If Apple were to release thicker laptops, without cd drives...

If Apple were to release thicker laptops, without cd drives, with efficient processors and all the space left occupied by batteries, how much battery life could they achieve? Am I the only one who sees a market for laptops that last more than 24 hours?

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-Late-2016-2-GHz-i5-without-Touch-Bar-Laptop-Review.182374.0.html
ibtimes.com/egyptair-flight-804-investigation-did-co-pilots-overheated-iphone-ipad-trigger-fire-2475722
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Do you actually see yourself working 24 hours straight somewhere without access to power?

Not a lot of people go 24 hours without access to a power socket. You go to university and you'll either get through the day on battery power alone or you'll find a socket. Go to work and you'll just leave it charging for the day. Even if you travel a lot, you'll probably be able to charge your laptop at the airport or on a train or something.

>Am I the only one who sees a market for laptops that last more than 24 hours?

No, but you're the only one who sees a market for 10+lb macbooks. Apple even got rid of the 17" Macbook cause people said it was too heavy.

I'm not OP, but I'm often travelling a lot because of my work and don't always have the time to sit down and find a power socket.

Of course, I rarely need to travel for more than 24 hours, but it does sometimes happen, for example when going from Europe to Taiwan and having three connecting flights. Working straight for 24 hours is never going to happen though.

At that point, I'd prefer having a detachable extra battery.

>cause people said it was too heavy.
[citation needed]

Good point.

Apple got rid of the 17 because it was insanely expensive and few people bought it. Stop lying
See all those laptops with battery life advertised over 10h? It goes down to 3-5 when doing something more consuming, like using pro apps for your WORK. So yes, I see myself having to need more than that without having access to a socket

What's a CD drive?

>If Apple were to

Nobody cares.

thread discarded / 10

There is a 99Wh limit on how big of a battery you can bring on a plane, so they can't really make a huge battery.

>tfw no modern ARM or MIPS-based Compaq Armada.

I can fill up my car with fuel for 1000 km but that doesn't mean I have to go so far at a stretch

I have an X220 and with the 9cell+slice it's got around 22h and I gotta say, that's useful. Though I don't think I'll ever buy a Macbook, even if it was more efficient and useful. OSX puts me off.

>too heavy
bullshit, for a 17" laptop it was pretty light. they dumped it because 17" laptops must be marketed as desktop replacement for people to buy them. have you seen anyone running around with a 17" laptop in the last few years? they're now almost exclusive to the gayming sector.

>People pretending that even if they could work for 24 hours straight, they would

Enter more than one battery in one device or hot swappable battery.

It's a very, VERY limited market. Yes. Most people buying a mobile computer are perfectly fine with a much lighter and slimmer machine if they get a work day power, and new macbooks easy last over 10h for normal workloads either way.

I travel a lot too and don't recall being in a situation where it was an issue. Though I travel mostly through Europe, so there are ways to charge it on connecting fights, which was rarely necessary.

>new macbooks easy last over 10h
LIES
the battery on the new macbooks is the worst they have ever made. not that a macbook would be a reasonable choice even if the battery lasted 200 hours

>notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-Late-2016-2-GHz-i5-without-Touch-Bar-Laptop-Review.182374.0.html
11h in a pretty heavy wifi test, consumer reports get crazy 15-18h numbers after Safari bug is fixed. Complain about no ports or whatever you want as much as you want but the battery life is based as fuck.

You can get a 15" Retina Pro that costs as much as a 17" did back then, and they sold more 17" systems than Mac Pros of the same age.

It was light for a 17", but as you said, nobody wanted a 17" anymore because it's a huge size, which also means huge weight. It was heavier by a large margin that other Macbooks, and while still one of the lightest 17" laptops, it's clear where Apple has moved to, with laptops with 11" screens. The more portable market. Which means, weight is the enemy. And batteries are amongst the heaviest components in a laptop.

powerbooks were 6-cell

People value ligh weight and battery life above all else in the laptop form factor.

Apple will eventually bin Intel just as they binned ppc, and go to arm/soc for this reason.

Maybe 3 hours since OSX is utter fucking shit at battery management.

>normal workloads
aka browsing facebook
you'll get half of that if you do anything more intensive than that

Don't know about newer MacBooks, but my 2012 was advertised as 7hrs, it lasts easily 6hrs with good brightness and wifi on, listening to music and using several apps all the time.

Just get a USB-C power bank, problem solved.

Got that on my noportsbook from 2015 without pretty much same workload.

Don't design around air travel.

No, I'm with you.

I think it's pretty important for enterprise use.

It's not like the neckbeards could consider that.

>Don't design around air travel.
Don't worry, Applel doesn't.

You could always get a gay-mind laptop. Otherwise I think clevo makes something like that.

ayylmao

Amazed it hasn't happened sooner.

>gay-mind laptop
Aren't all those fucking x86 and have really gay designs?

coffee cup shelf

Hold up, are they referring to the battery actually venting/thermal event/catching fire or swelling? Full disclosure: I work at an Apple store.

Current battery size is mainly limited by the rules of carrying batteries on planes; there is a maximum power of battery that can be carried on planes, hencecompanies focus on reduced power consumption asopposed to increased battery size.

>I work at an Apple store.
My condolences.

This is overkill to me personally. I have a power inverter in my car, I always have a charger in my laptop bag and if I really need hours out of my machine I'll disable all the radios, select "increase contrast" and turn the brightness down.

I have a Macbook Air 11inch and for a netbook the battery is very good, I've gotten 9 (!) hours out of it being conservative.

Use safari for browsing when not plugged in it saves a lot of battery.

>The real tragedy that we should be talking about is just how much USB-C fucking blows.

I built a hackintosh recently with a gaymer board and it brings USB 3.1 A and USB-C both of which are able to convey the same information its just that USB3.1A happens to be backwards compatible with every USB device in the world while USB-C is a shitty imitation of a lightning cable that is THINNER and LOOSER than any other cable I've ever ever used.

FUCK USB C

;_; thank you
Quitting soon though!

Except in normal usage, it's fucked. Even iVerge reported on that.

Its all about being comfy. I already feel bothered about charging my phone every 2-3 days, let alone do a ritual of finding and plugging my laptop everytime I want to use it. Same reason with portable batteries, I want something that just werks.

OP actually has a point

It's a good niche, go for it OP

>all the space left occupied by batteries
>if for some reason your laptop catchs fire, the whole building explodes

>Its all about being comfy.
Increased weight does not sound comfy if you're dragging your laptop around. And if you aren't, then you can just have it in charger 23/7.

youre right, although I wouldnt mind trading cd-rom and other stuff for extra battery life

Airplanes limit the max battery size that can be in a device to about 100 watt hours.

That's why most computers stop at a certain point.

>new macbooks easy last over 10h for normal workloads either way
"normal workload" in business talk is idle

>"normal workload" in user talk is streaming video
Fixed.
And yes, 10 hours.

>t. mactoddler

/thread

HP has you covered.

If Apple's laptops had any higher capacity batteries they'd be illegal to take on a plane

It's not illegal, airline to airline dependent, you will need to ask permission of the airline each time you fly.

FAA has a 100Wh restriction.

That is literally never checked on any flight.

You're right, I'm sure an apple product would fly under the radar.

It is literally still a federal law.

won't have problem with 2016 pro model with 45wh meme batteries. (smallest ever in retina macbooks)

>If Apple were to release thicker laptops, without cd drives, with efficient processors and all the space left occupied by batteries, how much battery life could they achieve?
It wouldn't matter, they wouldn't be allowed on airlines so it's pointless. They should have just stuck with the 99.5Wh battery that was in the 2015 and earlier 15" models, as that's the largest allowed on a commercial flight without approval from the airline.

Jesus, I didn't think they'd go down in battery capacity. Should've known better given Cook's in charge now.

Way under. :^)

ibtimes.com/egyptair-flight-804-investigation-did-co-pilots-overheated-iphone-ipad-trigger-fire-2475722

99,5 battery from 15" has gone down 76.0 Wh.

They could not get into 10 hour battery life they promised anymore with 2016 models so they decided to remove time left indicator in every mac now. Not only that but Applefags keep taking this shit deep down their asses and let it pass.

>inb4 muh macbook 2016 gets 10 hours!

yeah go fuck yourself. Tim enabler.

It's worth noting that the devices were stored with accelerants.

Accelerants don't set themselves on fire.

No fucking shit. The fire was most likely made worse by their presence though.

Nice meme reaction image by the way, haven't seen that a thousand times or anything

Lenovo used to make laptops that work with 2 x 9 cell batteries.

Pic related, a T430.

Slice batteries aren't a ThinkPad exclusive. Dell, HP, and surely others have also made them.

that looks retarded

Not nearly as retarded as having a laptop with much less battery because you care more about its aesthetics.

I saw an HP with a slice battery in this thread. Didn't know anyone else made slice batteries.

But it's functional. The slice battery is hot-pluggable and you can charge it separately from the laptop. I wish it had a docking port passthrough though.

Ring ring, it's the T560.

Im All for Luddite tier, thick, repairable laptops but disk drives are obsolete. I think I've used the one on my desktop once in the 4 years I've had it installed.
I'd just like to see a 10 hour laptop that actually gave ten hours while being used and at a decent screen brightness.

About tree fiddy

>For a lithium ion battery, the Watt-hour rating must not exceed 100 Wh. With the approval of the operator, portable electronic devices may contain lithium ion batteries exceeding 100 Wh, but not exceeding 160 Wh and no more than two individually protected lithium ion batteries each exceeding 100 Wh, but not exceeding 160 Wh, may be carried per person as spare batteries in carry-on baggage.

The hard restriction is 160, 100 to 160 is at discretion of airline.

Who gives a fuck about airplanes
Most people go on an airplanes once every 8 years

Gaming laptops could actually be portable portable
Also "8 hour battery life" is a lie on every normal laptop i've owned

Millions of people fly every day

Imagine if you had to charge your watch every week.

That's what computers are like right now.

Regardless. It's not about the potential. You can make your own laptop with ridiculous battery life. But manufacturers won't do it because they need to give you granular improvement if they want to milk everything they can out of you.
It's the way of the free market.

This. I have a 17" laptop as a desktop replacement.
It's very convenient to be able to move it around but it's not something I put in my backpack all the time as I used to with my 13".