/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part IV: Part III: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6785580/
Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671
archlinux.org/news/dropping-i686-support/)
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#.22Failed_to_commit_transaction_.28conflicting_files.29.22_error
librecore.info/
bomi-player.github.io/gallery.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Today I will remind them

i can see the linux penguin but where's the gnu gnu?

What's wrong with frogposting? Are you a racist or something?

It's ugly and I can't think of a good way to include it. I thought about putting it on the hat but the pepper is better.

Anti racist

Fyi the Anti Defamation League declared Pepe a hate symbol.

frogposting, n.
low quality googled thumbnail smug pepe w/ 9gag watermark, usually posted by some non-Sup Forumsent in order to gather pcpartpicker ratings, stupid questions, or btfo-ing non-normie software using basement dwellers

Back in my days, frogposting meant the opposite. ;_;

Only newfags think frogposting has anything to do with racism.
Fuck off back to Sup Forums with all the other newfags faggot

The amount of thumbnails posted here, especially Sup Forums is astounding. Honestly it should be a ban worthy offense. If you think it's normal for a Pepe or what have you to be 300 x 300 or similar you aren't a very smart individual.

In the real world Pepe is a hate symbol. Newfag.

You're just embarrassing yourself.

>Open the last thread
>Vim advice
>Someone recommends "0i" to write at the beginning of the line.

Is it always underage in here?

Capital I, newfags.

>You're just embarrassing yourself.

>he doesn't realize that frogposting was always about race

Does anyone actually use "Snaps"? There's even an Arch wiki page on them, but I don't think anyone uses them.

>>>he doesn't realize that frogposting was always about race
Holy crap, just stop please.
You could not be more of a newfag if you tried

>falling for all of this obvious bait
LOLOL

>whitespace in filename
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>laughing out loud out load

how to fix Arch's font config post infinality
I followed this gist
gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671 (embed)

and enabled
export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=40

in /etc/profile.d/freetype2.sh
the fonts look better than the default state but still nowhere as good as the infinality fonts

That was me and I just learned about I. What does it have to do with someone's age?

>Arch
found your problem

It's hardly bait when 80% of Sup Forums these days is honestly that ill informed.

That's like blending in to a special ed class and then patting yourself on the back at the end of the day because nobody pointed you out for not really being a retard.

Holy shit, just paste that sample fontconfig from the Wiki and be done with it.

>he doesn't laugh out lout out loud laugh out loud
HAHAHAHAHA

>GNU/Linux
Linux

I somehow love this. Finally all Arch fags will realize that they don't need meme infinality.

still waiting for the day when archfags realize they don't need arch in order to have a minimal distro

whats wrong with arch???

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

are you still googleing for the second part of the pasta, or -?

>using google

this (fixing the post infinality era) config files and cleaning up old symlinks and editing conf files has been the most extreme post update/upgrade I have done in arch in the last two years.
I honestly don't know why people still meme the shit out of it. All my updates are accumulated over a month or more, because I simply don't have time or energy for every day updates. However, it's still much better than reinstalling buntu based distros every 6 months.
plot twist: it's the same arch install for over 4 years

>ubuntu based
what

>GNU/Linux
I miss /flt/.

I don't. It was a pile of shit which recommended Mint.

create it and dont be a nag

Arch btw

Thanks man, makes much more sense.

When I open something from my shell in my terminal emulator, it's run "under" the terminal emulator. What is the "parent" when I run the same thing from a .desktop file or somewhere else?

Depends on the file.
It may execute the program directly, run in the shell, etc.

What if it's a GUI program?

>arch dropping 32 bit support
>Their April fool's joke in 2009 was about removing 32 bit support (archlinux.org/news/dropping-i686-support/)
It seems a bit weird and lazy but who still uses 32 bit anyway

So, what are some essential programs for a new Linux?

Is PulseAudio the best way to handle audio?

I think it's considered to be run by your window manager. Or by X or something like that.

GNU/Linux*

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

>essential
already there, discover them

You're right. I don't understand why there are 2 LightDM processes and one apparently under the other.

Capital letters are usually modifiers of the lower case function, and double presses are often the most common (usually line related) use also. Just experiment.

a -> A appends onto the end of the line from anywhere in it.

w and e become W and E, and jump by words separated by spaces rather than just anything that isn't a character. dE will delete a word like wrong["item"] or stupid_long-variable_name in one go.

f / t become F / T, and search backwards instead of forwards.

d is delete.
dw, delete to beginning of next word.
dt", delete up to (not including) the " char.
D is delete to the end of the line (basically d$)
dd is delete the line you're on.

c[movement] is change (delete and put in insert mode)
C is change rest of line (c$)
cc is change this line (like ddO)

etc.

Some commands become actually useful this way.

s is delete a single letter then enter insert mode (like pressing xi). No idea why you'd want that, I never use it.
S though substitutes the entire line which is actually useful. S is like pressing C but always from the first non-whitespace character.

The only one that doesn't fit the pattern is y. Idk why.
yy yanks a line as expected.
Y doesn't yank to the end of the line though. You gotta use y$ like a pleb.

y so mad tho senpai. Linux will always be Linux. GNU will always be GNU. GNU/Linux is the combination of both.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

"
" Y : Be consistent with C and D.
"

nnoremap Y y$

Let me rephrase.

What are /fglt/'s favorite GNU/Linux programs (other than the OS itself)

I love you, thanks. It feels like I've seen the light.

cowsay

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications

- atool
- aria2
- audacity
- blender
- ffmpeg
- gimp
- htop
- imagemagick
- lemonbar
- mpd + ncmpcpp
- mpv
- pv
- sox
- urxvt
- vim
- youtube-dl
- xdotool

Failed to open /etc/brlapi.key: Permission denied
Failed to open /etc/sudoers: Permission denied
Failed to open /etc/gshadow: Permission denied
Failed to open /etc/gshadow-: Permission denied
Failed to open /etc/.pwd.lock: Permission denied
Failed to open /etc/crypttab: Permission denied
Failed to open /etc/shadow-: Permission denied
Failed to open /etc/shadow: Permission denied
Failed to open /swapfile: Permission denied
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port1.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port2.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port3.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port4.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port5.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port6.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port7.gun_chairs
unhandled setting UI: psx.input.port8.gun_chairs

Why would RetroArch try to open /etc/shadow? What hte fuck?

every application with a file picker or built-in file manager may do something like that. Anyway are you sure you are not sharing your /etc/ folder?

Reminder that syntax highlighting is for kids and faggots

:syntax off

Ubuntu and Mint have a noob friendly way to look at 3rd party drivers and install them for stuff like WLAN cards and GPUs.

How do I something like that in Fedora?

Don't understand how people can code without it.

When I land on a bad colourscheme (I change a lot cos I'm an autist), it's like reading a wall of text vs reading nice short paragraphs.

You're right, I think / was set as a location for one of the config files.

Pay them no mind user. People who code without syntax highlighting are animals.

There is no point of the shitux meme if it has no games, it's why everyone buys a computer so they can play advanced video games.

Just installed arch. It tries the start job for 90 seconds and then boots after pic related. Suggestions?

wtf wat do

> Not knowing how to read the wiki

Holy fucking kek go back to Ubuntu faggot

>Just installed arch.
just fucked up

initialize pacman's keys

im mentally disabled

did now weechat is JUSTIng my sht up

Why does Sup Forums hate arch now? It seems like in the past few weeks people have gone from shilling arch to actively shilling against it.

fanboys vs memers, ignore both

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman#.22Failed_to_commit_transaction_.28conflicting_files.29.22_error

Arch seems like the best distro because Pacman is the best package manager. Gentoofags who think portage is good and not overly complicated is autistic

yeah ik but why does it do that sometimes

just forcing upgrade of package fixes it but why...

is webkitgtk2 even needed?

says it's vulnerable so i just removed it and everything seems to work lol. was only using it for geany-plugins anyway

mentally I'll tranny BTFO
librecore.info/

did you run weechat as root?

>I'll
you'll what?

>mentally I'll tranny BTFO
no sure if typo or you fantasize about becoming a tranny

No.

This happens with different packages sometimes I just want to know why.

If I'm starting from a minimal net-install does it matter if I go Ubuntu or Debian, don't they both have the same base?

yeah, ubuntu is based on debian, and debian is based on debian

That's why Debian is so fuckin' based.

hey you are the aria2 xdotool guy
i know you from another thread
hello, how are you ?

Whats the best mpv frontend? Searching for something lightweight but with comfy stuff for adjusting filters, eq, etc.

I would go with bomi, which provides mpv internally.
bomi-player.github.io/gallery.html

Will check, ty

Quick question, is it possible (or perhaps a better question would be, is it sensible) for a user to configure their computer so that, after being turned on, the graphical environment on TTY 7 isn't automatically started and instead, has to be activated by a command in order for the user to chvt and use it?

The reason I'm asking is because I do most of my work in the terminal and really don't need a graphical environment most of the time. So, if I disable it so that it's not running at all, I assume I would get slightly better performance, or at least better battery life from my laptop. Would this indeed be the case?

Also though, I do occasionally want to need to use a graphical environment and so, would there be a way to activate it through a command, making it available on TTY 7 and then when I no longer need it, a command which will allow me to kill it altogether until I request it again?

I don't get your problem. If you don't want X to start at boot just disable your login manager. Then when you need it just switch tty and run startx.

I'll look into that more but, since you're here, if I disabled the login manager at boot then that's essentially the same as not having X start at boot? Will it then just display TTY 1 after booting up? If that's the case, will running startx automatically run X on TTY 7, and all I'd have to do is chvt over to it? And if that's the case, would there be a way to disable X after I don't need at anymore without rebooting, placing me back on TTY 1? Sorry for all the back-to-back questions.

How is pacman the best package manager?

NEW EMAIL FROM RMS
>MARXISM IS VALID
>MARXISM IS VALID
>MARXISM IS VALID

>I haven't read him
>But I think he's got great ideas!
>Except what that Lenin did!
>Even though I haven't read any of these ideas!
He's like a retarded college freshman

>I haven't read him
>But I think he's got bad ideas!
>Especially what that Lenin did!
>Even though I haven't read any of these ideas!
You're like a retarded Sup Forumslack college dropout. Read up:
fixd