Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ [Open]

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1adf52eVeOM
youtube.com/watch?v=uc8NsDqZ4OA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Screw you, Chas.

First for vintage mechanical timex for 14€

I want one, wher'd you get it?

What movement is this

Is this worth $1300

ETA 2824-2 or Sellita SW200-1 (movements identical in construction)

Automatic

25 jewels

28800 semioscillations per h – 4 Hz

Incablock antishock system

Case

Stainless steel with 6-screwed exhibition back

Diameter 43 mm

Height 11,5 mm

Domed sapphire glass

Water resistance

5 bar

Power reserve

38 h

I wouldnt pay half the price for it desu it doesn't even have a minute hand

Some eBay auction, they usually go for over 60€ though.
Look for "vintage Timex camper"

If you like it, go for it.

Vianney Halter Deep Space tourbillon

youtu.be/1adf52eVeOM

Nvm I was being a retard it does say the minutes. It's neat but not worth the price

Apparently this simple movement Timex developed for their disposable military watches, someone on WUS called it "#24 calibre".
After so many years it's working precisely though. The sweeping is smoother than on an Amphibia which is surprising.
The case of the watch is made of plastic which it's a cool factor imo.

I was hoping someone could give insight on the internals

Anybody know anything about this watch/brand?

Hand-wind, picked it up on ebay for like $25 because I liked the aesthetic. Might swap the strap for a metal bracelet though.

Never heard of it. Looks kinda gaudy but I like it t.bh.

I dig it how does the world time work on it

If you're buying a watch with a 2824 or sw200 for the movement, it should be in the $300 neighborhood.

You just spin the dial so that the hour hand in your time zone is aligned, and then you can reference the other cities and their position on the clock face to determine what time it is there.

For example, right now in US Eastern time it's 7:10PM, so I spin "New York" to be at the 7:00 position. Then I can see that Tokyo is at the 9:00 position. Because New York was in silver and Tokyo is in red, you swap AM/PM.

So I can know that if it's 7:10PM in New York, it's 9:10AM in Tokyo.

>Delhi
>Calcutta
>Karachi

hmm.

POO

you paid for that 14€?
Ebay said to me "min 60€"

wouldnt pay that much but if you like it go for it, its a legit brand do

Yeah I paid 14€ shipped.
eBay germany is a wonderful place for watchfags.

Has anyone modded a 8926 before? How would I polish off the invicta logo on the case.

Should I swap the dial for a real Rolex sub dial ? :^)

That gorgeous craftsmanship..

Rate my watch guys costs 5000$ retail but I got it for an amazing price of 550$!
Did I mention it's waterproof to 1 km?

pozer

why bother your going to be at least $400 for a rolex dial

Who is Invicta Watch Group?
Meaning “invincible” in Latin, Invicta watches were actually made as early as 1837. Founder Raphael Picard wanted to bring people high quality Swiss watches at affordable prices. The company began its history in La Chaux-de-fonds, Switzerland – a land well-known for its watch making endeavors.
Swiss watches have been highly coveted by many parts of the world, and Invicta watches picked up in popularity. The name was well known and well established for more than a century. In the history of Invicta watch, one thing has remained constant: Invicta watches are known for their quality and beautiful design. This is as true today as it was a century ago.
Sadly, the “quartz invasion” of the 1970s pushed Invicta watches out of the picture. Invicta watches all but disappeared. It looked like the long history of Invicta watches had finally come to an end.
The History of Invicta Watch Group, Today
The good news is, the history of Invicta Watch Group does not end with the 1970s. In 1991, the descendants of the original Invicta watch name re-formed the company. Today, Invicta watch group is dedicated to bringing you high quality watches that are still affordable and beautiful in design – the same commitment that Invicta Watch was known for more than a century ago.
“In 1837, Invicta handcrafted its first watches with the belief that fine Swiss timepieces could be offered at modest prices. Today, powered by that same maverick spirit, the once-tiny company has become a fire-breathing dragon, worshiped by collectors, but feared by the rest of the watchmaking industry. In 1991, descendants of the Invicta family re-established the brand holding firm to the company’s founding principle. With rebellious zeal, they quickly recognized that Invicta could give a large segment of the watch-buying public that had long been ignored by other companies, unprecedented access to the fine Swiss quality they lusted for, at prices well within their reach.

fuck me user you got the bargain of the decade right there $4500 off that thing
and 1km water resistance thats better than any rolex

Today, Invicta watches are growing in popularity. With many varied styles and types of beautifully-crafted watches, Invicta Watch Group is dedicated to bringing you the very best at prices that anyone can afford. Invicta Watch Group uses cutting-edge technology and the best possible materials to make their watches, including anti-reflective sapphire crystals.
With many different product lines, Invicta Watch Group has something to please everyone. The Angel, Pro Diver, and Elite lines are some of Invicta Watch Group’s most popular. Every year, Invicta Watch Group strives to bring original, beautifully designed watches out of production for consumers.
When it comes to quality, Invicta Watch Group is definitely a name that you can trust. Why shouldn’t everyone be able to afford high-quality, carefully crafted, beautifully designed Swiss watches? That’s Invicta’s goal, and they do it very well.
After all, Invicta Watch Group is one of the fastest-growing names in the watch making industry. The History of Invicta Watch Group, and the quality of the watches that they produce, should speak for themselves. Invicta Watch Group is a name you can trust for high-quality, fashionable timepieces.

Can't believe you guys are against a fine swiss company that deliver quality watches at a fair price, while you like and approve of shitty gaudy Russian slav watches and plastic toy casios... What's the deal?

what a bunch of marketing wank

how do shills discover this place

I'm not a shill. And I don't own any invictas yet but I'm looking into the brand to see why there's all the hate. Wow they copied the Rolex, but when expensive watch companies make a homage everyone is in love with it.

>Why shouldn’t everyone be able to afford high-quality, carefully crafted, beautifully designed Swiss watches?

Because this isn't the USSR

>I'm looking into the brand to see why there's all the hate

if you've ever looked at an invicta (which at this point you have) and don't know why they're hated, it's too late for you. just buy your quality invicta timepiece for 95% off and be happy.

>Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts... This you can trust.

What type of watch would Conan the Barbarian or his father wear?

>worshiped by collectors, but feared by the rest of the watchmaking industry

HAHAHHAHA im sure that part is true
look out rolex omega patek Audemars and vacheron invicta coming through

I'm not sure if there is a watch Conan would wear.

I have a feeling that the most expensive watch companies are run by the same people who control the diamond industry. You know that diamonds are completely worthless and very common they have to destroy tons of them each year to make the supply artificially low. Its the same with these "fine time pieces". Look guys it's solid gold and there's only 500 in existence! It can be yours for the low price of 300,000$ don't worry these are made by master watch craftsmen who have been trained since birth in the mystical art of horology. Nah bullshit your fine time pieces don't cost more than 1000$ to make. They have 10000%-100000% profit margins. The only reason they're so expensive is because the demand is very low, 99% of the population cannot afford turbo expensive watches. Strictly for the egotistical rich men who believe it is the finest clock money can buy and they will be able to tell time more accurately than All the plebs.

Thoughts?

hey i've owned 4 invicta's and they have been the biggest pieces of shit ever

5th one's the charm

nothing wrong with it really with seiko didn't put sports on there dials

We're any of them the 8926 with the NH35A movement?

na ill stick to my seiko's

yeah to be fair thats one of the better ones but why did they have to make it look so much like a seamaster/submariner

Well I want to get it and mod it similar to pic related

save your money get a skx007 much better and there is tons of mods for them

Should I settle for a tudor black bay 79220B or keep saving up for my dream watch a rolex explorer 214720? I really like the explorer, but the prices on it are double what is offered for tudor counterparts cause eta movement etc.

rolex all day everyday for the simple fact if you have the tudor and someone asked about it your going to have to explain to them what it is and they will think of it like what pulsar is to seiko

if you have the rolex you dont have to say shit
plus the rolex will forever hold value tudor who knows

nice ""genuine"" rolex

hahaha, fake chrono daytona from the prop department?

have you already got the faded tat on the forearm?

have this exact watch, bought for this exact reason. Has been a good watch. (wear it every day) and had it about a year now. Have been looking at omegas lately but they are just too much money to spend on a watch. I will likely keep this for years.

Can anyone help me ID this watch? Passed down through my family, it was my great grandfathers and I just got it today. Must be 50+ years old. Cant find anythinf about it online

That's a watch

Thanks smartass, heres a better pic

It will be my first watch above $400 so I was thinking I should do a halfway point kind of deal first to satisfy the craving.
How is the movement? The fact that its a brand new type of movement and not an eta with no track record is kind of freaking me out. I have the same problem with omega being too pricey for what they are.

Amd the back

That's actually pretty fucking funny. As is most things with John Belushi in it.

I just watched that movie again the other day, a true classic.

your best saving for the rolex and make it the last watch you ever buy wear it everyday look after it and love it keep it serviced and it will last the rest of your life dont bother with cheaper watches that you will want to replace

movement keeps excellent time. Only ever had to mess with it when i cross time zones. I have also taken it on two dives (25 ft max depth and a 80 ft max depth) so far no issues. No idea how it will hold up in years to come, but early days have been good. I actually like that I am not wearing a rollie. Multiple women have mentioned to me, hell even my mom that rollies are for old men.

meh.. I'd rather an skx007 man that watch is the classic

just save man, youre not that far off. You're like
70% there

May i know what you have in your collection? It is interesting to know. Good solid choices my friend

I kind of wanted a 14270 or 114270 and then was looking at the 214270 since they finally fixed the hands but had no idea it was $7k. There's no way it's worth that much.

>I kind of wanted a 14270 or 114270 and then was looking at the 214270 since they finally fixed the hands but had no idea it was $7k. There's no way it's worth that much.

39mm for the Explorer is too big anyway. A no complications watch has no justification for being that size.

I would get the 14270 and have a watch that is probably going t go up significantly in value when people realize in another decade or so how fucking retarded this trend towards wrist wall clocks is.

youtube.com/watch?v=uc8NsDqZ4OA

wtf I love Patek Philippe now.

Seiko people, what are all the differences between the SBGE013 and SBGE011?

I bought a 214270 short hand for 4.3 used

Do you mean 7k new? Buy used man

Didn't look hard into it, but one is 39mm and the other is 41mm. Different indices. Different bracelet. One has crownguards, one doesn't. Fairly different watches.

does anyone know if it's possible to overwind a Seagull m222s ?

I'm not familar with mechanical watches, do they break if you wind them too much?

Great watch, but fuck Seiko for not adding a day to that date. Turtle is still better.

>rate my watch
>screenshot.jpg

This is why these threads are shit. Kids showing off what they don't have.

>not detecting the obvious joke

Or is this post the joke? Who knows?

I would but I have a tiny wrist.. I want the skx007 but 47mm is too big for my wrist while the invicta is 40mm.....

Hey bro look at the ceiling someone wrote gullible all over it!!

>skx007

42mm my dude. Plus they wear smaller because of the thick bezel.

Thoughts on Seven Friday? I thought it looks kind of charming desu.

Give it to me straight guys don't sugarcoat it. Am I too much of a wristlet for the skx007? Here's my wrist with the 37mm snk809. I really like the skx it seems to be the best value watch in the market..

Do it. Put it to the test in the ocean, you might get some sun on those pasty arms.

You could get an skx013

Wow nice. Ok thanks skx007 it is. Is the bezel made out of ceramic btw?

I want the skx007 or nothing.. Does my wrist look too small? I have a fake panerai to show a big watch on my wrist.

Pics of the Panerai.

Bezel is not ceramic. You won't find ceramic at this price point.

Now before you guys roast me for having a fake, I actually bought it at a thrift store before I was into watches and thought I found an expensive watch to sell, took it to a watch place and they said it was fake.

Here's a better pic

yes, your wrist is smaller than mine and I find the big-skx too large. I have an skx013 but the dial is a little small to my eye for a dive watch.

Yeah, it's too big.

It looks fucking HUGE but the SKX will look smaller. They're 45 or 47mm right? What's your wrist size?

It's 303-5456km and 47mm with crown.

Just measured my wrist is about 6.3inches

Sucks to be a wristlet senpai

Wtf I mean 45mm

This random watch seems to be 42 or 43mm

It screams hipster-bait to me, but if you dig the unique look then more power to you m8.

that is basically the limit of what you can wear
any bigger and it will look silly

>implying it's not already over the limit

So I can rock the skx007?!

>implying there's rules to wearing watches

How do you even read time from a clusterfuck of dials like that?