How are you serving your home? Home server, network, storage and media center general

Other urls found in this thread:

supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10DRC-T4_.cfm
supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon/C236_C232/X11SSL-CF.cfm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nice housefire.

>powerbill.jpg

I pay for shit like mail hosting, because I don't want to maintain important services.

I just started snapRAID for parity on my plex server.
Really liking it so far.

basement's a bit crowded these days

Got a pc engines apu2c4 with opnsense working as my router.

Pic related is for the most part my file server + backups of my desktop computer. It hosts some random crap once in a while too, but I intend to split those off to a different system later. I don't feel comfortable with hosting internet facing services on the same machine that hosts my files and backups.

Want an offline backup system too, but not sure how i'd deal with that. Talk my brother into giving me his old microserver n54l and use that for backups maybe. Make it wake up once a week and run rsync.

What are you doing with all those shitty PCs?

My home Server is a Mac mini 2014 with ESXi on it.
It currently runs two Windows Server 2016. One for Backup and SMB shares (3 2TB HDDs in Windows Build in parity RAID)
The other one is for privately and unrestricted internet access while I'm at work.
Thank you based VPN technology

Don't run raid 5 with 2tb disks it's essentially worthless.

What is babby's first home server? Just a computer with no monitor with remote access?

Well no. 1 out of 3 drives can fail without losing my data and I got around 2x2TB storage space.

Works like a charm bro

Something like that I suppose. Just a random PC, your old one, or just something you got for free somewhere.

That's where I started. When I got my current system, I uninstalled xorg and kept the old LGA775 system running as a server.

How is the usage?

Are you using a VPN ?

I have a FreeNAS box with a 10TB volume shared 2 different ways: SMB sharing for windows and NFS sharing for my ESXi servers. The ESXi servers are fully stored on FreeNAS so upgrading my ESXi servers and adding more capacity is very easy.

Just bought some 10gig networking cards and as soon as I can confirm they're compatible with FreeNAS and ESXi 6 i'm going to buy a 10gig sfp+ router off ebay.

kek

Still rocking my Deban-running Microserver, maxed to 16GB and with 12TB in RAID5 as storage (4x4TB).

DHCP and DNS with dnsmasq, file sharing with Samba (installed in bare metal OS)
Systemd-nspawn containers which run two instances of Transmission-daemon (one for public trackers, other for private), Asterisk, ejabberd, amule, and a monitoring one which runs nagios/cacti/other stuff.
And a KVM instance running Server 2016 as DC, but haven't put too much work in that one lately.

I don't need to serve anything, I just got an external storage pod connected to my one and only computer.

It has a max capacity of over 64TB so I'm set for the near future.

I've got an IBM tower server on 64GB RAM, 6TB RAID10 (12x1TB), and two octacore Xeon E5s.

It runs sshd, httpd, private ircd, and pfsense. On the LAN side it acts as a media server. Backs up monthly to LTO5 tapes which are kept in a gun safe.

What do you guys have in such servers?

Plex
OpenVPN
IP camera DVR (blue iris)
Das it mane.

Are you running FreeNAS in a VM? I've always been told that that's a bad idea, especially in combination with RAID.
I'm currently looking at setting up my own server, I basically want a NAS and VM playground for stuff. So I'm either looking at normal Ubuntu server with samba shares + KVM VMs or something like you've done.

No, FreeNAS is running on bare metal, there was no reason for me to install it on a VM, also i'm relying on freenas for my VM drive storage, so freenas has to be up and running before my vms are. I do have one service running in a freenas jail though, opencloud. works really nicely.

pfSense IS virtualized though, and its really neat.

Just ordered some 10gigabit sfp+ cards on ebay, as soon as they're confirmed working with freenas and esxi6 (they say they are but who knows) i'm gonna buy a Quanta LB6M 10gig switch to take advantage of the full potential of my freenas box.

Great price, bet they're loud as fuck though

it runs our reality in a qemu-kvm and i'm lighting candles and saying prayers that it won't just stop

oh dont worry i'll be taking care of the noise.

If you didnt notice i'm running a poweredge 2950, loud as all hell under full load normally. The noise is easy to mitigate though, first make sure you have 2 psus installled not just one, they share the load so neither of them spins up past a whisper. second, solder some 47ohm resistors to the 4 cpu fans to drop their rpm range into whisper territory. The extra heat hasn't bothered my server for the past 5 months.

I'll probably replace the internal switch fan or volt mod it depending on which i think is safer.

About 45-55W. The two 6TB drives requires about 10W each. The 3TB drive requires about 5-6W I think.

The files are served with netatalk, ssh for remote control and file transfer from windows (winscp). Sometimes I run game servers on it. It's pretty overpowered for what it does I think. I'm the only user.

I don't use VPN yet, but I'd probably setup a cheap VPS elsewhere for that.

TS140 running Proxmox serving up dokuwiki, nextcloud, openvpn, unifi controller, and more soon.

Network is ERL + Ubiquiti AP on two LANS. One for wired homelab stuff the other is for all things wifi.

I use it as well. 3x3 TB data plus 1x3 TB parity. Feels good man. I'll buy 3x9 TB disks soon, then use the 3x3 TB as parity.

My parity is on USB-3 disks, that way there is no energy wasted in normal operation.

Feels good man. Really.

Read any documentation on raid 5 rebuild, anything over 1tb is asking for a disaster. But go ahead :)

Once wife and I get a home I will love to match what some of you guys have. I'm pretty pleb in comparison at the moment but I'll get there. Currently configuring a Home router out of a junk'd thinkcentre. One day I'll have my NAS and ip camera setup.

Why did you have to include wife in that sentence you fag?

maybe his wife is a SysAdmin and owning a highly virtualized server cluster has always been her dream faggot

My server is a Thinkpad X61 (firewall, routing dns/dhcp, torrents, mp3 streaming, httpd/mysql, VMs, wiki and mail) with a 500 gb disk.

Roast me.

I think your X61 is probably already doing that.

My power's been going down in quality and I'm thinking of getting a UPS. How heavy can it be before I have to get rails or some kind of support for it, instead of just bolting it to the front two posts of a rack?

>running oldstable
What the fuck?

>mfw people use server racks to serve a small home
>mfw the electric bill
>mfw I could provide the same services with maybe 3-4 raspberry pis, and 1 layer 3 switch

simplicity is efficient and beautiful. over complicating things to circlejerk yourself is not.

Well I know I don't need a great deal in terms of power. One server, a switch, the pfSense machine that serves as my router, my modem and access point. Everything I have doesn't use 1.5kW.

But a while back I thought that this stuff was getting too messy so I picked up an old 22u rack on craigslist and put my shit into it. I'm worried about the weight of the UPS I'm gonna buy (something like 35lbs, I think). I'd rather not have to find a set of rails or something that fit it, but I'm a bit leery of hanging that much weight just off the front two posts. Should I be or am I underestimating the strength of rack nuts?

nope

Runs testing now, screenshot is from 2015.

>orange wheat beer

yuck.

If you could, you would be, and making tons of money off it.

You're here posting though

Take a new screenshot then fag

for filesharing you'd get much better speeds with ftp or nas

I have no reason to run a home server.

>LTO5
How much did the drive cost?

$400

I have a server with FreeBSD 11 running AES-256 encrypted root on zfs with 11 10TB WD Gold in raidz3 (giving me 72.8 TB usable diskspace) that functions as a router for my 1/1Gbps FTTH (IPv6-only LAN, unbound and void-zone-tools providing ad and malware blocking for every device), webserver (all publically accessible processes running in seperate jails), nfs and smb accessible media storage, mediacenter, VPN target if I'm on a network I don't trust, SQL server, torrent box with full kodi integration (episodes and series are downloaded, and added to kodi automatically), tvheadend for DVB-C, IPTV and SATIP TV with ~1000 channels), hypervisor through bhyve with iohyve providing a convenient interface.
Backup is done with zfs send to LTO6 tapes and to my unlimited spideroak account.

>tfw bought this shit 3+ years ago
>tfw still havent set it up after moving 2 years ago

That sounds really comfy.

Comfy how? Not sure what you mean, but it's probably because I'm drunk and a bit tired.

>
>That sounds really comfy.
What in the holy fuck does this god damn word mean? For the sake of the rest of us, learn to communicate. In before triggered.

It means it's a really nice setup.

Am , I was wondering that too but I just thought I was being stupid because alcohol.

posting
>http, ftp, ssh server
just for fun

Well, it is.
It's placed in a little cubby-hole underneath my floor in my house that has ventilation to the outside where it's always in shade (so even in the warmest summer, it doesn't get that hot - drives have never been or 41C).
So realistically nobody really knows it's there.

Oh, and it also serves as a capture point for 4 720p infrared PoE IPtv cameras and hold 5 weeks of rolling video.

Almost like that other one it runs actually an ircd just for some tests.

I really need a project to do on this two things. i also own a chip

Cheap Dell desktop sitting next to my DSL broadband with dual NICs and a Wifi card.

Running Snort, Bro-IDS, Iptables, DHCP Server and airodump-ng (so I can harvest SSIDs from the mobile phone of the nigger who tried to steal my car and the other nigger down the street who lets his dog shit all over the sidewalk). Also runs Node.js to query liberal media and send /pol to The Guardian if they actually allow comments on their articles on Muslims and Immigration - which happens about once a fucking month. That's not running all the time though, really need to fix it up as a permanent web scrape.

Best 100 dollars I ever spent - solid as a rock and completely noiseless, has been keeping my network cereal fresh for two years now. Never needs to reboot.

WDMyCloud for torrent storage - two Raspberry Pi's running OSMC for kino playback on TV and projector.

Fucking comfy af anons.

NB, I'm not a paranoid schizophrenic - all that IDS is training mainly.

>screenshot a terminal
>jpg
What the fuck is wrong with you

raspi doesnt do shit yet, deb server hosts plex and usenet shit

are...are you a God?...

linuxuser.jpeg

i was on putty when i took that. .jpg it's windows default

png is default for paint on win7

No, just an oldfag (both in age and time spent on Sup Forums) and a network admin (I'm ) with too much money and enough free time to do with what he pleases.

It's worth noting that once you get used to this kind of setup, you don't tend to notice it.

>CCIE
>not a God

Once upon a time CCIE havers could decide their own salary - that's no longer the case.

>this entire fucking post
I feel like a low-level scrub witnessing a lvl 255 high wizard mass-murdering an entire field of mobs with a bunch of insta-casted AoE spells.

i used the screen capture tool.

>Once upon a time CCIE havers could decide their own salary - that's no longer the case.
yeah lol, I know, back at the turn of the century. Definitely still outside my meagre capabilities tho user, fkn kudos.

, , , , I'm currently building an all-flash server with 11 1.2TB U.2 NVMe SSDs in raidz3 (should get me around 8TB diskspace with +10GBps read and write and 1M IOPS) - waiting on Intel and Supermicro to launch their new Xeon E5 v6 and dual-socket motherboards respectively - just so I have a new bhyve host.

I think you just put everyone and their build ITT to shame.

Well, it's more to prove that it can be done; I just get the benefits of a very fast hypervisor out of it.

Which reminds me, I need to source enough DIMMs to get at least 1TB memory for the machine, although I'm hoping I'll be able to get 2TB.

>1TB memory
For what purpose?

For - it's a hypervisor, I need to be able to freely allocate memory and not starve the host OS (freebsd with zfs).

Actually, if supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10DRC-T4_.cfm gets updated with a Xeon v6 version I might be able to combine my current server and hypervisor into 1 machine. 3TB memory seems like it should be enough for a 78TB pool and an 8TB all-flash pool.

3DS LRDIMM ECC memory isn't easy to source though.

Don't mind me, I'm basically using this thread as a pastebin to brainstorm.

What hardware is this all on?

A supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon/C236_C232/X11SSL-CF.cfm with an E3-1585 v5 and 64GB memory with 1 NIC functioning as WAN and the other as LAN, as well as a vale(4) switch.
My ARC cache hit ratio isn't very high though, hence why I want with what's mentioned in .

If one of three disks fail in a RAID5, the others will be stressed a lot more while rebuilding your RAID. This often causes another failure before rebuilding even finishes.

HBA in passthrough is fine.

Damn, that must be expensive. I guess there's no such thing as overkill.

>Overkill
Sorry, that word is not in my dictionary.

Like this

Whats your hardware setup?

That looks like fucking garbage. Why not just get a couple old 8U chassis and use those?

somebody gave me an old server and i can't get this shit to work 2bh it's missing a lot of drivers
i hate IBM

What other rasp pi's do you guys setup?

Nigga wut

Agree, i've a Raspberry Pi + 4Tb Lenovo NAS + Linksys Router, running several shit, including personal cloud, ssh tunneling, backups, media streaming, vpn, bla bla bla.

Details please. Is there a newer pi coming out anytime soon?

I used to use an old pos pc me and my friends built from parts we had lying about to run chat and game servers

just bought a think center for $50; it'd DBANing now...

I want to set up a media center but i'm really new to this computer stuff.
Is the Raspberry Pi any good or is it just a meme?

did you scan for deleted files first to see if there was anything interesting? I always do that when I come by a used drive, just out of curiosity

Damn that's cool ! i've almost the same configuration and services; some are public and others on another devices in my soho network. I use a Raspberry Pi as a route, 2 soho NAS and some local services (adding another security layer) being accesible through the main reversed ssh tunnel connection or through another one, redirecting it to TOR network; also serving as TOR AP so every device can connect safely (and slowly :/) or to the public AP.

I use a ThinkCentre M900 for my server.

several keks