What does /g think about sublime text ?

why do you think sublime text is good/bad

Other urls found in this thread:

packagecontrol.io/packages/Color Scheme - Yotsuba
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

proprietary trash.

Works well for me. There are plugins for everything.

Very comfy for C/C++

Vim with a solarized theme is more comfy. Emacs is more powerful. Only a Windows or macOS user would consider the ability of a given non-system software to upgrade its plugins as soon as you run it as satisfying (each non-used software leaving its set of deprecated binary blobs). Unless it were delivering a superior user experience over free software I don't really see why I should bother about this.

You'd love vim.

Deprecated by Visual Studio Code

Doesn't compete against IDEs, doesn't compete against Vim. It fills a hole in the market that doesn't exist.

It fills the "I don't want an IDE, but I'm not autistic enough to use vim/emacs" market

Just use VIM
>Emacs is more powerful.
Not more powerful than VIM

Emacs/Vim for those that dont know Emacs/Vim

Pretty good compared to other editors, baby-cute compared to Emacs/Vim

>solarized
stop this meme

Was great once, but I've pretty much dropped it for VS Code because of closed source, developer not doing his job and the whole ST2 vs. ST3 thing.

good:
- written in C++, launches, works and feels very fast
- has plenty of very useful addons, options and shortcuts (e.g. that create html snippets)
- works on all major OS
- supports all kinds of programming languages

bad:
- not free
- hard to get up and running for someone new to it, because you need to know what packages to get and how to configure them
- not as powerful for certain languages as some IDEs like PyCharm

>using software built in Electron (HTML+JS)

yeah nah buddy, fuck your shit

Uses less memory than Sublime though.

>not using cudatext instead

It actually runs better than many native IDEs and editors with similar functionality. Most of those are probably chock full of retarded synchronous I/O from ~2001 though.

Plus web browsers can actually render text properly for monitors; some older IDEs have serious antialiasing and hinting issues with many good programming fonts.

Why would I change my terminal color theme from a stranger's recommendations on Sup Forums?

Works for me and most of my coworkers, a solid step up from vim/emacs/notepad.

It's really fast and has a lot of useful features like MMB for placing multiple cursors

i think vim is just fucking circlejerk meme

It's great and I've used it for years but Visual Studio Code has caught up and dare I say even passed it.

Plus VS Code is open source.

tfw evil
tfw spacemacs

>putting emacs/notepad in the same league as vim

The only bad thing about it is that it's proprietary

it's fine
I use emacs
i heard atom is nice too

I like it a lot. Nice features and package system, lightweight, customizable. Would recommend for scripting languages especially. Admittedly haven't tried VS Code yet.

I think it's awesome, but I'm not going to pay $70 just to get rid of the annoying message

So I use Atom

Same thing, but free

>b-but github nu-males!
>b-but web technologies!

Don't care

it's just for people who're too dumb to configure vim

sublime feels really ghetto to me, when I am used to visual studio. Shame there is no decent ide for web dev shit

sublime text is a text editor, visual studio is a full blown ide retard

It looks like it is a cheap knockoff of kate.

This. Also. Sup Forums is going to bitch and throw a hissy-fit over it having Chrome under its hood and also bitch about the resource/memory usage. Lol! Runs fine if you're packing even 2 GB - 4 GB RAM minimum. Runs fine on my t420i packing 8 GB RAM.

Sublime is OK, but paying for a text editor seems silly when there are many great FOSS options available.

I also tried Atom, but it is slow and doesn't handle bigger or minified files well.

I'm still sticking with Vim for most things.

>Shame there is no decent ide for web dev shit
if i count only the most popular languages for web development, jetbrains did literally a full IDE for each language and MS have Visual Studio for it

I use Geany.

Sublime is decent, it's very decent, I just don't want to have to pay $70 for it

I used it for a full 1.5 years in a full-time professional job, and I guess I put up with pressing Escape every time the nagging message came up, but now I can't be fucked with that so I use Atom which is literally the same thing without the price tag.

Exactly. "Hurr durr it uses more resources" - Christ unless I'm running it on a fucking toaster who gives a shit?

Do you use it then? For me it's now a full-time replacement for Sublime, which was formerly my full-time editor.

>I also tried Atom, but it is slow and doesn't handle bigger or minified files well.
Are you running it on a toaster?

I have never, ever experienced "slowness" issues in Atom in comparison to Sublime

I will admit one *really* annoying quirk with Atom though. You can't change the tab size in each file individually (in Sublime it's in the lower right for each open file). In Atom you have to go into the settings, and it applies for every file you have open. Which is really fucking shit. Because I am often editing things in different languages, some with 2-space tabs and some with 4.

It's really slow even on my high end Core i7 desktop and Core m7 laptop, both have at least 8GB RAM and NVMe SSD.

It's a fucking text editor or minimal IDE, there is no excuse for it to start or open files slower than my OS boots.

I love lightweight looking text editors.

For me it's literally never been slower than Sublime, ever

OS X, i5, 16GB RAM

Sublime is surprisingly good at opening large files. I use it to inspect big dumps of data if I'm too lazy to use something like grep or sed to go through it.

Other than that, it was cool when Textmate was a thing, now it's overshadowed by other editors such as vscode.

It was never a competitor to vim and emacs, once you know how to use either of them, you just see how inferior other editors are.

And of course it will never be a competitor to IntelliJ or Visual Studio.

When I see someone using Sublime, I just see them as lazy fucks that don't take the time to setup a proper work environment.

>now it's overshadowed by other editors such as vscode.

I've not used this, is it good?

I'm on OS X and I don't use any Microsoft languages, I use Ruby and all the web shit

Is it good for this sort of use case? Is it lightweight and free of bullshit?

It's faster than VS Code, Monokai looks a lot better on Sublime, but for some reason I prefer VS Code. I think it's the way it handles plugins more easily.

As many have already stated, its an OK text editor.

I personally much prefer VSCode (fast, open source, and kicks atom ass any day, specially with how much work the devs are putting into VSC). All in all, its a /comfy/ tool for webdev/data analysis (I write a lot of Python).

Am I the only one on Sup Forums who uses notepad++?

I don't need scripting capabilities or anything fancier than code highlighting, regex searches, indent level changing, and "extended" replacements for newlines, tabs, and other characters.

this is the correct answer. the people who complain about web developers are cs grads butthurt that they don't make more.

> Editing your code using a website.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Excellent program, well worth the price. It's my personal choice, but I wouldn't advise other most people to bother because VS Code is free and has an approximately equal (better for some purposes, worse for others) plugin library and feature set.

The advent of Atom and VS Code has eaten away at their userbase heavily.

Atom

>BUH BUH ITS NOT OPEN SOURRZZEEEE RMS SAY DAT BAD
>I TOTALLY LOOK THRU ALL MY CODE EVERY TIME I BOOT UP XDDDDD

get fucked you worthless autistic fuck.

I use it for C. I don't need any bells or whistles and it works on both GNU/Linux and Mac OS.

Exactly this.
The "your do I save a fil-- buffer ? Let's google it/take a look at my 4 page cheat sheet" phase is simply unbearable when you're used to "modern" stuff.

It has no support for linting and debugging which is a huge deal breaker. Use an ide from jet brains

Look good to be honest

If I hadn't fell for the Vim meme I could use Sublime, looks sane

But it's not free so I think I would just use Geany which looks even better

But Vim is so good I see no reason to replace it with any other text editor

>Atom
While I use Vim myself I don't hate Atom

I don't think there is any animosity between Vim and Atom

Those that disrespect Atom are probably underpaid MS shills, shilling for the trash known as VS Code

it's bad because it's not vim running inside tmux running inside a terminal emulator.

Vim > Emacs > Atom > Brackets > Gedit > Notepad++ > Notepad > Sublime > ALL IDEs > ed > `echo >> ""` > nano > VS Code

>You can't change the tab size in each file individually
what the fuck

I regularly have ruby, javashit, groovy and c++ files open at the same time, having the wrong tab sizes would drive me nuts

>Atom
Is atom ok now? last time I tried it, it struggled to open a folder with shit loads of files.

Lots of ram is the secret to electron-based shit being tolerable

Electron stuff on my mbp is awful because of the pathetic 8gb ram (with all of 6.5gb available after the intel gpu has its way with things)

My imac and work pc (16 and 32gb ram respectively) are fine with electron stuff

it's fine now

>Brackets
People use Brackets?

It's basically atom from before the electron cancer existed

Serves more purpose as a case study for building native software with a cef-based ui these days

>he doesn't even use elflord

You should give micro a go. It's an improved... just realized its an improved nano, not atom.

Still, micro is okay for light stuff.

pros
>lightweight
>supports a lot of languages
>looks good
>easy for beginners to use

cons
>not free as in freedom
>does not support GNU/Linux natively
>not as nice as vim/emacs for power users

>It's a fucking text editor or minimal IDE, there is no excuse for it to start or open files slower than my OS boots.
Sorry but you are either lying or you have worse hardware than you claim (or a problem with your OS, dunno).
I measured it many times already and while what you say was true for a long time, nowadays atom is as fast as my sublime 3. Reason are mainly some sublime packages (which are starting extremely slow compared to atom) that I need to have feature parity between sublime and atom.

Unfortunately, people like to copy&paste this without checking themselves. Also, I'm pretty sure your claim might be correct on an HDD (maybe even on slow SSDs).

autism

>Sublime Text may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use.

How difficult would it be to open it with IDA, look for that check and change it?

Sure there's probably a cracked version out there but I'd like to do it myself and it is the only software I use that isn't open source.

There a blog out there with the necessary offset and change (copy&past'able to sed) for various versions on all 3 major platforms.

Or you can just google "sublime 3 license key" and activate it.

Vim is not comfy at all.
I don't use it as often. I manage to learn all the hotkeys and stuff when I need to program something small but a few weeks/months later when I try using it again I find myself having to learn it all once again. I did that like five times so far and I've given up. I'll just use some GUI text editor that doesn't expect me to read a manual to edit some text and nano for when I REALLY need to edit something in the terminal.

how is it having a below average IQ?

Simply the best.

t. Vim User

Atom is a worse VS Code.

atom is better user

>So I use Atom
What, a text editor known to be as fast as Microsoft Word?

packagecontrol.io/packages/Color Scheme - Yotsuba
Literally the only reason I use it desu senpai-tachi. I didn't even write tb᠎h, I actually wrote out desu senpai. If you can't deal with that, you're a fucking double nigger.