/tpg/ ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW
m.canadacomputers.com/mobile/itemid/098423
weidian.com/item.html?itemID=1969558724&wfr=c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want to fuck a T420

Do t530 and t530i have the same motherboards? can I replace the cpu? is there space for a dedicated gpu?

It seems that i need to update my template, the EPP discount link is wrong.
Use pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Man I want an x62. Have sent messages expressing my interest. Anyone got any good infos on when more might be available?

I have a request from those of you who have a x220. I'm thinking of getting one too and I want to know if Dota 2 works on it and how. Can you guys install it and tell me around how many fps do you have while on lane? maybe even make a video or something? I'm not really that interested in playing games on it but from time to time I'd want to play a dota 2 match with some friends so I'm curious if I can do that from an x220. Thanks a lot.

there is no X62 that I know of but I guess you mean X61. in that case, ebay is your friend senpai

>I'm curious if I can do that from an x220
It's dont. Maybe x230 can just barely run it with lowest of settings

No, that pic is my x61, 51nb are modding x61s to take modern hardware. i7s etc. Give it search friendo.

don't listen to
It's gonna run at lowest settings native resolution (at least it does for me 2.5GHz i5, Linux). don't expect 1080p though.

X62 r3 is available now.

gulp! Got a link? I haven't been able to find anything.

For everybody in here who went from a 520 to a 530 model, how big is the difference between the two keyboards in daily use?
Also, is it true that there are models with both a backlit keyboard and a Thinklight?

why not just replace the keyboard with the 520 one?

If that's possible - and the 530 indeed still sports a Thinklight - that would be the best solution, of course.
I haven't looked into it, since I assumed that the old keyboard would be incompatible due to differences in size and connectors.

well I was curious cause my PC is already shitty and x220 outperforms my current pc configuration, in benchmarks, at both
processor:
>AMD Athlon II X3 450: 2625
>Intel Core i5-2520M @ 2.50GHz: 3554
and "video card":
>GeForce 8500 GT: 139
>Intel HD 3000: 312
so theoretically it should be able to handle Dota 2 since I already play it on this PC (lowerst settings, 1280x800, fps capped at 35 so my CPU doesn't overheat and get fps drops... eh, at least it works xD) ...but I was curious to see some actual numbers from the x220 at the same settings.
PS. yes, I know my PC is shit af but I saw no point in upgrading it since it was enough for what I was doing, so please refrain from commenting on my current configuration. Stay on topic pls guys.

I don't have numbers because I actually don't really like Dota. I just checked if it worked and then deleted it. But it works.

you can do it senpai.

m.canadacomputers.com/mobile/itemid/098423

Should I get? (Prices in Canadian dollars)

weidian.com/item.html?itemID=1969558724&wfr=c

My my that is a lot of Chinese!

Shows how little I'm ready to do by myself. yx20 -> yx30 keyboard mods have already been realized.
Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Did he use a Think Pad?

Aside from USB-C etc, is there any significant difference between the current T460 and the upcoming T470 ?

I'm not excited for USB-C, and wondering if I should bother waiting.

[I managed to post right at the end of the last thread, oh well]

Do you use your trackpad or the trackpoint?
Just got my first Thinkpad and i can't really decide what to use

Anyone in the Portland, Or looking for a new t420s? Trying to sell mine after getting a t430. I'd be down to trade for something too.

trackpoint because the touchpad is such garbage

it's best to disable the trackpad. there has never been a decent trackpad on a thinkpad because the trackpoint is superior to any trackpad out there.

What kind of battery life are you getting, /tpg/?
T430 here with quad core cpu, sleeping 7200RPM drive and mSATA ssd as system drive. Minimal load (browsing the internet), no background activity, 50% screen brightness.
Pic rel

trackpoint, you should disable the trackpad desu

also the battery is genuine 9cell, 91Wh of original 93Wh capacity.
Am I doing it right, or should it be more?

I want a ThinkPad so hard.

what's stopping you user

his parents doesn't want to pay for it

depending on which model you want you can get one anywhere between $20 - $2000+

you should measure the discharge rate
If you find a software that stores that data to a file, you can average those readings and get a better estimate of the battery life(divide the full charge capacity by the average rate to get the number of hours)

I think windows event collector is doing this in the background. Too bad I disabled it for battery saving purposes :^(
Also lelnovo power manager says (almost) the same

I am considering buying a Thinkpad, but need some direction.

I was thinking about the T420 or T430, but don't know which one is better?
I am also open to other recommendations, so fire away.
I am trying to spend under $250.
Thanks in advance for your help.

is it going to be a shitposting machine or for working and business?

T430
>quad core + nvidia dgpu option
>nvs5400m (overclockable) option, which is as fast as GT640m dGPU
>22nm CPU instead of housefire 32nm sandy bridge
>two keyboard options - either shitlet with backlight or glorious classic one from t420
>2xUSB 3.0
>16GiB 2133MHz RAM option
>rapid charge
>HD4000 iGPU instead of HD3000 (twice as fast)
>more accurate LKN-4 fingerprint reader (T420 has shitty LKN-3, which doesn't even distinguish different fingers kek)
>LTE modem option
>hybrid power boost, which basically allows the battery to be used as secondary power source in 45W CPU + 35W dGPU config and 90W power supply (can deliver up to 130W)

>power used: 6 watts
what? mine is always 7 or more and i only have iGPU (SATA3 SSD + HDD on caddy)

Is HDD sleeping?
Mine is also using only iGPU. dGPU is unpowered since there is no graphics load.
Also did you properly configure your OS? Win10 by default has a lot of shit running in the background, including telememetery

here's what you can disable
plus you can remove all modern apps running in the background (check the task manager)
Not to mention a lot of tasks in task scheduler

Wallet does indeed. Parents are long forgotten.

Anyway, the more I lurk here the more I see the T420 (14", core i5) as the right choice.

I just want a reliable laptop that can support a light penguin distro to do my usual shit like browse Sup Forums or read emails, eventually writing some code.

Choosing is losing, of course.

You sure about t420?
x220 is a lot better imho.

I gotta agree with because it's smaller without sacrificing performance. I love mine. Probably the best laptop I've ever had. Still, on the T420 you could get 1600x900 while on the X220 you're limited to 1366x768. If you want to code, you might want to take resolution into consideration.

Dang. I've just found a x220 for less than 120 bucks, that could be the one deal. The low resolution is an argument in favor of the T420 though...

I'm fine with the resolution but really only because it's not my main computer. I'd just advise you to set up a VM with your preferred distro to 1366x768 and try to use it for a while.

But still, you'd probably need to pay extra for 1600x900 T420. Most units got 1366x768 screen

this. 1600x900 models are more expensive and even kinda hard to find at times

Goddamn it. Ok fellows I'm doing it, I'm taking this x220. Can't waste this opportunity and it won't be my prime coding setup anyways so the resolution really doesn't matter. Thanks for your advices, see you soon for report.

Were T410 and E6410 the very last
>business laptops
to have a 16:10 screen?

Yes.
16:10 is cancer.

>higher resolutions and more screenspace is cancer
k

any of you own a x201?

would you say its alright for just basic web browsing and media playback?

>more screenspace
Nope.
1440x900 is less than 1600x900, and that's a comparison of highest T410 option and highest (official) T420/T430 option.

>this fucking guy

The equivalent of 1600x900 in 19:10 is 1680x1050 you retard not 1440x900.

16:10*

900px of a 14" 1600x900 is less mm than the 900px of a 14" 1440x900

even an X200 totally is.

You mentioned T410 and E6410, you stupid cunt, and that's what I'm referring to.
>The equivalent of 1600x900 in 19:10 is 1680x1050
>The equivalent
>equivalent
You're fucking stupid. Shoot yourself before you contaminate the gene pool with your defective ones.

>is less mm
So we talk about actual resolutions and available workspace, as this faggot >58485238 is, or are we talking about your autistic memeters?
Get outta my Sup Forums, bitches

>You mentioned T410 and E6410
What? I haven't mentioned any ShitPads

>equivalent is not equivalent hurrr
Are you literally retarded or just autistic?

>You're fucking stupid. Shoot yourself before you contaminate the gene pool with your defective ones.
I already have children, you figin thinkpadfag

>What? I haven't mentioned any ShitPads
>Were T410 and E6410 the very last
>I already have children
More like your wife has children. Cuck

>2017
>wife
topkek, stay virgin faggot

>he thinks is
faggot

Is there a reliable place to get Thinkpad parts? I have one with a lame fan.

So you're divorced?
Somehow it doesn't surprise me. Divorcing a retard is inevitable

So what's the deal with the batteries for t430s ? Can the non-lelnovo ones be trusted ? Any way to find a genuine one cheap ?

I guess i'm gonna get an answer only from the mighty xsauc

I have a t430 that I leave the battery out of, I use it as a desktop, tucked off to the side of my desk

looking at this dock, the ports gained would definitely be worth it, but I'd like to know, can you use that big button as a power button (on/off)?

I'm not bothered in any way by having to do this, but every day I have to open the thinkpad lid once to turn it on, then close it again. I am primarily looking into this for the ports, but if I can turn it on and off with the big button then that is just a bonus

there is dedicated power button right above that large release button

>that I leave the battery out of
Why?
Are you retarded?

Why not use both screens ? You can use the button on the dock too

I have one 1080p monitor directly in front of me, it is enough to meet my needs. also I don't want the laptop screen to burn out. Maybe things have changed and it isn't likely to happen anymore, but still I'm paranoid

doesn't that ruin the battery? are you a RUDE poster?

that is what I thought it was, but I wanted to be sure. thank you, my fellow black man

And how exactly do you "ruin" the battery by keeping it in a business laptop with charging control provided to the OS?
You do realize you can create a 5% (or more) charging margin in any thinkpad, so the battery isn't charged again and again when it loses some charge?

>5% (or more) charging margin
which is actually an EC feature, so you don't even need to turn on your computer. The battery will not be recharged at all if you keep it in.
And you actually do much more damage to the battery when keeping it separate, unless you keep it charged to exactly 50% (3.7V per cell)

hush, yes we are more than two people in this conversation

I the faggot am having a point that more pixelspace is fine as long as it's not less physical space in favor of useless thick bezels

No, I honestly hadn't known that

So even if I never plan on moving it from the dock, I should leave the battery in?

>So even if I never plan on moving it from the dock
you should get a desktop then

I'm looking for a ~12" laptop in the ~$150 price range, but even lower is better. I've been looking at old x series and elite books, but would I be better off getting a Chromebook? Primarily for notetaking

I use that dock, my t430 and a 1080p monitor at school
The "big button" releases it, above it is a power button. You can turn it on with the lid closed

Yes.
If you're not gonna use the battery for a long time set custom charging thresholds in lelnovo power manager, preferably 50%

best distro for a x201?

Windows Embedded Standard 7

Is there a 14" or less ThinkPad with thunderbolt and ssd and a decent set of ports?

Or any good laptop with those specs that isn't super expensive? The only thing I see that's kinda what I want is the XPS13 but it seems pretty expensive for what it is. God I hate ultrabooks

Why does the T430 keyboard have to suck? I want to get a T430, but the keys look so cheap

get T430 and replace the keyboard.

can you link me to a good replacement? the stock one looks like crumbs would fuck it up

woah where do i find this setting ?

he means to get one from t420

do they just swap out that easily?

T430 is actually a good choice because you get 3 different keyboard options, chiclet, backlit chiclet, and classic.

I had to buy one, cuz my t520 melted. Took about 24hrs. Now a convert. It is a good keyboard.

where can I choose a classic keyboard?

I just got my T430 and it's great, but I have an issue with it:
Sometimes when I scroll down I get this weird diagonal line. What could it be? Faulty screen? Software or hardware issue?

Better than the "classic" keyboard?

So should i pull a trigger on x220 for 200€? It's in good condition and every physical thing works.

Pick one:

T420, T420S, T430, X220

Do not take price into account

> in lelnovo power manager

I think it's cancer

thought there was none for win10