twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it does not matter you autist

Box-style commenter detected

1,4 for me, only answer

//line comment
/*multi line comment
because who care
lmao*/

There is no comment in my code. It's supposed to be understandable. If it's not, it's because I have fucked up with my naming convention.

I shiggy diggy

>"Well user we were looking over the Github you linked us and we couldn't help but notice the lack of comments. We're no longer considering you for this position, but we'll keep you in mind in case a relevant position opens up."

single line: 1
multi line: 2

//Single
/* Multi
line */

Any other way is just retarded

>Good riddance, I couldn't help but notice I was about to be hired by retards.

kek

-- {{{ lol dis gun be gud
-- }}}

>not using flower box at top with short single line explinations as needed

gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Comment-Tips.html

lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/02_ddb.htm

> god tier:
//
#

> vim tier
"

> long comments only tier
/*
*/

> stupid tier

You are a fucking moron. The whole point of comments is so that people do not need to read paragraphs of code to understand what it's supposed to do. Just a couple/few sentences of English is more thhan enough to explain what the purpose of a method or class is. You're just making bullshit excuses to half-ass your work.

That is what documentation is for.
I'm wondering who is just making bullshit excuses to half-ass his work.

Documentation != Code comments
Documentation is a library guide for those who want to USE your code. Code comments are a guide for those who want to MODIFY your code.

Documentation should be generated procedurally from your comments with doxygen, or whatever equivalent exists for your language of choice.

Comments are a bad practice. Your code should be understandable just by reading it.
Also comments are wasting compiler time.

>being this autistic
>being this shitty of a programmer
Have fun coding in your mom's basement

/**
* Comment line 1
* Line 2
*/

is only way for multi-line comments. For single line comments:

/* Single line comment */

Why? Because Linus Torvalds uses it and he's my God.

Actually if another programmer can't understand your code without comments you're the shitty programmer, not me.

Just because someone can understand your code by reading it doesn't mean they should have to in order to gain a basic understanding of what's going on. Furthermore, the majority of professional shops will have you use something like JavaDoc, Yard, Doxygen, or some other tool to generate documentation, and all of those solutions require you to add comments to your code. This is why you will always be a neckbeard NEET.

If he want to modify my code, he need to read it. The code itself is perfectly understandable and need no comment.

Yes, and the doxygen is on another branch, for better code readability.

We agree then. The reason you want comment in your code is the same reason we are doing documentation.

Comments are a bad practice.
The "comments" needed by doxygen should be made on another branch.

>seriously being this retarded
>woud rather read a paragraph of somebody elses code than a couple sentences

What is this font?

Darude Monospace

I'm sorry but what is the problem ?
If you need to modify someones code, you need to read it. If you need to understand what it does to use it, use the documentation. If you need documentation, don't fucked up your code readability just to please the programm generating your documentation, do it on another branch called "doc" that contain the programm and the comments needed by doxygen.

What is so fucking autistic to ask from people to write readable code, and do a proper documentation, instead of putting comment in the middle of everywhere. Comments are a bad practice because they encourage pajeet to make code with var named x and y and be proud of him because he write tons of comments that explain his pile of shit.

What you want from comment are offered by the documentation anyway. The fact that most documentation tool read some formated comment to be generated doesn't mean they should be left in the middle of the code.

>What is so fucking autistic to ask from people to write readable code
Confirmed for never working with someone else's code before. You know what your code does because it's so familiar to you, regardless of its readability. Even if you take all measures to ensure it's as readable as possible, working through another's code is not as nearly as easy as reading plain English. Moreover, comments will allow an editor to quickly move through your code (without reading all of it) straight to the parts he does need to read.
Any company you pull that "Comments are bad practice" charade on will instantly show you the door. This includes both the good companies and the bad companies. I doesn't matter if you hate it user; if you want a programming job and you're not doing your own start-up, you better learn to comment.

>working through another's code is not as nearly as easy as reading plain English.
If another's code is well written then it should even be more easier to read than english. The code itself is a language the programmer learn to read and write.
It's like math, you don't put comments in the middle of a math demonstration because math it's is own language.

>ike math, you don't put comments in the middle of a math demonstration because math it's is own language.
Also confirmed for never doing math. Have you ever read a math paper before, or even a math textbook? It is adorned with guiding hands in the form of English comments. And yes, they come mid-proof.

>Have you ever read a math paper before, or even a math textbook?
Have you ever read a programming book before ? There's more english than code.

I don't know but when i'm working on something i'd take a concise explanation in a comment rather than waste time reading what the code do.

If you think reading the code you'll be working with is a waste of time i don't know what i can say to you.

user, his whole point was he needed to FIND the code he'd be working with, and he can't do that easily without comments.

# >2011
# >needing more than one line to comment
# ISHYGDDT

// for everything, multi-lines comments are so annoying to type.