Has there been any solid alternative to Sansa Clip + in portable mp3 player department recently...

Has there been any solid alternative to Sansa Clip + in portable mp3 player department recently, or is the branch completely doomed?

I lost mine a month ago, and since the only way to get these bastards is to buy one via refurbished merchandise I started to wonder if there is anything esle to upgrade to

>inb4 get a cellphone, grandpa

I ain't into these faggotish things, son

Get a cellphone, sexually insecure grandpa

>Has there been any solid alternative to Sansa Clip + in portable mp3 player department recently, or is the branch completely doomed?

Nope. Nothing can beat the classic Clip+ in terms of sound quality and pricing. And sadly they retired the Clip+.

Nope. There are $2 chink players that do a pretty decent job until they die a half year in. I'm currently using a Ruizu X02. Bit bigger, but at least you can see some shit on the screen. Great battery life too.

Our best hope is a decent small size SBC, like a RPi Zero with a sound output. That'd make a killer portable MP3 player with a tiny oled, a couple buttons, and a battery duck taped on it.

Don't really count on MP3 players to continue existing, chinks will continue making some but they all suck, Sony may though, but that's it.

>he listens to music with his phone

just buy 20 of those 1 dollar tiny chink mp3 players with a micro sd slot off ebay.

I bought 10 for exercise purposes a year ago, only 1 broken so far.

just get one new from amazon. they also have silicone covers to protect your precious player. and use pockets with zippers.

>just get one new from amazon
New ones don't have rockbox support. Old ones rockbox-compatible are sold up to $200.

>>he listens to music with his phone
Of course I do, the whole point of modern phones is to replace a bunch of accessories. I also don't carry a watch, a notepad, a camera, or a map/compass.

>I also don't carry a watch, a notepad, a camera, or a map/compass.
Because a phone is actually better than those.

I'm still failing to see the downside of a device the size of my thumb and the weight of a testicle, with a huge and independant battery life, that charges long enough for a week in the couple minutes it takes to transfer music on it, with superior sound quality, hardware buttons, wide format support, crossfading, gapless playback, playlists...

When it comes to the rest, several devices are always better than one, because it's just easier to hand them over to someone else which tends to happen a lot when you have a family and friends, as long as they're small and light enough that they're forgettable.

A phone is just a piss poor MP3 player. And I still have a watch mind you.

I've been wanting a music player for some time now. I've never liked using my phone for music for some reason although I do agree with the points stated above. Should I scoure for a Sansa clip or what? My iPod classic broke down five years ago, I might get one of the newer ipods. Inb4 macfag. ipods are good

>My iPod classic broke down five years ago
If it's just the disk, you can swap it with a SD card.

Gave it to my brother so I have no idea where it's at. Also I'm not very good at fixing my own shit

>I also don't carry a watch, a notepad, a camera, or a map/compass.
I do.

>superior sound quality
No. Low SNR, limited output voltage. Clip+ also has noticeable clock error.
>wide format support, crossfading, gapless playback, playlists
Hardly a rare feature.

I know that people don't know or care about audio quality, but do stop spouting on about it.

Also where do you get your free music from?

>I'm still failing to see the downside of a device the size of my thumb and the weight of a testicle,

which you still carry in addition your phone. so it is unnecessary weight.

> with a huge and independant battery life
there are practical phones nowadays that can be comfortably charged once every 2-3 days, like the much-memed Xiaomeme Redmeme Note 3. you no longer have to give up audio playing to keep your phone's battery from dying.

> that charges long enough for a week in the couple minutes it takes to transfer music on it

one week battery life is not that much better than a 3 day battery life. it's still charged infrequently enough that it doesn't matter.

> with superior sound quality

that's either a lie or you're parroting """""audiophile""""" nonsense

> hardware buttons

I'll give you that one, but Android roms nowadays have some nice hacks for changing tracks/pausing/unpausing with the volume buttons.

> wide format support

only if you're using Rockbox, which has one of the worst user interfaces I have ever used.
this is also applicable to phones.

> crossfading, gapless playback, playlists...

wow just like phones.

>TFW have two of these in 8GB model sitting around totally unused
>TFW dad has a 4gb and uses the fuck out of it

Well used but only very lightly.

One has Rockbox other is totally stock. Bought them way back cause I liked the compact form factor and PHYSICAL BUTTONS. Also the OLED screen is also great.

I REALLY need to get my library organized and use these beautiful pieces of tech.

Lost mine too, thanks for reminding me OP, I'm sad now ;(
So the Clip Zip isn't rockbox-able? I thought it had alpha support?

i am using Philips SA2VBE08S it is a real tank with the metal back and has better sound qvality than my galaxy s6 and the volume lvel can be adjust relli well not like the shitty android and apple

>No
Okay.
>Low SNR
Which is a great thing.
>limited output voltage
For headphones, not earbuds. But then amps.
>Clip+ also has noticeable clock error.
Which is well known and fixed by Rockbox.

>which you still carry in addition your phone. so it is unnecessary weight.
Unless you're a dwarflet the weight of the average MP3 player shouldn't be an issue. It's less that the weight of many earbuds. And I'm carrying extra weight for a phone that can't play music right.
>charged once every 2-3 days
With music that goes down.

>that's either a lie or you're parroting """""audiophile""""" nonsense
"audiophiles" don't use sansa clips. Normal people who don't have lost most of their hearing can easily hear the difference.
>only if you're using Rockbox, which has one of the worst user interfaces I have ever used.
You must be retarded then.
>wow just like phones.
Just like some apps you mean, of which few are free, fewer are free as in freedom, then they eat up your cpu and ram for nothing, and the lack of hardware buttons makes them unpractical.

Shit nigga a clip is so small it's hanging off the cable just held by the jack. Don't tell me that's "heavy".

i am dont use pohene but this guy because with good hade pohenes the pohene batty drains to quickly but this guy can run all day almost a years later as a enginer i am going to build someting simular

Any other good music players around?

> His headphones are so shitty they can be used with a cellphone
How about you stop being poor and buy nice things?

>Which is a great thing.
SNR - signal-to-noise ratio
Low SNR means it is relatively noisy compared to full scale.
Amplifiers don't improve on the gain structure limitation made by the low SNR. They will add bulk and gain, of course.
>With music that goes down.
Music playback itself has threadbare computational requirements, and power draw from a headphone is going to be very small, as extended battery life of some PMPs demonstrate.

>Normal people who don't have lost most of their hearing can easily hear the difference.
If I had a dollar for every time I heard that phrase when it wasn't true, I could bankroll the production of a resurrected Clip+ line with pocket change.
The only distinctly good parts to the Clip+ as far as analog output are concerned are the low output impedance, and the partially related FS output into low impedance loads. The noise floor tends to muddle this in practice, as the usual low impedance devices are the hyper sensitive devices with sensitivity of 120-130dB SPL/1 Vrms or even higher.

>good music players around
What do you mean by "good"?
Size should it be, what features should it have, and so on.

Look faggot it can be anywhere from an ipod shuffle to an iPod classic in size, 8gb, able to categorize my music.

The fuck? Why would you use a player where the card just sticks out like that. That's fucking dumb.

I'd say go for it if you can get it at a reasonable price.

If you put rockbox on it (and change the default skin) it's pretty much the perfect music player.

The card is just halfway out in OP's picture for some reason, here's what it actually looks like.
It sticks out slightly but if you push it with your thumb / against a table it won't come out, you have to use your nail.

>SNR - signal-to-noise ratio
>Low SNR means it is relatively noisy compared to full scale.
>Amplifiers don't improve on the gain structure limitation made by the low SNR. They will add bulk and gain, of course.
I know that. I just wanted to give you an easy argument and maintain the illusion that maybe somewhere you were right. Hope you feel better about it.

>Music playback itself has threadbare computational requirements
Certainly. With a proper player. When the average player is updating the picture on your lockscreen with the cover it downloaded off with your data plan, not so much.

Other brands like Fiio

>12 bux
>folder support, unlike iShit
>takes SD cards
>decent OS
>using it daily, charged once since Christmas

Bought Fiio X3 to replace clip that I dropped in a pint while pissed

Noticeable audio improvement on my Sure SE215 and love having line out for my home set up.

Bloody big and heavy though, and the hardware buttons are easy to hit by accident in your coat pocket.

>tfw someone at work laughed at me for having >an Ipod

>$200
First hit was prime NEW at $85. Though you can get the 4GB and use a microsd.

FiiO X1 or higher, it's lasted far longer than my previous Sansa Clips

Not everyone needs or wants the distraction or invasion of privacy that comes with adding an internet connection, body sensor, GSP tracker and so on to a device used to play music and white noise. Also
>owning a smartphone
>having contacts other than a gf and family
Check your privilege shitlord.

What wrong with the Clip Jam......?

t. SJW

>bring out phone on my shithole
>stolen the next second

Phones will not have expandable storage in a few years

Watches are quicker than digging out your phone from your pocket. . .
Note pad don't run out of power, and i can write faster then i can type with my thumbs, and you can leave a piece of paper as a note for someone, you shouldn't leave your phone
Cameras can be better than the one in your phone, and you can change the memory card when it's full
A map and compass don't need power

After wearing a watch for a few months, i feel weird not having it on my wrist when i go out, that's pretty much the only one i use in a non-work environment, at work i use notepads and labels

Fiio M3 is the next best thing.

Nonexistent where I live. Too expensive in this times, but I'll give you that, the thing it's really good and when my old broke was a annoying day

>no dedicated volume buttons

nope

planning on getting one for myself, some day

I'm not sure of it's rockbox compatible, it's like the whole point of buying a clip zip or +.
And rockbox it's only supported by very niche devices that are increasingly hard to obtain in this day.

i have one of these, the ui is awful but bearable when you consider the battery life, price and sound quality are great.

also have 2 clipzips and a clip+ but i use the m3 the most

The screen looks really neat if you wave it back and forth

>sold up to $200.
Where can I sell mine for 200? It already has rockbox installed

It's also in mint condition

Any FiiO player in your budget.

shit gee
Was going to get an ipod 5g (last one with a wolfson) for 10USD but someone else bought it before me

was planning to:
>install rockbox
>install a large msata ssd into it
>replace the aging battery

What device is the best to do this with? Anyone have any advice?

Sony are the only ones making new and good mp3 players, but the high end ones can get expensive.

>$3,199.99 for an MP3 player

>~3000USD
>no physical buttons on front
ahahahahahahahhah

That's the most expensive one.

This little one has lasted me over 6 years and being ran over by a car. 30 hrs of battery life. Drag and drop. Excellent audio quality.

I bought this, how fucked am I?

No gapless playback ever ever.
Shitty UI.
That's all that's stopping me.

if only it had micro sd that accepted any size
that's the perfect thing about a player, it can serve a double function as a storage device

The up and down buttons are control volume. The Ruizu is the closest thing to a Sansa Clip.

I wish I had kept my Sansa clip from prison. I threw it away because the manufacturer wanted me to pay 40 dollars so I could use it after jail.

AGPtEK A12 is the spiritual successor.

You can get a A25.

could have gotten one for relatively cheap but said fuck it

I'm after a 5th gen classic (Wolfson chipset, Rockbox)

Pop in a new battery and a 256GB msata and enjoy

don't forget the 2000mah battery

feels gud

can't wait! it's going to be a great device

trying to get one cheap since my clip+ is still semi functional
>tfw missed local deal for a working 5th gen for 10 burger points

did you get the battery frm shitbay?

got mine for 36 burgerbux used with waterdamage.

yes. been a year still going strong

>got mine for 36 burgerbux used with waterdamage
damn, that's expensive for a damaged one

Something autistic makes me want to spend as little as possible for the best config with these

Hope the 2000mAh is still around

they're usually $50 here, i'd rather save the 20 and use that for battery. water damage wasnt so bad.

I see.
I don't care too much about damage as long as the clickwheel, screen and ports aren't fucked

It's gonna get a firmware flash anyway
Like you I'm going to need the battery and :
msata 256 or 512 depending on price
msata to zif

How about the Fiio X1? It's hardly more expensive than the M3 here.

>no dedicated volume buttons
Irrelevant. My music isn't garbage so I don't have to fiddle around with the volume all the time.

You have to hold VOL for a second first to access the volume setting.

I have one, it can't be rockbox'd.
To be fair I only bought it because my Clip Zip died, and the M3 I bought (as in ) as a replacement is next to unusable, the UI feels like pulling your teeth out. Hell the PoS doesn't even support folder playback.
Sound quality wise the Jam is a clear step back to the other 2 though. I'm still hoping for a fw update from Fiio to add the feature.

iPod Nano

Pi zero +phat dac

I have one of those samsung mp3s that's basically a USB stick. I'm in love with the thing it's so nice to use. Sadly no way to expand the tiny 2gb storage.

Not really. There are some devices out there, but they don't have rockbox support.

The Xduuo X2 or X3 are mid range mp3 players. Funnily enough they seem to use recycled clip+ screens.
The Ruizu X02 is a bottom of the range mp3 player with a dodgy UI.

Then there's the less chinese FiiO class players which are at the high end.

All here have microSD slots and the general stuff you got out of a clip+, except rockbox.

>2007
>iPod Classic
>160GB storage space
>30 hour active use battery life

>2017
>Have to use a phone
>128GB SD card if you're lucky
>what remains of the 64-128GB internal storage if you're not
>no radio
>6 hour active use battery life
>also have to find an audio app that doesn't shit itself trying to index a few thousand songs
>alternatively spend half a grand on audiophile snake oil so that you can put TWO 128GB SD cards in it

Progress.

Reflash it with the new firmware. I forgot the specifics, but ask around on /csg/

Does it play flac?

nice job dodging the question SJW

How long do have you had it for?

I paid $60 new for Sup Forumsmeme. Now it is $80. Pay up now and enjoy, cuz it is 10x better than using an expensive phone when paired with rockbox and a fat32 formatted monster microsd.

I loved mine. I lost it doing yard work though

but you're supposed to buy a subscription like a good consumertard

no thanks
it was worth it when it cost 25 USD
there are better alternatives

Xduoo x3. It ain't as cheap, but the sound is a bit better, plus it has a better headphone amp and dual microsd card slots, so you can put 256gb of storage in there for a package about $230 in total, which is hard to match otherwise.

Oops, mathed wrong. That's actually for $170.

I have two rockbox'd clip zips.

been looking in to this recently and I'm planning on getting a cheap AGPTEK until I get a bit more money in.

Can someone tell me if rockbox is still dead? I heard something about an xDuoo and a Fiio port a while ago but the forums were down last I checked.

Does this do drag and drop video or do you have to convert it in to some propriety .gif format for it to work?

Get a V20

Why dont you use your fucking phone and get spotify ?
Seeing you use autism clip is getting me school shooter vibe

spotify is for losers and I don't want to drain my phone battery, sometimes I just want something light to wear on a job too

Are you the same guy complaining about people using cash in the credit card thread?

>roadtrip! time to listen to some of my favourite albums
>no LTE

yes, you're not even entitled to own the media you pay for. You can just stream it if you're lucky. This is the cancer that has become the norm.

Get a phone charger, or a battery pack.
Get a lighter phone.
Fixed. No more autism payer.

>fixed
>more complicated than a PMP
>still has less storage capacity

xDuoo x3 or x100 if you have massdrop.
Hardware buttons, takes two microSD cards, can rockbox it.