Objectively

How far away are we from creating sentient androids we can use as companions or sexbots?

Objectively we don't even know how consciousness works.

Of course we do. It's just a finite amount of experiences and memories combined with the ability to gather information from the input of our 5 senses and syntesise new information from all of the above so that we are able to make decisions and respond to outside stimuli in a way that benefits us and/or our society.

why would you want a sentient sex bot? just make one that emulates the right reactions

So just like an hard drive with a reasonably big neural network and similar sensorial inputs.

>dumb robot that is programmed to act like it feels, but it doesn't, just pretends, so the whole experience is ultimately meaningless
vs
>smart robot that is programmed to fall in love with you, reciprocates your feelings and everything they do is REAL, thus meaningful

hmm I wonder which one is better

Well, the ability to learn would also be useful, but not too much, we wouldn't want to create a robot revolution.

>smart robot that is programmed to fall in love with you
not for long if it's sentient.

I doubt it's possible for a being to be sentient without the ability to learn. But again we have no proof whatsoever. I can't even prove that you're a sentient being. For example I could assume that I'm a lonely player in a complex game sim and this could be correct. That would also explain why the masses are mindless zombies.

>robot learns to friendzone you

That's the beauty of it anons. Robots are bound by their programming.

>For example I could assume that I'm a lonely player in a complex game sim and this could be correct. That would also explain why the masses are mindless zombies.
That's a pretty narcissistical reasoning. Sure you could argue that most people aren't particularly bright, and you'd be right, but to deny they are conscious is just silly.

>of course
>says some guy on a japanese cartoon website
That's reasoning, not consciousness.

That's a description of how our mind interfaces with the world, not by any stretch an explanation of consciousness.

>to deny they are conscious is just silly
Yes but my point is, prove me wrong. On what basis aren't you an extremly advanced chatbot that answer correctly to whatever asked? I only know for myself.

If you expected something more...divine, i'm sorry to disappoint you, but consciousness is really that simple. I guess I could've added metacognition to the list, but I assumed that was taken for granted

There are things only another human would know. You just have to ask the right questions

Lol you're wrong. Not accounting for memory, emotion, or subpersonalities.

>memory
I did specify memory and past experiences.
>emotion
Entirely programmable. Heck, we are programmed ourselves. Don't believe me? Except for a few basket cases, everyone feels love. sadness. anger. longing. They're not learned, they come wired into our brain.

That's exactly my point. We have no idea how they're wired. Same with drives like hunger and using the bathroom. We know roughly what parts of the brain control these things but not how they're wired.

> sexbots
> caring if they're sentient

Jesus, nobody even cares if real human hookers are sentient or not.

Would it really be that hard to design the AI needed to emulate the thought processes of a human hooker?

Shit, Bill Cosby specifically DIDN'T want his fucks to be sentient -- that's why he drugged them. He was basically a necrophiliac who preferred his corpses warm. That could probably describe at least half of the potential sexbot customers.

Just how hard can it be to develop an AI for a human-sized fleshlight that can play a mp3 file of "ooh ooh baby fuck me harder" on it's mouth speaker when its vaginal pressure sensor is triggered?

But user, I'm a sadomasochist and I definitely care if my partner is suffrring or not.

>nobody even cares if real human hookers are sentient or not.
i smirked, still a hooker that can pretend well to care isnt the same thing as when you're young and handsome and really can unwillingly have a paid girl get really into it*1, when you perceive your sex partner enjoying it too its another level entirely, but ofc sexbots couls simulate physical reactions just fine

*1 well, that or the hookers that can reeealy fake it good enough

>objectively

Sup Forums gets more "stupid" points each passing seconds.

Sign me up.

Try to imagine how it's going to feel being cock-blocked by a sexbot.