Trying to hook my PS1 to an old LCD PC 4:3 monitor

Trying to hook my PS1 to an old LCD PC 4:3 monitor.

Tried it with the RCA to VGA converter that I use for my PS2, but seeing as the PS1 outputs 240p video instead of the 480p, all I see are frozen images of the game and I can hear the audio fine, even though I can see the PS1 opening splash creen with the Memory Card boot menu in real time, although it keeps on flickering.

What I'm thinking of doing next is getting a SCART to HDMI converter/upscaler so I can get the signal to 720p and then use a HDMI to VGA converter to get it to the monitor.

>inb4 just get a cheap old TV

I get that this isn't the most ideal of solutions, without spending 2000$ on low latency upscalers and I'd probably be better off with some old TV, but I REALLY need this to work with a monitor (anything else requires some serious rearrangement in my house), so any advice would be helpful.

What I meant when I mentioned the 240p and 480p output signals, is that LCD's only take a minimum of 480p, so I was assuming that's why I was seeing frozen images.

Also how is the upscaling going to look, assuming max resolution on the LCD monitor is 1024x768?

bump

Bumpity

bump

Stop bumping.

Ok

why not just use the ps2?
you know it can play ps1 games as well, right?

I'm talking about a modded PS1 with burned ISOs to CDs.

you can play ps1 backups on ps2's with a simple swaptrick

just like how you can do a swaptrick on any ps1 to play backups without chipping it

This is why I keep an old analog TV around. Look on ebay for an analog medical monitor.

>simple swaptrick

You mean that "remove-the-ps2-game-while-spinning-and-quickly-spin-the-ps1-game" swaptrick?
Does it work for slim PS2s?

The most Ps1 outputs 240p, some game can output 480p

what i do;
1. boot ps2 without disc
2. enter Browser
3. insert any real ps1 disc, even a demo will do
4. swap disc with backup (while it's spinning, yes)
5. select ps1 disc item in browser
6. ???

yes, it works on slim models as well

Cool, thanks, that's a solid suggestion. I think I have an original of Metal Gear somewhere around.

How does saving games work? Does it recognize the memory card from the PS2?

you need to use a ps1 memory card in the ps2 to save ps1 games

You're suggesting all of this to play PS1 games. Emulate or buy an analog monitor or TV. You people are fucking retarded.

he wants to use this tv, which he already has working with his ps2
he wants to play ps1 games, which his ps2 can do
how is using the ps2 to play ps1 games not a reasonable solution?

Ah I see, will definitely try this out, although having a standalone config with fast-switch capabilities would be better, this will do for the time being. Thanks

the reason you can see the splash screen is because the playstation displays that in 480i, the flickering is because its interlaced and a PC monitor probably has shitty/no deinterlacing capabilities. If you really have to use that monitor the only thing you can do is get an upscaler, expect shit quality if you don't have money to invest in a decent one though. If you don't have room for a crt, your only other option is to find an lcd tv of a similar size to your monitor. TVs are far more likely to be friendlier with 240p and 480i. Again, expect shit quality though.

He specifically stated that getting an old TV was not an option

Otherwise it's a simple issue to just go down to a thrift store and pick up a CRT TV

Ah, so that's what the flickering was about. In that case, would interlacing be an issue with the upscaled video signal?

Also how shit quality are we talking about here? Shittier than the standard output and probably unplayable or just plain PS1-running-on-a-PC-monitor shit?

If the video is anywhere close to PS2 on a PC monitor, than I'm fine.

Your upscaler *will* do the deinterlacing for you.

And it should be an equivalent situation to PS2-on-a-PC-monitor. Basically, you've only got half the vertical resolution as you "should".

my ps1 played fine on lcd. though i played crt mostly then so i couldve been real bad at it and had no way of knowing.

>Your upscaler *will* do the deinterlacing for you.

Nice, I did not know that.
Thanks man, this seems worth trying out.

What mean this? feeds to even and double buffers on the odd?

>my ps1 played fine on lcd

What was your setup? Was it an SD LCD?

How is emulating not a reasonable solution? Literally a fraction of the time and effort to set up (especially if trying to play burned shit), and any potato can emulate a ps1 at this point.

d-does this work with ripped ps2 discs?

no

the best non-invasive way to run ps2 backups is to get freemcboot onto a memory card (using one of several methods, the easiest being to simply buy a memory card on ebay with it already installed)
then run ESR from there, which can boot ESR-patched ps2 backups without a swaptrick

ps1 emulators aren't perfect, not everything runs accurately
offer it as an option, but don't have a go at people for not wanting to do it

Just use your PS2, there's only a couple PS1 games that don't work on PS2

>ALL OF THIS

>get up and push button

Fuck iLife. Fuck consumer electronics. Imma go play dragon quest 6.

If user wasn't trying to play burned games then yes, all it would be is pushing a button. But that is not the case.

>emulating when you have the hardware

my mistake it was a huge crt.

Hey, I have the hardware too, but like OP I lack a proper tv to use it on anymore so I have to emulate as well.

i have a proper tv AND i emulate
the reason being that while i do have a ps1 and a ps2, i don't have some other consoles i emulate, and it is more convenient for games that emulate well and if you already have the appropriate hardware for it

OP has a proper TV, he just needs a SCART cable and a SCART to VGA adapter.

There's also legacy testing. It would suck trying to enjoy your old favorites and ruining the experience bc you couldnt hear passed the botnet, firmware, daemons, and networking. botnet might even phase out cylinders causing it to squeal like a rust machine.

Even worse if its his g browsing machine. Let them make this place a better diy place than reddit. Are they still called cylinders in ram?

>OP has a proper TV
he said it was a PC monitor, not a TV

This, if it was a proper tv OP would have had no issue in the first place.

Okay, you semantic twats. He has a monitor that will work given he spends pocket change on two cables.

But it is. All he needs to do is bypass the tray bus controller. It just occured to me I had a flap. Doh. What a brat. If only the crayon trick still worked.

Im gonna be using the big ps2 today. It has a flap too. Its as easy as cutting it out and locking the coupling point so there is no kernel reaction.

Well that's just if you don't want to spend a few dollars on a mochip.
>tfw can't use FreeMCBoot to natively play PS1 games

Lol silver spoons on Sup Forums. With the two posts you are replying to we here at g have lost some credibility.

>have a go
Fuck off Brexit

SCART > VGA isn't a trivially cheap cable
while they're electrically compatible, the signals aren't in this case, consoles output 15KHz signals, while VGA monitors are 31KHz+
typically you want something that will upscale/deinterlace to at least 480p, which requires an active convertor

literally who?

Omg this thread. Im playing 3rd strike on ps2 again, holy fuck.

I have a flap but im not sure where the bios is loaded and autorun executes or however that goes. Fuck google. We have a Sup Forums thread.

This is Sup Forums bro

Just surrend and use emulators like the rest of us, they perform much better and you can safe your progress

no

>using savestates

i think im gonna be sick

>not loading a savestate of the game menu then loading your saved game

>not wanting to waste your youth on loading screens
>not dedicating your whole day to playing one single video game

Nice combo.

Okay, anyone remember exactly when to switch?

>thinking Sup Forums can actually help you with a tech issue
this board has turned into nothing but a circlejerk of tripfags and sockfags, you're better off going to a ps1 forum or something for actual, legit help.

Load screens share a lot of info. Some more intuititively than others. Whats a better way to feel out your last save than to fill in the progress yourself via the load menu. Like a journal or something.

Not OP, but would any CRT PC monitor do?

I know that it handles 240p well, but wouldn't there also be interlacing issues there?