your file manager.

the mint user has a big hole in the back of his knit cap

t. mint user

Trying to install Manjaro on my new Thinkpad, but I get stuck at the beginning, it's showing the splash screen
Any advice?

Well memed. Telemetry is data used by devs to fix errors and work on future security updates. It helps the users in the long run by not having to visit forums begging for solutions or manually reporting each problem.

Ubuntu has similar anonymous feedback option. Why is that a problem?

Install Arch, stop using shitty downstream distributions. Stop being an idiot. Stop being a pretentious idiot.

my favourite game so far

my favourite game of 2017 I have played so far is tomb raider. I like it because it has guns and climbing. lara croft is the main character. she makes me feel funny. I hope one day i can be as cool as her.

by emerson

age 27

nothing he said was pretentious maybe you should read more or stop using words you do not know the meaning of

grammar pls also you did the right thing

>implying EULA can be enforced on a billion users

just like they went after the people running cracked Windows copies in China and India. they don't care as long as you run Windows.

Get real.

People who install distributions deemed hardcore and for the advanced are pretentious, because they pretend to be worth more than they are.

Wow I've seen some better damage control than this

I'm not even the guy you were arguing with, but:

>they don't care as long as you run Windows.

Exactly, they want you to use it so they can exploit you easier. Which is the thing meant by the original person. Your attempt to argue against it only proves their point more.

Manjaro is not hardcore or advanced if anything it is basically Ubuntu but instead of being based on Debian it is based on arch on top of that nothing he said pertained to his self worth so you are still entirely wrong

learn how to cancel the splash screen and read what the output it. if i can recall correctly its something like ctrl+d idk google it

Recommend me a GOOD distro that

1. can play dvds out of the box
2. can play mp3s out of the box
3. works well with the ONLY decent DE (XFCE)

I don't believe this exists. GNU/Linux went to shit after Ubuntu 10.

I need some help.
I tried (for the first time) to change some stuff in the .profile file to be able to run android-studio from anywhere easily through the terminal.
But now when I try to log in, it does not work and sends me back to the login screen. Briefly showing some error.
I can log into a guest account but nothing more.
Any idea how to fix this?

Manjaro

gentoo

what about that whole "just move your clock back in time" bullshit? is it secure and not retarded?

That does not effect you in any ways. There are also other distros but you are too retarded to figure out yourself.

Here's my 2 cents: Fuck off.

Arch is "advanced and hardcore". Pretentious people install Manjaro because they think it will make them be cool for using Arch, but without the hassle.
THere are zero reasons to use Manjaro. They don't contribute anything worthwhile and there's nothing you can install on Manjaro that you can't install on Arch or other distributions.

So how "breaky" is Arch, really? Presume I'll just use a DE like Gnome 3 or KDE with no ricing, and use it for Python and Web-Dev programming.

Probably very few AUR packages.

How often will I end up with a broken machine and curse the day I installed Arch?

No. Linux has been cucked now for nearly a decade and can't do the most basic things without having to "install Gentoo, install Arch."

It's depressing how far it has fallen. And don't get me started on KDE/Gnome 3 bloat. Fucking idiotic.

Hi there, little faggot. I highly suggest that you stop trying to fit in before I crush you like an insignificant piece of shit.
AUR packages are most likely to break, otherwise Arch itself is pretty solid.
*buntu (Xubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, Ubundu MATE, Kubuntu), Korora, Manjaro, Antergos, Linux Lite, Elementary OS, Deepin Linux and shit ton more distros can play both mp3 and "dvd". Stop pretending to be retarded and get out.

> AUR packages are most likely to break, otherwise Arch itself is pretty solid.

Thanks user. Question: Would you use Arch for a day-to-day work (programming) laptop?

No. I'd use it for testing out the latest packages.

Alright, newbie C coder here. I'm too retarded to do this. How do I make it know that it's a letter ALONG with telling the user that the guess was right or wrong.

int main()

{

int iResponse = '\0';

int iRandom = 0;
srand(time(NULL));
iRandom = (rand() % 10) + 1;

printf("\nEnter a number\n");
scanf("%d", &iResponse);

if (isdigit(iResponse) == 0)
printf("\nThat is not a number\n");
return 0;

if (iResponse == iRandom)
printf("\nThat is correct!\n");
else
printf("\nSorry. The correct number was %d", iRandom);
return 0;
}

Do you even need to use the AUR? Is there nothing in the official repos? Can't you just compile from source?

I mean not a letter. fuck.

For work, Ubuntu/Fedora/Etc?

> KDE shill

literally the worst, most unorganized, most gimmicky DE

again manjaro is a simplified arch so there is nothing hardcore about it. you are continuously projecting your feelings on a person who had a minor problem. also do not think that arch is hardcore or hardcore just because it compiles from source and is minimalist. if you want hardcore learn about the kernel and get involved with the development or contribute to some other project

Wrong thread, but can you rephrase your question?
>work
Debian or Fedora
>daily OS
Either *buntu or Korora

Sorry, I just looked for the best thread. I'll just post the question from the book.

"Build a number-guessing game that uses input validation (isdigit() function) to verify the user has entered a digit and not a nondigit (letter). Store a random number between 1 and 10 into a variable each time the program is run. Prompt the user to guess a number between 1 and 10 alert the user if he was correct or not.

I managed to fix it by using GNU GRUB and using the terminal from GRUB and changing the file back to how it was before everything got fucked up.

randomly generate a number and store the value in a variable

create a loop that asks the user for input and simultaneously checks if the input it equal to the stored variable if they are the same the loop should break if you designed it correctly

Thank you, that worked

Anyone who can point me in the right direction on how to get nginx working with subfolders, need to set some rewrite rules and stuff for a php application, still doesn't work after putting it in it's own location /folder/{} in server block.

Hey!