/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Old Thread: Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
take at least 10 seconds to google first

Other urls found in this thread:

livestream.com/accounts/23093026/events/6897778/player
livestream.com/acco
lenovo.brandleap.com/resellers?upc=190793179158&showImage=True&showUpc=True&showDesc=True&showRatings=True
blog.pandora.com/us/introducing-our-brand-new-web-experience/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_encryption
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is there anything that lets you easily make charts like this, like a website? I know there is a 3x3 maker and that kind of thing would be about perfect if it also let you add text

I know this isn't the most elaborate thing to do yourself manually but resizing pictures, aligning the descriptions and whatnot are kind of a pain.

>TL;DR
earbud extension cable that gives control

------
I am used to EP-630 earbuds
but they dont have control on the wire

it was fine when I used mostly my Sansa Clip
but I would like to start using my phone

I got xiaomi pistons, and they sound fine and got the control but they dont hold well in my earcannal and the control is way up high for my taste

I would like some short "extension cable" that has control on it, so I could put it in between phone and earbuds and control next song and shit..

does it exists?

how do I make this shit work with VLC or anything NOT FLASH
livestream.com/accounts/23093026/events/6897778/player

tried livesteamer but no luck
>[cli][info] Found matching plugin livestream for URL livestream.com/acco
>unts/23093026/events/6897778/player
>Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "", line 6, in
> File "__main__.py", line 128, in
> File "__main__livestreamer__.py", line 9, in
> File "livestreamer_cli\main.py", line 886, in main
> File "livestreamer_cli\main.py", line 471, in handle_url
> File "livestreamer_cli\main.py", line 388, in fetch_streams
> File "livestreamer\plugin\plugin.py", line 313, in get_streams
> File "livestreamer\plugin\plugin.py", line 233, in streams
> File "livestreamer\plugins\livestream.py", line 98, in _get_streams
>AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'startswith'

what am I doing wrong Sup Forums?
pic unrelated

Do you guys know how to fix low volume in mpv on windows?
I updated it and it become so low on volume.

Running into a cron (Unix/Terminal scheduler program) problem:

I have this file: access_politics.py, and in it, I import several libraries I've installed.

When I do
36 10 * * *python ~/Desktop/python_project/access_poliics.py

I get the following error message:
File "/Users/anonymous/Desktop/python_project/access_politics.py", line 1, in
import praw
ImportError: No module named praw

I talked to a friend and he said it may be because cron is running as sudo... How can I fix this?

I have the same problem with MPC-HC so I need to turn on volume normalization in my sound card software to make my headphones loud enough. It's safer to use headphones that way.

/ and * Decrease/increase volume.
9 and 0 Decrease/increase volume.
m Mute sound.
# Cycle through the available audio tracks.

you do something in spirit of this

36 10 * * * /usr/bin/python3 /home/faggot/Desktop/python_project/access_poliics.py

So I am looking to overclock my CPU

I have the Gigabyte UDR3 mobo with a i7 975 running a stock 980x cooler

Stock CPU speed is 3.33GHz, my goal for now is to hit stable 3.60GHz speeds.
Is that something I can do on a stock cooler?

So what do I do exactly. So far the only consistent information I found was:
-Leave CPU clock ratio as is
-Raise the Base Clock Frequency to desired number
-Set the Uncore ratio to half of the QPI on Auto
-Keep RAM stock, or downclock
-No info on voltage increase

Is that it? Do I just play around with these numbers until I can run stable?

which (crossplatform) torrent client can be prevented from having any contact with any tracker whatsoever?

>overclocking old CPU on stock cooler
Have an extinguisher by your side

Just remove all trackers from any torrents you add

$ pip install praw

It's not hard if you know how to use your image editor.

You can easily align text using guides.

im lazy

My dad wants to buy a computer. He has used an older iMac (think it is a 2009), it had all the bells and whistles. He loved the larger screen and simple design as he hates wires, and believed Mac's can't get viruses a major factor in his decision (I think I fixed that part).

Anyway his cryptic descriptions of his needs have given me little to work with. He strongly gravitates to Apple, but says his core use is Microsoft Excel and YouTube. He has recently mentioned he want to take it camping with him and has been asking questions regarding the Mac Book Air.

I have already done a little research and have my own ideas
(thinking lenovo.brandleap.com/resellers?upc=190793179158&showImage=True&showUpc=True&showDesc=True&showRatings=True )
but would like some other opinions on this matter as I have become a little detached on these things. Given I over customize my Debian to the point only I can use it. made it work on a computer I made from free 15 year old parts that does what I need better then my new office computer. And I wonder why my boss insist we buy new junk every cycle and call my master piece junk.

How would torrents work then?
I always assumed that tracker is the thing that coordinates whole download process

I'm still having a bit of an issue... This is the error message cron gives:

Subject: Cron /usr/bin/python2.7 ~/Desktop/python_project/access_po$
X-Cron-Env:
X-Cron-Env:
X-Cron-Env:
X-Cron-Env:
X-Cron-Env:
Traceback (most recent call last):
import praw

DHT

Hm. What would say is the easiest editor for that then nowadays? If it had handy guides like you said all the better.

It's already installed. When I cd into the project folder and run it, the program runs perfectly...
pip install praw
Requirement already satisfied: praw in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages
Requirement already satisfied: prawcore=0.7.0 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from praw)
Requirement already satisfied: update-checker>=0.16 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from praw)
Requirement already satisfied: requests=2.6.0 in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from prawcore=0.7.0->praw)

uTP, PEX, DHT, Local peer discovery.

i also dont want to upload totals to the tracker either.

Can Sup Forums recommend me a book or a tutorial for learning electronics for beginners?

I just started messing around with Arduino and I noticed I'm way more comfortable in the software part of my projects. I need some theory.

With guides I meant temporary lines you can use to align things. Both Photoshop and GIMP have this feature.

Have you tried checking the /sci/ recommended reading list? There's an entire folder on EE stuff, so you might have some success there

you are making a huge mistake
what you want to do, assuming your father is not poor

Get him Mac Book Air
Get him docking station
Get him large monitor

He will have osX and things will just works, he will not get viruses
He will have large display, while also be portable when in need
You wont be the one to be blamed when shit goes inevitably wrong with that yoga gimmick

ok. what teh fuck is happening.

I listen to Pandora on my desktop, and for that reason alone I have flash. I only have it load on that webpage.

I just went to my laptop that doenst have flash installed, and opened pandora, and it went to a modern flash-less version of it.

So I uninstalled flash from my desktop, and going to pandora gives me a warning saying it needs flash.

both win10, firefox 86x

36 10 * * * PYTHONPATH=/home/faggot/lib/python3.5 /usr/bin/python3 ~/Desktop/python_project/access_poliics.py

you can get

Oh. Well goes to show how uneducated I am. I'll give it a shot in GIMP then I guess, although I'm surprised that no one made a website like this yet with all the kinds of things that already have one.

Thanks, user. I'll check it out!

so its this new version
blog.pandora.com/us/introducing-our-brand-new-web-experience/

how the hell do I force it on my desktop? I already nuked all my browser temp files, and even tried incongnito mode. wont work

clear the cookies for the pandora site in firefox
options -> privacy -> show cookies -> search for pandora -> delete
(or add pwc-2016=true;)

it also does this on Edge, a browser I never ever use.

lemme try your thing tho

cleared all cookies with the phrase pandora, didnt work.

what is the pwc thing?

Where's a good place to buy an hdmi cable?
And how bullshit are the cables that are 20+ euros?

anker brand cables from amazon are worth every penny.

not sure if you can get them in eurolando

guys, isn't using an encryption combo unbreakable by definition?
here's a simple example: two shift ciphers, one will do +1, the other one -2
i take the word "faggot" and apply 1st one: "gbhhpu" and then use 2nd one on it and get: "dzeens"
now how is anyone who tries to break it, and actually knows how to break the first layer, supposed to know when he broke it? how the hell he's able to tell if, out of all possible combinations, "gbhhpu" is the right one?

it was the cookie pandora set for me when I used their html5 player.

so, if its not a cookie problem then its probably a configuration problem (MSE / h264 / html5).

but before we go into that, after you removed flash you restarted firefox right?

if so, then go to about:config and search for "media.mediasource.enabled" it should be "true"

But the iMac has been having a host of problems running Yosemite, and the Core2Due chip is under officially no loner supported architecture list on Apple's web page, also he has been having many Excel compatibles issues.

So at minimum needs a new chip set and better Microsoft compatibility. Figure pay more and get a kaby lake, given the troubling treads with software lock outs.

Also given how old the chip set is the docking screen feature is not directly supported, (apple is jerks about things) thought I think I could figure out how to make it work. But he really needs a plug and play. Poor man couldn't figure out how the TV remote worked*

Could you tell me more about this "docking station", I normally just solder and find alternative drivers for whatever I use. But this sound much easier, as money is not the biggest issue, but it still an issue so it needs to make sense.

*I finally got peace last year when I customized a Logitec Harmony Elite to be idiot proof, he only manged to break it once so I added another line of code for that case and nobody has messed it up since. I very proud of that given it has survived him and a number of small children, wish I had just bought it years ago but thing cost a lot when your underemployed.

yeah, it set to true.

I restarted firefox, but not my PC.
mediasource is set to true.

in the past I set flash to ask if it should be run on every page. maybe it has some left overs somewhere. gonna nuke any remaining folders in local settings.

Okay, really sorry about this, but I have no idea what to do now:

PYTHONPATH=~/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin /usr/bin/python2.7 ~/Desktop/python_project/access_politics.py >> ~/Desktop/python_project/test2.txt

X-Cron-Env:
X-Cron-Env:
X-Cron-Env:
X-Cron-Env:
X-Cron-Env:
import praw

I checked the PATH environment variable and it gave me several directories, and I chose the ~/Library/Frameworks/......

What am I doing wrong?

ok, did a PC restart, and nuked anything that had the word acrobat in it. flash was actually very clean to uninstall. only found one empty folder in localroaming.

PYTHONPATH should be
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python

anyone?

works for me in safari and I don't have flash installed

HDMI cables can be super cheap, because unlike with say USB cables there's no power requirement that requires efficiency and the cable doesn't get moved around very much so a $3 cable will often do the job just as well as a $50 one.

The mystery unfolds:
Subject: Cron PYTHONPATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/$
X-Cron-Env:
X-Cron-Env:
X-Cron-Env:
X-Cron-Env:
X-Cron-Env:
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 11:37:00 -0800 (PST)

import praw

you didn't do what I told you, faggot; check that path again. it needs to end in lib

Is it possible to become addicted to benzos if i only take a normal dose once every few days to help me sleep?

I see the command got cut off, so here is the crontab command:
37 11 * * * PYTHONPATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python /usr/bin/python2.7 ~/ Desktop/python_project/access_politics.py >> ~/Desktop/python_project/test2.txt

I think you just described a one time pad?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

What do i read to understand what linux does with dns caching?

Or could someone explain what happens when i for example use 'ping google.com' ?

I know you need to send dns protocol package encapsulated in udp which encapsulates in ip to make dns lookup via certain dns server. Then you get response with resolved ip and TTL, which is dns serve suggestion for how long i can use this response.

Have you tried overhauling your diet, exercising, not staring at lights at night, and cuddling with your bros?

maybe

Okay... I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. I copy+pasted the path you gave, and pic related shows the structure of the folders.

Do I just omit the "python" at the end?

Also, I just checked and I don't think I have praw installed in the directory you mentioned (but I do have it installed)

Is it a common practice to buy an item on eBay, and resell the same item for the same price when you are done with the item?

I have a technical problem with my computer monitor and need to purchase a component to
fix the issue, but there is a chance the item might not repair the problem. It costs $200. If I resell it for $200 or a bit more to cover my cost, is the ethical, allowed, or are there any unseen problems with that?

Why don't more people do this? Buying a fun expensive item and just reselling it later on. Basically getting stuff for free.

are you using python3 installed with brew?
if so, change PYTHONPATH to /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages. you _should_ find your praw library there

Dependence is different for everyone. Some people are almost immediately susceptible to some substances. It's unlikely that you would become strongly addicted if it did stay that occasional. What would probably end up happening is that you would start slowly making minor exceptions to your rules until you started taking them more frequently and then eventually became dependent. Needing meds to sleep sucks. Benzo addiction really sucks.

No, he described double caesar cipher, where all the text is moved the same amount through the alphabet

>python3.6
or 3.whatever, check where your python libs are

>diet
kind of. i've been on keto lately. eating healthier doesn't help. i still sometimes have trouble sleeping.

>exercising
doesn't help

>not staring at lights at night
that's probably a large factor but if i lay in bed for 2 hours in the dark shouldn't the be fine? i still can't fall asleep sometimes

>cuddling with your bros
i cuddle my gf and even though it's quite comfy, i cannot fall asleep while cuddling. not ever. wish i could.

i'm talking about double encryption. Vigenere's cipher is different

Because you almost never get as much as you put into it in the first place, especially with electronics. Plus there's sellers fees and shipping. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just most things don't flip well. The exception is getting something from a thrift shop/yardsale/craigslist/overseas and selling it on an online market with more demand.

managed to grab the right link for vlc
useless Sup Forums is useless today

I'm using python 2 with brew.

Can't seem to find praw in the /usr/local/lib/python2.7, but I *was* able to find the libraries I installed in
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/

This is some sith shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_encryption

and doesn't it work with that path as PYTHONPATH?

give man a fish etc etc...

Sleep at the same time every day (including weekends), avoid screens for the an hour before bed (or wear orange glasses/goggles), avoid doing anything on your bed besides sleeping, and get a different bed if your girlfriend's presence interferes at all.

CL10-10-10-30

is this good timing? From what I read clock is meaningless but this CL thing has some (5fps) difference.

Okay, it sort of works(?)

Most of the program runs smoothly (everything I told the crontab command to append to a file is appended), but I have a "write to another file" method within the python program. I guess that's causing the following error:

sh: sysctl: command not found

(Even though I found it in /usr/sbin/sysctl)... At least the program's running now, though

depends on the frequency

1866MHz

On my laptop whenever I do full system images on an external drives the main drive gets a bit hot, 52c and the palmrest feels a bit warm, I dont like them running hot so I put a small aluminium block on the palmrest to act as heatsink/thermal mass, it does the job and the drive cools about 5c in 6 minutes and it could cool more if I left it there but im concerned about condensation from quick temperature changes.

Question is, is this temperature change fast enough to cause condensation inside the drive or anything like that? Ive seen drives spec sheets and some mention 20c/hr or 30c/hr temperature gradients.

so compare those timings to other 1866 ram

I need to buy an android device to run an APK I compiled that connects and manages data on a remote server.

Since it needs to be online 24/7, I thought about getting a Android TV box, connect via ethernet, and just let it run in the corner.

I've never bought one of these boxes though, and I don't know if 1 GB RAM / "Quad core" is enough. The APK just runs and displays a text console with currently running server fetch operations/server stats.

Clock doesn't matter much if it's close to the same. If it's a difference of 400+ it can start to have the kind of difference you're thinking of, depending on the application

If it's staying in one place and above room temperature the whole time, condensation if pretty much impossible. That rapid cooling may be worse for the drive than doing nothing.

and timing?

I find 4am works pretty well. Less lag from internet congestion

I haven't looked into the impact of timing in a while, but I got the impression it was one of the least critical stats

If I buy the motherboard with integrated Intel GPU, will I be able to use the GPU integrated into the CPU?

There aren't motherboards with iGPU

wait what?

not anymore

nowadays integrated gpus are in the cpu, fyi
i'm not aware of any that had an igpu in both

I have an exam tomorrow about computer communications; what are the most common questions asked?
The class was about IP subnetting, tcp/ip and iso model, networking devices, and focused on the layers of the tcp/ip model. Mostly L3.

Is it just me or do people on this board hate arch now? Is it a meme? What distro is better? Is Gentoo anything more than a meme?

just use the distro you're most comfortable with jfc

>If it's staying in one place and above room temperature the whole time, condensation if pretty much impossible. That rapid cooling may be worse for the drive than doing nothing.
Yeah it's above room temp and on my desk. I assume you mean some form of mechanical stress by the last part, you're right I'll try to control my autism next time.

>Mfw most comfortable with mint and now on arch because of outdated Sup Forums memes

I'm transfering files from my pc to raspberry with dolphin file manager using fish protocol. I'm connecting to the raspberry locally (192.168.x.x) yet the speed is at my ISP's cap. Shouldn't the speed be limited by my hardware capabilities when the transfer is on LAN?

is streaming movies wearing down ssd?

What to subclasses inherit from superclasses in Java?
The info I'm reading states:
"An instance of a subclass stores all the instance variables
of the superclass (even private ones), plus all the
instance variables defined in the subclass.
Be careful though, private instance variables of the
superclass are NOT INHERITED"

This literally seems to contradict itself directly.
Or am I reading something wrong?

streaming movies [over the internet, presumably] doesn't even use your ssd

What's a good way to think about abstraction?
I see it used in different contexts and it always takes me some time to figure out what it means in what context.

Only if it's caching to SSD

Stop that.

I bought an ASUS VZ279H, and it turns out there's no headphone jack, only a 3.5mm audio-in port
I plugged my ps4 into it and the speakers sound kinda shitty, so I'd rather use my headphones, but as it turns out, the ps4 slim doesn't have a headphone port, and connecting my headphones into the controller makes the audio sound like shit as well.
Is there any way I can get good audio outta my ps4 with my current setup? My ps4 is also right next to my PC if that helps.

>Stop that.
Why?