/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

For questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/web/
a.co/8KqUbE2
f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.fedorahosted.freeotp
noctua.at/en/nh-d15s
aliexpress.com/item/Breeze-Audio-TPA3116-HiFi-2-0-Audio-Stereo-Digital-Power-Amplifier-Advanced-50W-50W-Sound-good/32664243769.html
ifatwww.et.uni-magdeburg.de/~madaus/boxentext/kb3010t.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My modem is not giving dhcp to non windows os, what can be the problem.

It only works if I connect thro wireless lan

I found this way of protecting against ARP spoofing:
ip link set dev arp off

arp -s

The problem though is that after a while the Internet connection will fail. What am I doing wrong?

say i want to view the 2015 source code of a webpage, i am able to do that?

Yes, if there's a cached version of the website.

archive.org/web/

Yeah, with Wayback Machine if someone saved a snapshot.

but what if there isnt a cached version? because i have the url of a 2015 document from that webpage and if i enter that url and search the document shows up, but if i search the source code of that same webpage i cant find that document there. How does that document show up if i search for it by manually entering the url, but not when i search for it in the webpages source code doesnt that mean that this document must be stored somewhere on that page?

Why is VLC a meme?

bumping this

What's the modern way of programming 2d games? I still stick to my old and lovely [spoiler]visual basic 6[/spoiler], but I dunno how long will it be compatible with modern systems.

Why are you asking? If there's a newer version then install it. If you're considering installing from F-Droid because you think it might somehow save you from the botnet, it won't. It's called """Google""" Authenticator.

wanted to try elementary os but my pc is 32 bits so it only supports Elementary OS Freya, and its not even on elementary's site anymore to download (was removed somewhere between 2015~2016 i guess). Would it be fine to use it or would there be security/performance implications using it?

Because it's the least competent FOSS all-in-one player from :
MPC-HC
MPV
VLC

Actually, the one on F-Droid it's only called Authenticator. I was asking if this version serves its purpose just as same as the Play Store one

Because there comes a time when some software needs to be redone from scratch, when code and components need to be cleaned, when years of additions and bloat have produced chaos and mistakes that can't be cleaned up without laying everything out and re-configuring it from scratch.
When lessons learned during the development over the years that couldn't be applied before, need to be applied in a new clean slate.

VLC is long long looooooooong overdue on this.
It's a steaming pile of shit as it is now.

Is there certain 2.5" HDD enclosure that Sup Forums recommends?
Or anything goes?
a.co/8KqUbE2

/csg/ might have something.

I spilled coffee on my keyboard
One of the keys stopped working
I took it off and cleaned the insides with rubbing alcohol
Key still doesn't work
Is it gone for good, or is there something else I can try?

There simply are better alternatives on Windows (MPC-HC) and *nix (MPV)

if its a rubber dome keyboard it would require you would have to examine the traces on the membrane for damage

They make good slaves, why would we spend money to get rid of a cheap labor force?

How can I spot and avoid children posting on Sup Forums?
There's the Discord red flag, but what else?

I was afraid it would come to that
Thanks

Not going to Sup Forums.

>shouldn't we put a stop to it already?
You can't put a stop to it, because people need a religion.
Dumbasses who have too much free time;
dumbasses who are too lazy to study and work and influence society through tangible venues such as directly becoming a manager, businessman, politician, engineer, scientist, builder, maintainer, cleaner;
dumbasses who substitute actual work with activism to put it in a TL;DR fashion.
They substitute their personal inabilities, laziness, or just lack of personality and independent thought, with a religion.
It can be God or gods, it can be political, it can be ideological, it can be identity politics, but it's all just a smokescreen and basically the same fucking time-wasting shit.

Even these 500 000 tramps who made a women's march would have done better as humans and members of society if, say, they decided to "protest" that day by the venue of every woman planting 1 tree (500k people doing this would actually help nature),
or every woman buying some food on that day and distributing it to the known poor people in the neighborhood (helping the needy),
or anything.

What we got instead? 500 000 tramps polluting the atmosphere by gas being wasted on a fucking march, by time that could have been used on making their job places more productive being wasted on some stupid march,
the time that could have been used cleaning up the streets and making the environment nicer being wasted on a march that produced even more garbage, by people who are garbage.
That's what you get from activism. Waste of time and garbage people lacking self-awareness.

Did you really just spend all this time replying to a deleted post?

It wasn't deleted when i was posting.
Also, if you're gonna start something, then do it right and finish it, that's my principle.

is there a file compressor online where i can compress my .zip files down to maybe the smallest it can be? (like around a cozy 5MB to 50MB?)

i need to send something quick to a certain developer friend

i recommend this Sup Forums is fucking trash with diamond-quality threads coming at random and rare.

Depends on the file type.
What do you want to send? and why online?

>What do you want to send?
a pack of sprite sheets
>and why online?
the dev is on discord

unless you're talking the compressor, it can be offline software or some shit like that

7zip is the best practical compression archive format. It uses LZMA internally

>it can be offline software or some shit like that
Peazip.

But I doubt that you'd get anything more than 1 - 5 MB decrease in file size since most of these are images.

i'll look onto these

thanks

>5MB to 50MB
Good one

I compressed 82 MB file into 2 MB with lzma

I compressed 2TB into one byte, you just need a 2TB dictionary to decompress it

lzma just means you need more ram for better compression. Everything in the archive is enough information on it's own for lossless reconstruction of the data.
it's not hard to improve upon deflate.

whats a good place to start learning about calibrating my tv colors and things?

Is there a way of choosing what folders the DLNA Media streaming chooses for serving?
Alternatively, what's the best way of setting up a local server from my PC to the other devices on my network?

You might want to check out FreeOTP (made by Red Hat):
f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.fedorahosted.freeotp

It's basically the same thing as Google Authenticator but fully FOSS.

not using a good network so you can avoid having to do this sort of shit
because spoofing the mac address is really that hard

I'm planning to use the NH-D15S for my next PC build, along with the Fractal Design Define Nano S lacking the side window.
According to Fractal's website, the maximum height allowed for the CPU cooler would be 162mm for the case lacking the side window.

Here's the problem, on Noctua's website it lists two different heights:
noctua.at/en/nh-d15s

On the Specifications tab, it states the CPU cooler's height (with fan) is 160mm. It even shows a picture on the tab, clearly showing it's 160mm.
Yet, if you download the information sheet from the Service tab, it states the height is actually 165mm.

What the hell is the actual height of the NH-D15S with the NF-A15 fan attached?

Are WD Blue hard drives usually loud? I've only ever had one and it's A LOT louder than my Toshiba one, it sound almost like a fan. Maybe I just got a dud?

On Manjaro, I updated it recently and restarted my laptop. Now, when I try to log in, I get an error message that says "Could not start kdeinit5, Check your installation."

I have no idea what is causing it, especially since it was working before. What do I do?

KDE issues.

Why is Firefox constantly trying to reach this Facebook server? I had this redirected to localhost in the hosts file.

Witch email service you guys recommend?

Privacy, fast, easy etc.

check the exact URL in wireshark.

this is more of a stupid math question

is it possible to write a definite integral as an indefinite one?

like what range would a definite integral be if it were to have a range?

Can Windows escape a VM

I managed to figure it out. An outdated package was doing it.

KDE?
Also how did this happen?
Did you run -Syyu?

So I have a pair of old German 4 ohm bookshelf speakers. I have bought a chink amplifier (Breeze Audio TPA3116) and I threw it together quickly. The amp didn't come with a power supply so I used my old router's 12 V brick. The amp is rated to be able to run on 12-24 V.

I used the output of my laptop's sound card, turned to 95% volume, while the amp was on ~20% at comfortable volumes. My experience was mixed. On low to comfortable volume I couldn't hear almost any bass at all. On high volumes the bass was pretty good, but the mids and highs got too loud for casual listening.

My stupid question is: if I get a 24 V PSU, will the sound become fuller at a lower level or is it not affected by that? Or should I look into software equalisation?

Link to amp: aliexpress.com/item/Breeze-Audio-TPA3116-HiFi-2-0-Audio-Stereo-Digital-Power-Amplifier-Advanced-50W-50W-Sound-good/32664243769.html

Link to speakers: ifatwww.et.uni-magdeburg.de/~madaus/boxentext/kb3010t.html

cock.li for all the above

It happened when I last updated the packages yesterday. I've had Manjaro for a good while and installed infinaliity fonts when I first got it, but I never knew it was outdated and no longer supported, so it somehow prevented me from logging in.

I fixed it by accessing the terminal from the login screen and replacing the infinality packages with the default packages (cairo-infinality to cairo, etc.) using pacman -S, and it worked.

It most likely did mess with the kde, but I have no idea in what way it did.

Will things run slower if I boot of a USB?

I need to use linux to run some stuff which uses a lot of CPU / GPU, will I see a big speedup if I install the OS onto my hard drive?

Netbook is running slow and occasionally crashing.
What would be the first thing to change? Would it be worth getting a new HDD?

I have ffmpeg producing a hls stream (ffmpeg -re -i input.mp4 -f hls output.m3u8). It appears to do what it's supposed to: creates the video segments and appends the playlist with the new ones as they're generated.

The problem is, if I try to play the m3u8 file in vlc, it gets stuck when it reaches the end of the playlist and completely locks up. According to the debug messages, it periodically reloads the playlist, but the text it parses remains the same instead of containing the new segments. Opening it myself in notepad, it does contain the new segments though.

I made a simple script that does nothing more than open output.m3u8 every few seconds and save the contents to output2.m3u8; if I then play output2.m3u8 in vlc, it does get an updated playlist whenever it checks.

So is it ffmpeg that isn't writing the playlist properly, or vlc not reading it properly?

It could be literally anything since you provide no information.

What are your specs? CPU, RAM, how much space is left on disk.
What OS are you running? Version as well.
Did you install anything that caused that problem, or did you notice any pattern?

With context no one can help you.

Laptop can find nearby wifi networks, but cannot connect to mine.

>can connect to it fine on phone, so it's not the router most likely

>ran just about every network repair on laptop, winsock reset, dns flush, reinstalled network adapter

same issue
Why

Yes, that's (normally) how definite integrals are defined.

If F(a) is the indefinite integral of f at point a, then the definite integral from a to b of f is defined to be F(b) - F(a).

Hi, I have a problem setting my Ocaml environment on Ubuntu 16.04.

As you can see on the left side of pic related, there seems to have a problem with OPAM's ppa, yet it let me install utop, core, core_extended and async ...

On top right, you can see my .ocamlinit, which has everything it needs to use the Core library in utop.

Yet, on bottom right you can see that I can't open it in utop. What should I do ?

Yes, much slower. If you run your system from your USB you'll be limited by the read and write speeds of the USB, which are much slower (three to four times slower) than a hard disk's ones.

You only run an OS from a flash drive if you're testing it out or if it's something like Kali Linux where you really want to take it with you, otherwise you should install the OS on your hard drive if you don't want to take a massive performance hit.

how do you clean your glasses Sup Forums
I'm getting new lenses because my current ones are full of scratches, but the reason they're full of scratches is because I clean them with my shirt
It is soooo fuckin inconvenient to have to reach for a microfibre cloth everytime you have a smudge on your lens
so what the fuck is the solution here
i know no one actually does the microfibre thing so are scratched lenses just an inevitability?
would love to hear your feedback

my boss asked me about some program to index everything in our office. all the tables, chairs clocks, pens, computers, pot plants etc
can you recommend any good (possibly free) software for it?

Protonmail.

Asshole friend leaves charged capacitors in the lab. What can i make to safely and quickly safe check and discharge them without electrocuting myself?

As simple as it gets in functionality, so it isn't a time waster either.

Also how do i discharge and dont kill myself with the bigger ones ala microwave

I wipe them with one of those damp make-up removal wipes, and then with a dry kitchen towel.

I don't know how to read processors specs.
Overall, how does the i3-4005u compares to the m3-6Y30 and the N3450?

The N3450 is the shittiest among them and the m3 the best?

Dishwashing liquid and rinsing them off with warm water I think is the only proper way to clean them. Just don't touch the lease and I don't see how you would get smudges, I always carry the cloth around with me anyway because it's better than a shirt.

>wiping with not one, but two towels
do you ever leave your house?
with your glasses on?

Microfiber is the only way. I don't wear glasses and I always keep some cloths handy. They're good for other stuff.

There have been a number of VM escape exploits in the past. Also, there have been cache attacks that detect secrets running on the same hardware and more fundamental exploits like Rowhammer. Properly locking down a VM is really difficult.

It can make certain things more convenient with the maths if you
define ∫ₐᵇ f(x) dx as ∫-∞ᵇ f(x) dx - ∫-∞ᵃ f(x) dx or Δ ∫-∞ˣ f(x) dx = ∫-∞^∞ H(b - x) H(x - a) f(x) dx = ∫-∞^∞ ∫-∞^∞ δ(b - s) δ(s - a) H(s - x) f(x) dx ds

What's your solution?

Would a PCI SATA card slow down my read/write speeds?

maybe

glpi? excel? libreoffice calc?

I have a few stupid questions, given I'm studying for IT, but have 0 experience in setting up a server for a small business or a school.
How would you set up one for roughly 250 users?
Which server would you choose for a business with 12 workstations and 2 workstations for graphics?

I don't know either but it just gets smudged time to time
from fingers, maybe water or some shit, sweat, whatever
and how do you carry the cloth exactly?
in your wallet?

same to you, i dont understand how you guys are keeping multiple cloths handy at all times

Anything metal with a plastic handle, like scissors, plyers, screwdriver...
There may be loud pops.

Screwdriver, just place the metal part so that it connects both of the capacitor's poles, hold it like that for like 2 to 3 seconds. That'll short it out, i.e. discharge it. It goes without saying don't put your fucking hands on the metal, hold the screwdriver by the plastic end while doing this.

depending on?

the particular card

Get yourself a satchel/purse/bf with cargo pants and a satchel.

do you know how much a decent card will usually run?

this isn't about my solution, I'm just trying to clarify how you achieve yours
My lenses are already scratched so I just use my shirt, i have no solution

yeah sorry honey i need a man's man solution
and one that doesn't involve cargo pants and satchels

Stuff goes in backpack, backpack comes with. Stays in car for short stuff like popping into a store.

I applied for a job at SpaceX as a flight software engineer. I passed the first software quiz, now how do I study for these phone interviews, the six hour programming challenge, and the on site interviews?

I know a lot of modern C++ and I usually just use the standard library, but from the quiz I've gathered that they mostly do C-style stuff, and I've ony worked with pure C a bit.

You're letting yourself be bullied into constant inconvenience? LOL

You could just stick a cloth in whatever vacant pocket you have? I usually have at least one, even with pocketless leggings.

this is so ridiculous
I'm happy that these things work for you guys but I'm just not going to start wearing a fuckin backpack everywhere just so I can carry a fuckin microfiber cloth
this shit is absolutely looney

Do you have an engineering degree?

no, better

It's also for a lot of other stuff, like power bank, water bottle, snacks, condoms, hat, gloves, tools...

It stays in the car or corner of office or wherever. Nothing loony about it.

how??
i don't know if i could make space with 4 pockets
just between phone wallet and keys it's already taking up 3

please help

The title clip feature on Kdenlive isn't working for me. I have the main video on Video 3, and then I put the title clip in Video2/1, and it doesn't appear on the screen. I've tried using a transition, but all that does is show the title clip with an opaque background. There's no documentation anywhere on this.

Get a smaller cloth. There's some that can fit in a wallet. The thin kind of microfiber, not the fluffy stuff.

like i said, it's great if it works for you, but I don't need 50% of those things 99% of the time, and I'm also going to be very pissed if I'm at the mall and have to travel all the way back to my car to restore my field of vision

I just keep it in my pocket