>2017
>everything tech is getting smaller
>except graphics cards

why?

phones went back to being bigger than the previous ones, noob

This. Normal-sized phones these days would have been phablets a few years back.

computer-case makers conspiring
gotta make big gpus to keep selling big cases

they are also getting smaller, see the 1080 mini and the r9 nano

it's just a niche market because menchildren want lots of power and don't care about power efficiency

do they really need to be that big or is it also a marketing thing?

>if something is small that means it's power-efficient too!
So is your dick so small that it actually generates electricity?

Yeah, that's what I thought

>power efficiency

My desktop isn't a laptop tho

would it be expensive to re-engineer the RAM every single generation? it seems like most of the room is just for surface area anyways, to keep temps down

its a niche market because only nobody cares about efficiency in an entertainment device and most importantly only autismos care about fitting powerful graphics cards in the shitty fucking useless ugly and weird "mini" case they bought because they're retarded (e.g. you)

Laptop 10xx's are almost as powerful as their desktop equivalent. There's your use case, fgt.

because GPUs are made to be as beefy as power/thermal limits allow, and the vast majority of a card is power regulation/delivery and heatsink/fan.

While things like the Fury Nano exist, cards like the non-X Fury will probably stay the standard, where a tiny sized GPU/RAM cluster still uses a big air-cooled board.

A lot of the ridiculous heatsink/fan size is because it's expected that you're going to OC the fuck out of it.

tablets.
not phabglets

>touching the card edge contacts

fagblets

Fuck, it wont even fit where it belongs

lmao

Please shut the hell before you actually influence anything

fuck I hope Vega overclocks well.

the rumored 225W base power, plus the possibility of board designs like these that can remove close to 400W could be nuts.

Big cards to compensate for small dicks

they are actually getting smaller and more efficient

>Power efficiency
>For a large, stationary object that will be constantly plugged in
>And even the craziest computer builds pull less than five incandescent lightbulbs
Are you so poor a $0.5 per year power bill increase will bankrupt you?

People who buy high end graphics cards are autists who just want to see bigger numbers.

>In a laptop
Yes, something that uses a battery needs to be more efficient than something connect to mains power at all times. Good job user.

heat otuput, people dont like their hardware running hot and heating up the room

Meh, my guess is that manufacturers want to balance price/shittiness efficiency. Like when Asus used the same DCUii cooler in 780 and 280X cards which led to 280X's memory overheating. Or when the 290X's coolers most heatpipes didn't actually make contact with the core. Or if you replace Nano's fan with almost any other 120mm fan the temps will go down 10C. Little bit of scrap iron is cheaper than properly engineering it. Also, big bad coolers look KEWL in your gaming rig.

You're going to write that "no Nvidia/AMD wouldn't shit on me". Well think about how TDP values have gone down, think about how big most of the current coolers are and think about how the noice of those coolers hasn't improved in about eight years.

That's fair but that's mostly because nobody has been (((brave))) enough to make a three slot GPU with a giant cooler.

>what is R9 Nano
>what is GTX970 ITX

Small graphics cards are there if you need them, baka user.

not nowadays at least

>What is the GTX970 ITX
A house fire

>What is R9 Nano
An experimental fusion reactor

There are smaller graphics cards. But the big boys will always need to dissipate that heat.

I have this one.
i wish to upgrade but it feels stupid why cant this giant heavy ass piece of shit run better? it was expensive too when i bought it and you cant even overclock it that well!

Small graphics card means it doesn't need as much space to dissipate heat. Less heat produced means its more efficient as power turning into heat instead of more graphics performance is the nature of inefficiency.

Hes right and you are retarded.

Or it means it dissipates the same amount of heat but runs as hot as a nuclear reactor.

I had a 7970 as well until recently, but mine was Gigabyte. Couldn't overclock for shit.

>I had a 7970 as well until recently, but mine was Gigabyte. Couldn't overclock for shit.
is it worth upgrading? or should i just wait 5 more years and buy an used 1080 or similar?

Only bigger on two axis, probably less volume than older ones. If only they'd make phones thicker.

Well, mine has shat itself, so I didn't really have a choice.
I got a RX480, it's about 50% faster while being quiter and cooler. I'd say it's a decent upgrade. If you're looking to upgrade I'd advise to wait for Vega and see if it's worth it, otherwise just go for RX480 or GTX1060 and you'll be fine for 1080p for a quite a long time.

why did you get so triggered? Holy shit, fucking gaymers

>implying I play games

phablets is an actual term, noob.

HBM2 WILL MAKE GPUS SMALL AGAIN!

It'd be real swell if someone puts out a mini 480

Well, I don't either and low power efficiency is my no.1 priority when building a new PC

also
>a $0.5 per year power bill increase
try 100 times that

>nobody cares about efficiency in an entertainment device
he says, living in his parents' basement

My current build never exceeds 45W and has a 22W average. It's tiny, fanless and does exactly what I want a computer to do. Why should people like me, who don't play games and use their computers merely as a home/office station (so, the vast majority of PC owners) opt for something bigger that draws a lot more power and uses up a lot more space?

If you don't push the chip, you can achieve very small form factors.
But with the money you spend on a GPU, combined with the fact 99% of games are GPU bound nowadays, not pushing it is pretty stupid, because hey, free performance, and unlike CPU overclocking it's performance that actually matters.
Well, and if you really want to push it, then your GPU grows into a two slot, three fan monstrosity 90% of which is the cooling solution.
Discrete GPUs are also a product where size doesn't really matter unless you REALLY overdo it, since laptop gaming and tiny cases are both niche ventures and kind of retarded.

>low power efficiency
Don't you mean high power efficiency?

The smaller you go, the more compromises you have to make.
That's why there are always desktops that are more powerful than the most powerful laptops.
And same for laptops vs tablets and phones.
It's why a single computer used to fill the whole floor of an office building, and now the whole floor is still full, just full of multiple powerful computers working together.

kek
yeah that's what I meant

>muh power efficiency
>Why should people like me, who don't play games and use their computers merely as a home/office station (so, the vast majority of PC owners) opt for something bigger that draws a lot more power and uses up a lot more space?

You're the textbook iGPU user, why are you here whining about discrete GPUs?

>everything is becoming smaller
>which means more can be stuffed into the same old space

That's why you dumbfuck mobile troglodyte.
That's also the reason portable devices
are not as powerful as desktop equivalents
despite what your stupid brain was meme'd
into believing by marketing teams.

>try 100 times that
so $50? that comes out to be a whopping $4.15 a month. Gee, what will I do with all of the money?

buy chinkshit

/thread

>why?
The point of a graphics card is to install it into a computer, not to carry it around in your purse.

No one is going to drop $600 on a GPU if it isn't powerful. Power efficiency is only useful on mobile devices.

bigger better

>americans

>2020
>7" phones is now the norm.
>Apple is the only company that offers 5.5" phones
>sony makes super compact phones that are only 6"
People buy it anyway because phones break and they need new ones.

that would be true if everyone didn't have huge rubber phone covers that more than double the thickness.

>HBM2 WILL MAKE GPUS SMALL AGAIN!

500-550 mm^2 Vega 10 and 600 mm^2 GP100 beg to differ!

Phones have stopped growing. 5-5.5" is the norm for a while now and you won't see phones much bigger, other than few exceptions.

>The LG G6 is 5.7 Inches on the screen with over 90X screen-to-bezel ratio
>New Samsung Galaxy S8 will drop the home button for more screen space.

That would make sense if you don't account for memory.
GDDR5 is fucking huge compared to HBM

The PCBs can get pretty small even for the high end models, particularly the mini versions and HBM cards. People just want quiet(=big) fans with huge heatsinks for more cooling headroom for long heavy load sessions and overclocking.