Hey Sup Forums, sorry for being a noob, but I need help with pic related. I've tried out Ubuntu...

Hey Sup Forums, sorry for being a noob, but I need help with pic related. I've tried out Ubuntu, and I really like the feel of Linux, but i'd like to move to another distro because I don't like Unity launcher. Is there any other distros that have a panel like this? Likewise, is there any like Arch where I can make the panel alternate like this? Thanks!

You can do some hacky shit with XFCE

Distro is (kinda) independent from your window manager. And if you don't like how your window manager looks, just change it.

As far as I know, Unity is the only one that has the panel merging and global menu, if that's what you mean. But if you're not a fan of unity, you can check out other DEs and WMs without completely wiping your system, just do an apt-get for GNOME, KDE, Cinnamon, etc.

>Install Antergos
>Select GNOME as DE
Your dreams just got real.

My biggest problem with Unity is the seach function, it just doesn't work for me and there is no way to customize it or change it. So there is really no other distro that at least allows customization for panel merging?

Any distro can use any window manager or desktiop environment. Just install a different one and change it at the log in screen.

--

I really like KDE neon lts. It has the newest version of stable KDE 5.8 on an Ubuntu lts 16.04 base. It is binary compatible with Ubuntu. Don't get Ubuntu KDE get this instead.

i3 has stacking mode like that

I'm running ubuntu mate op. completely different feel and look. Mate also has a tweaking tool to get the gui to emulate different styles.

>panel merging
Mate supports it out of the box. I like running two panels myself. I'm used to it from originally running ubuntu 8.04

Xubuntu looks like it's exactly what you want.
I don't like unity either.

>Select GNOME as DE

gnome 2 is simple, lightweight and customizable. It isn't plagued by a pseudo tablet interface. A no-nonsense workstation DE

>gnome2
kek. it's all gnome3 now, buddy.

You don't need to reinstall your OS to change your UI. Ubuntu has a package manager which you can use to install your UI of choice.

I'm not a fan of Ubuntu but wiping your hard drive to try a different window manager seems like the last resort of the incompetent.

that's why I run mate.

He's probably coming from Windows after using Ubuntu for a bit where the solution to any problem is a complete reinstall. It's mindblowing to realise that you don't have to reinstall everything to get a different desktop environment working.

I would just run a VM to experiment with different distros and DEs

>mate
if you're gonna go gnome2, cinnamon > mate

and you initially said "GNOME as DE" not MATE. so quit bullshitting.

What's your problem mate? Mate is gnome 2 with some minor tweaks. It still stays true to the original design and still receives modern support.

You mean global menu? KDE is getting that feature in 5.9. Should be out in a week or two.

cinnamon is just a clone of win7 but even buggier. I'm not sure how you can even compare that to gnome 2. very different feel and look.

cinnamon is more of a clone of macos than windows. only the taskbar is from windows. rest is clearly macos. and cinnamon is 10x better than Windows.

This is the only reason why I liked Unity
It's still garbage

>>cinnamon is 10x better than Windows.

When it isn't crashing?

>>Is nothing like win7 except for the entire look and feel of it is win7

ftfy. Even the start menu is the same. Hey, some people really miss win7. That's fine man.

>When it isn't crashing?
It never crashes. I haven't had a cinnamon-related crash in over a year. I run it from arch community repo.