Buy chromebook

>Buy chromebook
>install ubunbtu
>battery life lasts over 10hours
>light as all hell
>even the touch screen works
Why would anyone buy a old crappy thinkpad

>Why would anyone buy a old crappy thinkpad- 0 post shown.
Because I wanna be able to play a fucking video and not see individual frames... and I wanna have a more than 5 browser tabs open, you retarded shithead.

Enjoy that piece of shit.

calm down, friend.

Kek
Can watch videos.
Can have more than 5 tabs open.
literally no reason to run linux on some old bulky laptop with a 1 hour battery life.

>11 hours

Suuure.

Im pretty sure most chromebooks run on hardware better than a pentium iii user

I had an acer cb3, only had a celery n2840, 2gb of ram and a 16gb ssd

It was perfectly fine with 10+ tabs open, it could do 720p 50fps video fine, 60fps was 50/50, sometimes it would stutter, but not always

And that was only 150$ new when chromebooks were still kinda expensive
And it was a low end model by all means

There are lots now with i3-i7's, 8gb of ram and even some with dedicated gpu's
Theyre not meant to run anything more intensive than web browsing and media consumption, hence why they dont have hardware meant for professional work or gaming or whatever

When we're talking 150$ for a shitposting machine that comes with
>an 11 hour battery life
>no fans and no noise
>a fantastic touchpad

Its far better than a thinkpad at the same price when its just gonna be used for shitposting

nice facebooking and tweeting machine you have there, kid

not OP but what about googling instead of looking like an idiot on the internet

>Because I wanna be able to play a fucking video and not see individual frames
I watch 1080p 10bit anime w/ mpv just fine on my chromebook just fine.
>and I wanna have a more than 5 browser tabs open
Chromium or Firefox, 5 tabs open no sweat.
What's so hard to believe? Sure I use mostly terminal programs, but I can easily get 13 hrs of battery.

Look for the after c740 (I think) it has an i3, 4Gb ram, and a 32gb Msata. Perfect for Fedora. I got one on eBay awhile ago for 160$ and gave it to my sister because
>Linux

enjoy your 1366x768 cancer

What are the specs of that Chromebook? I've had good luck with traditional Linux distros on them before, but it was a few years back. My only complaint then was that the build quality was fragile enough that it could get broken in a backpack on public transport.

1280x 800
lighter than my textbooks

Sup Forums is completely clueless about low-power and low-spec things and of how much the tech world has developed, it's not worth it OP

It gets to the point where they believe NUCs, mini pcs or chromebooks are so shit they can't run 1080p video or have more than a few tabs open at a time. There are people on another thread right now who actually believe a raspberry pi 3 is unusable as a regular home pc.
This is kids who think people took a minute to move the mouse from one corner of the screen to the other when the standard ram was 16mb

You can get a fucking x230 with IPS for $150

NUCs that run atom are shittier than 3000 series core i5s in a thinkpad.

What $150 chromebook out performs a $150 thinkpad

Do you still have to rely on Crouton to install a distro? That is the ultimate dealbreaker for me right now with Chromebooks.

no shit

now, coreboot is available now allowing you to fully remove chrome os and install any distro, windows or in some cases os x

because i like the way thinkpads look

totally fucked up this post

>no instead of now
>and instead of or

My mom has a chrome book and it's terrible.

I want to store more than 2 high quality videos on my computer.

I haven't played around with chromebooks in a long time

Do you still have to solder something on the mainboard to install linux natively, or have we passed that point?

>hurr durr what is the cloud

that point never existed as far as I know
you have to remove a screw if you want to run it natively instead of dual booting

I see

I vaguely remember an install guide for an older acer chromebook which involved soldering something onto the mainboard.

>the cloud is on his computer
woah really makes you think

not everyone lives in bumfuck nowhere

Why would you download a video to watch it online?

Because he has to justify his $400 phone bill somehow.

>Chromebook
>Linux
YAAAAAAAAAS QUEEN

Legitimately curious now.
I need a new laptop after the chinkpad I was using to take notes on in uni died.
How long do you think a chromebook's battery would last if all you ever did on it was type shit up in Emacs?

It's a shame Chrome OS is so bloated. I regularly max out my 8 GB of RAM. It causes the system to crash.

>movie playing
>11 hours

Suuuuuuuuuuuure

My friend has a chrome book that he runs KDE and IDEs on (he's am absolute code money; a white pajeet) and he gets an average of 12 hours. Emacs would probably be 14 if you just had a window manager and a more lightweight system than ububbdo

Holy shit 12 hours is a lot
Looks like I'm getting a chromebook then. Now just which one...

well, you can use the good old thinkpad to whack a thief.
can't say the same about crampbook.

>being this much of retard
>thinking an old processor has better decoding than a new one

lmao
>a modern atom processor can play 4k YouTube videos without a single problem

Which one is 16:10?

it's literally only bloated if you make it bloated you idiot

movies != web browsing nigger

your fucking dumb my think pad has a i52500k that can run circles around a fucking chrome book

>Can watch videos.
320p, right? kek

>Can have more than 5 tabs open.
hahahahahaha... are they text/html only? Good luck opening a modern JS webapp with that shit and not having paging issues.

If your Chromebook was walking down the street and tried to mess with my Thinkpad, my Thinkpad would beat the shit out of it. No fucking chance.
My advice is to keep you and your WeakBook off the streets and in the trash where you belong.

While big daddy Mcbook Pro Mid-2012 fucks your wife and every woman you want to dick down in a blaze of masterful orgasm.

>I am too retarded to know about hardware decoding
>I am too retarded to know that Chrome OS doesn't need paging

old thinkpad will live on long after the hipsterbooks dead.

>literally no reason to run linux
chromebook is linux you fuck.

Your dad is a faggot. Deny it all you want.

Chromebooks have VP9 hardware decoding? For real??

AHAHHA HAHA HAH

You're a fucking shit for brains kid.

>what is basic mathematics

If they have a 2015 or later Intel chip then yes

>Basic mathematics will tell me which Chromebook model has a 16:10 aspect ratio
Hmmmmmmm

lmao... in chromebooks... ahhahaahah

Looks like you were asking based on the resolutions, try to be more specific we all have severe autism

who is this autist and why is he so angry at chromebooks

jesus christ

chromebooks are built to be electronic waste. google will not support them any longer than they need to.

Lmfao that's your clock, i3status only shows battery life estimation to the minutes place, and also that time lines up with your posting time. Good try though

What are you talking about? My 2012 chromebook is still getting updates

and people here are discussing putting linux on it, I don't understand why you autists are getting so triggered. It's a regular low-power laptop. It's just called a chromebook because it runs Chrome OS by default.

Seriously, what the fuck

Why would i need this when i have a phone and clover is best Sup Forums experience.

lmfao seconds are on by default
>You can hide seconds in the remaining time and empty time estimations by setting hide_seconds = true.
good try though

>tfw my dad beat up your dad
>tfw I know what my dad did to your dad
>tfw your dad got Marlon Brando buttraped by a MacBook Pro and my dad is a MacBook Pro who's pretty fuckin' rad.

5 years of updates. You might as well by a new improved cheap ass Chromebook by then.

Take another snapshot right now and if it is lower, you got me. I fucking bet it says 00:58:xx though.

u mad faggot?

G I stand corrected, enjoy your battery life

Just buy a good laptop for $800+ poorfags

What if you took a Chromebook and put a 500GB hard drive in it so you don't have to rely on cloud memes

Is that a good idea? Can you even open the fuckers?

Are you op by the way? Can you post your powertop output? That's impressive as fuck

512gb SSD. Just watch me.
*unzips*

"Few Chromebooks have outstanding build quality; the Acer’s is decent but not great. For the most part it feels sturdy, and its hinge tilts the screen way back for comfortable viewing. But the screen creaks a little under pressure, and the lid is heavy enough to overpower the hinge—at extreme angles, it can close or fall all the way back if you’re not holding it."

amazing value for money right there

don't h8 m8

not op

but C720

for anything where you can fully wipe the firmware, yes.

most new ones only have som bullshit seabios stub or "legacy" firmware section, so short answer is no.

I wouldn't waste your money on anything newer than a Acer C720.

Some allow that. Ask Google for which.

considering it's like $200

ya

I don't have the time, nor the autism required to get used to Linux so I can take notes for my classes. I'm a chem major, not a pool on the loo CS major.

PS I got an HP stream 14 on sale for $250 CAD and I get 11 hours out of it. It's slow as shit, but it's all I need for note taking and general purpose shit.

you can do that with m2 SSDs (42mm?) on every chromebook as far as I know, SATA SSDs or HDDs might be more difficult

I bought a netbook once. The battery failed just out of warranty. Never again.
But if everyones buying chromebooks then that's more cheap ex-business laptops available to look at on ebay, so who am I to complain?

ubuntu is the macos of the linux world

retard

They look like shit

it's really not a good distro either.

Debian is more upstream friendly overall as well and doesn't have "Not Made Here" syndrome.

though i guess macOS isn't all that great either.

its a shitty thinkpad

His battery life is wrong or his time is/he plugged it in to be cool.

His battery went down from 79% to 71% in but only affected the "hours on hand" by 20mins lol. He gets 4 hours on that thing browsing and max 11 when it's off in his mom's room.

fedora ftw

What are people doing to get 11 hours of battery life? Terminal on the lowest brightness?

I've never got anywhere near that on any machine on any OS, and "taxing" the system for me is running a browser.

macos is fine and does what it says on the tin, it's just every single hipster uses it and its incredibly bloated
aka ubuntu

literally do some research, you idiot
that laptop is supposed to last for up to 13h

they're small, low-powered laptops

Smart idea OP not gonna lie.

so were netbooks. those things are paperweights now.

I don't know. the actual os is pretty much a single user shitshow disguised as some "UNIX" bullshit OS.

Hell you use to be able to use a setuid bug to basically write to any arbitrary file.

also all those stupid UI shadows and shit.

meme magic

mostly powertop and something like laptop-mode-tools

also helps to have screen on 25% for maximum 18h battery life. bright screens are meh anyhow, I prefer my display be at 100 nit over the max, 400 nit or so. at max it's roughly 10h

He is fucking lying his battery went down by 8 percent during this post lol.

low-power also meant shit performance, not nowadays though

go to bed, you have school tomorrow

Literally understand basic math.
Percentage ratio 71/79=.89
"Time on hand ratio" 11.316/11.7 =.97
Shitposting get you max 5 hours which isnt much better than a Thinkpad

Lol don't be mad at me that I called you out and was right. LMFAO