>Few pins slightly bent
>Reassemble and try it
>Doesn't POST, memory not detected

I'll need a new motherboard, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S58473586#p58484036
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You could try bending some pins back.

Is there any risk to my other components if I do this and it doesn't work? Could I break my CPU if it's shorting for instance?

straighten the bent one to be inline with the others, i did it before and it always work (with LGA775 and 1150 tho).

also LGA is retarded socket, it guaranteed that if u change cpu morethan 5 times it'll bent, compare to PGA of amd that literally have infinite cpu change because it is much easier to straighten bent pin on cpu rather than mobo

Stop being a fucking bitch, take a needle and a magnifying glass and fix your fuckup.

Yes, you could short the CPU, but only if you're not as careful as you should be. If you have doubts you'll just have to swallow it. You could also try sending it back and claiming it's been that way when you got it.

I'm trying to unfuck it with a needle right now. These fuckers look impossible to bend back but I might as well try, it's a dead board at the moment.

Managed to improve the position of one of them, but the tip snapped off the pin 3rd from the right on the second row as soon as the needle touched it.

Hope you bought it from Amazon.

>that pic
RIP

Intel FTW, if u bought AMD you'd already have thrown it away

Maybe it was just a ground pin. Remove it and try the CPU again.

>pointless company wars

That's what I was thinking. The rest look ok.

Hopefully it will either be a ground pin as says or it will be responsible for one of the DIMMs. When I tested the motherboard post-fuckup, the problem was with the memory, and I didn't think to switch the DIMMs to different slots and try again. I don't know any way of looking up the function of a particular pin.

Hope springs eternal, anyway.

Stop posting the same bait thread over and over.

Not sure what you mean, this is the first time I've posted this because it's just happened. I have all my shit out trying to fix it right now.

This should honestly teach you something about being overzealous beyond the point of logic, reading manuals and care when dealing with fragile things.

Don't mind him, he's the guy who was shilling for the last month on how AMD pins are easy to break and it would never happen to Intel.

Sure will. This is the sixth time I've built a computer and the only time I've bothered replacing a socket cap. I won't do it again.

Also, the motherboard manual offers no instructions on how to replace the socket cap, only that you should.

Yeah, totally.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S58473586#p58484036

>busted
DELET

Yeah, it must be someone trying to bash intel instead of trying to fix his fuckup after the shame has died down.

Fair enough, that's me. I spend the last couple of weeks back and forth to ASUS and a few repair places hoping they'd be able to do something, none of them would. Before I throw it on ebay as a broken board I thought I'd have one last crack at fixing it, and made a thread to see if I could get some advice.

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for your impressive memory.

/g is full of autist. you should know better.

You could've at least think of the new post content, be imaginative user.

how does this even happen?

I've never even considered a bent pin happening to me on LGA or PGA, you'd have to try pretty hard to do that "accidentally".

use a mechanical pencil to bend the pin back as they were

Use something thin and firm, like a razor blade.

Straighten them out a row at a time, its easier then trying to do one at a time. Gl you fuckup.

... also why did you remove a cpu to clean it?

>And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for your impressive memory.

My memory sucks ass, but if you keep the post structure and contents 90% identical, it's not that hard to notice you've heard this story before.
Nothing wrong with seeking more advice, I thought you were baiting.

I'm afraid you're fucked, though

>Be me
>Work for Asus handling warranty claims
>Go on Sup Forums because nothing happening
>See this thread
>Cringe at OP being a factor
>Suddenly get a call from some factor about bent pins
>Says they came that way
>He doesn't even have warranty
>Tell him another one will come to him by mail
>Do nothing
>He never calls back.
Wew

>>He doesn't even have warranty
Do you know how warranties work?

isn't the point to protect cpu, being that the mobo is cheaper than the cpu?

Well to be fair, the instructions about those things are usually pretty retarded. I never understood why you're supposed to install the CPU and let the cover pop out that way, probably just a precaution so you don't drag it across the pins if you pop it yourself or something.

Yeah, mech pencils are the best option for this job, also xactor knives with a short blade are perfect.

SWEET MERCIFUL JESUS CHRIST ON A BIKE

I THINK IT WORKS

Glad you're good user

Thanks, I'm never removing that CPU from the socket again.

>ITS A MIRACLE

>6700k
>stock cooler
What is this sorcery?

It's a placeholder, I'm doing a custom water loop.

It didn't come with the processor, I had it lying around from an old build.

Good for you, familia.

>reference Nvidia

I think I understood how you managed to bend your fucking pin.
You're an idiot!

>custom water loop
Reference cooler doesn't make a difference if he's going to replace it.

Thanks man. I love the feeling of having repaired something and I've never fucked around with something this expensive before.

Look closer.

I also have a waterblock for it.

I am an idiot though, I won't argue that.

Custom loop or not, he still has shitty power delivery on the reference PCB so overclocking is gonna be shit.

It's a Titan X, they only come as reference boards.

Yeah, I don't get why he didn't get one of the wide selection of non-reference Titan X cards.
You fucking retard.

ffs he is right.

yeah, you fucked up

user proceeds to remove stock cooler for new watercooler and the cycle begins again.

I know the Titan X's overclocking isn't temperature limited, it's limited to the amount of wattage it can suck (~305W). I'm watercooling it for silence, aesthetics and the fun of building it.

If I somehow manage to damage the LGA pins after removing the HSF without removing the CPU from the socket then I will give up technology forever.

It's a testament to how rugged computer components actually are when a lummox such as myself can be building computers for ten years and this is the first time I've had a problem.

can you take another angle?

use a dry erase marker on the effected area o the CPU, put it in, close it, remove it, and inspect where its touching, or not.

Thanks, but I think I fixed it. I'm never taking that CPU out of that socket again.