Why do we still cling to this shit...

Why do we still cling to this shit? If motherboard manufacturers stopped catering to autists we could have extra USB ports ffs.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Host_Controller_Interface
computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why does it have 2 s-video outputs?

NKRO

You actually wouldn't have extra USB ports.
You clearly do not understand the way that any of this works (How USB headers work, the fact that the PS/2 data is still going to be on the chipset).

Maybe you should kill yourself, it'd free up oxygen for those of us who can read. Maybe we can replace the space you occupy with more USB ports.

How often are you pressing more than 6 keys at once?

Because there are mice and keyboards, from the era when mice and keyboards were built to last a century, still in existence.

>You actually wouldn't have extra USB ports.
There is nothing stopping them from adding another USB controller and putting some extra ports in the place of a PS/2 port. In fact many motherboard already do this.

>the fact that the PS/2 data is still going to be on the chipset
Oh? Educate me then.

Lmao

OP BTFO

How often are you using 8+ USB devices at the same time?

S-Video uses mini din plug, as well as PS/2.

I need this ports for my servers OP. So fuck off (You)

I'm using 5 right now. If I plugged in a charging cable for my phone and 2 USB drives I'd be using 8.
I have a Model M, so I've literally NEVER had to press more than 3 keys at once, excluding the modifiers.

Game Developer here, we need to press more than 6 buttons at a time and have 13 android shitphones connected to one PC. PS/2 is a superior keyboard port to usb, just google it.

Man please, motherboards already come with more USB ports than you'll ever need anyway, along with the ones on your front panel.

2 free charging ports for phones, tablets, usable as power source for HDDs, UMTS dongles or USB DVD writers that require 2 USB ports. All you need is a PS/2 to USB adapter. Not data but a perfectly fine 5V charging port. ATX boards are large as fuck, I don't mind having them.

I use 5 USB ports for the power alone already, the PS/2 port comes in handy.

>I don't need it so nobody should have it

you could put USB hubs nothing special with them

My PC's motherboard has the dual tone one. While I don't use it, it doesn't bother me at all. What's your problem with it??

no 1 cares, nerd

shit nigga thanks for the #lifehack

But then you'd use the usb ports to connect your mouse and keyboard, so isn't the same amount of free ports in the end + the fact that now you won't have the advantages of PS/2.

have an adapter to it for my keyboard btc-5100c.

>he charges his devices from his PC

Seriously. Why?

Go get a multi-USB wall charger if you have more than 1 device that needs charging via USB. Faster charging, not killing your own PC, not about to start house-fires with your shitty case/motherboard's wiring/tin whiskers, and plenty more room for things that actually need high-speed digital I/O in 2017. Like external, wall-powered, HDDs for backups. Or loading software and information onto flash drives. And connecting to debug kits and cameras.

I bet you clapped when manufacturers started removing serial ports, fag.

Many motherboards now don't have any PS/2 ports or have a single one that can be used for either keyboard or mouse.

Part of the reason of clinging to it is because it can be used easily without the driver support that USB requires in cases of diagnostic emergency.

Because most wall chargers don't deliver a clean 5v and will often over deliver in amperage which harms the batteries in the long run.

A computer provides a pretty clean 5v at around 500mA most of the time, so it is perfect for slow charging batteries when you can afford to leave them plugged in for long periods of time.

goddamn son

>not about to start house-fires with your shitty case/motherboard's wiring/tin whiskers
And this is actual bullshit.

You can stop samefagging now.

the real question is: why so many motherboards don't have these superior things?

Most of the USB controllers on your motherboards are underutilized.
Open up Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers and look in the Properties for the USB Root Hubs that you have in the list.
In the power tab in the description it usually shows the number of ports available and what you'll probably find is that you will have more ports available than you have physical ports.

Because windows 7 doesn't support USB peripherals OOTB

You can stop trying now OP

xD

>PS/2 is a superior keyboard port to usb
what about the ps/2 for mouse then?

Fact: USB can do N-Key RollOver.
Fact: USB 3.0+ supports interrupt signaling
There are no more advantages of PS/2 over USB 3

>Game Developer here, we need to press more than 6 buttons at a time
No problem with decent USB keyboards.

they're not even any good. not enough current for my model m.

kek'd

hot fucking damn son

I didn't say that PS/2 is superior to USB for keyboards.

In fact, Windows, at the least, doesn't even support Plug'n'Play on the PS/2 port, which means that removing or plugging in a new device on the port requires a reboot.

The only advantage it has is that you can use that port without the complex drivers required for your USB controllers, which means that simple diagnostic programs can be made to run in basic operating system, like DOS,

>I didn't say that PS/2 is superior to USB for keyboards.
except you literally said that

NKRO, and mech keyboard enthusiasts

You should read his post again.

That post may go straight to Sup Forums stupidity exhibition.
This. Usually there are at least two USB2 headers on a motherboard which can serve up to two ports each.

NRKO can be achieved with USB keyboards using the latest standard. Most BIOS's should support it by now.

>That post may go straight to Sup Forums stupidity exhibition.
Sup OP?

okay yes, my mistake. wanted to quote this guy in my first reply:

i have all of my usb ports being used...
should upgrade with more front ones but i'm cheap.

I usually just rely on the usb keyboard support code in the BIOS/UEFI. Never used these ports for at least a decade.

You seem like a very vicious person.

I can't imagine that you have a lot of friends.

I think there's a security reason. A malicious device could look like a USB storage drive while telling the computer it's a keyboard, and be able to execute code and maybe even log keystrokes. Some organizations fill USB ports with glue and use PS/2 keyboards and mice to avoid that.

can you name a place doing that?
i have yet to see that being a thing

How many USB ports do you fucking need? I have eight, count them, EIGHT, on my board, and only four (FOUR) are plugged in (mouse, keyboard, controller, printer), and out of those, I only use the first two on a daily basis.

Because USB is a piece of shit.
>serial bus when parallel is objectively superior
>inherently a security threat as evidenced by BadUSB
>breaks easily
>not even faster than PS/2
>no N-key rolling or whatever the buzzword is
>becoming obsolete too because USB C is being shilled hard

>NKRO, and mech keyboard enthusiasts
None of this requires PS/2

The old Model M keyboards are PS/2 only, though. And PS/2 to USB adapters can be flaky. The one I had would only work if you applied pressure to the PS/2 connector at just the right angle.

I have eight also.
Mouse, keyboard, USB sound card, bluetooth controller are always plugged in.
Then I have my phone plugged in most of the time and sometimes plug in an external optical drive. Sometimes plug in an ardiuno to program it and I have a bunch of other USB devices.

>serial bus when parallel is objectively superior
yeah, PATA is so much better than SATA
dumb fuck

/thread

There is this.

Daaamn Nicholson incoming

>USB is becoming obsolete because USB is being shilled
What even.

Debug

USB keyboards are shit. they're slow, unresponsive to more advanced key combinations and they often refuse to work when you're repairing things

>they're slow
False with USB 3
>unresponsive to more advanced key combinations
False with proper drivers and keyboard controllers

>False with USB 3
do you even know the response time of USB 3?
>False with proper drivers and keyboard controllers
it doesn't make a fucking difference. it's a hardware limitation

>Oh? Educate me then.
There's your education. In order for a computer to be classified as an IBM-compatible Personal Computer, it needs all of these piles and piles of legacy nonsense dating back from 1981.

And what exactly is wrong with PS/2?

Sometimes I forget where I am.

>it's a hardware limitation
False. USB HIDs have two operating modes, "report protocol" and "boot protocol". Only the latter has the N-key restriction.

>do you even know the response time of USB 3?
Microseconds. xHCI supports interrupt notifications to maintain this low latency.

Nothing, OP is just a faggot.

do you even understand the difference between hardware and software?

If you're going to berate people for having no idea what they're talking about then you should actually know what you're talking about.
Do you think any modern computer is IBM-compaitable? uEFI ended any chance of that.

OK, brainiac, explain why NKRO is supposedly a hardware restriction, considering keyboard controllers that support the USB HID report protocol.

get it into your simple brain: ps/2 won't interrupt your fucking CPU unlike the polled USB
hardware interrupts vs software interrupts. go figures

i'm sorry your cpu clock is audible

>polled USB
Are you a time traveler from 2007?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Host_Controller_Interface

Not him but what difference does it make? The impact on your CPU's performance will likely be so small that it'd be in the margin of error, even on benchmarks. The response time is far lower than your reaction time as well, so that's not an issue.

Is your keyboard and mouse wireless too?

>Why do we still cling to this shit?

We don't. Most brand new mobos don't even have that.

My new z270 has one

still goes through USB controller, still goes software
meanwhile:
computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/
add more USB devices and see what happens

>tfw go to goodwill
>see bin full of ps2 mech keyboards
>pick out nice one for $5
>no interdiction or usb malfeasance

> Windows

The motherboards I keep buying got rid of those ports ages ago. I'm sorry you buy shit motherboards that still cling on to 90s technology.

there's absolutely no argument for replacing something that works perfectly

I didn't knew we had so many forced obsolescence advocates here.

Don't you have to go camp outside a bestbuy for the new IPhone or something?

>unplug mouse to reroute some wires or whatever
>plug mouse back in
>have to reboot to get it to work

"works perfectly"

that's really dependant. i can plug/unplug my ps/2 keyboard without problems

Indeed you can. That's why I said mouse.

i believe that no one here questions the USB mouses. only keyboards

Nice have improved as things have gone USB. Keyboards have not

Got new mb last week x99 asus and it had kb/mouse combo ps2 on it.

that's funny because i see that one ps/2 port on every new mobo

But ... my keyboard does NKRO through USB

>over deliver in amperage
You don't seem to understand how electricity works

Dude chill down, why are you saying a mean thing like that just because someone doesn't understand how USB ports work. Seriously, grow up.

The public computer pool at our university campus for example.