I5 vs. i7

Is there really a huge difference when it comes to video games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4chk3fWb6xI
youtube.com/watch?v=cu_VmV8NM_M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes.

No. Hyperthreading is a meme, unless you write your program with the competing of resources in mind.

>Huge difference
No

Maybe. Depends on the application.

HT is better in the long run for doing more shit with your computer and gaming.

you DO do more with your computer than just game.......right user?

go on

Not much. Video games nowadays rely more on the gpu's memory.

a difference big enough to justify coughing up at least another hundred dollars? no

>150 dollaridoo difference between i5 and i7 in my country

just end my life

i7 is a needless upgrade compared to i5 unless you plan on doing multimedia work. You won't get any worthwhile performance difference in games.

The cooler is needless unless you're overclocking, which you don't really need to do these days, as games are heavily GPU bound (this is also the reason an i7 doesn't give huge performance gains over an i5 in games).

or you play a game that can use the extra threads, like anything that uses a physics engine.

huge difference? no. but if you buy an i5 you'll never have an i7

Yeah, the extra cores (assuming you didn't get the poorfag i7) and hyperthreading make a huge difference in modern games

>huge difference

Not really.

One quick Google search would answer this question

This thread shouldn't have 13 replies.

No, the extra money spent on an i7 is better off going towards an SSD or upgrading the GPU.

>roughly the same here
ayy australia is great

i like this, that's why i have pic related.

Performance difference? Negligible
Cock measuring contest points? Several inches difference

right now, there isn't.. there are some games that are quite cpu intensive, but for 95% an i5 will be enough.

But I whould never buy an i5 if I plan to keep the same hw for the next 5+ years, more and more games and programs will utilize more threads as time goes on.

>games
Why do you fucks think this is important?

i7 is so much smoother than the i5 when you have multiple things open.

Anyone who denies this is a fucking poorfag.

this. i5'ing is just a temporary cheap out. you'll get caught up in the gearfagging and i7 eventually.

then you're stuck with an i5.....so you'll find a cheap motherboard and make a whole 'nother i5 computer for doing other computer things.

i haven't apples to apples because my i7 is over a ghz faster than the i5, but it's snappy as fuck.

Look at the op

If you're gonna do PCI passthrough, i7 is a must.

Disagree

i'm poor.

What are you guys doing that would require an i7 besides gaymen?

quantum shitpostan

Huge? No.
A difference? Yes. Just how much depends on the game, but four proper physical cores is still the gaming sweet spot as it was in 2012.

When it comes to video games no. Perhaps CPU intensive games like Arma and Ark could benefit. But as a general rule no...unless it's a piss weak i5...but then again a piss weak CPU will always be a piss weak CPU nothing to do with it being an i5.

Apples to apples its roughly the same.

I just went from a 4460 to a 6700K. I am glad I did it. I was going for overkill and longevity. I know I don't need it.

Pic related: I'm an i7 owner on a high tier rig.

>huge

No.

feels good man. no need to upgrade my mobo so i just went with the drop in solution.

also got the coolermaster hyper 612 v2, not that pussy ass 212 evo.

...so why not post the cpuz bench

already did a while back.

most games don't utilize multiple cores well, and those that do tend to use physical cores instead of logical cores. however, gamers nexus found that watchdogs 2 ran way better on an i7 than an i5, so I think that major developers are beginning to utilize logical cores. if ubisoft is how far away is frostbite from doing so?

youtube.com/watch?v=4chk3fWb6xI

I just oc'd my 6600k to 4.1GHz and still got a bluescreen, wew lads!

Shitpost, moron, or genuinely unlucky you got a terrible chip.

Nice budget builds.

>Ultrawide 1080p and a GTX 1080 GPU
What did he mean by this?

No clue what I was doing, I'd turned off some kind of communication option for voltage regulation as I was going through the settings because my z170-A apparently said I could when doing an OC. After I changed it back it worked fine. So far,

Only in some games but when its there you really notice it.

My favorite Example is Fallout 4.

When you get an intense scene or go into the city you get major FPS crashing on both AMD and Nvidia cards. The reason for this is the excessive draw calls for shadows and the way the commands are threaded (its designed for consoles which have 8 Jaguar/Puma CPU cores.)

The FPS crashing is entirely due to a CPU bottleneck as the result of Bethesda being shitty game designers. As a result in order to get the best performance and avoid the FPS crash you need a Hyper threaded i7 chip with 4 logical cores to line up the extra draw calls.

You wont notice much in the average FPS but your minimums will be massively higher and there will be less stuttering with both Nvidia and AMD GPU's even in 1080p

Most games wont care but the ones that do really fucking do.

Thats why Zen is so enticing because AMD has built a CPU architecture that matches or passes Broadwell in per core performance and that will offer hyper-threading and unlocked multipliers for overclocking for a reduced price. Hyper threading an and being a 'k' part by default makes zen way more appealing to a regular gamer than the marginally higher overclocking and IPC of skylake/kaby lake.

If Zen offers an unlocked 4core/8thread chip for the price of an i5 they will be the only brand i reccomend for new builds.

Non HT and locked multiplier chips need to die and intel wont stop offering them until AMD forces them to.

ZEN MY NIGGA

It's simple... we ZUCC the Intel

I got smart and bought AMD stock when it was 2$ a share. I assumed that their Graphics market would not improve at all and my decision was based entirely on Jim Keller and the development of zen because I knew that regaining market share in the CPU side would get them way more money than graphics cards ever could.

Im very happy with my investment.

Fuck, when was this?
I keep telling mom to buy fucking gold and she never does
REE

this was over a year ago. Now the price is 12$ ish a share. I basically multiplied my money by 6 times and the stock will only go up after zen launches.

I had 100K in saving plus I took a mortgage on my house. So I will actually be a millionaire soon.

Mah nigga
How many shares did you buy? I bought just over 10k and still holding.

The stock was about 2.09$ when i bought and I had just under 180K so do the math cause im too lazy but yeah Im close to breaking 1mill and because i held the stock for longer than 1 year I only have the 15% capital gains tax when i do sell.

ProTip: only buy stocks for longtearm and only sell after more than a year of holding so you go from 30-35% taxes to 15%

Short term buying and selling is moronic as fuck unless you are a pro who does it for a living and can make the margins work.

Poor nigger, I'm going to be paying for a Ryzen build with the profits I've made on it and still have enough left over to buy an i7-6900K build for comparison's sake.

No.
Even people talking about "hurr but if you have 9 million tabs open while playing GTAV and streaming to twitch".
It's only noticeably beneficial if you plan to do content creation.

Relevant video
youtube.com/watch?v=cu_VmV8NM_M

>2008 + 9
>blaying video gayms :DDDd

OSX still gay and linux still a wast of time though

Well I'm glad you brahs made it

It's good you made money on investing, but what you did is incredibly dangerous and I hope you realize that. It's not something you should try again. No experienced investor would bet their life savings and house on a single company like you did. As a warning to you and others when it comes to making bets like this, never think about it as how much you can earn, always think about it as what you can afford to lose.

>No experienced investor would bet their life savings and house on a single company like you did
Fucking this. Stocks are still a risky venture, my shares in AMD offset my losses in 12 other stocks during that same period from Q3-2015 to Q3-2016. I made a profit, but I lost quite a lot from the turmoil between Q1 and Q3 of last year.

Just throw some money at it and get an i7 dogg. i5s are for broke ass niggas.

This. Instead I basically spent the $100 I saved on sessions of eating a dozen dunkin donuts and cranking it with a dildo up my ass. Sad!

no, get i5 + better video card than i7 and lower vid card

unless games are utilizing truly 4+cores then dont need i7
also i7 is 4 real cores hyperthreaded so its like asking if i3 or i5 for gaming, theres no real 8 core no hyper thread i7

i meant, that i5 is the sweetspot for being 4 real cores
you can think of the i7 as an i5 with more cache, that splits core horsepower for 2 threads
games dont need that yet
video editing and rendering, oh there you do need moar coars(with good ipc)

>but what you did is incredibly dangerous

No it wasnt. AMD will never go bankrupt because Intel needs them in the market to maintain the illusion of competition. If AMD ever went bust Intel would get broken up into pieces. They need AMD in the market selling at least some % of the CPU's or they wont maintain their secret monopoly.

So even if Zen/vega was a total flop I would lose hardly any money and might still make money because the stock would still have gone up higher than when i bought it. I knew that when the stock was under 2$ a share that was the absolute lowest it will ever go and the only direction was up regardless of their sales.

Stock investment is only dangerous if you are stupid.

>I knew that when the stock was under 2$ a share that was the absolute lowest it will ever go and the only direction was up regardless of their sales.

You didn't know anything for certain, and now you're too disillusioned with your "success" to admit it. AMD easily could have gone under. Have you even ran numbers on their finances from the time? They were bordering the point of no return from their debt burden while bleeding money like crazy in their primary markets. If the consumer electronics market didn't pull back to growth and continued the trend from when you bought in, you would be out of a fucking house right now. They were undervalued because their numbers said short of a miracle they would go under, in which case they probably would have sold all their IP and liquidated off to a foreign country just to pay back some debt.

>Stock investment is only dangerous if you are stupid.
Guess what user.

In all seriousness I hope this is a troll, for your sake.

I'm actually quite surprised, I figured that hyperthreading would have been standard in all processors since Pentium 4, to be honest.

2 years ago I'd say i7 is a fucking meme that simply makes no difference for gaymen crowd.

But badly optimized games and newest titles started using more than 4 cores. My 3570 bottlenecked my 1070 in games like Witcher 3, GTA 5 and Watchdogs 2. I'm not exactly sure if it's my CPU or 1600 ddram sticks but it really pisses you off when you pay $400 for a card and it shits itself cuz of rest of hardware. Especially if you want to play at anything higher than 60 fps, 99% of time having i7 will increase your fps by a lot.

I know the Anti-monopoly/anti-Trust laws. If AMD was going to implode it would have happened years ago when they were eyeballs deep in debt and lost most of the CPU/GPU market due to the bulldozer fiasco. Intel intentionally showed restraint in their practices to make sure AMD did not completely go over the cliff because they knew it would mean a break up for them.

Better to own 80% of a market than 100% and immediately get split in half by regulators.

You are a retard and I am but a hairs breadth from making my first million. I give zero fucks about your baseless criticisms.

So to clarify for other people, let's break down what you actually did.

It seems that you aren't understanding fully why this was a terrible decision.
What made this dangerous and stupid wasn't investing in AMD.
That could easily be justified.
The stupid part is...

>Putting your life savings and home into a company that had a good chance at going under.

Let's go a bit further on this.

Let's say AMD flopped, declared bankruptcy, sold off assets and vanished.
You lose ~160k.
Right?
No, you would lose much more than that.

Your money could earn about 10% investing conservatively with index funds year over year.
We'll go with a fairly standard time frame for an investing, about 5 years.
Take the 160k, see how far ahead you would be sitting on a conservative investment plan while continuing to add 16k a year.

Year 1:
Year 2:
Year 3:
Year 4:
Year 5:

Compare that to losing everything and reinvesting 16k a year and you have about...

Year 1:
Year 2:
Year 3:
Year 4:
Year 5:

Essentially, you bet 255k on a miracle where AMD did not go completely under.
That's what was stupid and I'm not even including interest or rent on having a place to live.

You had a very solid chance on getting that additional 255k.
You did not have as good of a chance on making a return of 600% in a year.

You can go on about "muh antitrust" but nobody ACTUALLY KNOWS how that would have played out. Seriously, go to an investing firm and tell them your story as a reason why they should hire you. You wouldn't get a job, you'd be the funny story they tell coworkers at lunch. Unless you have a time machine where you could see the future, you weren't sure of anything.

Don't quit the day job just yet.

>hyper 612 v2
If you're gonna spend that much on air cooling why not just get the noctua u12s?

>Putting your life savings and home into a company that had a good chance at going under.

See that is where you went full-retard, If there was even the remotest possibility of them going under I would not have bought the stock or i would have bought much less of it.

But due to the legal situation i previously stated there was no way in hell they would go under. Intel would not allow it for their own financial reason and would literally float them money if they had to in that situation (happened before).

>you could have made 355K in 5 years

But I made over 900K in just over 1 year on a stock that had no where to go but up and no chance of bankruptcy due to legal circumstances.

STOP......BEING......RETARDED!!! This isnt penny stocks on some foreign exchange dipshit. This is the primary rival of Intel corporation and its solvency is the only thing that allows them to have their soft monopoly the x86 processor market.

This. If you have money get i7. Its smooth af

That's a great technical analysis user, you should go to wall street and get a job there with your expert investing skills where you can tell them the only possible outcome was Intel handing money over to AMD so they could stay in business with their increasing debt burden and further losses every quarter. There was LITERALLY NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE for AMD's future. You're ready to steer the boat at a hedge fund kid!

when purely just gaming (literally nothing else going on in the background) no
but most people actually have background tasks, and yes an i7 makes a huge difference for those background tasks + a game
I actually have a computer that at this point only plays games and nothing else.
I have a secondary computer for everything else.

You're just extremely butthurt because you fancied yourself a pro at stocks and rank amateur managed to place a single correct bet and make more money in a year than you ever did. Its ok user I understand why you would feel inferior.

Again, no actual investor would be at all jealous, envious, or feel inferior for someone YOLO'ing their life savings on a single stock and striking it big. It's something that happens all the time. I don't have investing habits that mimic a gambling addiction while making all or nothing bets on an unsure outcome. I was just trying to inform the other more impressionable people on this humble forum that while you were successful in your bet, what you did was incredibly dangerous as a life and financial decision. That's why I've been explaining for other people, not you. You're lost in your own illusions of there being no other possible outcome besides what occurred. I would actually hope for your own sake that you didn't make the bet at all, which is more likely at this point.

>You're lost in your own illusions of there being no other possible outcome besides what occurred

you sound like one of those dipshit liberals who cant fathom how Trump got elected. Get over yourself you pathetic tool.

ayy ITS LIKE THAT EVERYWHERE