KDE

Memes aside, what's wrong with KDE? It looks nice to me

Nothing. /thread

crashes more than windows 95 getting nuked

stop using kuckbunto

Most developers prefer to add new cool stuff rather than fix bugs in old stuff.
This means kde has all the cool features, but a lot of things doesn't work properly, isn't efficiently implemented or have bugs.

But they are so far ahead of the other DE's, it actually gets usable.
You get to test out new theories, applications and if it doesn't work, you don't use it.

more like "gay vd"

It's bloated and doesn't add any fucntionality.

no

Enjoy your NSA/systemd

>what's wrong with KDE
It's horrendously unstable and buggy.
And instead of fixing bugs, the devs release new crap all the time, introducing even more bugs in the process.
Also, (though that is something everyone is doing, gnomes even more so) everything changes all the time, without any reason, often making it worse (i.e. the breeze icon set. that stuff is impossible to make out what an icon actually means)

It really is a shame.
>tl;dr:
>KDE is so bad, that I switched to gnome, after 10+ years on KDE, and I hate every minute of it.
>but at least I can get shit done, now that I am not bothered by a plasma crash every 2 minutes.

oh god fucking upstart fucks over so much of my shit it's disgusting

I personally never found a reason not to just use sysv.

I used to love KDE. Just felt like everything went wrong after KDE 3.5.

>KDE is bloated
It's features filled and not resource intensive.
Best UI, have you tried configuring a wacom tablet on other DEs?

I did the same thing.
Plasma 5 was so buggy in the beginning I switched to mate.
Then I slowly brought all the tools over, the window manager and all I have now is the mate panel (anything is better than the plasma 5 panel at this point) and a shitty dmenu hack to make up for the loss of krunner, even though it is much worse in every way, near the point of making the entire system unusable.

S L O W

what's wrong with the plasma panel?

The only thing I don't like about kde is Qt dropping gtk theme support. Fuck that noise, I fucking hate breeze.

Nothing, it works properly on openSUSE and KDE Neon Linux. It's only bad on shitbuntu.

I've always found KDE to be ugly as shit. When Plasma 5 came out I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised by the new UI but it was far too buggy for daily use. Since then it only got more stable and is now my daily driver.

The widgets are bad.
They are bad because they changed framework out of nowhere and there is not that many users.
The calendar doesn't display events.
The battery doesn't show the percentage.
Everything is designed so you have to click on them in order to get information from them.

It is a bad system.
What you want in a panel is a way to quickly get information, by looking at a part of the screen, to quickly see how much time I have until I need to plugin the laptop or when I need to leave for a meeting.
Clicking on it means you have to devote time to a task that shouldn't take time.

Why would you use anything but Lumina is beyond me, but as DEs go KDE isn't too bad tbqhwym80.

It's slow and ugly

I always preferred KDE over GNOME because I found GNOME to be a very ugly DE. Unity isn't that much better either, so I just stick with KDE.

>It's horrendously unstable and buggy.
Use it in a distro that actually cares about its stability. (AKA openSUSE)

It's more stable than Neon, KDE's own goddamn distro.

That’s because Neon is mainly a testbed for new KDE software.

It's nice but the laptop I'm currently using goes into a crawl when running KDE on it.

Lumina is just a shittier LXQt

Whatever you say, kid.

Go to bed dad, nobody uses BSD seriously anymore

I hate the fact that the default in KDE is to open files etc with a single mouse click instead of two
It's not obvious how to disable it either

>openSUSE
Lol give me a break. Fucking Arch was more stable with KDE than openmeme.
>I hate the fact that in KDE is
Works for every case actually

>open settings
>input devices
>mouse
woah

runs on loonix, fgt.

It's alright, but it's bloated. I prefer XFCE.

It's not really bloated.
It has a lot of features.
Most of which I never or hardly ever use.
It's the cadillac of DEs, tho.

>loss of krunner,
Fuck. Dont remind me.
Krunner is just fantastic.
That gnome thingy and the ubuntu dash also are getting better, but why on earth are they coupled with some fucking expose effect or a giant, glassy overly?
Just give me a little box to type in, so that I can still keep focused on whatever window I am focused, and only get somethin new, when I press enter to send the command.

Is unity dash still a slow piece of trash? It's like it rebuilds the database every time I open it or something. Searches take forever.

>Use it in a distro that actually cares about its stability. (AKA openSUSE)
I tried.
My journey of agony was
>Suse Professional
Really great! Worth the 90 bucks I payed for it
>Opensuse9.whatever
Quite OK. I actually don't know exactly why I left, but something went wrong that I could not fix
>Some early Kubuntu
meh
>fedora 18 to 22?
really great
In fact, so great that I kept running 22 for over year after its EOL
>Finally had to install something new
>Fedora24
Holy shit, KDE5 is bad!
unplug monitor, the whole system crashes. Well, so its not going to stay on my fucking laptop
>Everyone is
>Use it in a distro that actually cares about its stability. (AKA openSUSE)
>install opensuse
it actually is more stable than fedora
unpluging the monitor only crashes plasma, but it recovers and adds a panel, so I just had "plasma crashed" messages all the time, plus a dozen panels (I have them on autohide, so you dont notice them piling up)
>update
It now can't wake up from standby when you unplug the monitor
>CentOS
KDE4 actually works!
>update
Breaks all kinds of stuff
>try again
Realize it's too old for my mobile broadband modem
>ubuntu
WTF?
>Opensuse tumbleweed
plasma crashes very 2 minutes
wont remember my wifi passoword, asks me for it every other 2 minutes
>now I'm on fedora + gnome
and its the most insane DE
No settings
Does all kinds of shit without telling me
standby is fucked up
But KDE got me to the point where that is less annoying than whatever I had the last 6 months.

>pic related

>Is unity dash still a slow piece of trash?
Havent tried ubuntu for long enough to judge.
I'm mostly irritated by the fucking huge glassy, blurry "window" it does, wasting space left and right. It's fucking fullscreen, but has less information on it than 10 square centimeters of krunner.
> It's like it rebuilds the database every time I open it or something.
that sounds like a KDE "feature" to be fair…

Massive amounts of crashing.

I used KUBUNTU - yes KUBUNTU LTS which theoretically should be very stable.

KURASHU, KURASHU KURASHU.

I actually went back to Arch, at least I can usually fix issues with my Arch.

KDE is just too bloated,

This. Also oxygen on plasma 5 has the sizes fucked up and qtcurve doesn't have window decorations for it yet.

I'm using KDE Neon tho.

1,5GB Ram usage after startup
everything else is ok with KDE

daily reminder that xfce is the only DE you will ever need and every other DE is either bloated slugware or crashes into oblivion

>last month
>using the same Mint install for a long ass time
>feel like installing a new distro because im using an old version and I want to try something else
>choosing which distro to install
>try installing Kubuntu
>Plasma bug makes the whole DE crash every fifteen seconds and I can't do anything besides restart the computer, making it impossible to use the goddamn thing
>try KDE Neon instead, maybe its fixed there
>nope, exact same bug
>the only few threads discussing that error that i'm able to find are old as fuck and have no solutions anyway
>give up

>try Ubuntu GNOME instead
>animations are a bit laggy but it looks good
>try customizing it
>spend hours trying to find a theme that isn't bugged
>decide on settling down on a theme that doesnt look so good to me but hey at least it works
>after a few days start having mouse issues
>its a really old xorg bug that randomly makes you unable to click anything
>bug was marked as critical back in 2013 and its still not fixed
>restarting GNOME fixes it temporarily, but i'm tired of having to restart it every 30 seconds
>spend a few days trying to find a fix for it without any success
>give up

>fuck this ill just go back to Mint
>install Mint
>install my favourite themes
>install my favourite programs
>everything just works perfectly
>get on with my life

I prefer plasma-desktop. ;)

I don't get if y'all are just unlucky or unable. Running KDE (4 now) since ever on debian and never had a problem, besides some theme or widget not really doing what it should, but meh, who needs widgets anyway.

>the point of KDE is having a havier desktop but with a lot more features
>feature doesnt work
>meh who needs features anyways

Usually, I'd say but practically speaking, bistributors are too stupid to configure it out-of-the-box.

>ctr+f "manjaro"
>0 results
>KDE is shit

figures you clueless noob idiots

daily reminder that xfce does not have a usable launcher.

As an XFCE user, that is one feature I could certainly use. Is KDE anywhere near as customizable as XFCE?

It is very customizable.
It uses the classic qtsetting style config files and have gui's to change them if you don't want to read the documentation on where to write what.
Some parts might be hard to configure to the point you would like, so you turn them off if they are not needed.
I haven't used xfce enough to give a full review from that perspective, but if you know what you want from your system, you can easily remove the parts you don't need and then get good performance.

This is the kind of shit that make me not leave plasma 5

>I don't know how to customize GNOME so I'm just going to spew random bullshit

Mah Nigga.

Currently running Manjaro KDE