I just dont get the raspberry pi. But then I was a couple years late to bittorrent too, so

I just dont get the raspberry pi. But then I was a couple years late to bittorrent too, so...

Main question: Why do so many people want tiny computers? Just for fun? I figure you can't all be building magic mirrors and lego robots.

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/store/product/cubietruck-3-5-inch-hard-disk-kit-free-shipping/614658_1465936978.html
armbian.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's just something cool you can tinker with for a couple of weeks and then stuff in a drawer for the rest of your life

you can make a paintball sentry gun controller that shoots people based on their skin color from a camera etc

See that's what I thought, but I look back later and it's still on the Amazon bestsellers lists and they've released a third version and they have a competitor. Weird

Ok.... Now you have my attention..... #BlackPanthers

They're great for DIY projects.

The general purpose pins mean you can make just about any electronics and it can be a fully functional desktop computer.

The raspberry pi specifically is popular because it was the leader in making a consumer product SBC that was marketed as having practical uses (like giving it to school children so they can learn basic electronics and programming).

Too weak to do real computing, too powerful to be used as embedded micro controllers.

Just right to be used as a DIY, general purpose microcontroller or lightweight PC

I'm pretty sure this is illegal

Not everyone lives in Fascist States.

smart to add "paintball" to that sentence.

you can setup a plex/kodi server to stay online all the time (it consumes little power) and stream music and movies to any device.
Some people have the retro games kink too, retropie + cheap chink controllers from ebay/ali = $$
Also used for PieHole/VPN and home automation

A general-purpose microcomputer that runs 3 operating systems and has analog input-output system.

Mine is currently running as a RetroPie machine (shocker). People make net things with them thoug. Such as GameGrrl, there is paintball sentries as said, and alot more. People like it because its small, light, cheap, cost-to-performance is good, doesn't use alot of power (great for portables or deployables), and has a great community. The real question is "What will you make with one?"

>stream music and movies to any device
NAS, any router with USB connector
>retro games
Do you specifically need underpowered arm hardware to run emulators? A PC can into PS2/Xbox emulation at stable framerates, this piece of shit barely runs Doom.
>PieHole/VPN
(openwrt) router with privoxy, vps with privoxy, any fucking computer with privoxy, literally the same, or just fucking copy paste domains to your hosts files, moron, or install ublock on your browser

A raspberry pi wouldn't be suitable for such a task since it is going to be a poor transcoder. Maybe if you transcode all your video ahead of time, but that's just extra hassle for no good reason.

> Use routers
They are under-powered and overpriced POS. A RPI will be much better than a router.

>Use desktop to run emulators
Not an ideal living room solution. Especially since they cost at minimum $75 more new and use more power.

It has so many uses. I use it just for tinkering with various servers and network services. Nginx, SSH, DNS, so forth.

i do small staging servers with mine and play around with saltstack. just a learning tool really, but quite enjoyable.

No shit a PC can do all that. The whole point is small form factor, cheap price and ultra low power consumption.
A Pi can do all that too, and you don't need to own a VPS or NAS for it. But yeah, I don't understand the "retro" games kink, must be a americuck fetish for old nintendo stuff

i guess you could use it for prototyping for electronic gadgets

i don't have one though, i don't have a use for it

You still need a router to connect pi to your network, instead of buying two pieces of shit, save a bit more for something decent as one device.

Mine hosts a website, syslog server, pi-hole DNS and more

Pi can pull double duty. It has 4 cores and 1gb of ram. Routers less than $100 have at max 128 mb of ram and that is a bit of a stretch.

I use one for emergency SSH access. It uses ~5w so it's no problem leaving it on. I use my rpi3 for game system emulation, it works pretty well for anything before the N64. I have a rpi2 that I've been meaning to mess with, built part of a home automation application in Java that I'll run on it eventually.

You can use it for any small thing you want running 24/7 without having to worry about power draw.
Deluge daemon
NZB-related stuff
etc.

>1gb of ram
My thinkpad has 16x that

>1gb of ram
My old thinkpad has quadruple of that and a battery.

It's nothing more than a meme machine, meme machine, it's a motherfucking machine. Meme machine, meme machine, without memes it will die.

>Chromebook
>Linux
YAAAAAAAAAS QUEEN

Currently using mine to host a shitty webserver,

Guys, what's your FAVORITE cheap-ish single board computer that has at least one SATA port and a good ethernet interface?

orange pi

An AWS micro instance costs about $10 / month. A raspi server is about as powerful, costs about three months of AWS, and works even when the internet is down.

You use them to run computing tasks that don't take much juice or that you want to leave always on, and if you can't think of any of these you're probably better off on Sup Forums.

I do as says and have a pi2 + hdd running plex (want to swap to kodi) and a homebrew deluge / RSS bot that downloads anime. Also planning on running hydrus and cozy cloud eventually.

What's the purpose of all these bloated meme ""apps"" like kodi or plex when you can simply set up a nas or ftp?

Looks pretty slick, thanks for the suggestion

Plex and Kodi basically give you your own personal netflix with a TV-fremote riendly UI, auto tagging, and playback syncronization. I can pause a show on the living room TV and resume it where it left off in the bedroom TV or on my phone.
My PIs don't actually store much files aside from the software they run, which is the plex clients / a server and deluge with an RSS feed. The actual storage is on my synology.

it's a microcontroller that's powerful enough to have some actual brains about what it's doing, so image processing tasks and whatnot
the other nice bit is that you can do all of your development on the device itself

it sucks as a desktop computer though, unless you run like the most barebones software or only use the terminal (that's mostly because of actual bloat that wouldn't be an issue on an ordinary PC made within the last ten years, but on something as slow as the Pi, which resembles a computer from 2000 at best in terms of performance, you're not going to be happy)

the retro gaming thing is just a stupid "DIY" project that gets promoted to sell the things (read: download sd image, load with roms, put into pi, plug into tv, there's nothing you really have to do other than maybe get a case and controllers)
it's kind of ass for emulation and I can use my phone (even have a little controller clip for it) or laptop (massively better performance and more robust emulators)

This thing runs like $65 all in, while the niggerest of desktops would cost ~100

Granted, the desktop will still have far more expandability, outperform it by a factor of at least two, etc

>it sucks as a desktop computer though, unless you run like the most barebones software or only use the terminal
>the Pi, which resembles a computer from 2000 at best in terms of performance
you're an idiot

SATA ports on all the arm boards suck ass because they don't support 3.5" drives

quality bost, upboted x--D

also if you want something electronic/ internet/wifi enabled but don't want to dedicate a full computer to it.

I use mine as a brown noise generator with optical digital output for maximum quality static noise.

do 3.5'' drives need some kind of special sata port?

I dare-say the SATA port doesn't really care about the physical dimensions of your drive.

I'm using some for my senior design project at school. They're great with sensors and other stuff hooked up to them.

>a competitor
Try a few dozens

I started off downloading all my files to PC, watching them, then dumping them off on my external HDD when I was done.

Turns out it's more convenient to have the drive on the net somewhere, so I learned to stream with VLC and used that for a while.

Then I wanted a better interface than the default apache "Index Of", so I wrote a kinda minimal web app that would list things with links that would auto open VLC.

Then I wanted it to look nice, so I wrote a script that would grab TVDB images and put together a webpage for the collections.

At this point I realized that I was approaching plex and that it would be far more efficient to just use the thing that's already written than to cobble it together on my own.

TLDR it's basically got all the features I want.

underrated post

It's a solution in search of a problem.

do you actually watch movies more than once though? Why keep the files after you watch them? Not to mention everything's available so easily on the internet as torrents you can stream, why store it locally?

amazing set top box or emulator that you can make to do anything

Ok well you can now, you just need an external power supply for your HDD
There weren't any last time looked but aliexpress.com/store/product/cubietruck-3-5-inch-hard-disk-kit-free-shipping/614658_1465936978.html

Because I'm poor at and pis have a lot of online documentation.

just get a DO droplet

If you are poor, you buy a used thinkpad and get a better job with it.

not the person you replied to, but lately finding old stuff has been harder than it used to be (probably since I can't be arsed to get into a private tracker).
So I just hoard anything I think I might be interested in in the future. I also archive my favorite youtube channels, soundcloud artists, etc in case they get taken down or jontron deletes yet another video.

There are no states where setting booby traps on your property for any purpose is considered anything but highly illegal. You can use lethal force on burglars in most, if not all states, but if you set traps for them then you are royally fucked if someone gets caught in one, despite the circumstances of how they came to get caught in it. Not only will you face criminal charges, but you will likely be held civilly liable as well. God help you if a cop, firefighter, paramedic, census taker, postal courier, etc. gets caught in a trap you've set to deter burglars.

>when Sup Forums and Sup Forums poured their combined autism into a single project

webcamera spying

>Hook up powered USB hub
>Get a bunch of portable HDDs
>Cheap and efficient Server

I use my Pi 3 for media watching(Kodi)

Not him, but the official images for this board suck balls.
Use armbian.com/ instead.

Also since they're using chink CPUs that are likely riddled with backdoors and shit, please don't expose them to the internet.

Otherwise it's a cool board.

Its nice for embedded development and wireless debugging. For example, on my team's FSAE Electric car, we ssh into it to see/log the CAN bus data in real time. Cheaper than any commercial CAN interface and nicer to use. The only fundamentally shitty thing about it is that it uses an SD card for storage. I can almost guarantee that if it had higher throughput storage, it would not be slow at all. People attribute the Pi's bad desktop performance to some processing deficiency, when in fact it's more or less equivalent to a modern smartphone.

But you'd be a fool to use it as a desktop. It's a shit PC but a brilliant way to integrate Linux into an otherwise microcontroller-based system.

I've bought one.

The official distros suck dick. Official support from the Devs is dead, absolutely dead. Only Armbian has any support left and I'm not sure how much longer they're going to focus on the H3 or even give support.

And a backdoor has been discovered but it's easily fixable.

Honestly, if I was going to buy a board today for running an OS, I'd probably buy an odroid. If you want to make use of the GPIO pins then Orange Pi will be good.

How so? It's still an idea which would violate at least 2 different US laws if implemented.

>NAS, Routers with USB
You realize the Pi can do that too, right? And for cheaper than a lot of off the shelf systems?

>TV
fuck off to normie reeee

see if you can get a faster SD card, i have a really fast one for my DSLR

The company I work for uses them to power 4000+ vending machines. If that wasn't bad enough some asshole decided to base them all on arch

raspberry pi is an sjw company, plus it's a shitty board buy a superior alternative.

>Why do so many people want tiny computers?
Low power consumption and low heat output = neat server for low demand applications.
But I don't use Raspberry Pis, I use actual x86 embedded processors like the AMD APUs on my APU2d4 as an external-traffic only IDS. Hook a direct rechargeable battery pack to it and you've got the best bang-for-your-buck server with a UPS for under $300.

You can make so much shit out of these little fuckers, A handhold emulator that plays NES games and shit, A proxy/router (I think) You can build a robot out of one, so much stuff.

I wanted to give a commodore 64 to my gf because she grew up with that, but those things are expensive, not to mention the tapes.

So I just tossed retropie on one, bought a 3d printed case that looks like a commodore and installed all her favourite games.

Way easier and more convenient than getting the real thing

Built a home automation system with mine. Have it set up to turn on my coffee pot at certain times and enable my battery bank if the power goes out right now. But working on more shit later on. Only reason I bought one was to turn it into a Steam streaming device, then discovered Jasper and had to try it.

raspberry pi foundation supports the education of programming, computing and electronics for ALL people regardless of age, sex or race.

how this this a bad thing to anyone who isn't a fuckwit?

This.

For people that actually HAVE a use for a dedicated server (mail, vpn, nas, web hosting, dns, etc) and you don't need something powerful, this can be left on all the time and costs basically nothing to run.
You don't need to host these sorts of things that demand 24/7 uptime on your PC and keep it on all the time, reducing longevity and increasing running costs.

this is one of the better posts ive seen on Sup Forums

>And a backdoor has been discovered but it's easily fixable.
Got a source for that?

I think in general what people wanted is remote access to their devices or a more easy way to replicate microcontroller programming.

Right now it seems wasteful to throw a raspberry pi into something. Get an ESP-12.
It's well suited for most projects and is very easy to work with.
For non-network enabled projects getting an arduino or ATMEGA programmer makes more sense.
You seem like a trustworthy legal expert. Completely unrelated to this, are there any laws against a device that actuates the trigger of a gun while it's under direct human control? Similar to tracking points scope.

It's a lot bigger and it draws more power.

>how this this a bad thing to anyone

they were using the sjw twitter block bot and ended up ignoring their customers on twitter because of wrongthink.

give them your money if you want.

>Xbox emulation

I'll start caring once they offer models with with slots for upgrading the RAM

because only white and asian men are capable of being programmers. there's a reason why all the women in tech are fucking trannies m8

Are you literally fucking retarded?

it's 5am where I am, cut me some fucking slat cunt

*slack

Pretty sure this can run PS1 and PSP games, and emulate all other devices made before 2000. As for do you specifically need this, not anymore since android phones exist. Sure, you can tinker with an rPi or a similar device and make it a portable emulator, but I believe you can just root your android phone, wipe everything that could run in background and only install the emulators and you'll probably get a better battery life and have an even more compact device. Hell, you could get an Oukitel K10000 and play games 24h straight.

what's the point

get some other thing if you need upgradable ram

Dust collection.

Well, okay... the latest one is pretty good for Kodi, but if you want a better STB the FireTV is faster and supports Netflix etc

I have one running a backup server because it was a cheap way to do it, but it tends to time out on large transfers and only has 100mbps network so the first backup takes like 2 days - I should get something better for it, really.

Decent emulators but imperfect and you can do better, unless you're specifically creating one of these Nu Amigas in the new case moulds or whatever.

I'd say the best applications are professional where you only need something basic and the accountants hate spending money - kiosks in shops, digital signage, basic computing for charities etc. Cheap to buy, cheap to run at such a low power. And of course, cheap tinkering for prototyping projects as hobbies or in schools.
Or if you want something low energy 24/7 at home and existing always-on hardware doesn't do it well (if it's a better VPN etc)

The biggest point is that it's cheap. Whenever I see "soandso has unveiled a Raspberry Pi KILLER!" I roll my eyes as it's always followed by "it's a bit more expensive at £69, but..."
NO YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT. They always do this, and the Pi always remains very much alive.

>le "one person running their account made an SJW tweet therefore boycott them" meme
Honestly who cares, everyone's allowed one mistake. They're not the only ones who fell for that crap.

>sjw twitter block bot
The fuck does this even mean?

It doesn't surprise me when Sup Forums or Sup Forums type like fucktards but this is Sup Forums, grow up and stop using buzzwords.

Who cares he's shooting niggers.

i use mine as a cheap fm pirate radio station.

I use mine as a paperweight.

>but if you want a better STB the FireTV is faster

just hopping in but the firetv is slow as balls running kodi, it's comparable to original rpi/rpi zero

i think someone needs to go back to plebbit

I think my first OrangePi PC just died.

It doesn't want to print any output past the 6 second mark when booting, it just stops.
Putting the microSD into another OrangePi PC boots fine.

This project is now officially called the Raspberry Nigger.
I'll start on a logo, somebody buy the hardware

I don't know if you mean the stick, but I meant the brick. It's quite a bit faster than even the Pi 3 at running it.
Source: I literally compared them a week ago.