Future of OLED Laptops

Hey Sup Forums

so after purchasing an OLED tv, I have discovered that OLED is in fact, not a meme, which leads me to my next point, I will be buying a new laptop for school (probably in august when I start graduate school) and I really want 2 things out of that laptop

1)OLED screen

2)dGPU

right now the only laptop that meets those requirements is the alienware, which would be perfect except for the fact that I'm not gonna be the autist who shows up to class to take notes on a fucking alienware. I've looked online and havent found any news of new OLED laptops.

Am I gonna be shit outta luck? My backup purchase will probably be the update surface book (crossing my fingers for something like a 1050 in the keyboard base)

bump

the alienware actually looks fine with the lights off or set to something sane like white

if it's in your price range and has the specs you want, i'd at least give it some consideration. i had an alienware 14 and it was pretty decent

it looks alright, besides the alienware logo, plus im not big on their trackpad, I think I would rather get the oled thinkpad that doesnt come with a graphics card, I figured if I really wanted to play a game on the laptop I could just sream it from my home rig.

Reason why there aren't many is that usually people use LCD screens when they're doing work. White's look better and more accurate on an LCD which is important when reading a lot of text. You should think about this if you're using it for school. Oled are great for media purposes like watching movies and maybe some gaming. Either will work but you might find it hard finding many OLED laptops out there

Have they fixed the OLED burn in problem?

i mean im going to MBA school, not art school, I figure that really wont affect me, spreadsheets, word documents, and powerpoints should look fine on an oled screen

No and they never will.

i did a fair amount of reasearch before buying my tv, and its my understanding that LG solved the burn in/color shift oled problems by using WOLED (essentially every oled just puts out white light and the color is acheived through filters) so there is no different color oleds like the blue ones that die faster, the screen is nothing but 100% white oleds

Pretty clever, there will still be burn-in, but it would be a lot less ugly than older RGB OLEDs with those green vomit looking burn-ins.

OLED still isnt making much progress on the laptop market though, I suppose if nothing new is announced, Ill chose between an OLED thinkpad and a surface book in august, if they announce something new Ill probably wait for it to come out.

WOLED sounds wasteful, energy-wise. I can't see that working out well in the mobile device market. Screens take up a lot of power.

OLED laptops do get worse battery life than their LCD coutnerparts, yes, but for me at least, it is worth the tradeoff, I can plug my laptop in in class etc... and they still beat out the fucking macbook I have right now.

Yeah you'll get by. It's not like it's going to be unbearable it's just that usually OLED is geared more towards media then productivity. Both work though

yeah I only want to have one laptop, and at least for me I only use my self-built desktop for gaming, for casual media consumption I like to lay in bed with my macbook

Why the ungodly fuck would anyone WANT a dedicated GPU in a laptop? If it's low power enough to not cause problems, it won't significantly outperform the integrated graphics. If it outperforms the IGP then chances are it'll burn a hole in your desk, especially with the latest gen nvidia stuff having scary high TDPs.

>chances are it'll burn a hole in your desk
no?

Yes. Go, look up the TDPs for current gen mobile cards. Nvidia have basically said "Fuck everyone, we're spewing out as much heat as we want."

The 1080 is in the ~130 watt range. That's INSANE. Even the lower end 1050 is ~50 watts. The x50 cards used to be ~35 watt TDPs. Go, look this shit up on notebookcheck, it makes for entertaining reading.

Although they have higher power consumption, they have the performance to match. They are identical to Desktop Nvidia GPUs, base clock is a bit lower but they turbo to the same clock speeds.

Also if the cooling system is adequately designed, laptops can definitely handle the 1050 without breaking a sweat.
The Alienware 15 has an overclockable CPU and a 1070 with a combined TDP up to 200W and it barely exceeds 67ÂșC on load, the fan noise isn't that annoying as well, all in the laptop the size of a ThinkPad T61p, but much thinner.

>Also if the cooling system is adequately designed
Since when are these things ever adequately designed? It'll suffer from the usual bunch of issues, including but not limited to the things functioning as vacuum cleaners and dying within three years, as they've always done. I swear, ever bloody generation someone on Sup Forums says
>This new generation of laptop GPUs will solve the underperforming, overheating probably that every previous generation has had!
And yet, if anything, it's only gotten WORSE since the 7xx series because nvidia have been ramping up TDPs while manufacturers have been insisting on cramming them into thinner cases. Basic common sense should tell you that this is a bad thing.

eGPUs need to be more widely available desu senpai.
can take your work with you and have a gaymen station wherever you leave it.
thunderbolt is more than fast enough to mimic a pci e slot.

All I want is a good ips display like on macbooks, is that so fucking hard to do?
Why not quantum dot either?

Face it, windows laptop manufacturers will never put time into a good screen and just use the cheapest garbage they can find

The only reason that MacBook are so expensive is that a good screen must cost a lot just to have

if the panel in lenovo/alienware/hp oled laptops is even half as good as my lg oled tv, then it kicks the shit out of the macbook display

>t. retina macbook fag

They are so freaking delusional.

Retina launch was a clusterfuck of bad panels.