/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Old Thread: Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
take at least 10 seconds to google first

Other urls found in this thread:

del.icio.us/
my.mixtape.moe/cchtkx.rar
stackoverflow.com/a/3075150
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Chrome just updated by itself and all my bookmarks are gone please tell me theres a way to get them back please

Your daily backups of course

go in to
C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

look for a file called bookmark
if its 2kb large, its likely nothing
but look in to it, you might have your shit there, or in some backup file in there with the bookmark in name
also did you sync with google account, might have them on another device

I'm trying to set up Outlook.

I don't think I'll use this feature much so it's not that big of an issue.

When I click on "view email in browser", it opens in Internet Explorer instead of my default browser.

Also in the default programs in pic related, the boxes that are selected for Internet Explorer can't be unselected.

Help please

Sorry to bother you Sup Forums but I got to ask. My PC keep shutting down. When I reboot , ethernet won't work but wifi does. Only my PC is connected via ethernet. The only way to get internet back is by unplugging the modem and wifi , and reboot everything. Who the suspect here ?

Modem?
PC?
Wifi?
Ethernet cable/port ?
Inconsistent electricity ?

I need a new set of eyes on this , I can't solve it!

Thanks

Nothing. But i did find a text post of all my bookmarks saved from before 2016 so at least i have those, any bookmarks i had last year are fucking gone, thanks anyway
Also what can i do to prevent this shit from happening again

>Also what can i do to prevent this shit from happening again
Your daily backups user

Is there a program on Linux that takes a Windows ISO and makes a bootable USB version of it? Kind of like UnetBootin, but for Windows ISOs.

What do you mean with wifi because you are on a PC. Laptops have wifi, a PC doesn't. whats wrong?

dd

both smartphone still have wifi while my pc using a ethernet cable doesnt work

Use shit like delicious.

del.icio.us/

It might be that there is an IPv4/6 issue. Your external access only has IPv6. Anything not v6 will get blocked. Your smartphone conforms, your PC might not be able to.

Can I use two htaccess files?
For example
One in public_html
And one in public_html/images ?

I'm trying to make a cookie less domain

Dont set cookies then

If correctly (and probably default) configured, you can have a .htaccess file in every directory. If a directory doesn't have one it uses the parent directory settings. But test this to be sure.

Is there any way to completely disable a laptop's optical drive?
The eject button is on the bottom of the fucking laptop so it's constantly popping in and out whenever I rest it on my lap or anything that isn't a 100% completely flat surface. It doesn't even read CDs anymore so I was going to just fucking smash it off with a hammer but I'm wondering if there is a non-nigger way to solve this problem

Try this:

>open device manager
>find your network adapter
>right click -> properties
>power management
>uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device"

see if that works

whats the easiest way to rip netflix videos?

torrent them

Order some kind of generic plastic filler.

Got a source link for that image, boyo? No pedo thoe.

What is the absolute best alternative to the Dropbox public folder for someone who's not terribly savvy with webserver shit? I do have a server and a domain, but I'm not sure I'm smart enough to set up the required software to make it function like Dropbox did for me.

I primarily used the public folder to quickly link people images exactly as I saved them (no compression, no file type changes, etc.), and also to quickly send people files in general rather than dealing with external upload services (i.e. if I want to send someone a zip of something). It was also nice to use the service regularly for quick transfers between my phones and my PC, but I'm less concerned about that honestly.

is sealion worth installing? i have limited bandwidth so i wont install it if its not good

im just doing c++ and im autistic so i keep missing parantheses and stuff when i write in plain text editors so im checking out ides

ftp

I can use FTP to move files between my PC and my server and vice versa, sure, but that doesn't really help me for sharing those files with others, does it?

>sealion
Do you mean CLion or something else.

You give them a username and password(or share one or even turn on user if you dont care about security) and then they download the file or upload the file

Use filezilla

ya

see i am autistic

That'd work for people I trust, but doesn't help me for more public usage (a direct link to an image for posting on a standard forum, or a .zip of a pack of mods for a game).

>direct link to an image
>pack of mods
FTP the said image in to the web server

google drive lets you generate a share link and there's ac exrension to "download" to gdrive

Why is LGA 1155 pretty much dead? I can't find a decent brand new mobo to save my life. Everyone fucked off to haswell.

What do you expect from intel sockets?

Why is my time wrong?
Actually. Why is windows's default NTP server wrong? This is stupid. I updated it manually and it still said 3AM. I changed it to ntp pool's NTP server and now it's correct (4AM).

Is it actually the case that Microsoft can fuck up NTP? Surely that would have hit the news.

I'm very confused by all this and would like an explanation.

done , ill see if it helps.
thank you!

This stuff is safe to delete right? Also why is it appearing on my secondary drive rather than the boot drive?

I experienced this also a long time ago. In the end I disabled windows NTP client and installed the version from ntp.org.

But yes, 15 years we were joking about our contractor and teasingly ask: whats his NTP port.

A cleaver constructed ntp attack can instantly crash your entire system. Much more potent than DDoS.

On Windows 7, is there a fast way for me to install the updates I need while avoiding the telemetry updates? I'm not up for cross checking some 250+ updates in one sitting.

How do I use proxies? Do I need to download a proxy program? Because I saw all these different proxy IPs on some sites and I have no idea how it works, if I have to put them somewhere etc

How can i confirm please ?

What could pic related exactly mean?

Best free alarm clock for win7?

It could be that either your PC or a device in your network like a router, firewall or modem is not properly functioning for IPv4. Overlapping DHCP, broken DNS configuration, missing default routes.

You asked for a new set of eyes. I told you something crazy to think about. It is based on personal experience.

Which display would Sup Forums rather use:

>Display 1: 1080p, 500:1 CR, ~0.5cd/m2 black depth, 95% AdobeRGB coverage, TN panel (but with unusually good viewing angles for a TN)

>Display 2: 1080p, 800:1 CR, ~0.3cd/m2 black depth, 58% AdobeRGB coverage, IPS panel

So basically it comes down to color gamut vs contrast/blacks. I'm not going to be doing any professional photo editing or anything like that on either of these laptops, the only thing that matters to me is which one looks nicer for watching videos.

What does dying feel like?

Contrast for the day and colour for the night.

So I should go for the wide gamut TN display if I'm mainly going to be using the laptop inside?

I have a 60hz monitor and recently got a 144hz monitor to replace my main screen.
I would like to use the 60hz monitor as my secondary screen for watching videos and stuff while gaming/etc, but the monitor stutters a bunch making watching videos on it rather unpleasant. My goal is to get them work at their highest refresh rates at the same time without the stutter.

I can solve this issue weirdly enough by disabling aero (Win7 user), but I really don't like using the shitty classic theme.
Installing a third-party theme also didn't work and the stutter came back.

What can I do to solve this issue? Preferably without having to drop money on another monitor.
Can I run the 60hz monitor through integrated graphics or something while keeping my 144hz monitor hooked up to the gpu?

Daylight makes a screen more difficult to read. Contrast is then important. So if you use it mainly during the day, contrast is an important issue. During the night even the weakest screens seem bright, colour divergence would be most important.

I have a couple of speakers that I want to use to play music from my computer, but the amp they're connected to doesn't have an aux jack. Am I shit out of luck and have to get a different amp?

Turns out I'm retarded. Disabling hardware acceleration in chrome fixed everything.

I think my hdd is having the click of death so I'm planning on transferring the remaining uncorrupted files to a new hdd. Whats a good brand I can buy that won't shit the bed in a year or so?

my tech hoarder grandma gave me a perfectly good laptop. I was debloating it and I think I messed up the sound? even after and reinstalling and updating the drivers over and over again I'm not getting any audio unless it's up all the way and then it's only a faint sound in the left speaker. wat do?

i know torrents are old news but is there any free vpn that i can torrent a few gb on per week and not get any c&d letters from my ISP?

pls help

>overclock my CPU from 4.2ghz to 4.5ghz
>only a 2% advantage instead of a theoretically correct 7% advantage (used Cinebench)
So is this normal?

so i just did a fresh install of win7 pro that i got from (what i thought was) a digital river clone

on theres a dban iso chillin in C:/

chances are this is a botnet iso

Got a 25-foot AmazonBasics HDMI cable sending a 4K 60 Hz signal from my GTX 1070 to a TV. Every now and then the video and audio cut out for a couple seconds and then come back in. It doesn't seem to be connected to activity. Would it be worth trying a new cable or is the graphics card more likely the culprit?

you can make a .bat file that will do everything for you, if you do a quick search you'll find something about it

My CPU is running around 40-50C and my stock fan that came with my Intel i7 4790k just went into a VERY loud overdrive for no reason as I was opening Steam.
No fan regulating programs were being used at the time.
What the hell just happened. Have I been Gabend?

wouldn't worry about it.

My phone has stopped remembering my wifi password. I have to re-enter it each time. How can I fix this?

Better alternative to Windows photo viewer? Loads images way too slow.

Looking for something lighter and faster.

Impression Eyes
Honeyview
Irfanview
JPEGview

I use irfanview, but Impression Eyes is IIRC loved by Sup Forums for being extremely lightweight (a single .exe, no install necessary, i got it from a mega.nz link here way back), and the rest I see on program rec lists and stuff. Never used Honeyview before.

irfanview is shit at viewing gifs though. Really I dunno what to recommend, sorry. I use irfanview anyway tho

Actually it loads images alright, but the startup is too slow. Takes like half a second before you see the image after double clicking it on the desktop.

Thanks senpai, I'll check these out.

What is the general consensus on what Vorbis quality level is the equivalent to MP3 LAME VBR V0?

I'm considering using Vorbis on my phone so that I can fit more music but I don't want to potentially give up audio quality.

Hey sorry if this is awkard, but I googled "Impression Eyes" and found the second link was the Sup Forums archive linking to the mega link for the program, which I used. But it's down. Mega has started deleting accounts for three months of inactivity, so it's to be expected.

Do you have a file upload site you can link me? So I can upload Impression Eyes for you if you wanna give it a go. I don't wanna risk my mega account being looked into if I upload this n it gets reported for pirated software or something.

Thanks, but don't worry about it. I'll just check the other ones. Also found something called XnView that I'm gonna check out too. Irfanview looks nice too.

Irfanview's comfy imo cause it looks old as fuck desu. I feel sorta lost when the entire UI of a program is soft, and everything. Cheers.

by the way i uploaded it anyway for archival purposes, or something:

my.mixtape.moe/cchtkx.rar

had to make it a .rar cause it wasn't taking the straight .exe for whatever reason

yfw 32bit irfanview needs a plugin for unicode and 64bit can't even use unicode at all

Would changing +/- data pins' places in usb cable result into bitwise NOT-ting of data?

Test your windows iso checksum

Hello everybody. I bought a new laptop a few months ago and I need to offload some pictures and videos from my phone onto it. The thing is, I used to import them to my old laptop, then save those to an external hard drive. If I were to import my photos and videos to this new laptop, it would import everything again because it has no data of what has already been imported in the past. This would be a waste of space and a lot of deleting to do. So my question to you is, how can I change the location of where it checks for already imported media? Thanks.

Honeyview is the tits. Settled with this.

Both XnView and Irfanview looked comfy and familiar, but they were still just a bit sluggish than I wanted, and I couldn't get them to cycle through a folder without coming to a dead stop at the last image or showing a prompt where I might accidentally open up another folder. Both started up faster than Windows Photo Viewer, but Photo Viewer cycled through images much faster once it was running.

Basically I just need a glorified instant thumbnail viewer since I do all my edits in Paint or Photoshop. The editing features in Honeyview are minimal, but it's so fast. And all the familiar shortcut keys I needed were already set up automatically except for the zoom.

>Extracting program
>Extracting to SSD for some fucking reason
>Everything slowing down cause SSD getting full
>Go delete program along with everything else I can find that I'm not using
>Still fucking full

Mere hours ago this shit was at about half, what the fuck?

That's what you get for using "come on sense: current year" faggot. And since it's a SSD it's probably gonna kill it too.

Well yeah this is the thread for stupid questions right?

Is there some hidden files I'm not getting rid of?

download WinDirStat and find out what's up

WinDirStat is your friend

its all in your %appdata% friendo

Ok, this apps been helpful as fuck, for whatever reason it seems Google is th- YES EXACTLY!

Ok so what do I do now? I don't want to delete anything critical

delete what doesn't look important

The temp folder is the culprit, but pretty much everything in here is named gibberish, I'll just look around though, thanks.

After two years in community college, i have the option to transfer into either a bachelors in Computer Science or a bachelors in Software Develelpment. Which one would be more practical and better for job searching straight out of college?

And I got it, god tier program this is, thanks fellas.

Why happened to google image search? I keep getting stupid results like "cartoon" or "portable network graphics" whenever I try to use is to find source. It wasn't like that before.

in javascript, what does this mean

/^(.*?)_m\.jpg$/,

It's a regex.

matches the X in X_m.jpg where X is any non-newline character and it optionally exists

see
regexr.com

characters*

What's the point of the question mark? Isn't * zero or more?

stackoverflow.com/a/3075150

I think it's done in this case to prevent stuff like "X_m.jpg_m.jpg" but I don't think it works

WebM for Retards is showing inaccuracies with subtitles and audio, audio will be off sync, and/or subtitles will be horribly off-sync

Not only those, but a glaring inaccuracy is its ability to fuck up the timecode on the trimming function. Something that it was working just fine prior to all the design overhaul. Example being; I'd pause a video on MPC-HC and copy the timecode, say 15:54.527. I'd go to paste it or copy it in WebM for Retards like normal. When WebM goes to that timecode, it's way farther in time than it should be

How do I fix this shit so it works like it should? Webm related is my problem

How do you use noscript?
I get that it blocks all scripts and you're supposed to allow the ones that aren't malicious and are required for the site to function but how are you supposed to know which script does what?

guesswork based on the domain name and some trail-and-error

so is 8 gigs of ram enough for years to come or is it already not enough?