Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman
pastebin.com/raw/BiP70AL9
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

that feel when you've been waiting for months for arch to break so you can have an excuse to distro hop but it's still going strong

install gentoo

im running arch btw

old thread:

My Manjaro just broke so I'm going to Ubuntu MATE. Just need my files first.

I'm trying out i3, but I'm on Fedora 25 with Gnome. I can't shake the feeling that it's more complicated than necessary this way, as GDM is more or less required to start Gnome with Wayland, but it doesn't seem to mind my .xinitrc while starting an i3 session. I want to keep both sessions, though.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Is it doable to use i3 and Gnome with GDM, or is it too much work? Any tips towards settting up config files would be greatly appreciated.

why doesnt distros like ubuntu or something else common get support

>steam shills Linux on their website
>it's a total pain to get steam to work on anything other than Ubuntu and even that has more problems than windows

Speaking of steam can anyone suggest how to fix this?
>SSD and HDD
>Windows 10 and Linux both installed on SSD (home isnt separate, debian)
>Create ext4 partition on hard drive aside nfts windows partition
>Steam won't let me add a games folder because it thinks the drive is read only

>Wayland is still in a bad state, from a security standpoint it is generally advised to use OpenBSD/MacOS/Windows currently. I find it quite astounding that GNU/Linux has become known as a secure OS when the xserver vulnerabilities have been around for 10+ years.

>tfw to intelligent to use Linux

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

this

Any thoughts on Solus?

then do not run x

Not a fan.

So the majority of WM/DE's

He has refering to the kernel you twat.

>He
>you

Running BSD feels good, huh?

no none of them

When I'm watching internet videos on the Midori or Surf browser the volume varies a lot, some videos volume are very low others are normal. I can use the volume control (pavucontrol) to increase the volume but it goes back if I pause or seek the video. Can anybody help? It's a really annoying issue.

Tried the "lock" checkbox?

Guys, hold me.

>be me
>buy second hand laptop for a $200
>install ubuntu 16.10 to lube up my entry into Linux
>notice that I'm using Intel graphics instead of nvidia gt 540m
>decide to change this
>install proprietary Nvidia drivers
>all is well
>switch to nvidia binaries instead of Nouveau
>boot up Borderlands 2
>immediate crash
>figure I need to reboot to get things working smoothly
>choose Ubuntu from GRUB
>graphical glitch errywhere
>looks like when Strongbad's screen melts from the 400,000 viruses
>can't log in
>recovery mode doesn't work either, just get a log in loop
>forced to use Windows 10 until I go back to see my girlfriend because I'm staying at my dad's at the moment and didn't bring the live USB with me and can't justify buying a new drive just for that

GNU/Linux*

use windows as gaming console
gnu/linux for serious computing

or set up a gpu passthrough and run windows in a vm

if everything worked, why the switch to the proprietary driver?

Go to ask ubuntu

*holds you*
It hurts just in the beginning.

Before my distro moved to libinput, was able to configure my trackball to simulate a scroll wheel by holding my middle click button.

Is there a way to achieve the same effect with libunput?

What's the best way to swich capslock to esc?

setxkbmap

excuse me, I meant Xmodmap

Will this work instantly (so I could toggle it) or do I need to restart X?

it's instant, I believe.

Will try, thanks.

WHY

Anyone here use LXC? Share your experiences, no matter how small

what do people even use caps lock for?
I don't get why it has such an honored position on a keyboard.

This is how the keyboard of the vi developer looks like.

IT HELPS EXPRESSING MY EMOTIONS ON THE INTERNET

now all makes sense

GPU Passthrough if you can.

I've had the same issues with the dual booting dilemma and after buying new hardware just for the passthrough (my previous CPU didn't support VT-d) I can safely say that it solved every problem I had with Linux' software compatibility. Don't get me wrong, Wine is good and all, but having a 5 second bootup VM that plays the newest of games out of the box and can use Visual Studio while Linux can take care of every single other task is amazing. I actually tested the FPS difference between bare metal and the VM and it's about 3-5FPS maximum difference.

It'll take you a little time to set up, however once you have it you'll love it. It's pretty much a "once set up, forever set up" thing as well as your VM config can be copied over and the procedure is pretty much identical on all distros.

You most likely don't need to buy anything as long as your CPU and motherboard supports VT-d, or if you don't have a Xenos or X99 chipset CPU. Personally I have a 5820K, so I needed to use another dedicated GPU (an old 660 I had laying around), but the GPU that is integrated on your CPU is more than enough unless you're doing heavy video watching in Linux (mpv with hardcore configs).

The only problem you might encounter really is the sound due to DPC latency. Which can be a pain in the ass. Personally it worked out of the box for me using libvirt and CPU pinning, though depending on your CPU you might get sound issues that need troubleshooting.

Wendell has a video on passthrough in general (sort of old, but can explain more): youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4

The Arch Wiki has a really fucking nice readup in their "PCI Passthrough via OVMF" article which goes step by step how to enable it on Arch (the procedure is very similar to other distros. The difference being mkinitcpio.)

There isnt a lock checkbox. there's a "lock chanels together" button but it doesn't help.

My debian install is suddenly getting stuck on boot. The only thing I recently did was fiddle with fstab.
Verbose nosplash shows it getting stuck around "systemd started create static device nodes in /Dev". It sometimes gets five lines below that, but it always freezes about there.
I had a similar problem when I first installed it that got fixed by unplugging my 970 from the pcie port. I installed the NVIDIA proprietary drivers and then didn't have any problems until today.

Is remix os a good idea for sitting room laptop?
I tried it live, it doesn't feel like a "real" os but I'm not sure..

Also what are the alternatives for 'sitting room laptop' bear in mind that my mom will also use it for browsing etc. But I don't want anything that looks like windows.

too*

Install xubuntu

remix os is chinese spyware

post fstab

You can choose i3 when you login via gdm

looking for a more colorful distro, may try to theme it though

>unironically types each space for indentation

loving every laugh

How can I code C# in Linux ? I feel cucked now in Windows 10 cause it deleted my files without permission.

I am angry now and Ignore all this stuff about win 10 cause I tought it was only a meme.

f

what about deepin os [[chinese]] and cub linux?

>
its glorious software developed by our comrades that guides and protects us from ourselves

The amount of shit that comes with standard KDe installs I don't even. Do the people who put these together not understand they are including 3 different calculators?

Look at Mono.

install gentoo

>seriously using KDE

> C# on Linux

Well, you can use a C# stack with either:
> Mono or C# core
> and using MonoDevelop/JetBrains Rider/whatever the msvs version that's coming to Linux is called.

- or, and this might be the controversial opinion -

> Java 8 or newer with IntelliJ/Eclipse IDEs, and a modern toolstack with Maven, JUnit, Lombok (gets you properties, val keyword, and a lot of boilerplate gets removed through the magic of compiler macros and annotations. (Annotations in Java are @Annotation and not [Annotation], so I'm sure you'll pick it up just fine)), and you'll have a comfy af setup regardless.
If you don't need to use C#, then that's probably a better solution long term.

Those are pretty much your options. C# and Java are similar but different though, so be prepared to get annoyed as everything is done SLIGHTLY different. (I know that's how I feel when I write C# stuff).
You also have to go figure out what libraries and frameworks you want to go with. (jOOQ? pure java.sql stuff? some other framework?)

Modern java is very different from Java 10 years ago, and the support on Linux platforms is pretty fucking great.

liri OS

I am coding in Java too and java is not a problem.

It is just hard if you do C# that you can't leave Windows environment at all.

I don't have balls to let my mom use something in alpha stage, thanks.

kek

>last thread 404 before new thread
>this thread is page 8 now
is gnu/linux dead?

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Sup Forums is dead.

Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.

Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?

y so mad tho senpai. Linux will always be Linux. GNU will always be GNU. GNU/Linux is the combination of both.

There is no need for this forced nonsense, "gnu/Linux".
RMS has contributed NOTHING else in the past 30 years,he is grasping for any recognition,instead of actually contributing to something benifical so he is FORCING his shit where it isnt needed.
Its Linux

Any that's where you're wrong. Anything the FSF has contributed to Linux is not a vital part of the OS. It just runs on Linux. You wouldn't call it Libre Office/Linux just because the OS comes pre installed with Libre Office.

Not sure if you're trolling or actually stupid.

Libre Office is not an OS

In pacman how do I simulate or see what packages will be upgraded?

arch isn't for pussies

>Using unstable bleeding edge makes me a l33t professional

Did you try reading the manual?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman

debian stable:

I don't fully understand this error message and want to know how to fix it so I can make and make install GNU IceCat 45.5.1 (there seemed to be no precompiled ./icecat file)

configure: error: * * * Could not find gconf-2.0

I know obviously it's looking for gconf-2.0, but whenever whenever I try to do

sudo apt-get install gconf-2.0 it tells me that I already have it apparently

here is full paste if curious

pastebin.com/raw/BiP70AL9

If I have a separate partition for my home directory, will the dot files fuck up anything if I decide to change distros?

Some conflict maybe but nothing serious.

there may be some minor incompatibilities, but nothing you can't fix by simply deleting the offending config file

Why is it cool to hate pulseaudio?

it's a dank meme

>girlfriend
cuck

PulseAudio is pretty good, most people just never bother to read up on how to configure it if something doesn't work out of the box. For example setting default sink and sources, how it relates to the underlying ALSA system etc. and then cry about how PulseAudio is broken and ALSA was better. Which is retarded.

>be me
Kill yourself redditor cancer, stopped reading there.

I'm pretty sure that greentext stories starting with ">be me" are a Sup Forums thing

Most people wouldn't even need it. Plain Alsa works ok, I don't get why this is shipped as a default, since you pull in more dependencies. But yeah, distros.

It was, but only people who use >be me these days are people from facebook or reddit because that's what they see in their greentext stories they post everywhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong (really), but isn't multiple sound sources a problem with an ALSA-only setup? As in two applications wanting to stream/write to the same source at the same time? Pretty sure you get a "device is busy" then.

>$CURRENT YEAR
>having a girlfriend
kek

To add to this: Which is AFAIK one of the big problems PulseAudio is solving.

᠎᠎

idiots hate pulse because it's made by the same guy who made systemd